Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Outlander Movie

Comments (showing 851-900 of 1,064) (1064 new)    post a comment »

message 851: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Jan 16, 2011 11:15AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments Frances O'Connor is 44 too. She'd be a better older Claire.

Gemma is still my favorite (she's 25). I don't think I'd describe her as exotic, I see her more as classic.

I agree Sue, Cate Blancette has always been my Geillis too! She's perfect.

message 852: by Heather (last edited Jan 16, 2011 11:45PM) (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Darn it! Ok, I am on a quest to find the perfect Claire...
What about...
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm150664550...
Ok, just looked back at past posts and saw that Diana has actually said that Keira Knightly is the closest to Claire...yea for me!:)

message 853: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments I thought she said that she'd do the personality well but she'd need to gain weight.

I could see her having the personality, but she does need to be a little curvier. Thats an easy fix though.

message 854: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Absolutely...Keira is beautiful, good actor but she is a stick! Waaaaaay too thin and no boobs!

message 855: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments She's gotta have that wide arse that Jamie is always talking about.

message 856: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Sharonh wrote: "Absolutely...Keira is beautiful, good actor but she is a stick! Waaaaaay too thin and no boobs!"
I agree! She totally needs to gain a lot of weight, but she has the acting chops, the face, and the attitude....and she would be the right age. I would love to see her in the role. Also- did you all see the new website?? Fabulous! Does anyone own the Outlander musical CD?

message 857: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Saw it, love it but don't have the Outlander CD.

message 858: by Lisa (last edited Jan 17, 2011 10:37AM) (new)

Lisa I like Keira and I wouldn't have a problem if she played Claire.

The musical is not my thing - sounds too much like Pocahontas (not that I don't love Pocahontas...) and it's way too cheesy for my taste. The thing that really freaks me out is that Jamie is actually singing...no, thank you :D

message 859: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments That's what bothers me too. Jamie is tone-deaf!

message 860: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments You know, I hadn't thought of that! No way could Jamie sing....but I think its okay to have a musical...if thats what some folks like or want.

message 861: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments I listened to the sample on the website. I think the Mo Chuisle... song is nice, but the other ones are pretty corny. They do have good voices though. Good point about Jamie singing...thats funny! I wonder why Diana didnt mention that.

message 862: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yeah, I have the Mo Chuisle song as my ringtone on my cell phone. People look at me funny when it rings too, but I don't care....I love it!

message 863: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 39 comments I really am warming to the idea of Chris Hemsworth playing Jamie. He is really gaining experience now with these international roles. Looking at the trailer for Thor it looked like he could do the tough warrior role too which I never thought he had in him. He is an evolving actor I think. Would love to see him in an emotional role to judge his ability to play our Jamie. Funnily enough he cut his teeth in an Australian soapie called Home and Away where he played the part of a younger man falling for and eventually marrying an older woman and guess what... she was a doctor too. Maybe it is a sign. I agree with previous comment about Sam Worthington he does have the personality.... shame that he doesn't have the physical characteristics because he could carry off the emotional role brilliantly.

message 864: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 109 comments watch emily on a few things...then I think you can see Claire...she has the fire and intelligence and the curves...check her out then decide.

message 865: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 109 comments bottom line is whoever has to have the chemistry with Chris or "Jamie" that will be the deciding factor

message 866: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Coralie wrote: "I really am warming to the idea of Chris Hemsworth playing Jamie. He is really gaining experience now with these international roles. Looking at the trailer for Thor it looked like he could do th..."
So weird! I heard the name Chris Hemsworth on this sight a couple times, and I think I even looked at his picture and didn't see what people were talking about...but then I saw him on The Golden Globes last night, and I am not kidding you, when I first saw him, I thought "Now he would play a good Jamie!" I didn't even put two and two together. But yes, he could definitely pull it off in the looks dept. I have not seen his acting. I think that would be more important to me than his looks. What do you guys think about the guy that plays Jamie in the musical (Allan Scott Douglas, I think)? Diana mentions that he fits the bill as far as she's concerned.

message 867: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Jan 18, 2011 05:53AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments I don't think he's attractive enough. He has the height and the red hair, but I don't see him anything like Jamie.

Carolyn - I'm not strongly opposed to Emily. She's definitely in my list of top 3 actress possibilities (Blunt, Weiss, Arterton). I saw her in The Devil Wears Prada, Dan in Real Life and Sunshine Cleaning. She's a great actress and I think she has Claire's personality, for sure. She's got the gumption. In that regard, she's perfect. I'm just not sure that I see her face as Claire's as much as I see Chris as Jamie, that's all. If they gave her the part I wouldn't complain, I'd be happy with it.

message 868: by Latinlandish (last edited Jan 18, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Allan Scott Douglas as Jamie? No way Jose. Allan is as charming as a boiled egg with no salt or pepper. Chris H. would be a much better choice.

Keyra as Claire? If she can put up some 30 lbs, I would consider the possibility. She has no boobs, and she is missing the fabulous round arse that Jamie loves so much.
Claire is voluptuous, rounded , feminine.

I have thought that maybe I never want to see an Outlander movie. Jamie and Claire are so perfect in my mind, I don't want to spoil this image!

message 869: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments I agree Latinlandish...it's too bad we can't all have our own personal vision of the book made into a movie. I'm afraid that is the only way everyone would be happy. But it's fun to imagine!

message 870: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 18, 2011 11:23PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 136 comments What sealed Emily for me was her role in Wolfman. She looked convincing in period costume, has a great pretty-yet-still-plain look with little to no makeup, and she can act.

message 871: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Viviano | 3 comments I am nervous about there being a movie at all. They don't usually do the book justice. I do think Chris would be a good Jamie.... he is easy on the eyes to be sure :)

message 872: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments I think thats why I have a problem. I never saw Claire with a plain but pretty face. She sees herself as nothing spectacular, but all the men think she's beautiful.

I wish she wasn't out of the age range, because my absolute favorite idea for Claire is still Rachel Weiss.

message 873: by Lori (new)

Lori (ScholarlyMe) | 46 comments I think I may have discovered the perfect Roger for the movie. Matthew Goode who played with Amy Adams in Leap Year - with scraggly hair and beard and buffed up a little more and maybe some green contact lenses, I think he fits the bill. How do you all post a picture? I still think Emily Blunt is the best choice for Claire. Jamie? You all have got the red hair thing all wrong. Chris Hemworth does not have red hair! Of course, they could fix that.

message 874: by Sue (new)

Sue Pittman | 94 comments Lori wrote: "I think I may have discovered the perfect Roger for the movie. Matthew Goode who played with Amy Adams in Leap Year - with scraggly hair and beard and buffed up a little more and maybe some green c..."

To post a picture, I joined Photobucket. Download your pictures ther and then they'll give you a code to use to post one here.

message 875: by Beth (new)

Beth | 22 comments Love love love Chris Hemsworth! He's the only one I can picture now, he just has everything. As far as Keira Knightly goes, eh, I'm just not feeling it. I've liked many of her movies, but she's just one of those actresses that brings alot of herself into her roles, and I just don't feel she could really "be" Claire, she'd be Keira Knightly acting like Claire. I'm probably in the minority, but I just love Abbie Cornish. She's just a tremendous actress that can become the character she's playing. She has the right coloring (I'm betting her natural hair color is about what Claire's would be) and she has the most stunning eyes that scream Claire. She also has a little more junk in the trunk than many of these actresses listed;) Emily Blunt is a great actress as well who can become a character, I wouldn't be disappointed if she were to get the part, I just "see" Abbie more in the role:)

message 876: by Heather (last edited Jan 19, 2011 12:07PM) (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments I actually really like Emily Blunt for Claire:
http://www.trailershut.com/actor-imag...
I haven't see her in anything though....what is she known for?

message 877: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments I can see Abbie Cornish too. She's got the face I think of when I imagine Claire. Round and softly pretty. Emily's a great option, but her face is all angles.

Claire's face doesn't have to be as perfect as Jamie's though. Claire could be a little shorter as long as she's curvy. Her face shape and type aren't as clearly defined. Jamie HAS to be tail with slanted blue eyes and red hair, his description is too important to the story (Chris Hemsworth!), but provided she's got the curls, her face could be Emily's or Abbie's for me.

message 878: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 19, 2011 03:04PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 136 comments Wendy wrote: "I think thats why I have a problem. I never saw Claire with a plain but pretty face. She sees herself as nothing spectacular, but all the men think she's beautiful.

I wish she wasn't out of ..."

I think that the men think she's beautiful because she had the advantage of living in more modern times, so she isn't as worn out looking as many of the women were back then. I never got that she was a "beauty" but more of a slightly attractive woman that had advantage of modern skin care among other things.

message 879: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Ok, forgive me for being off topic here...but has anybody seen the mini series of Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth??--WOW!

message 880: by Northern Light (new)

Northern Light (NorrthernLight) | 189 comments Heather wrote: "Ok, forgive me for being off topic here...but has anybody seen the mini series of Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth??--WOW!"

It was brilliant. Have you read the book and the follow up World Without End. If not I recommend both.

message 881: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments No, I havent read the books yet, but I will!

message 882: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments I took this off Diana's new site.

Movies, Mini-Series, and Musicals
Has anyone ever thought of making a movie of your books?

You know, whenever someone asks this, I’m always tempted to strike my forehead theatrically and cry, “Why, NO! That would never have occurred to me. What a great idea!” But I mostly don’t.

Yes, the books have been optioned several times for their film rights, and Outlander is currently under option. It’s the sort of situation where you don’t hold your breath, but just wait and see what happens.

So, who would you cast to play Jamie and Claire?

Well, on the one hand, I don’t watch television at all, and see movies only on DVD, so I know very few actors by name (I was actually obliged to subscribe to People magazine in order to know who the producers were talking about when they mentioned potential cast-ees). On the other hand, acting is an art, just like writing novels. An actor’s ability to embody a character is a lot more important than simple physical similarity, I think. And on the third hand…I know what Jamie and Claire actually look like, and I can’t say I’ve ever seen any actors who look strikingly like them.

There are, however, any number of readers who have Very Definite Ideas about who should be cast in an eventual movie, and some of these have been inspired to make their own mini-casting videos. We’ve collected as many of these as we could find on my YouTube Channel –all except the ones suggesting that Sandra Bullock play Claire; the nice person who does the YouTube Channel for me absolutely refused to include any of those, as a matter of personal principle.

I’ll refrain from comment on these suggestions myself {g}, other than noting that I think a few of you are not considering that if/when a film is made, it would presumably be of OUTLANDER, not the later books. And while I certainly think Kevin McKidd and Gerard Butler are both fine actors, there’s no way either one could possibly play a 22-year-old virgin.

Now, I have absolutely no say in the casting; that’s entirely up to the producers/director/casting director, etc.—though the producers are courteous enough now and then to ask me what I think of this or that possibility. The chief producer did say he was considering the possibility of casting an unknown Scottish actor to play Jamie, and had an eye out, but had not so far seen anyone who looked at all like Jamie. “Really?” I said. “I have.”

This would be Allan Scott-Douglas, the young actor who sang the role of Jamie Fraser for OUTLANDER: The Musical. Since the writers of the musical cast it with an eye to an eventual stage production, they went to some trouble over physical appearance, as well as vocal talent; Mr. Scott-Douglas is in fact very tall, red-haired, and Scottish, as well as being in his twenties. If anyone was asking me, I think he’d probably do it very well—I did see him act, in a play in Edinburgh, and he’s a fine actor—but as I said, it’s not my call. Allan’s website is HERE, and there are a couple of shots of him from the OUTLANDER: The Musical production below, as well as a picture of him on my Photos page, on grounds that you can never have too many men in kilts to look at.

Have you considered making a mini-series of the OUTLANDER books? I think that would…(offer more scope/allow more explicit sex/let you include more of the original books/etc.).

Well, yes. I do think, though, that perhaps some of you are missing the Rather Important Point that I have nothing whatever to do with making a movie, a mini-series, or any other kind of theatrical production. Doing such a thing takes a huge amount of money, a reasonable amount of experience and skill, and an ungodly amount of time and fuss. I don’t have any of those. I also have no desire to lose several years of my life and what remains of my sanity by being intimately involved in any such venture–which is why there’s No Way in Hell that I’d ever write a screenplay for such a venture.

The way that movies and mini-series and stage-plays and musical get made (usually) is that someone who either has money/experience/time or knows how to go about getting those things, comes to the author of a “property” (aka book, short story, poem, song, whatever) and offers said author an option, for a modest amount of money.

An option is a period of time. During this time, the producer has the sole and exclusive right to do whatever they like in support of the project: hire a screenwriter and have a script prepared, send 500 copies of the book to people they think might be interested in the project, take actors or directors to Scotland for lunch…whatever they think might be effective in helping them to raise 60 million dollars, find a good director, and generally get the show on the road.

OK. If they can’t get the show on the road within the time period specified by the option contract, that option lapses. Now, at this point it can be renewed (some contracts specifically allow renewal at the discretion of the producer, some don’t), or not. If not, the author can then sell an option to another production company, or just choose to sit on the property and do nothing for awhile (or forever, as the case may be).

On the other hand, if the producer does manage to arouse interest and financing, the option contract then provides for the actual purchase of the film rights. The purchase price is (if one has a decent film-rights agent) substantially less modest than the option price, but it’s still not likely to be huge money. The thing is, once that price is paid, the production company Owns Everything, forever, in perpetuity, throughout the universe. (Really. That’s what film contracts say. The first time I saw one, I said to my agent, “They’re kidding, aren’t they?” “Oh, no,” he said. “They aren’t kidding.”) Which is why you’d like to sign option agreements only with people you more or less trust to do the best they can for your material. This is why we’ve signed option agreements only four times since I wrote the books.

Presently, the option on the OUTLANDER series (when a series of books is involved, the deal is always made for the series as a whole, rather than one book at a time) is held by Essential Entertainment. If you Google “Essential Entertainment Outlander”, you’ll see whatever news there is to be seen. (I won’t try to provide links here, because they won’t stay current.) That contract has expired and been renewed—and on the last renewal, we did agree on language that would allow Essential to explore the possibilities of doing a mini-series, either instead of a feature-film, or in addition to one.

Like I say, it’s not something where you hold your breath, but that’s what the situation is, right now.

Musicals and Stage-Plays

I do often get inquiries from people who want to do a stage production of OUTLANDER. Now, stage-rights in a situation where there are also film-rights involved is a tricky thing. The film option contract usually specifies strict limits (if allowing for such a thing at all) on stage productions, since film companies like to have control of All the Rights.

However, the option contract happened to expire just when Mike Gibb approached me about his projected musical adaptation, and we were able to negotiate language allowing that when the option was renewed.

The original song-cycle of OUTLANDER: The Musical has been amazingly well-received—thank you all!—and Mike’s written a complete libretto for the eventual stage production. He’s presently talking with theater producers, and…well, we’ll see what happens, but prospects seem good.

Below are a couple of photos from the launch of OUTLANDER: The Musical, in Aberdeen this last July. (This was a showcase performance, using only two of the play’s characters, doing eight songs.)

Follow Diana Online
In addition to the links below, Diana can be found most of the time on the Compuserve Books and Writers Community. When you enter the page, you’ll see to the left a list of folders on different aspects of reading and writing. Click on the “Diana Gabaldon” folder for discussions of Diana’s books, writing habits, etc.–but do feel free to explore the other folders, too!

RSS
Twitter
Facebook
Youtube
Related
Movies, Mini-Series, and Musicals
The Cannibal’s Art – How Writing Really Works
The Cannibal’s Art – Characterization (workshop outline with examples)
The Cannibal’s Art – Dialogue (workshop outline)
The Cannibal’s Art – Jamie and the Rule of Three

message 883: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Never knew there was a Musical of it. Here is one of the songs.

http://outlanderthemusical.com/IstTuF...

and here is the link to the rest

http://www.outlanderthemusical.com/th...

message 884: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Morag wrote: "Heather wrote: "Ok, forgive me for being off topic here...but has anybody seen the mini series of Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth??--WOW!"

It was brilliant. Have you read the book and the f..."

I read the book after I watched the movie. I have to say the book was so much better as most books are but I liked the movie series for what it was. I think he, being Jack, would make a pretty good Jamie.

message 885: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Erin wrote: "Morag wrote: "Heather wrote: "Ok, forgive me for being off topic here...but has anybody seen the mini series of Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth??--WOW!"

It was brilliant. Have you read the ..."

OMG!! I am in LOVE with Jack!! I think if he got a little more buff and lost the english accent of course, he would be brilliant as Jamie!

message 886: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (Vlord) | 29 comments Latinlandish wrote: "Allan Scott Douglas as Jamie? No way Jose. Allan is as charming as a boiled egg with no salt or pepper. Chris H. would be a much better choice.

Keyra as Claire? If she can put up some 30 lbs, I w..."

I agree with everything you said! I, like you, would love to see a movie or mini-series, but........I don't think it will ever live up to my expectations, so I just want to keep the pics I have in my mind while reading and I know I won't screw up my own movie in my head with bad casting or droll dialogue, or heaven forbid "them" changing the plot!

message 887: by Patty (new)

Patty | 179 comments I do not see Emily Blunt something about her teeth and mouth that bother me plus she is to thin. I see more of a Kate Winslet type as Clair. Not sure I want to see the book turned into a movie, I just listen to my audio copies of the books and do my own movie in my head.

message 888: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments Kate Winslett is another to me who could pull off the personality but she's not the right age range. Again, not a horrible option just still not perfect to me.

message 889: by Sue (new)

Sue Pittman | 94 comments Fandango came up with a poll that asked people to vote for who they think is the sexiest British actress under the age of 30.

The top 10 list is:

1.Emma Watson
2.Keira Knightley
3.Emily Blunt
4.Sienna Miller
5.Gemma Arterton
6.Bonnie Wright
7.Rebecca Hall
8.Carey Mulligan
9.Katie Leung
10.Hayley Atwell

I think several of these ladies would be a good choice for Claire.

message 890: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Jan 20, 2011 12:39PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments It's got Emily Blunt and Gemma Arterton, they're my two favorite for the role with Gemma edging out Emily in the facial feature department.

message 891: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Ok, I really like Gemma Arterton too...
I think someone should go through all the past posts and tally up the most voted actors/actresses for the top 5 characters and then post it. I would if I had time, but I dont;)

message 892: by Sue (last edited Jan 20, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Sue Pittman | 94 comments Eva Green for Claire? She was in that James Bond movie, "Casino Royale" with Daniel Craig. She was born in France, but does a great British accent as she did in the James Bond movie.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

message 893: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments I don't mind her either. She's got the right look. A little thin, but the right face.

message 894: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments ooooh....I like her a lot!

message 895: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments I like her. Still, I am amazed at how hard it is to find an actress with a "real woman's" body.

I don't know one man that likes skinny women, and why is itthat all actresses are so thin?

Jamie wouldn't go for Eva Green. Where is the round arse?

message 896: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments She DEFINITELY needs to thicken up for the role.

message 897: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (weishaark) | 33 comments So I'm laying in bed next to my husband this mornin' (during that hour just before the sun comes up and the bustling begins) and I was prattling on about our recent discussions regarding our 'fantasy casting' of the 'fantasy movie'...and I was relating to him about how it seems that a majority of 'us' have come to agreement about Chris Helmsworth, but still debating about who should play Claire, and he (who hasna read the books, y'ken, only listened to my incessant prattling about 'em) - he says, what about Nicole Kidman and I say, hmmmm - y' might have something there. Let me discuss with the group...I think she's been mentioned before and dismissed...I think I was one of 'em who did the dismissing - but I'd like to suggest that we stew on it a bit...the more I have (stewed on it) the more I'm thinkin' she might be the one...

message 898: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3106 comments She's got the hair, if not the color. But I still think she's just not the right age. If she were younger I wouldn't be opposed.

message 899: by Sue (new)

Sue Pittman | 94 comments Nicole Kidman would have been great ---- 10 years ago. But she's too old!!! I love her. she has the classic look that I think could work, but by the time the movie even gets made, she'll be close to 50!!!

message 900: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandyc88) | 187 comments First of all, you are verra fortunate to have a hubby who will discuss this with you! :-)

As for Nicole, I just can't see it.

My preference has always been Kate Winslet. She's at an age where she can be made up to look younger or older, she has a "healthy" body, and she's a terrific actress.

Lots of beautiful, talented actresses have been mentioned on this thread. I hope IF this movie ever gets made that it's someone we can all live with!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

One for the Money (other topics)