Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Outlander Movie

Comments (showing 951-1,000 of 1,065) (1065 new)    post a comment »

message 951: by Sue (new)

Sue Pittman | 94 comments Ever since a movie was being talked about many years ago, I have thought of Catherine Zeta Jones as Claire. She's beautiful, curvy, and English. Yesh, I know she's too old now to play the younger Claire. But, the young actress, Hayley Atwell, comes very close to how I imagine Claire to be. She's also a really talented actress who we know can play a great period role. (Pillars of the Earth)

Catherine Zeta Jones
Photobucket

Haylet Atwell

Photobucket

Photobucket

message 952: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2842 comments Haley Atwell isn't pretty good.

I love Catherine Zeta-Jones and she's absolutely gorgeous, but I'm not sure I think she looks like Claire. Claire's skin was pale,almost translucent...

message 953: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2842 comments I found this...

http://www.literaryescapism.com/13399...

It pretty much says that at a book signing Diana has mentioned that the script for the movie is pretty much completed and that now they are looking for financial backing...

These are both from back in September 2010, but hey, it's an update. And a positive one... it helps my hopes.

Claudia | 21 comments So many actors could play Claire and yet only one will match the Claire we visualize...and everone visualizes someone different. LOL! But it's fun to think about. I also like Kate Magowan(Stardust)to play Claire.

message 955: by Lisa (last edited Jan 30, 2011 04:37PM) (new)

Lisa Wendy wrote: "I found this...

It pretty much says that at a book signing Diana has mentioned that the script for the movie is pretty much completed a..."

Well as far as updates go, Diana "recently" (well, recently means her own last comment on that matter about August/September 2010) said that Anne Peacock (adapted Narnia for the big screen) will write (or already has written ? ; )the script (which also means that Randall Wallace got kicked out - yay!! XD)

Concerning the cast: I stumbled across Peter Sarsgaard recently. I've seen him a couple of times in various movies but when I saw him yesterday it kind of struck me: IMO he would be a great Randall. He is very likable and also attractive but he can also appear very very sadistic and I believe that he would make a GREAT sadistic pervert. I think he'd be much better than the all-famous Jason Isaacs (who I love but casting him would be too predictable and boring) b/c he (Sarsgaard) can range between soft/sweet and also weak/sadistic - his eyes can easily appear cold and dastardly evil but he when he combines that with a charming smile he comes across very endearing. Perfect mixture IMO.

Here he is, for those of you who don't know who I'm talking about ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P56S7...

Another one who would make a great Randall would be Colin Firth IMO. But he's too old unfortunately.

message 956: by Alex (new)

Alex (AlexC1988) | 33 comments Lisa wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I found this...

It pretty much says that at a book signing Diana has mentioned that the script for the movie is pretty much c..."

Never thought about Peter Sarsgaard... But he would be pretty awesome!!!!
I gree with your choice of actor! :P

Sandy (sandyc88) | 183 comments I think Hayley Atwell is a good choice for Claire. At first I thought she was too young, but she's 28 which is perfect for Outlander. (My top fantasy pick is still Kate Winslet though.) :-)

Peter Sarsgaard - Very nice choice for Randall.

On another note, my #1 candidate for Roger Mac, Henry Cavill, just landed the role of Superman.

http://www.laineygossip.com/Henry_Cav...

message 958: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2842 comments Another Superman? Wow.

I loved Brandon Routh as Superman in Superman returns. He looks so much like Christopher Reeve.

Lynda | 62 comments In my opinion, that Allan douglas name? that is pictured from the Outlander musical is rather ugly. Eyes are not too bad, but nose is not good and his mouth is little and not generous as Jamie's is supposed to be. He must be some kind of actor, because he certainly looks stiff in the photos. Seems that if they went to the trouble of doing the musical he could at least have had a wig to cover the ugly crew cut. As for the musical, the main song is not too bad, but the rest is poor stuff.

message 960: by Lisa (last edited Feb 01, 2011 08:37AM) (new)

Lisa Alan Douglas Scott. Yeah, he might be tall, read-headed and scottish - but he doesn't look like Jamie at all. Diana said that he would be the first one who would come to her mind if she had to decide. But concerning his face and his aura - nope, no Jamie there.

speaking of diana, do you know what totally annoys me? I don't know if you follow DGs Blog, but she frequently writes, as an answer to several suggestions considering the casting, that SHE actually knows what the character looks like and makes it always seem as if she was the only one who knows what Jamie etc look like.
IMO this is SO arrogant. I mean, the minute she published the novel, the characters weren't only hers anymore, meaning that everybody who fell in love with them had their own genuine image in their minds - so everybody knows what Jamie looks like. The images may (and do ;)) differ, but that's not the point.

Hayley Atwell is totally growing on me. She is a good actress and physically she's got everything as well. I think she would be even better than Keira and Kate.

message 961: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2842 comments I like Haley too. She's definitely moving up my list. I could absolutely see her in the roll.

I get irritated by how Brusque DG is. She seems always to be irritated or angry. Completely different from Maggie Stiefvater (wrote shiver). I don't love Maggie's books NEARLY as much as I love Outlander, but she always seems funny and nice even when she's being stern.

Sharonh | 472 comments SO UNKIND...both of you! Alan Douglas Scott is not my idea of Jamie either....but ugly??? No he isn't ugly...and Diana likes him. He isn't handsome or sexy but he has a wonderful speaking voice. And calling her arrogant?? Its HER book....WE just get to read it! She is a wonderful, friendly person who cares about her readers and takes time to answer questions...she can say ANYTHING she wants to about HER books and HER characters...after all SHE is all of the characters herself...if you have read Outlandish Companion you would know she states the SHE is even Black Jack Randall....all of them came from her talented imagination......didn't your mother teach you if you don't have something nice to say...don't say anything at all?

Sharonh | 472 comments Sometimes people as smart as DG is come off as brusque or irritated....I don't think she means to be that way at all. I must have missed some interviews because I have never seen her be ugly to anyone.

Joyce (js33) Hi, I'm new to your group. Just found Outlanders in January and am on Drums. Diane has co authored a graphic book which I'm sorry I saw. I have in my mind a much nicer group that are portrayed in the book. Have you seen it?

Joyce (js33) On the movies, I only ever saw Sean Connery as Jamie.
Wonder if they could "young" him up enough.

message 966: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Feb 01, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2842 comments It's not so much as 'ugly' to people. It feels like more of an exasperation.

I do see what Lisa is saying though. Just that when you write a book you are opening the door for other people to have an interpretation of your words and descriptions. Those aren't wrong or right, just different.

Still, I always look to DG's opinions when I think of a actor to play a role. She says Jamie has the body of a muscular basketball player, not a football player. She says that his face and body are leaner. And that alot of the actors people like are too old. If DG says that someone isn't right for the role, then I wipe them off my list because like it or not she is going to be the expert on it.

Cheryl (Cherlena) | 22 comments Oh, I agree that Henry Cavill would make a great Roger Mac. :) I also really like Hayley Atwell as Claire. Peter Sarsgaard as Jack Randall and Frank would also be a good fit.

Good picks!

message 968: by Lisa (last edited Feb 01, 2011 09:52AM) (new)

Lisa Sharonh wrote: "SO UNKIND...both of you! Alan Douglas Scott is not my idea of Jamie either....but ugly??? No he isn't ugly...and Diana likes him. He isn't handsome or sexy but he has a wonderful speaking voice. ..."

Wow, you must have mistunderstood me :o First of all I was ONLY talking about the look of the character..not the character traits etc...I read the companion, I know what you mean and I don't doubt that she is the expert on the personalities of the characters. What I meant was simply that I personally think that it is a bit rude to kind of tell people, who love her characters, that SHE is THE ONE who knows what the characters LOOK LIKE, which kind of gave me the feeling that she took our freedom of imagining our own Jamie and coming up with actors, who come close to OUR imagination, away.
I highly respect DG for her writing talent and for the great novels she gave us - but that doesn't mean that I have to like her, have I? And that just added to the impression I already had of her from interviews,comments and stuff. But everybody is entitled to his or her opinion, right?
Peace ;)

Joyce (js33) A writers talent is to bring characters to life in our minds. Of course, they will be different - but each is special to the owner. I looked up Alan and he doesn't come close to fitting my image. Doesn't look "rough enough", but he's cute!

Carren Kay | 887 comments All this discussion is very exciting! Can you imagine if we were chosen to cast the movie? Would we ever agree who should play Jamie and Claire? Let alone all the other characters. Maybe whoever will be in charge of casting the movie will see all of these discussions and take notes.

message 971: by Lisa (last edited Feb 01, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Lisa Yeah, very exciting. Oh, but imagine if we all could chose the actors - we would probably never come to an end and discuss until the end of days :D And no way that everybody will be satisfied, either with the actors, the script, the director, the costumes, the accuracy...there is always sth that people complain about ;)
I also don't necessarily think that the casting people would read blogs etc and take notes. I can imagine them watching some of the youtube videos but nothing more. Remember when Twilight was about to be made and Robert Pattinson was announced to be Edward - a petition against Robert as Edward with thousands of signatures was given to the producers - nobody cared :D
I think that we can only judge on the looks and the previous movies of the actors - but the director talks to them, examines them in the castings etc etc. They know so much more so we should judge the chosen actors not until we have seen the movie. I'm just thinking about Heath Ledger as the Joker - before the movie came out SO MANY people said "no, he doesn't look like the joker, he doesn't fit bla bla bla...". We all know how it turned out :) Hopefully Outlander will get a good director...having Ann Peacock as writer seems to be pretty lucky, shes good.

Btw, do you have any idea how the movie should be called? B/c "Outlander" is already taken by a sciencefiction/viking movie. maybe we could let our imagination work on that a little bit :)

Carren Kay | 887 comments How about "Cross Stitch"? That's the title of the book in the UK.

message 973: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2842 comments I bet that they still call it 'Outlander', but maybe with a subtitle... like 'Outlander, Through Time'... not that, because after writing it it sounds laME! But something like that.

Michelle Kelly (AnotherLookBook) | 25 comments I think it is so bizzare how people picture the characters in their head. I'll give you another example. In JR Ward's BDB series, she is very specific about Zadist's facial scar. I could picture it completly. Very easy visual. Yet when you look at all the fan art, there are so many different variations of that scar. It so shocks me. So basically what I am saying is that the author completly sees their character and what exactly the character is supposed to look like, yet the readers (even given specific descriptions) sees something else.

I happen to adore Allan Scott-Douglas for Jamie. I am especially behind him if the author is routing for him. When I think back to other castings, I would never have thought that Viggo Mortensen could have played Aragon however he was AMAZING. The point is that we are just fans with opionions not professional casting directors and they get paid a huge amount of money for casting correctly. I have a wee crush on Allan as I have been following him on Twitter and I love his personality. His personality will come across in the character. (how can you not adore a man who visits his Gran regularly) But the truth is, Dianna has repeatedly said, she has no say whatso ever. I love how she has held out for the right movie offer and didn't just jump at the first chance. I respect her so much for that.

Sharonh | 472 comments I guess when I think of Jamie in a kilt I have been picturing the covers of the Highlander series of books by Karen Marie Moning.....:) yeehaw...blush...but the picture of Allan in his kilt and the plaid draped around his shoulder (and I am sure thats how it was worn or is worn)makes him looked too covered up and we can't see if he has a body that would do Jamie proud. I guess I have turned into a cougar!!!! But I do like to see some young man skin! LOL. He might look great with less clothes on...ahem...if you know what I mean. And longer hair would help too. I just can't see Jamie with short hair...even Claire was surprised how he looked when he cut it that one time in DIA.

message 976: by Sue (new)

Sue Pittman | 94 comments As for the name of the movie, It would have been great to have combined some of the names such as "Outlander, the Voyager". But, that will probably be title of the third movie if it ever gets made. Heck, I'm wondering if the firat one is ever going to get made!! I've been hearing about a possible movie for ten years!!

Maybe a little change from "Outlander" to "The Outlander" could be done; or "Outlander: Cross Stitch".

Sandy (sandyc88) | 183 comments I like "Sassenach" for a title, but it's not really commercially marketable!

message 978: by Lisa (last edited Feb 02, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

Lisa Concidering Jamies hair:

Doesn't he have short hair in the beginning of Outlander? Like, REALLY short hair? I mean, he came straight out of the monastery where they had to shave his hair off (wound on his head) and Claire also asks him in the beginning why he has short hair while all the other guys wear their hair long and/or in a ponytail. (Thats the only major thing that bugged me bout The Exile b/c Jamie had long hair there)

I don't know how you imagine his hair. In my imagination its never much longer than shoulder-length and just long enough to tie it back in a ponytail and the color is quite like Rupert Grints hair.

message 979: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2842 comments When Claire meets him it's shorter then the other men's hair, but it's not really short, like buzzed. They shaved it intially but it had grown back quite a bit by the time he comes back from the Abbey.

Claire said that it was long enough to pull back with a thong, but not long enough to braid.

message 980: by Lisa (last edited Feb 02, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Lisa Like that?
(only the length - not necessarily the haircut ;)...though I personally would like him to have some kind of a fringe)
http://www.sponkit.com/wp-content/upl...
(awww, he's so cute ;))

message 981: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I like this haircut for Jamie ... and the face as well ;)
http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image...

message 982: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2842 comments (I love Rupert Grint, lol. Ron is such a sweetheart.)

Yeah, I think it may be a LITTLE longer then the picture of Chris. Claire said he could pull it back into a little ponytail at the base of his head. But yeah, closer to that.

Sandy (sandyc88) | 183 comments Lisa wrote: "I like this haircut for Jamie ... and the face as well ;)
http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image..."

Very nice, Lisa. I like it a LOT!

Sharonh | 472 comments He is a cutie for sure. My son's used to be almost this red but it is lighter red now that he is all grown up!

Estrella | 7 comments I'm loving that picture of Chris!! He has totally become Jamie for me!! LOL

Nadia (Tribalrose) | 11 comments Carren wrote: "How about "Cross Stitch"? That's the title of the book in the UK."

Being from Australia, I originally knew it as Cross Stitch... I have to keep reminding myself that Outlander is the same book! :D

Cheryl (Cherlena) | 22 comments I just saw the trailer for Thor and maybe Chris Hemsworth might make a good Jamie after all.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2684...

message 988: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Yey, there's a 2nd Thor Trailer! And Chris is so....yummy ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBnrJ...

Daniela | 2 comments Hello Joyce, I am new to this group as well! I did get a chance to see the first few pages of the graphic novel and I am very glad that I did not see it before I read the novels. None of the characters were at all what I had pictured in my mind. And as you can see from all the comments, we Outlander fans have a VERY specific idea of what Jamie, Claire and gang should look like.

Alicia (goodreadscom5shiffletts) | 3 comments I'm new to the group as well. I do have to say that Chris Hemsworth would cover my image of Jaime! He is YUMMY!

message 991: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Alicia wrote: "I'm new to the group as well. I do have to say that Chris Hemsworth would cover my image of Jaime! He is YUMMY!"
Agreed*sigh*. Damn he fits my vision of Jamie soooooo well.
Also-men like that exist? Really? I've been hanging in the wrong places, dammit, lol*still sighing*.

message 992: by Alicia (last edited Feb 19, 2011 01:48PM) (new)

Alicia (goodreadscom5shiffletts) | 3 comments Mimi wrote: "Alicia wrote: "I'm new to the group as well. I do have to say that Chris Hemsworth would cover my image of Jaime! He is YUMMY!"
Agreed*sigh*. Damn he fits my vision of Jamie soooooo well.
Also-m..."

Haha! There are some hot guys being produced in Australia....I wonder if I can convince my husband to let me take a vacation to Austrailia! ;-)

message 993: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Hmmm, just checked. Australia is literally the place furthest from home. Damn!!! Where else are hot men centered???
Please, just a hint.....

message 994: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorilkb76gmailcom) | 1 comments I think Kate Winslet could pull off Claire. She has the wild hair and the attitude. Her eyes also seem right and she is brilliant.

Evelando | 95 comments Diana just tweeted that there's an almost contract for a miniserie about Outlander on cable tv! YAY!!!!

Sandy (sandyc88) | 183 comments How exciting!

I just had to look at her Twitter page when I saw your post...says she will be a co-producer and consultant, which means they can't ruin it! :-)

message 997: by Sara (new)

Sara (saragr) | 91 comments Yay!!!! I really hope this happens! :)

Evelando | 95 comments That thing makes me even happier, because she will positively have the last word (like JK Rowling seemed to have on the Harry Potter movies!)

Diane | 480 comments Wow that would be sooooo awesome! I hope everything goes through! My opinion was always that a mini series would be a better fit for Outlander than a movie.

Lilly ~ Lihllith~ (Lihllith) | 12 comments I've been bouncing up and down ever since I read Diana Gabaldon's tweet.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/ron-m...

I was in shock when I saw it and actually asked for which series. Just in case it was for her Lord John Grey Series. When she tweeted me back saying Outlander, I lost it! Completely lost it!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

One for the Money (other topics)