Clean Romances discussion

Recommendations > Suggest Good Young Adult Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 128) (128 new)    post a comment »

Jeannette (Jvmimo) I thought it might be nice to suggest a few YA books that are "clean" reads. I will start with:

Chalice
Sabriel and 2 sequels
The Changeling Sea
The Thief and 2 sequels
The Hollow Kingdom and 2 sequels
The Amulet of Samarkand and 2 sequels

No sex, great reads, but of course, some thematic elements (to make it young adult).

Miss Mae | 73 comments Is it okay if I suggest my own newly released YA? (When the Bough Breaks)

The co-mod, Jaimey, has reviewed it and I'm sure she can vouch for its no sex, clean, and sweet values. :)

(for YA's 16 and up)

message 3: by Carmen (last edited Feb 13, 2010 05:07PM) (new)

Carmen | 32 comments Jeannette,

I second the The Thief and its 2 sequels. A third one A Conspiracy of Kings is coming out in March.

[image error]
I also suggest my YA novelTwo Moon Princess by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban

The paperback edition will be out in June.

message 4: by Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (last edited Jan 11, 2010 05:12PM) (new)

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments I personally consider these "YA," but in bookstores you see them sometimes listed in general kids' fiction... so maybe I'm giving suggestions for books that are considered sort-of-kind-of-not-quite-YA, but:
- The Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander is probably my all-time favorite series, behind LOTR: they came out when my mom was a kid but they're still great!
- Brian Jacques' Redwall series High fantasy with an all-animal cast! what teens wouldnt love that?!?! You don't need to read about paranormal romances when you have sword-wielding MICE! :D
- and my favorite "recent" series: Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians...

If I was a teacher, those three would be definite recommendations! I'd also recommend Shannon Hale's Books of Bayern series, and Frank Beddor's Looking Glass Wars series.

Kaylee (kayleeb) | 17 comments I love reading young adult books. Some of my recent favorites are:
The Hunger Games and the sequal by Suzanne Collins
Wings by Aprilyne Pike
pretty much anything Janette Rallison (these are completely safe, sweet romantic comedies for your teens)

I'm sure I'll think of more when I log off!!

Danielle Thorne (daniellethorne) | 129 comments I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning your own book if it fits what people are discussing, Miss Mae.

When the Bough Breaks--actually, all of your books I've read, are totally appropriate for any age. And great reads, too.

message 7: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
I'm a big fan of Diana Wynne Jones, especially her earlier books.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments the only thing ive read by her is Howl's Moving Castle and i loved it!

message 9: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
My all time favorite Diana Wynne Jones was Charmed LIfe, followed by the Lives of Christopher Chant. The Seven Days of Luke is another of my very favorites. :-)

message 10: by Jeannette (last edited Jan 14, 2010 05:55AM) (new)

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Amelia*annabeth&percy*sittin in a tree* wrote: "the only thing ive read by her is Howl's Moving Castle and i loved it! "

Castle in the Air and House of Many Ways are Howl "sequels", but they are not as good.

Jewel (jewela) | 164 comments You could give my YA fantasy "The Journey" a try. It's a story that teaches that there are consequences to every choice we make:-)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) Does anyone have any suggestions for old-fashioned or classic young adult romances? Does anyone remember Seventeenth Summer, for example? When I was young, EVERY girl who read books, read this book but I don't remember knowing of others like it.

I thought I would look into some older novels like this -- mainly to remind myself on how much novels have changed for young readers these days -- and I am not saying they HAVE totally changed, but you know what I am saying I hope!

Breanna | 18 comments A young adult book I absolutely LOVE is:
"Just One Wish" by Janette Rallison.
It is one of my favorite books ever.

SarahC (SarahCarmack) Breanna wrote: "A young adult book I absolutely LOVE is:
It is one of my favorite books ever."

I haven't read Rallison. I like that her books are repeatedly referred to as humorous -- I think I will put it on my list because I like humorous.

Breanna | 18 comments Sarah wrote: "Breanna wrote: "A young adult book I absolutely LOVE is:
It is one of my favorite books ever."

I haven't read Rallison. I like that her books are repeatedly re..."

All of her books are so funny and sweet. Even if I have the read the book before, it still makes me laugh. I have read all of her book except "My Fair Godmother." I want to, but I haven't been able to get a hold of it.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments Okay, this is a bit off-topic, but I didn't know what other folder to write this in...

I was looking through this group's "Shelves" (at the bottom) and I noticed Maggie Stievater's SHIVER is on there. Now, the only reason I'm making what might indeed be a crabby statement is because my roommate JUST finished the book not 2 days ago--and according to her, there's sexual content in it. I guess if that's the case, I'm just surprised to see it on this group's shelf...

Hopefully that's not too "Negative Nancy" or anything :P

message 17: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
Not at all, Amelia. Has anyone else read SHIVER and can vouch for Amelia's roommate?

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments ((If you click on the book under the Bookshelf, someone wrote that in their review))

message 19: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
Which review, Amelia? There are so many, my eyes are glazing over.

Natalie | 16 comments Joyce wrote: "Which review, Amelia? There are so many, my eyes are glazing over."

Joyce, my friend Deborah read it and reviewed. . . Here's a copy of what she wrote:
"What a disapointment. I have waited a long time for this book and I thought it was going to be great. Well, it wasn't. It was okay all along until the point where the "relations" between these two teenagers went to far. I just think Young Adult book should stay YA book!!! It had a hook in it that kept you reading, but truly I would NEVER recommend this book to anyone."

I think she was frustrated (like a lot of adults would be) that teen sex is promoted (and shown) in so much YA fiction.

message 21: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
Thanks, Natalie. Okay, without admittedly having read this book for myself, I'm making a judgment call and pulling it off of our shelf. If anyone who has read it can make a case for why it should be restored to our shelf, I'm willing to listen. Until then...bye bye, SHIVER!

Chantele Sedgwick | 5 comments My Fair Godmother is my favorite Janette Rallison book. Her books are all hilarious! I read Shiver, and there was sexual content in it. It's not graphic and is done pretty tastefully, but it's still there. I loved the book, but I did not think that part was necessary to the story. It's a shame to stumble on things like that when the story is so good. Thanks for all of the perfectly clean recommendations! Keep them coming!;)

Breanna | 18 comments I have never read Shiver and I don't think I will, but I started and finished My Fair Godmother last night. I LOVE it. At first I was not at all fond of Savannah's character; I could relate way more to Jane. By the end of the book, however, I loved Savannah and Tristan for that matter. *blushes*

Julie Anderson | 3 comments Tiger's Curse and Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck are a wonderful blend of adventure, mythology, and sweet romance. It reminds me of Romancing the Stone and/or the first Indiana Jones movie but with younger characters. I teach grades 4-6 and work a great deal with junior high students too. I have recommended this book to many of the girls.

Paige (anauthor) The Percy Jackson and The Olympians series and The Hunger Games Trilogy.

Great series that has kept me glued, with just a hint of romance, but enough to keep a romance lover intrigued. :)

Tifferz | 81 comments Julie wrote: "Tiger's Curse and Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck are a wonderful blend of adventure, mythology, and sweet romance. It reminds me of Romancing the Stone and/or the first Indiana Jones movie but wit..."

I agree I loved Tiger's Curse and Tiger's Quest. Excellent reads that are clean!

Juju (Tales of Whimsy.com) (talesofwhimsy) The clean ones I find that don't contain sex tend to be either Christian Fiction or Young Adult Fiction.

Has anyone ever read The Gateway by Sharon Shinn?

Rebecca | 14 comments If you like historical romance there's the Avon True Romance for Teens series.

Juju (Tales of Whimsy.com) (talesofwhimsy) Rebecca wrote: "If you like historical romance there's the Avon True Romance for Teens series."

Excellent recommendation. Which one should I read first? I take it they are each independent? Which is your favorite?

Rebecca | 14 comments My favorites were Tess and the Highlander, Gwyneth and the Thief, and Anna and the Duke. The only one I disliked was Miranda and the Warrior. They are each independent stories though a couple books have brief appearances by characters from earlier books.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments Juju wrote: "The clean ones I find that don't contain sex tend to be either Christian Fiction or Young Adult Fiction.

Has anyone ever read The Gateway by Sharon Shinn?"

I like your YA reviews especially, Juju! I'm on the lookout for good YA books, but usually if there's sex in it then it's a dealbreaker. I find it so annoying that sex is making its way into YA books...I mean, I don't even like it in grown up fiction, but I guess that's fighting a losing battle :S

Arch  | 114 comments I don't think that sex should be in YA books. Teenagers don't need to be reading that.

message 33: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 07, 2010 09:15PM) (new)

Rebecca | 14 comments I certainly don't think there should be graphic sex in YA books, and I don't want to read extremely graphic details of characters having sex, but there are books where the sex takes place offscreen so to speak, and shows the consequences of making unwise choices about sex, and I don't think a book like that is wrong for teens to read. I can think of at least one YA book I read that did a good job with this type of storyline, the girl made the mistake of sleeping with the wrong guy, she became pregnant and he abandoned her, she lost the baby to a miscarriage that was rather traumatic for her, and had a very hard time, she eventually found happiness in adopting a child and marrying a man who respected and loved her. Very good book and I enjoyed it a lot. It was historical fiction set in the 17th century in England.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments Those sound like Sarah Dessen's books. She tackles some "iffy" subjects but she exposes the consequences of certain behaviors, not glamorizes them, so I think that's okay (I just don't read a lot of 'realistic fiction' so I don't know any specifics).

As far as definitions, though, I think any YA books that have sex (off-screen, too) are not 'clean.'

Rebecca | 14 comments yeah, they might not appeal to people looking for 100%clean reads (Personally I like my books to either have no sex at all or sex that takes place offscreen or isn't described, so I am sure I will find some books through this group that I enjoy) but I don't think they are inappropriate in the YA section. Some books however are extremely graphic and don't seem like they should be in the YA section at all.

Phia | 1 comments I recently read Brightly Woven and it's totally clean--in other words I am suggesting it. The kissing scenes aren't described with too much detail and is kept minimal(if i remember correctly there are only 3 times where the main characters kissed each other). I love how it's different from most YA books that kind of centers about the main characters' relationship only, since Brightly Woven also revolves about the main characters' adventures and journeys, etc.

Rebecca | 14 comments I also loved Brightly Woven.

Ronda Hinrichsen | 14 comments Is it all right if I suggest my newly released novel, TRAPPED? It's romantic suspense with a bit of fantasy aimed at the "cross-over" readers, meaning both YA and older. My main character is 23.Trapped

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments I can't wait to read BRIGHTLY WOVEN :D

Wendy (wendyswore) | 11 comments Thanks for the reading suggestions guys! I am a YA reading addict.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) | 45 comments Hmm I didn't like BRIGHTLY WOVEN, but it was a clean read, so that was nice.

There's also THE HOURGLASS DOOR, book 1 in a trilogy by Lisa Mangum, who is a goodreads author. Her books are clean :)

This is just a personal observation, but it seems like the majority of authors (maybe YA authors) who write clean books have a religious background, like Mormon, etc. So if I know that an author has a religious background I'm more likely to read his/her books.

NovelReaction | 31 comments Everyone make sure you check out my site, Novelreaction.com in the month of June as the theme for the month is all things Young Adult. There will be numerous book reviews with a graphic rating, author visits, book giveaways and other fun events. If you would like to see a specific author highlighted, let me know and I am happy to include them. Thanks for all the great suggestions, I will be adding them to my TBR pile.

Katherine | 20 comments Not sure where to put this comment, but I just started reading "The Truth About Forever" by Sarah Dessen, because it was listed on this group's bookshelf. I guess I knew it might be iffy because of the way it was reviewed, but when I came to the "F" word, I put it down. That, for me, should not be in any book claimed to be Clean.

message 44: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 577 comments Mod
Katherine, I sympathize with your feelings about "The Truth About Forever". Jaimey and I have decided to set up a thread to try to address the language question.

Susan Quinn (Susan_Kaye_Quinn) | 3 comments Can I suggest my own novel, Life, Liberty, and Pursuit? It's a good clean YA love story (lots of kissing, but no sex). It's an empowering story for girls about making choices in life and love.

Life, Liberty, and Pursuit by Susan Kaye Quinn

Kirsten | 1 comments Any books my Robin Jones Gunn are good. I would recommend reading the books about Christy Miller and her friends. They're not mainly romance novels (though you can definately find that in there). It talks about real life situations that teen girls face. My friends and I have all read them, and we talk about the characters as if they are real people, because all of them are true friends. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read. There are a lot of books in the series, but you will most definately not be bored. :)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 12 comments I just finished a clean young adult romance. I wrote about it here on my blog: http://books-camilleelise4.blogspot.c...

Rea I don't tend to enjoy modern YA books aimed at girls. Ever since Twilight I get the impression from many that the author is informing the girl that she cannot exist without a man (like in New Moon where there are several chapters with just the name of the month as Bella seems to have stopped living simply because Edward has left). I don't like the idea that they're sending girls.

Some books that I enjoyed that are YA and clean are:
The Confessions of Georgia Nicholson (these are clean but do contain language or images that some people may not appreciate. They're also about a teen girl, 14, who is struggling to figure out just what she wants and as such contain some topics, such as infidelity, that some people may not like - they're humourous, though and tend to make fun of such things). As a teen I adored them. The Americans tend to be a bit more prudish towards them, though. Even some of the titles got changed.
It's OK I'm wearing really big knickers became On the bright side of things I'm now the girlfriend of a sex God.
And That's When It Fell off in My Hand became Away Laughing on a Fast Camel
The books of Pellinor - as an teen I was completely convinced that there was a very evident romance subplot but when I read them again last year I didn't notice it as much so it might have been my imagination.
Black Magician trilogy - ok, so there's one scene but it's not so much explicit. You know what's going on. At 16 - 17 I found it very romantic!
Wind on Fire trilogy - been a while since I read this but the first book especially is amazing (or at least that is how I remember it) and there are romance undertones.

Can't think of any others right now.

Rea Arch wrote: "I don't think that sex should be in YA books. Teenagers don't need to be reading that."

When I was a teen, I read a lot of stuff on fictionpress. A good number of them contained some form of physical relationship. A lot of this good number were written by teens.

As of about 15 teens are interested in sex and it becomes part of their world. It was at about that time that I started experimenting with how I could include such concepts in my own writing.

I agree that it shouldn't be explicit but it's better they get books where it happens and then the characters have to deal with the consequences of their actions. At least then they are aware of what some of the consequences of their actions may be rather than stumbling into it all blind.

My mother first introduced me to books containing sex at 13 or 14 when she gave me a high fantasy (adult) title by David Gemmell where within the first few chapters there was a very explicit rape scene. This allowed her to sit down with me and talk about the content should I want to ask any questions.

I think it's better to tackle the subject head on (preferably behind closed doors in YA fiction) rather than pretend it doesn't exist. Because it does. And hormonal teens know that better than anyone!

message 50: by Farida (last edited Apr 13, 2011 07:38AM) (new)

Farida Mestek | 23 comments Can I offer my own humble book? It's a YA fantasy novella "Almendra: A Fairy-Tale" about Almendra, the High Lady of The Upper Kingdom, who has never seen a man in her life, but who must go to The Land of Men in order to find love that she believes will help her get rid of the curse of unhappiness, loneliness and gloom that hangs over her land. It's a kind of a fairy-tale with a twist and it is absolutely clean.

You can learn more about it at this link: http://girlebooks.com/ebook-catalog/f...

« previous 1 3