Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Outlander Movie

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,064) (1064 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Does anyone know when the movie will be out? Or who will be playing the main characters? I saw a while back she said that it was delayed but.... any updates?

message 2: by Mishelle (last edited Jan 13, 2010 10:05PM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments I saw her in Kelowna in October. She said then there is no solid plans for a movie, as of yet. The rights are sold, to make a movie in a realistic time frame. Almost as though someone "rents" the rights. The last company to do so is coming up to its expiry (for lack of a better word), in which they will go back to DG, unless and until someone else buys them again. I want it to become a series on like HBO, or Showtime. Like the Tudors. That would be awesome, and the only way to do it justice. A season a book. Long, drawn out, and beautiful, just like her books.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Shell wrote: "I saw her in Kelowna in October. She said then there is no solid plans for a movie, as of yet. The rights are sold, to make a movie in a realistic time frame. Almost as though someone "rents" the r..."

I totally agree. Each season/Book they would be able to flesh it out and do it justice. But it will be VERY expensive to do.

message 4: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments Yes, but it would make more money than it would cost. That I am sure of.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments I agree that it should be done as a series.
There's no way you can fit everything into 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
The first season wouldn't be that expensive to produce, but that would change with subsequent novels.

The CBC co-produced the Tudors, so maybe they can find the money to get this on t.v....I'd can Peter Mansbridge and use his salary to get the first season done. lol

Unfortunately, the script for the movie is complete and they are in the process of shopping for a director.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Lori wrote: "I agree that it should be done as a series.
There's no way you can fit everything into 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
The first season wouldn't be that expensive to produce, but that would change with subsequent..."

yes but could that change if the wrights don't get picked up again? I mean the script can be redone to a tv script if they really wanted to.... :)

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Yes, it could change.
For all I know Essential's option may have already expired. They were supposed to go into production last spring and nothing happened with it.
The question then becomes, who else is interested?
HBO and Showtime have both done historical series, so they may not want to do another one.
Personally, I feel that if they choose to pass up this particular opportunity(should it arise), they are morons of the highest order.
Then again, I'm not sure if anybody would be able to do it justice.

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Lori wrote: "Yes, it could change.
For all I know Essential's option may have already expired. They were supposed to go into production last spring and nothing happened with it.
The question then becomes, who e..."

lol I agree.

I think I read on her blog a while back that the option did expire but that they renewed it for a later date due to the economy. I'm just not sure if anythings happened since then.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments I looked at Essential Pictures website and they don't mention Outlander at all beyond the initial announcement that they had gotten the rights back in 2008.
I think it's dead in the water.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Lori wrote: "I looked at Essential Pictures website and they don't mention Outlander at all beyond the initial announcement that they had gotten the rights back in 2008.
I think it's dead in the water."

how sad. :( I hope someone else picks it up.

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Fingers crossed!
Can't wait to see Gerard Butler as Dougal. ;)

message 12: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (Evikes) | 345 comments Lori wrote: "Fingers crossed!
Can't wait to see Gerard Butler as Dougal. ;)"

Oh yeah!

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments I just saw Christina Hendricks on this new show about the 50's. Tall fiery redhead. I think she would be great for Bree. She played in Firefly as Malcolm Reynolds con wife.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Hmmm, too old and too pretty. I can't see her hunting deer either(her boobs would get in the way of the rifle...lol).
Bree is described as having a long, narrow nose as well which Christina doesn't have. Remember, Bree looks a lot like Jamie, so she isn't supposed to be gorgeous, but she is striking.

message 15: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments But Jamie is gorgeous.. He was described in Outlander, as being better looking than most. Thats why everyone wants him.... Men and Women alike. lol

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Well, the long nose probably works really well on his face, but not so much for a girl. lol
I think even Roger makes a comment about Brianna not being beautiful in a typical kind of way when he first meets her.

message 17: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments Lori wrote: "Well, the long nose probably works really well on his face, but not so much for a girl. lol
I think even Roger makes a comment about Brianna not being beautiful in a typical kind of way when he fir..."

True..He did say that. I thought he meant it more in the "non-petite and delicate" sorta way.. Cause she was more of an exotic amazon.. Lol.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Shell wrote: "Lori wrote: "Well, the long nose probably works really well on his face, but not so much for a girl. lol
I think even Roger makes a comment about Brianna not being beautiful in a typical kind of w..."

LOL
That she is!
It's the long nose that sticks in my head though.
He actually says he thinks it's a "touch too long" and he also mentions the strong, sharp-angled bones of her face.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Lori wrote: "Shell wrote: "Lori wrote: "Well, the long nose probably works really well on his face, but not so much for a girl. lol
I think even Roger makes a comment about Brianna not being beautiful in a typi..."

I've had a really tough time picturing Bree over the years. I want to see beautiful, I imagine beautiful... but only if I don't go by Roger's description of her.
But you know, if her own husband describes her in that way, and he still followed her through time to be with her, then you know it's love.

message 20: by Lori (last edited Jan 14, 2010 08:48PM) (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments I agree.
Bree is a toughy to picture.
We had a huge discussion regarding the casting of the characters going on Diana's facebook page before it disappeared into oblivion.
The person we thought best fit the description was Laura Prepon.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h17...

OK, her nose isn't long, but she looks like she could kick some butt. lol

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments I still think Bree has to have a timeless maybe homely but she is a beauty. I just can't think of her any other way. I know what DG wrote but in my head she's... well she has a quality that makes her beautiful.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Lori wrote: "I agree.
We had a huge discussion regarding the casting of the characters going on Diana's facebook page before it disappeared into oblivion.
The person we thought best..."

I like her (Donna, That 70's Show). Also, there is always the option of a prosthetic nose? Nicole Kidman had one in the hours and it worked for her.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Who did you guys discuss as being Claire and Jamie?

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments I think she's pretty too, but in an "I don't know what it is" kinda way. The kind of person you'd be drawn to, but not know exactly why.

message 25: by Lori (last edited Jan 14, 2010 09:24PM) (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Heather wrote: "Who did you guys discuss as being Claire and Jamie?"

There was a lot of debate about those 2.

Jamie's options were: Gerard Butler(but he's too old and a far better Dougal, anyway), Kevin McKidd(again too old),and Simon Woods(the best bet)

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/p/images...

And for Claire: Rachel Weisz(because she has the right eye colour) and Kate Beckinsale(not sure about that one). I kind of like Ruth Wilson though:

http://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/ima...

Your thoughts?

message 26: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments Lori wrote: "Heather wrote: "Who did you guys discuss as being Claire and Jamie?"

Jamie's options were: Gerard Butler(but he's too old and a far better Dougal, anyway)..."

I like both your picks... I love Simon Woods.

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Heather wrote: "Lori wrote: "I agree.
The person..."

Lori wrote: "Heather wrote: "Who did you guys discuss as being Claire and Jamie?"

Jamie's options were: Gerard Butler(but he's too old and a far better Dougal, anyway)..."

I don't think that he would be a strong enough actor for Jamie. It could be that I've only seen him play in Pride and Predjuce. and he was very weak there
I can't see Nicole Kidman either. she is to old.... Man this is so hard! lol I can't wait till they release who's playing whom.

message 28: by Lori (last edited Jan 14, 2010 09:38PM) (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Erin wrote: "Heather wrote: "Lori wrote: "I agree.
We had a huge discussion regarding the casting of the characters going on Diana's facebook page before it disappeared into oblivio..."

Simon Woods also played Octavian in the second season of Rome, so he's lead men into battle...on t.v. anyway. lol

Oh, and definitely not Nicole Kidman!
Diana has actually said the closest she's seen to Claire is Keira Knightly...but after she's gained about 30 lbs. lol

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Lori wrote: "Erin wrote: "Heather wrote: "Lori wrote: "I agree.
We had a huge discussion regarding the casting of the characters going on Diana's facebook page before it disappeared..."

That's right. I'd forgotten he did that. But I still don't see him as Jamie. He has to have a force of presence. It's gonna be so very hard to cast him.

message 30: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments Lori wrote: "Erin wrote: "Heather wrote: "Lori wrote: "I agree.
We had a huge discussion regarding the casting of the characters going on Diana's facebook page before it disappeared..."

I dont think Heather was suggesting Nicole Kidman, just that the 'prostetic nose; she used in a movie worked, therefor could work for another actress as well, to make the nose more sharp, like Jamies. I love Simon Woods, I think he's a great actor.. Gerard Butler would make an awesome Dougal.. and I agree Racheal Weisz would be great for Claire.

However, I would prefer to see, all unknown, newly discovered talent.. That way the characters would be more believable, for me anyways. lol

message 31: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Shell wrote: "Lori wrote: "Erin wrote: "Heather wrote: "Lori wrote: "I agree.
We had a huge discussion regarding the casting of the characters going on Diana's facebook page before..."

I agree. I don't think it will work with well know actors. I'd like to see some new faces myself. But I'd like to see actual Scottish actors.

message 32: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments Erin wrote: "Shell wrote: "Lori wrote: "Erin wrote: "Heather wrote: "Lori wrote: "I agree.
We had a huge discussion regarding the casting of the characters going on Diana's facebook..."

Absoloutly.. Scottish for sure.

message 33: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Krieger (BigR) | 47 comments kiera knightly would be good I think the guy from avatar you'd have to dye his hair and buff him up a bit but he's great and if Taylor lautner can do it so can he lol

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Lori wrote: "Heather wrote: "Who did you guys discuss as being Claire and Jamie?"

I don't recognize Ruth Wilson from her picture. What other movies has she been in?
I think I recognize Simon Woods. What's he been in?
Gerard Butler was my husband in another life, so although I would love to see him as Jamie, I agree that he is too old. He would make a great Dougal though, as Dougal is a pretty sexy dude as well.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "Lori wrote: "Erin wrote: "Heather wrote: "Lori wrote: "I agree.
We had a huge discussion regarding the casting of the characters going on Diana's facebook page before..."

That's right Shell. I didn't mean Nicole Kidman as Bree, I was making reference to where a prosthetic nose worked well.
I also agree with Shell that they should probably go with unknowns for the lead roles. I've never liked Keira Knightly, she reminds me of someone playing someone who's playing someone in an Austen adaptation. Did that make sense? She's that overt Shakespearian actor type of actor. How ‘bout that one, did that make sense?
I like Rachel Weisz, but not sure if I like her for the part of Claire either.
Maybe I won’t be happy with anyone for Claire because they are branded by their prior roles, which brings me back to going with unknowns.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments OK, so we have a general consensus.
No well known actors in the leads.
We will relegate them to supporting roles.

Looks like all we have thus far is a great Dougal!

message 37: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 39 comments Lori wrote: "Heather wrote: "Who did you guys discuss as being Claire and Jamie?"

Not sure about Simon Woods...he was such a wimpy guy in Pride and Prejudice and Jamie is anything, but wimpy. I loved Pride and Prejudice and he was great in that role, but I really can't picture him as our most wonderful Jamie...

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments In Simon's defense, he WAS tougher in Rome.

However, I don't think that anyone we presently know of is really our Jamie. Simon just seemed to have the right kind of look...and remember that Jamie is quite young when the series begins.

message 39: by Mishelle (last edited Jan 15, 2010 12:16PM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments Which is why I feel they need to scour the scottish country side, for some undiscovered talent to play these characters.. Or atleast some that can fake one hell of a scottish accent, aye?

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Aye, the last thing we want is someone who sounds like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. *shudder* lol

message 41: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 39 comments Lori wrote: "In Simon's defense, he WAS tougher in Rome.

However, I don't think that anyone we presently know of is really our Jamie. Simon just seemed to have the right kind of look...and remember that Jamie ..."

Agree...he does have the Scottish look, but he didn't seem that tall to me in Pride and Prejudice and Jamie is very muscular and 6'4" or so. I haven't seen Rome, but it sounds like I need to!! My pick for Jamie was in there too, Kevin McKidd...he is older, but I think with the magic of movies they could make him look younger for the early parts and he's "verra tall and muscular"...mind you this would be the way he looked in Made of Honor. I don't think he is very Jamie-like in his present role in Grey's Anatomy. It's very interesting to see how people picture the different characters!

message 42: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments As much as I like Kevin, I don't think they could make him look 21-22. :(
He might be a good choice for later on though.
I think whoever plays the young Jamie should also play William.

message 43: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 39 comments Lori wrote: "As much as I like Kevin, I don't think they could make him look 21-22. :(
He might be a good choice for later on though.
I think whoever plays the young Jamie should also play William."

Good thought...it's so hard to picture Jamie as any real man as we all have our preconceived images of what he should look like. No mortal man could truly live up to such a man...sigh... ;)

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments What about Frank/Black Jack??

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding who should play that role?

I know who he looks like in my head...

message 45: by Mishelle (last edited Jan 15, 2010 12:23PM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments James Purefoy... Also from Rome.. He played Mark Antony, the perfect Frank/Jack... In my opinion

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0700856/

message 46: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Lori wrote: "Aye, the last thing we want is someone who sounds like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. *shudder* lol"

lol awe come on now.... giggle.... Mel did a great job with his.....lol.... Scottish accent.

message 47: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 39 comments Lori wrote: "What about Frank/Black Jack??

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding who should play that role?

I know who he looks like in my head..."

Jason Isaacs (the bad guy in The Patriot) is who I have always pictured in my head as Black Jack Randall. Someone did a thing on Youtube about what they envision for the casting of Outlander. I don't agree with all of them, but some are spot on...go to Youtube and type in Outlander casting video...it's interesting...

message 48: by Erin (new)

Erin | 130 comments Tonya wrote: "Lori wrote: "In Simon's defense, he WAS tougher in Rome.

However, I don't think that anyone we presently know of is really our Jamie. Simon just seemed to have the right kind of look...and remem..."

Now I can definately see Kevin McKidd as Jamie but he is short. I don't think he reaches 6 foot does he?

message 49: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 397 comments Tonya wrote:
I know who he looks like in my head..."

Jason Isaacs (the bad guy in The Patri..."

He would be good aswell..

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori (lahood) | 217 comments Shell wrote: "James Purefoy... Also from Rome.. He played Mark Antony, the perfect Frank/Jack... In my opinion

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0700856/"

No, that would ruin far too many fantasies for me! lol
Mr. Purefoy is my back-up if Jamie never comes knocking. ;)

Jason Isaacs is good, but maybe a bit old(?).

I've always pictured Jeremy Northam.
I know, he's usually a good guy, but I've seen him do bad fairly well. He may also be too old now though.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

One for the Money (other topics)