Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Do you pounce on new releases?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Do you pounce on new releases? Do you pre-order or wait for the reviews to start rolling in before buying/begging/borrowing/stealing a book?

Do you have to be the first to read a book or can you wait?

Julie (juliedoe) | 2 comments Several authors are on my auto-buy list, and I get their books as soon as they are available.

With new-to-me authors, it depends. If the pre-release reviews are good, I'll buy it. If they're so-so, I'll wait and see.

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 132 comments Only if its a *must have* author. Which is really only a few.
Others I tend to wait until paperback.

Amanda Orlich (booknookreview) | 65 comments Haha stealing. "But officer....I didn't MEAN to. I just NEEDED to read it."

Agreed with a must-have author. If I've been reading books from that author for a while, I'll pounce on it. If it's not one of "my" authors, I'll get a free sample on my Kindle and see if it intrests me or not.

I'll read reviews, too. It's good to branch out. :)

message 5: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Jan 11, 2010 10:57AM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Amanda wrote: "Haha stealing. "But officer....I didn't MEAN to. I just NEEDED to read it."..."

LOL!

There are some that I pre-order and some I wait for especially if it's a new author (or new to me) or if the author's last book wasn't that great. If the book is being released in hardback, I go on a quest to find a copy I can borrow somewhere whilst I wait for the paperback.

I think when we buy/order the physical book we should get a free download of the ebook version - this would keep me VERY happy!

I must admit I do like reading something before others though not too much before like with Death's Mistress, I received it a week before its official release date and was dying to talk about it.

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2611 comments I try, but as I get a lot of my books from the library I have to wait until they process the books. They do have a feature that you can add your favorite authors to your account, then when they order a book an e-mail is sent out to you, so you can request it right away. So often I am within the first 5 or so, but it still takes them a week or so to process after it has been released. That is when I am going crazy because I know the book is out and I am not so patiently waiting for it.

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments For the most part, yes! If I really enjoy a series, I have to get it as soon as it comes out! But I'm that person that will go to the book store several days ahead of time just to see if they might have put it on the shelf early!

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2611 comments LOL @ Kelley Anne

I do that for the books that I buy. I always think that at this I need to join some sort of support group. Hi, my name is Darcy, and I have a book problem....

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Oh, I'm the first to admit that I am really, truly, addicted to books! But, hey, there could be a lot worse things to be addicted to!

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2611 comments That is for sure!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) Kelley Anne, I'm the same way. I have a raging book addiction. No question about it!

Melodie (MelodieCO) There are probably 10 or 12 authors that I definitely pre-order and read as soon as they hit my doorstep! Others I can wait awhile until I find them cheap on eBay or somewhere else.

Jen (mjnav143) If there is a book coming in that's part of a series I really like, I'll pre-oder it from Books A Million. Especially since they give a 40% discount on new releases! When it comes to other books, I can wait to get them at the library or until I find them on sale.

new_user Yes, I'm a sucker for new releases, LOL. xD I don't know what it is that makes them more appealing, but I usually only read them if I have some indication they're good at least, like a promising excerpt.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) I have a buy new list, and a catch at the ubs list. I usually troll Walmart or use my discount or coupons at Borders or Barnes and Noble for the new ones. I get lucky at Half-Price Books fairly regularly, and catch a semi-new release pretty soon.

smexys_sidekick (Tori-Smexybooks) (smexys_sidekick) | 6 comments If it's an author I love I practically stalk them till I get the book. lol
If it's a new author I'll read some of the review blogs I follow and see what they say about it. But I'll wait for it to go to pb before I buy.
My TBR lists(I really need to combine them) is so big now I'll be reading 2010 releases till 2012.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes and the closer it gets to release, if I love the Author the Wackier I get !(LOL)

Debbie The Book Vixen (goodreadscomdebbiethebookvixen) Yes, I Pounce! They know me by first name at Barnes & Noble

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 104 comments If it's an author I know I like, I consider them an auto-buy, but I usually wait until the book is released to see where I can get the best deal for it. For other new releases that catch my attention, I like to read it from the library before deciding if I want to own it.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments For my favorites, I pre-order (for my absolute favorites, I've been known to pre-order both a US and a UK copy to ensure that I get a copy in my hands as soon as possible). Most adult new releases are still coming out in paperback, so I definitely pick up anything that strikes my fancy. For whatever reason, it seems like most new YA books are coming out in hardback these days - but I have a sickness and no patience, so if it looks good, I'll buy it.

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 51 comments I keep a list of books and release dates. When it's a book I'm really looking forward to I will be at border's that day after work. If I'm really excited I will leave work when border's opens and go get it then. Once I took the day off. I have issues.

Marisella (stregamari) Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Do you pounce on new releases? Do you pre-order or wait for the reviews to start rolling in before buying/begging/borrowing/stealing a book?

Do you have to be the first to read a book or can yo..."

For authors I know I really like, I pre-order the books on B&N and pay for them with a gift card. Then when the whole order comes in, I get them. In the meantime, I reserve them all off the on order list at the library so that I am the very first to get them. I can't stand to have my new books creased, so I put them on my shelf, in the same condition they came to me.

Marisella (stregamari) Tori wrote: "If it's an author I love I practically stalk them till I get the book. lol
If it's a new author I'll read some of the review blogs I follow and see what they say about it. But I'll wait for it to g..."

Well, you can stop then, because we won't be around after that, right :)! my son saw a sign at hhgregg that said "no finance charges til 2012", and said "hey, we should buy a new tv now, we won't live long enough to have to pay!". He was just kidding of course. I think

Tricia | 1 comments There are certain authors that I MUST have and will pre-order so that it's at my door on the day of it's release.

Others... *shrug* They're good books, but I consider them to be "Filler" for the lull in between my favorites. I will grab those on as as needed basis.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

If it's a favourite series, I definitely have to have it as soon as it is released!

message 26: by Angela (last edited Feb 01, 2010 05:30PM) (new)

Angela (angbens) | 105 comments I depends. I order alot of books from my book club (when I have the cash) Alot of the books I order are newer or just released books. If it is a series, sometimes, I haven't read the series yet though, but sometimes the deals are too good to pass up. =)

Jess | 3721 comments I used to be in the bookstore the day of.. but lately due to a lack of funds I have to suffer and wait for the library to provide me with my addictions.

Although when Archangels' Kiss was released, I was at BN waiting lol. I actually took it off one of the carts because it hadn't been shelved yet!

new_user Good thinking, Jess! LOL. Hey, you do what you gotta do.

Jess | 3721 comments lol, I felt like a thief too. I was all shifty eyed as I tried to find a non bent cover, and then I ran lol.

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2611 comments Jess you need to look at it as you are saving them work. That is just one more that they didn't have to shelf.

Marisella (stregamari) Such a philanthropist! :) I'm thinking that some day I'll look at all of my tidy, unread books and think WTF? is it too late to get them as ebooks?!

Rebekah (Rowen1313) | 29 comments I have a few authors that are a must have day of release, i.e.: Charlaine Harris, I am in complete withdrawal while I wait till May for Dead in the Family to be released. Patricia Briggs is another where I'm aflutter with anticipation for Mercy's next adventure. Then there is Kim's next book for Rachel that is in 2 weeks and yes I am counting the days and will be re-reading the entire series before that Tuesday. So yes I am the type of person that will buy the book the day it is released and even pre-order it and believe me, if there was a way to bribe my Borders or B&N in to giving me the books sooner I would find it. Oh well I just have to learn patience. Pity.

Marisella (stregamari) yes yes yes! I have already pre-ordered and bought those books from B&N, as well as Bullet, Crimes by Moonlight, Twice as Hot, Into the Dark, and Bite Me: A Love Story

message 34: by Leslie (last edited Feb 23, 2010 07:00AM) (new)

Leslie | 113 comments I want to pre-order from Amazon, but if I understand it correctly, they send you the book the day it is released. And then you have to wait for it to be shipped.
I just can't handle knowing the book is out, I have bought it, and it is not in my greedy little hands.

Ex: Richelle Mead's Succubus Shadows is coming out on March 30th. I am planning to go to the bookstore that day, and I am sure that I will have the book read by that evening. (I am a fffffffassssstttt reader).

Christie (cibarra) I only buy the new release if it's a series I'm hooked on.

message 36: by Dawn, Reading Guru (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 2876 comments @Leslie, yes that is the irritating thing about amazon, however if the book is hard back I will wait because amazon really lowers the price.

Can I also just say really quickly how annoyed I get when a series starts out in paperback then goes to hardback that just reeks havoc on my bookshelf.

Starling | 176 comments Leslie, I never pre-order new hard cover books from Amazon. These days I am getting the hard covers from my library. But my understanding is that Amazon puts new books in the mail so YOU will get the book either on the day it is released or the day after. They don't ship on release day unless they don't have the book.

My experience with wanting a new paperback and trying to buy it locally was miserable, so much so that I was only willing to buy it from Amazon. That was a long time ago, possibly as much as a decade, and I understand that B&N and Borders are much more willing to get new non-best sellers out of the back room then they used to be, but at least with Amazon you know that if they say they are going to ship it to you, they WILL ship it to you.

Marisella (stregamari) Dawn wrote: "@Leslie, yes that is the irritating thing about amazon, however if the book is hard back I will wait because amazon really lowers the price.

Can I also just say really quickly how annoyed I get wh..."

That is pretty irritating! I have these first books of series Darkfever, Dark Lover, Dead Until Dark, and Guilty Pleasures, and Undead and Unwed in paperback, but all of the recent ones are hardcover. I am going to have to get the hard cover editions of the early books just to satisfy my need for order!

Marisella (stregamari) Starling wrote: "Leslie, I never pre-order new hard cover books from Amazon. These days I am getting the hard covers from my library. But my understanding is that Amazon puts new books in the mail so YOU will get t..."

I have never had a problem with B&N. I use them because I can buy gift cards from the grocery store and get gas discounts. pretty corny, huh? Also, with the gift cards I can pre-order and buy the new releases, and when the book is out it gets shipped to me. works for me!

Jess | 3721 comments Dawn wrote: "@Leslie, yes that is the irritating thing about amazon, however if the book is hard back I will wait because amazon really lowers the price.

Can I also just say really quickly how annoyed I get wh..."

I am one of those people who won't buy the hardcovers if they change over. There are only 2 series that I've done that for, Stephanie Plum and Sookie Stackhouse. It looks weird on the shelf, and it's so expensive!!!

They are not being fair to readers when they do that.

Even worse, when a series begins to be put into hardcover, but the length of the books don't change. For example: Mary Janice Davidson's series was made hardcover.. and her books are like 200 pages long. What a waste! I wouldn't pay 26.00 for that.

message 41: by Sam (last edited Feb 27, 2010 05:21AM) (new)

Sam | 139 comments Like everyone I have must buys right away and others I can wait. Kenyon's, Andrews, Harrison books are now a "right away", LK Hamilton have moved to I can wait til paperback or read a library edition instead.

Doesn't $26 feel like a money grab for a 200 page book? Burns my ass!!!!!

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2611 comments Sam wrote: Doesn't $26 feel like a money grab for a 200 page book? Burns my ass!!!!!

For sure, in my eyes it better be plated in gold in that case.

Rachel- Goodbye Borders | 3 comments I hardly ever buy HC (both due to cost and size). I wait until MM release. It's hard to hold a HC one-handed:-) It sucks though as I have to wait longer....

Katie | 13 comments If I am hooked on a series and anxiously awaiting the next book, I'll break down and pay for a HC. Otherwise I wait until MMPB comes out and then I will get that. I just can't justify spending more than $10 on most books.

I am a fan of pre-ordering though. You do tend to pick up a nice discount at times this way.

Ariana I've switched to ebooks, but they're somewhat worse for your pocket as you don't have to leave your house to get them. Mainly though, it means I don't have to lug them around if I move. The new defination of lazy!

Jess | 3721 comments Ariana wrote: "I've switched to ebooks, but they're somewhat worse for your pocket as you don't have to leave your house to get them. Mainly though, it means I don't have to lug them around if I move. The new def..."

It was definitely bad for my wallet. It's instant gratification!! I would look around and say "ehhh I don't really want to read any of the books I have but ooo that one looks good"

Terrible.. but great lol.

Ariana Tell me about it, I find myself wishing I won the lotto so I could sit at home all day and read ebooks.... O_o

Lauren (lrc123) | 4 comments If it's from one of my most favorite authors and it's in paperback, than yes. Otherwise i either take it out of the library or wait for it to come out in paperback. I don't really buy HC, due to the cost and size. It sucks though when i book i am really anticipating the release of (like Lover Mine) is coming out in hardcover first. Ah well, I'll just have to wait for my library to get a copy or wait (in agony) for the paperback.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments I currently have Lover Mine, Tales from the Otherworld, Changeless, Silver Borne, Succubus Shadows, Magic Bleeds and The Mage in Black all on pre-order. The British releases for Ward, Briggs and Armstrong are all paperback, so I'm saved from buying hardbacks - although I'd buy Ward and Briggs regardless.

Lisa (Badass Bookie) (Lisao_0) I usually get the first book in a series at the library or on ebook than if i liked t i'll go buy the whole series but if they're stand-alone novels mehhhhh i usually just get them. However, books are so expensive these days!and i NEVER buy hard cover they're too chunky and ruin the look of my bookshelf!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Twice as Hot (other topics)
Bite Me (other topics)
Into the Dark (other topics)
Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side (other topics)
Bullet (other topics)
More...