We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

The Books > Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaways #2)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Jan 12, 2010 06:36PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7999 comments Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

***Kev Merripen has longed for the beautiful, well-bred Winnifred Hathaway ever since her family rescued him from the brink of death when he was just a boy. But this handsome Gypsy is a man of mysterious origins—and he fears that the darkness of his past could crush delicate, luminous Win. So Kev refuses to submit to temptation…and before long Win is torn from him by a devastating twist of fate.

Then, Win returns to England…only to find that Kev has hardened into a man who will deny love at all costs. Meantime, an attractive, seductive suitor has set his sights on Win. It’s now or never for Kev to make his move. But first, he must confront a dangerous secret about his destiny—or risk losing the only woman he has lived for…***

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

At first I was sure if I liked Kev, but came to love him...he is so sweet with Win!!!

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3731 comments Agreed.

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Read the book last year and just finished listening to the audio book. Definitely love the Hathaway series. This unabridged version seemed to contain the whole book. What a relief. Who would have figured the good doctor would be such an awful man? In some ways I felt bad because he'd no longer be helping people like Winn, but you can't let such a person get away with murder. I guess Kleypas gave him that God-like complex. Kev did tick me off when he refused to admit he was the one who compromised Winn at the ball. Then the way he got so mad at Winn when he found out she hadn't gotten a second opinion about having children. I did love finding out the relationship between Cam and Kev. In the end Kev did redeem himself in my eyes. His inner struggles about his feelings for Winn and himself were rather fun to watch, but a couple of times I would have liked to knock some sense into him.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Just thought I'd mention the audio book had Catherine's voice sounding rather old and made me think she'd be unattractive. In Tempt Me at Twilight, however, the reader (so far the same person for the first 3 Hathaway books) changes the voice to a much more pleasant one.

message 6: by Koosh (last edited May 19, 2010 05:12AM) (new)

Koosh | 90 comments Loved this book too (and the whole Hathaway series so far!) but there was one part I didn't quite get - the one about the doctor murdering his previous wife by poison. I didn't understand the whole reason for the murder.

PS The part I loved most was when Win was sick and the way Kev took care of her and wanting to die with her if she didn't make it through. That was so touching.

message 7: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Just thought I'd mention the audio book had Catherine's voice sounding rather old and made me think she'd be unattractive. In Tempt Me at Twilight, however, the reader (so far the same person for t..."

Yes, agree- that was not tied off well. Actually the book would have been more effective if she'd gone for the darker tale and Win had married him and gone with him to France and Merripen had to chase after her. Kleypas seems to shy away from going for the darker plots/fulfilling some of the tougher implications of some of her characters.

message 8: by Lisarenee (last edited May 19, 2010 08:17AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Mrshj, I think Kleypas is cautious. Some of her earlier books went for darker plots and they weren't well received. In Prince of Dreams (if my memory serves) the main male character gets married then cheats on his wife and later falls in love with her and is the ideal husband. A friend of mine has the book, but still hasn't read it because of the reviews. Also, in Where Passion Leads (her first book) the main male character actually rapes the main female character before they fall in love and get married. My guess is she's decided to stay within the lines her readers love when constructing her stories now.

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Koosh wrote,"PS The part I loved most was when Win was sick and the way Kev took care of her and wanting to die with her if she didn't make it through. That was so touching. "

I loved that part too. It helped you to understand his inner struggle more.

message 10: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Mrshj wrote: "Lisarenee wrote: "Just thought I'd mention the audio book had Catherine's voice sounding rather old and made me think she'd be unattractive. In Tempt Me at Twilight, however, the reader (so far the..."

Yes- maybe I was going for a bit of a gothic angle! In terms of darker books I guess "Then Came You" was pretty successful and a bit more edgy (some of her others come to mind too). The exploration of the family seems to be the theme for the Hathaways so maybe she'll move onto a different style for her next books as she must have finished all of her writing for the Hathaways now.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3731 comments I love the family dynamic of the Hathaways series.

message 12: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments ^Yeah, love how they stick together no matter what and pull each other through. Polite society doesn't seem to think much of the Hathaways because of their lack of money and their tendency for interracial marriages, and the Hathaways on their side don't care a whit about any of that. That makes me love them even more. The fact that they're in their own world.

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3731 comments Well said, Koosh!

message 14: by Tanith (new)

Tanith | 50 comments Id like to give a shout out to Kev Merripen - He's my favourite of the Hathaway series!

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3731 comments I love how brooding Kev is. :)

message 16: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments You know, the image I've always had of Kev in my head is a hulky bulky but dark and charismatic version of the hunchback of Notre Dame. Lol. But somehow I still adore him~

message 17: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (KathyAnne) Koosh
LOL at your description of Kev,I`m sure I`ll think of it every time I read him now.
I`m reading Married in the Morning right now and love it.The Ferret just brought her her glasses after her midnight stroll
I hope The Wallflowers are as good.

message 18: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments Yes, I can't help but adore that little ferret. I'm somehow not really fond of furry quick little animals but the more I read that book the more I fall for that thing! Just like Cat. Lol. How can you deny a furry companion who's looking at you with love struck eyes and obviously besotted with you to the point that it steals even your garters? ;)

I love the Wallflower series just as much as the Hathaways~ If I was forced to choose, I'd jump a cliff. Lol.

message 19: by Mshush (new)

Mshush | 32 comments Most of all I adore Kev!!! He's my type, my dark, mysterious hero!!! No one will ever replace him in my heart!!! He's mine forever!!! Oh, Win, how lucky you are!...

message 20: by Tanith (new)

Tanith | 50 comments lol Mshush
How can he be yours when he is mine??

message 21: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments Lol. If only there was a poll for the favourite hero in the Hathaway series, that would have been interesting to see! I suspect Kev and Leo may end up tied at first place.

message 22: by Tanith (new)

Tanith | 50 comments If I had to choose, St.Vincent will be my first choice.
Close second with Kev.
I dont know why, because I do like him but Leo just doesn't rub me that way.

message 23: by Mshush (new)

Mshush | 32 comments Tanith, Kev is so special... He's a dream, so we can share him together at our ways, or you don't agree with me? He's mine however... My the most adorable hero!
And I do hope to meet himin another stories! 'cause I can't without him!

message 24: by Tanith (new)

Tanith | 50 comments lol
I'll share!

message 25: by Mshush (new)

Mshush | 32 comments How nice of you, dear Tanith! )))

message 26: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (KathyAnne) Oh a poll for best hero in a series would be great,but you all have to wait for me,I`ve only read a few.

message 27: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Kathy Anne wrote: "Oh a poll for best hero in a series would be great,but you all have to wait for me,I`ve only read a few."

The answer is Cam anyhow!!

message 28: by Tanith (new)

Tanith | 50 comments Cam? better than McKenna?
:)

message 29: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments I can see that a poll would be just the thing to have right now~

message 30: by MashJ (last edited Jun 17, 2010 11:34PM) (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Tanith wrote: "Cam? better than McKenna?
:)"

Well he has these funny things called conversation, a sense of humour, charm (and an earring!) They can be quite nice to live with if the alternative is brooding and intense!! My personal take of course...........

message 31: by Yaseena (new)

Yaseena Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ wrote: "This is my favorite Lisa Kleypas book. So touching. How can you not adore Kev? :)"

Whole-heartedly agree! I know some have found the book to be one of the weakest in the series. But I adored these characters and loved the history that went along with their story!

message 32: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (KathyAnne) Mshj

LOL-Cam,huh,I believe I would agree ,right now I would anyway.

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3731 comments I think all the books are excellent. I like how they are all very different. I am in awe of LK's skill as an author.

message 34: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (KathyAnne) Danielle,
She is the best romance author I have read in a long,long time

message 35: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments She's top on my list of favourites~

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* | 2008 comments Koosh wrote: "She's top on my list of favourites~"

And mine too

message 37: by MashJ (last edited Jun 22, 2010 02:05PM) (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Kathy Anne wrote: "Mshj

LOL-Cam,huh,I believe I would agree ,right now I would anyway."

Cam is just gorgeous isn't he? - but we'd better hold off doing the poll on our favourites until the final book in the series is out. I guess that maybe a lot of people would vote for Leo but he is a little too much the smart alec for me.

PS My memory is hazy at best but I thought we were talking about favourite Hathaway heroes so McKenna would be if anything part of the Wallflower series of heroes? In any case my votes never go to the dark n brooding types.

message 38: by Tanith (new)

Tanith | 50 comments I just re-read Mine til Midnight but i always perk up with Kev and Win are mentioned. Even got a bit teary eyed when Bea tells Amelia and Poppy that she's known for a while that Kev's in love with Win- the whole cleaning her window and how her days will always be filled with blue skies...

message 39: by Mshush (new)

Mshush | 32 comments Tanith, I love this moment too!

message 40: by Yaseena (new)

Yaseena Tanith wrote: "I just re-read Mine til Midnight but i always perk up with Kev and Win are mentioned. Even got a bit teary eyed when Bea tells Amelia and Poppy that she's known for a while that Kev's in love with ..."

Part of the reason I picked up Mine Till Midnight is because I had read Seduce Me at Sunrise first and I knew that Kev and Win were mentioned in the first Hathaway book. When I read it I did the same thing - perked up and always relished the moments devoted to them! They are my all time fav couple for the Hathaways. Followed closely by Marx and Leo

message 41: by Joy (new)

Joy (yurioujo) | 78 comments Tanith wrote: "I just re-read Mine til Midnight but i always perk up with Kev and Win are mentioned. Even got a bit teary eyed when Bea tells Amelia and Poppy that she's known for a while that Kev's in love with ..."

Hey I liked that part too! It's really touching, Kev's unconventional but that's why I like him, he manifested the intensity of his feelings in his own way and the 1st two Hathaway books are my fave

message 42: by Joy (new)

Joy (yurioujo) | 78 comments Part of the reason why I love "Mine Till Midnight" is because of Evie and Sebastian's appearance, and I'm fascinated with Cam's character, "Seduce Me At Sunrise" is a story I still think about from time to time because I like Win's resolve and how she took matters into her own hands, and how she handled someone untamed like Kev. They're a perfect match, I also loved the short story about their wedding.

message 43: by E. (new)

E. R. (DilawRosas) | 487 comments I knew that Kev and Win were going to be together. I did find the connection between Kev and Cam a bit of a surprise when I read about it, but now I'm used to it. In fact, I think that the two of them being brothers is great, especially if they will make future appearances in other series. I would love to hear about the brothers' half-siblings. I think that would be another great series.

message 44: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments I'm in the middle of this book. Totally reading the series out of order. This story has captured me from the start, I love Kev. The problem came when Win and Leo came back from France and Win goes to Kev's room. She hasn't seen him in 2 years, he hasn't written and she has doubts about his feelings, plus she brings the Dr. back with her. The whole scene with Win going to his room and not showing herself etc. I just didn't like it. Thankfully my disappointment was short lived. In the next scene Kev is trying to kill the Dr. and Cam is trying to restrain him. It was hilarious.

message 45: by ♥ Melody (last edited Jul 03, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

♥ Melody  (MelodiousImagination) | 285 comments Alright anyone watch that new show on TLC called 'My big fat Gypsy Wedding'? I gave in and watched an episode. Really interesting. They showed and explained the old custom of 'grabbing' where the guys pick the girl they want and literally carry them away and ask for a kiss or promise of more. I couldn't help but automatically think of Kev and Cam from this series. Kev in particular and how he FINALLY decides to stake his claim on Win. <3 I had a big dopey smile on my face when I thought of it. It was amazing actually seeing it play out. I had no idea the custom is still carried out today. I found it so fascinating.

And the whole half Gypsy half Irish background of Kev and Cam made sense after watching this show. I had no idea there were Irish or British gypsies for that matter. I only thought Gypsies were mostly from Romany. Total ignorance on my part. Nice to learn new things.

Let me tell you the show can be kind of addictive. :P

message 46: by Jerelyn (new)

Jerelyn (ifletty) I downloaded 3 of LK's audio books for a cross country road trip, Mine Till Midnight, Seduce Me at Sunrise and Devil in Winter. My 20 something daughters are now hooked on her books.

message 47: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 18 comments Jerelyn,
Can you tell me where you got your audio books from?
I have a sony reader and I'm trying to find digital audio books for it.

message 48: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 179 comments Just read this book and I've really enjoyed it! Kev is such an awesome hero and even though I was a little annoyed with him for not telling Win that he loves her, I love how he's always trying to protect her! I also loved Win because she was such an awesome heroine!

message 49: by ♥ Melody (new)

♥ Melody  (MelodiousImagination) | 285 comments So glad you enjoyed it Ronyell! This was and still remains one of my fav historical romance books by Kleypas. I just loved the character of Kev. Such intense brooding yumminess. :P I had soft spot for him from the very first book. I know some of the things he did or didn't do were frustrating to many but I understood where he was coming from. And Win was just adorable. I really loved her. Such complete opposites yet understood each other the best. *sigh*

message 50: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 179 comments I totally agree Melody!! I just loved that brooding attitude that Kev has, but it just makes his character even more irresistible!!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Seduce Me at Sunrise (other topics)