Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Erin R's 50 Books of 2010

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments I just recently started getting back into reading last year, so lets see if I can complete this challenge!

message 2: by Erin (last edited Jan 14, 2010 05:51AM) (new)

Erin | 22 comments 1. [image error]The ShackbyWilliam P. Young

This book took me a while to get through as it wasn't one I would normally read but my mom gave it to me. It wasn't too bad though, there were definitely a few points in the story that just made you stop and think about your own life and values. Overall I ended up liking it.

message 3: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick | 351 comments oh i really was moved by the book, true there are stop and think sessions throughout the story.

what is next on your list?>

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments Right now I am reading Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson. It should be a quick easy read. I started it yesterday and am already 100 pages into it.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 2. Sundays at Tiffany's by James PattersonSundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson

This was a nice quick read for me, it only took me about 3 days to get through which is impressive for me. It was a cute love story, a very different style for Patterson but I enjoyed it.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 3. The Thief of Always A Fable by Clive Barker The Thief of Always: A Fable by Clive Barker

This was definitely a different type of book for me. It was more geared towards a younger audience but it was still a pretty good story. It took me a little longer to get through since it wasn't really my style.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments I'm reading another James Patterson book right now so I hope I knock off #4 in the next few days.

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 4. The 8th Confession (Women's Murder Club #8) by James Patterson The 8th Confession by James Patterson

This was a slower James Patterson read for me, it actually took me a little longer than the normal 3-4 days.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 5. How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls by Zoey Dean How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls by Zoey Dean

It took me a while to get into this book but once I finally did I really enjoyed it. It was well written and made me want to interact with the characters whether I loved or hated them, or loved to hate them. It was a bit predictable but I think most books of this genre tend to be that way so I wasn't getting my hopes up too far with that aspect.

message 10: by Erin (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:55AM) (new)

Erin | 22 comments 6. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

This book took me a while to get into at first with its jumpy structure, I really had to make sure I paid attention to what I was reading. Once I got into it I really enjoyed the book as you really felt for the character of Eddie and all of his hardships he endured throughout his life.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 7. Tuesdays with Morrie An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom.

I really enjoyed this book a lot more than I ever thought I would. It was a great story about a man who touched many lives and was diagnosed with ALS and didn't let the disease stop him from continuing his teachings. The book was filled with many great lessons on life, love, death, happiness. I highly recommend this book to others.

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments If you are interested Erin, the Ted Koppel interviews are on youtube.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments Thank you, I will have to check those out!

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 8. The Last Song by Nicholas SparksThe Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.

This was my first Nicholas Sparks book and I enjoyed it. I like his style of writing as it was a pretty quick read for me. The story was good but it was a bit predictable, I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen about 100 pages into the book, if not sooner. I kind of want to go see the movie now but everyone I know who has read the book has said that is a bad idea, we'll see.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 9. Running with Scissors by Augusten BurroughsRunning with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

This book was definitely odd, I wasn't really sure what it was about but had heard a lot of good things about it so I wanted to check it out. Although parts of the book made me mad, I still enjoyed it and became hooked on reading about the characters crazy lives. I think it ended too abruptly though, but I don't really know how else it could have ended. Overall I enjoyed it and want to check out some of the author's other books as I liked his style of writing.

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 10. The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate JacobsThe Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.

It took me quite a while to get into this book, but once I finally did I was pretty hooked into each of the characters lives. I was pretty disappointed with the ending of the book as I feel like the author explained Georgia's death in 2 pages and how the others dealt with it in another 1-2 pages and then gave brief summaries of the rest of their lives to finish up the book. She got us so into each of the characters only to leave us hanging like that at the end.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 11. She's Come Undone by Wally LambShe's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

This book was very interesting. I had been wanting to read it for quite a while after hearing about the plot and hearing good things about Lamb's writing style and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. After reading reviews and seeing how many bad ratings this book got I began wondering if it was a mistake that I went out and bought the book. But despite all of the bad reviews, I thought Lamb did very well depicting the crazy life of Dolores Price and all of the people in her life. For my next book I am going to try the more challenging 900+ page read of his.

message 18: by Connie (last edited Jul 19, 2010 09:43AM) (new)

Connie Faull | 326 comments Erin wrote: "11.She's Come Undone by Wally LambShe's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

This book was very interesting. I had been wanting to read it for quite a while after hearing about ..."

She's Come Undone was my least favorite of Wally Lamb's 4 books. I really loved I Know This Much Is True and The Hour I First Believed. He also wrote an absolutely HILARIOUS little book for Christmas called "Wishin & Hopin" which I loved (although I did hear some bad reviews for it, although I think they were by people without a sense of humor who were looking for something closer to Lamb's other novels, which "Wishin & Hopin" is a complete departure for him).

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments I am reading I know This Much is True now.. well I'm like 5 pages into it haha.

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 12. Home Before Dark by Susan WiggsHome Before Dark by Susan Wiggs.

This book was given to me by my mother about a week ago with her saying it will be a quick beach read, and that is exactly what it was. It reminded me a of a James Patterson type book with the short chapters, definitely helped me get through it quicker. I thought it was a pretty decent book, describing the love of two sisters and all of their trials and tribulations from over the years and how finding their way back to each other everything fell back into place. I like how Wiggs developed the story line of one of the sisters of how she found herself throughout the story, she found herself, she found out how to love, she found out how to cope, etc...

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 13. Hold Tight by Harlan CobenHold Tight by Harlan Coben.

This was another book given to me by my mother and yet again I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was well written and suspenseful. There were a lot of different plot lines in the book which all tied in together at the end. Coben did a great job at describing each of the characters and making you really feel like you know them and could guess what they'd do next and so on. I think I will just have to check out some more of his books.

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 14. Crazy Love A Novel by David Lozell MartinCrazy Love: A Novel by David Lozell Martin.

I really enjoyed this book... until the end. It was a different type of story that I would normally read. First off it took place in Appalachia so you get a whole different type of story just coming from there. But this book was a unique love story, love between man and woman, love between people and animals, etc... Love was found in many unexpected ways in this novel. Like I said at the beginning I really liked the book, until the end. I hate how authors kill off a main character (which you kind of knew was going to happen at some point because all of his talk about funerals and who would attend) and then sum up the rest of the characters lives in a few pages. Granted it went on for more than a few pages because they described the funeral, but other than that I hated how it ended.

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 15. The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, No. 3) by Dan BrownThe Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

This was the third book of Dan Brown's that I have read. I liked it, but it was a little slow to get into. Plus after reading both DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons, this book seemed pretty predictable. I did however like how it was based in Washington DC so there were things that I was familiar with and some thing I never even knew existed in DC. Kind of makes me want to take a trip back there and check some of those things out.

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 16. Cross Country (Alex Cross, #14) by James PattersonCross Country by James Patterson.

This was the first of the Alex Cross series that I have read. It was a typical Patterson book for me, as it was a quick easy read. After reading the reviews for it I really wasn't getting my hopes up as there were a lot of poor reviews for it. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit tough. I liked the cross-continent plot lines. And there really were a lot of current issues brought to light with this book, it was as political as it was mysterious. There were some things in it that I thought Patterson was trying too hard and got off course of the story line but for the most part it was a good book that I really enjoyed. I'm hoping my mom has more books from this series so I can read more of them.

message 25: by Erin (new)

Erin | 22 comments 17. 7th Heaven (Women's Murder Club, #7) by James Patterson7th Heaven by James Patterson.

I believe this is the 3rd book I have now read in the Women's Murder Club series and so far I have enjoyed them all. This was a typical Patterson quick read book, which I enjoy that style, finished it in about 4 days I believe. He did a good job giving us readers a few different plot lines to go along with throughout the book and to tying them all into one another.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shack (other topics)
Sundays at Tiffany's (other topics)
The Thief of Always (other topics)
The 8th Confession (other topics)
How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wm. Paul Young (other topics)
James Patterson (other topics)
Clive Barker (other topics)
Zoey Dean (other topics)
Mitch Albom (other topics)
More...