Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Lola's 50 books in 2010

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments This is my first time in a challenge, I'm very very excited about it!!!

message 2: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:14AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo
Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo finished by January 3th, 2010. Rates 2 stars.

This is supposed to be the best Mexican novel of all times, but for me it was really difficult to follow, is like being at the middle of a wieerd dream.

One down 49 to go...

message 3: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:34AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2) by Lilith Saintcrow
Betrayals by Lilith Saintcrow finished by Janueary 21th 2010. Rates 5 stars

Eventhough I´m really starting to be fed up books about vampires and werewolves, I did like these books. I love the main character because she is not a helpless lady in distress as some other characters in some other vampire books.

48 to go... comming up next Kite Runner

message 4: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini finished by January 26th. Rated 2 stars (didn't like it that much)

Before I decided to read this book I looked at some of the reviews from other members and the fact that there were as many excelent reviews as bad ones made me want to read it. I can't say I totally disliked it but I didn't like it that much either

47 down hopping next one is better

message 5: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:36AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield finished by February 8th Rated 5 stars (I loved it!!!)

Full of misterys, ghosts and creepy characters the The Thirteenth Tale is one of the most amazing stories I´ve ever read, because it´s so well written that every piece fits in its place at the end.

46 to go...

message 6: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:40AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Madapple by Christina Meldrum
Madapple by Christina Meldrum finished by February 16th, rated 3 stars.

I guess I spected something different, when started reading this book. Has to be said I was told this was a teen book.

5 down still missing 45

message 7: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Steelflower by Lilith Saintcrow
Steelflower by Lilith Saintcrowfinished by March 5th Rated 4 stars (Like it but I feel that something is missing... and waiting for the second part).

Not that bad, but it took a while for me to get involved in the story. Eventhough it´s full of action, love, mistery and other things I appreciate in a book. The story didn´t grow on me as Ii spected.

6 down missing 44... kind of falling behind...

message 8: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold finished by March 17th Rated 3 stars (I expected more or maye something diferent).

The begining of this book is great but then it turns slow and full of things that aren´t really part of the story like just to fill space and I also think there are some explanation missing.

7 counting down to 43... Need to catch up

message 9: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:42AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Graceling by Kristin Cashore finished by March 31th Rated 5 stars (Loved it!!! Highly recomendable).

Great book!!! I liked the way the story was written that gives you clues of what will happen next but is not entirely predictible, great quality for a first part.

8 counting down to 42... starting to improve

message 10: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:42AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Fire (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, #2) by Kristin Cashore
Fire by Kristin Cashore finished by April 19th Rated 4 stars (Loved it!!! Highly recomendable but definity not really a sequel)

This story is good but is not really a sequel, I has almost no relation with the first book. In fact it´s more like the same story, just with different characters in a different landscape than a sequel for the first book.

9 read missing 41

message 11: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey finished by May 9th Rated 5 stars

(Not for young kids too much blood and violence)

"Yes, my dear child, monsters are real. I happen to have
one hanging in my basement."

I picked up this book thinking it was going to be something totally different from what it is. But at the end I totaly love it.

message 12: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:44AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo finished by May 14th rated 3 stars

I must admit that I spected something else from this book, considering that the only things I knew of it before my reading was, that´s supossed to be a book for kids and I read a little sinopsis somewhere that made me want to read it. A story of a moody rabbit and its journey back home sounded like fun...

still missing 39!!!

message 13: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:44AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
To Kill A Mockingbirdby Harper Lee finished by May 19th rated 5 stars

(A new personal favorite)

I picked this book at first because its considered a master piece of american literature, so I was curious...

Missing 38 hopping to catch up soon!!

message 14: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:45AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments El Príncipe de la Niebla by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
El Príncipe de la Niebla by Carlos Ruiz Zafón finished by May 21th rated 4 stars (Highly recomendable!!!)

The story is really well written and very dynamic so it´s very easy to read an follow, additional to this the landscapes described in the book are marvelous.

Counting down to 37!!!

message 15: by Lola (last edited May 26, 2010 08:45AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments El Palacio de la Medianoche by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
El Palacio de la Medianoche by Carlos Ruiz Zafón finished by May 26th rated 3 stars (Not that bad)

I thought that this book has part of a trilogy with the Prince of Mist. Now I know that they are part of a set of three stories but they are not related.

Still missing 36

message 16: by Lola (last edited Jun 01, 2010 10:31AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Las Luces De Septiembre (Niebla, #3) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Las Luces De Septiembre by Carlos Ruiz Zafón finished by May 31th rated 4 stars

Eventhough the story is very much alike to the two previous stories in the series I think this one is better founded that the other two

message 17: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Catcher in the Rye finished June 15th rated 1 star

I ended feeling tired of this kid and his stupid behaviour and very sorry for all those who sees him as an icon of youth.

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 360 comments Lola wrote: "The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Catcher in the Rye finished June 15th rated 1 star

I ended feeling tired of this kid and his stupid behaviour and very sorry for all thos..."

I totally agree Lola. I read this book last year and really disliked it. I just didn't agree with all the hype. Maybe if I'd actually read it when I was a teen, I would have felt differently than I do now in my 40s. However, I've read other YA books recently that I could very much identify with the teen protagonists. This book just wasn't one of them.

message 19: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Lies (Gone, #3) by Michael Grant

Lies by Michael Grantfinished June 26 rated 4 stars.

I still can´t imagine what would I do in a situation like this, even though I´m not longer a teen.

message 20: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2) by Carrie Ryan
The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan finisheed July 2th rated 5 stars

At the begining I thought that this was going to be a not-really-a-sequel sequel. I can gladly say I was wrong.

message 21: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly finished July 11th rated 3 stars

Even though I liked the story, I think the author doesn´t present anything new.

message 22: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Ghostgirl Homecoming (Ghostgirl, #2) by Tonya Hurley
Ghostgirl: Homecoming by Tonya Hurley finished July 14th rated 3 stars

The story has its amusing parts as well as the borring ones, but at the end it delivers a nice mesage.

message 23: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan
The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan finished July 21st rated 5 stars

This book tells the story of two siblings, a bunch of Egyptian gods, some really strange creatures, a frantic race around the world, and the mysteries around them all .. I really don´t like spoilers, so I´m just going to say that this book is worth reading

message 24: by Lola (last edited Jul 28, 2010 02:20PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston
Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston finished July 28th rated 4 stars

Highly recomendable if you like faeries, and love stories with a twist of action

message 25: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2) by Lesley Livingston
Darklight by Lesley Livingston finished by August 2nd rated 4 stars.

I´ll be waiting for the next part, hoping for the story will have a better ending!!!

message 26: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3) by Lilith Saintcrow by Lilith Saintcrow finished by August 8th rated 5 stars

Oh Come on!!! When finally things were getting a bit clearer...What kind of ending is that??

message 27: by Lola (last edited Aug 12, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate

Fallen by Lauren Kate finished by August 12th rated 3 stars

At the end, I sort of liked the story but I think that the book is to long and full of loose threads.

message 28: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Found (The Missing, #1) by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix finished by August 17th rated 3

Definitely a nice break from vampires and warewolves...

message 29: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher finished by August 18th rated 4.5 stars

I loved the way that the author captured the human nature in every character since they are not all good or all bad.

message 30: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson finished August 28th rated 4 stars

Highly recomendable if you like an old good fashioned mystery.

message 31: by Lola (last edited Aug 31, 2010 09:58AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Sapphique (Incarceron, #2) by Catherine Fisher

Sapphique by Catherine Fisher finished August 30th rated 3 stars

To much "Art Magicke" for me...Anyway very good story with a very touching ending.

(This is the kind of book that deserves to be continued in a long series)

message 32: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins finished September 6th rated 5 stars

The Mockingjay is the prefect ending for one of the most amazing series I´ve ever read,

message 33: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

The ending was no so bad but kind of unbelievable, still it leaves you hooked if you what to know the real ending of the story

message 34: by Lola (last edited Oct 01, 2010 09:43AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson finished september 30th rated 3 stars

I liked the trilogy. As I said after finishing the first book, Larsson´s style made me fill like being in an old black and white detetive movie.

message 35: by Lola (last edited Dec 20, 2010 12:35PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by
Cassandra Clare finished by september 30th rated 2 stars

I like it, enough to continue reading the series, but I still think that lately all this YA books are kind of the same, vampires, werewolves, and love triangles ...

message 36: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare finished October 8th rated 2 stars

I'm still hoping for an improvement but so far I'm not a big fan of the series.

message 37: by Lola (last edited Oct 18, 2010 06:25PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell finished October 15th rated 5 stars

I´ve got one of the most amazing
and well written books I've ever read.

Still missing 14 so far...BTW this one should count as two

message 38: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald finished October 18th, rated 1 star.

I wouldn't recomend it to anyone.

message 39: by Lola (last edited Oct 26, 2010 04:16PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly finished October 25th, rated 5 stars

I made some research on the author and I found out that it took her ten years to finish this book. I think it totally worth it !!!

message 40: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare finished October 25th, rated 2 stars

Why does authors keep on with series like this that are not good just to make money instead of writing more interesting stand alone books?

message 41: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments House by Frank E. Peretti

House by Frank E. Peretti finished October 29th rated 2 stars

I did enjoy it but I was looking for something different.

message 42: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Name of the Rose Including Postscript by Umberto Eco

The Name of the Rose: Including Postscript by Umberto Eco finished November 11 rated 3 stars

At the end the mystery solves in a not so obvious way, and it all wraps up nicely so it worth the 500+ pages.

message 43: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Sent (The Missing, #2) by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix finished by November 19th rated 2 stars

Though it's a book for kids I really liked the message.

message 44: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón finished by December 2nd rated 5 stars.

So far I have read three other books by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Prince of Mist,El Palacio de la Medianoche, and Las Luces De Septiembre. I can assure that from the four this one is my favorite

message 45: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima finished by December 20th rated 3 stars

I hope the story will develop into something really good since it has all the elements of a great series.

message 46: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss finished by December 21th rated 5 stars

A perfect set up for whatever is coming next but still a very intereting story by itself

message 47: by Lola (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments La soledad de los números primos by Paolo Giordano

La soledad de los números primosby
Paolo Giordano finished by December 23th rated 3 stars

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pedro Páramo (other topics)
Betrayals (other topics)
The Kite Runner (other topics)
The Thirteenth Tale (other topics)
Madapple (other topics)
More...