75 Books discussion

Archive (2010 Completed!) > Dawn Michelle's 75 Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 119) (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 1. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S.Lewis

5 Stars

Re-read/January 3, 2010

Lovely re-read. I just love these books. I get so caught up in the amazement and wonder that is Narnia (I still check closets and wardrobes that I come across). If just sweeps you away.

I have been reading these every year since I was eleven and I figured what a perfect way to start this new year (and decade) off than with this series!!!

message 2: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jan 08, 2010 04:09PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 2. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian by C.S.Lewis

4 Stars

Re-read
January 4, 2010

Still my least favorite of the books. I really don't know why, but most of this book bores me to tears. I think that the movie was really good because they actually fleshed it out some (they really had to as the book is all "talk,talk,talk").
Still, I enjoyed it well enough--there were a couple things I had forgotten about and it was interesting re-discovering those tidbits.

message 3: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 3. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S.Lewis

5 Stars

Re-read
January 4. 2010

This is still my favorite book of the series. I love the idea of an adventure like this~~where you have NO idea where you are going or what you will encounter~~such fun! WHO wouldn't want to do that at one point in their life?? I know I would.
Fabulous!!

message 4: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 4. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy by C.S.Lewis

5 Stars

Re-read
January 4, 2010

I always think when I start this book that I don't care for it(like Prince Caspian), and then all of the sudden, I am all caught up in it and I remember how much I DO enjoy it and *POOF* its all done. It was a really fast-paced read for me this time.

Because of previous reviews I have to wonder if my feeling do run hot and cold with this one. Well, this time, it ran hot and I LOVED it.

message 5: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 5. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

5 Stars

Re-read
January 5, 2010

(Just realized I read this and The Horse and His Boy in the wrong order. RATS!!)

LOVE this book. Love the growth of Eustace. I love how he learns to take control of situations and how it shows how easy it is to be distracted from what you are setting out to do.
Fabulous read with LOTS of adventure and thrills and friendship!!!

message 6: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 6. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew by C.S.Lewis

5 Stars

Re-read
January 6, 2010

I love this book. I love how Narnia begins. The wonder and beauty of it!! I love Digory has to make hard choices (just like in our real lives) and is rewarded when he makes the right ones, even the ones that cost his soul real pain.

I enjoy how Polly and Digory are friends, and even when it gets nasty (re:Charn), their friendship (though it wavers) comes out strong.

This story is about choosing good over evil and how that isn't always the easiest choice and what happens when you don't choose good.

message 7: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jan 08, 2010 04:56PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 7. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle by C.S.Lewis

5 Stars
Re-read
January 7,2010

The End of Narnia. Sort of.
I am always both sad and excited when I read this book. Sad, because its the end of these stories. Those of us who LOVE Narnia wish these books could have gone on for forever! But, those who know that these are allegories of the Christian life know that we all will find Heaven and the end of our Christian walk, just like they in the book find the New Narnia. Which is why there is excitement along with the sadness. A great completion (since there has to be one) to a fabulous set of stories!!!

message 8: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Jan 08, 2010 04:55PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 8. The Chocolate Cat Caper(A Chocoholic Mystery #1)by JoAnna Carl

3 1/2 Stars
Read January 8, 2010

Cute book. Loves all the chocolate talk. Enjoyed the facts about it as well. And the mystery wasn't half bad wither. I knew who had done it before the book ended (though it was a guess), but I didn't know why. And it took me awhile to get there because she wrote the story so well and through in a lot of red herrings.

Lee has moved back to Michigan from Texas (she left her rich husband and needed a new place to live) and has moved into her Aunt's house and has taken over the business end of her Aunt's chocolate business.
A rich woman, but not liked woman in town has ordered thousands of dollars of chocolates for a party she is throwing and its up to Lee to get them there unscathed. But when Clementine turns up dead, literally at Lee's feet and it seems the chocolate she was eating was the cause, Lee takes off her accounting hat and puts on a detective hat and scrambles to find out who did it before death strikes again and she and her aunt end up behind bars!

I am anxious to read the next one because I think this series will just get better as the books go on!!

message 9: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1659 comments Hello, Dawn. You sure have been busy! I'm always cheerful when I hear about a new mystery series (or at least new to me). This one sounds good, and I'm betting I can relate to some of the Michigan stuff, having spent the first 24 years of my life there.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 134 comments I love Narnia and so do my daughters (8 and 5)...

message 11: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Melissa wrote: "I love Narnia and so do my daughters (8 and 5)..."

Oh wow! You read Narnia, too! I just finished the whole Chronicles the other day for the first time and loved them! :)

message 12: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments Yeah, Narnia is one of my most favorite and treasured sets of books. Been reading them for a L O N G time now. LOVE it!!

@Kay~I think you would like these. Certainly nowhere NEAR as annoying as the Bookstore books. Actually, not annoying at all to be honest !!

message 13: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1659 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Yeah, Narnia is one of my most favorite and treasured sets of books. Been reading them for a L O N G time now. LOVE it!!

@Kay~I think you would like these. Certainly nowhere NEAR as annoying as th..."

Thanks for that tip - you know I'm right there with you on the bookstore books!

message 14: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 9. The Courage to Dream (Love Inspired #205) by Margaret Daley

3 1/2 Stars
January 9, 2010

Good read. I really enjoyed this story. Much more than the past few I have read, In this one, the problems that the characters had (and faced) seemed very real to me and the emotions that they all had were very real (AND appropriate) to the situation. I can actually recommend this one highly!!

10. Yuletide Homecoming (Love Inspired #422)by Carolyne Aarsen

4 Stars
January 9, 2010

WOW!
This story really hit home for me. As someone who has serious issues with her father, this was at times both painful AND poignant to read. And it was also a great reminder that I need to NOT try and please my father here, but my Heavenly Father. That is all that is ultimately important.

It was wonderful to see the characters grow in the Lord and learn that forgiveness heals even the deepest wounds!!!

11. Secret Place of Thunder (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5) by Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris

Re-Read
January 11, 2010
5 Stars

Because of all the chaos in my life right now (re: Erik at Sunnybrook), I just felt the need to have familiar books. So, I am re-reading my favorites from the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series. Then I will start something new!

I love this book!! It shows what happens when you choose evil over God. And it also shows how that evil can penetrate your life if you don't focus completely on the Lord. Fabulous book!!!

12. Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #7) by Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris

5 Stars
Re-read
January 12, 2010

This is by far my favorite of all the books. There is so much going on that it really does take several reads to get everything and comprehend ALL that is happening.
Set in Hawaii, mainly in Maui, amidst the beauty and lushness, there is also danger, anger and the finding of oneself and above all, LOVE!

message 15: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 13. Driven with the Wind (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #8) by Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris

4 Stars
Re-read
January 13, 2010

A tough book to read.

To love when its wrong and to get over that love is very tough. To do it when you are constantly thrown together with that person is even tougher.

To find the truth out about ones family and then share that knowledge with your currently family and HOPE that they accept this new knowledge and ALL that comes with it is also tough.

Both Cheney AND Dev face these things in this book. But its Shiloh, in all his pride and thoughts of being a good person, who faces the biggest challenge of the three~~~keep running and face damnation, or finally, submit to God's redeeming love....

14. The Moon by Night (Cheney and Shiloh: The Inheritance #3) by Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris

5 Stars
Re-read
January 14, 2010

NO NUMBER: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Started January 14, 2010/NOT FINISHING
I am not interested in reading a book where F*CK is said 8+ times in the first 2 pages!!
I don't mind some swearing. I read and HAVE read books with language. I am not a prude by any means, and I understand that kids (and adults for that matter) talk this way on a regular basis, BUT, I don't have to hang out with people that do and I certainly don't have to read a book where you are assaulted with that form of swearing(just flipped through the book and was amazed at just how MUCH language is in this book. UGH!)!!
What a shame. I was so looking forward to reading this book too. Sigh...

15. Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson

3 Stars
Read January 17,2010
Well.
I had stopped reading this series 2 book prior to this one. I think part of it was sue to the increasing amounts of language that I was uncomfortable with (there is just some language I will not tolerate) and the other part was that I was bored with the stories. After awhile, it seemed like they were all the same or very similar. But, I picked this up cheap ($1.00!!) and thought I would give it a shot.

It was an ok read. Not great. Ok. Goldy is still a caterer that gets into all sorts of hot water. Its really a wonder her hubby hasn't been fired due to her antics. She seems to find more dead bodies than actual catering, though some of the dead bodies are found WHILE she is catering. YUCK! And yes, there was still the language issue that has bothered me before.

BUT, I didn't know how did it AT ALL, or why and there were enough twists to keep me reading, even when I wanted to give up because I was upset. It just took me longer than most, because not all the book was exciting and I got bored quickly with it. It just wasn't fabulous!!

So, if you love this series, chances are you will love this book. But, if you feel like I do about it, chances are you are NOT missing anything by skipping it.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I felt the same way about Nick and Norah's Playlist. The cursing was not a huge deal by itself, but it was too distracting. I also felt that the book did not have much to redeem it.

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 3273 comments Mod
15 in the first month! At this rate you may hit 180 by the end of the year!

message 18: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments @Julie~ I know what you mean. I read lots of books actually that have cursing in them. But I just don't like books where it seems the cursing is gratuitous..ya know what I mean?? Glad I didn't really miss anything by not finishing it.

@Andrea~ I always start out strong and then fizzle out at the end. I don't know why!! :-)

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Ahhhhh...me too :)

message 20: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1659 comments Dawn Michelle, I smiled to see that you read some of the Cheney Duvall MD books this year - I remember your encouragement as I read them in 2008! Just love those books . . . next time I'm in a funk I will probably pick one of more of them up again.

And I'm also with you on the language thing. There have been several books I've returned to the library unread because the language in the first chapter turned my stomach. But sometimes it doesn't bother me - like when I read "The Highly Effective Detective" by Richard Yancey last year. In that story, only the bad guy used fowl language and it fit the plot.

message 21: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments Kay,

I am so with you on the language thing. I have read a lot of books that have had language in them that hasn't bothered me that much because it fit the story/character. I just don't like swearing for swearing's sake. Or to see if the author can shock the crap out of the reader just for the heck of it. UGH!!

It was lovely to revisit Cheney and Shiloh! I love those books and really just needed a re-read of my fav's. :-)

message 22: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Feb 07, 2010 01:49PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 16. The Princess by Lori Wick

5 Stars
Read January 20, 2010

I am reading a "tough" book right now, so I am re-reading some of my favorites (ones I love, but don't need to concentrate on) while I go forth and conquer this other book!!
I love this Lori Wick book. Its one of my favorites by her. A great story!!

17. Donovan's Daughter (The Californians #4)by Lori Wick

5 Stars
Read January 20, 2010

This is also a re-read for me. Its my favorite in this series. I love Marcail and her strength and her total reliance on God. Even in the face of adversity. Not to say she doesn't have to learn and grow. Which she does. A lot. :-)
Great story!

18. Just above a whisper (Tucker Mills Trilogy #2) by Lori Wick

5 Stars
Read January 21, 2010

Another re-read. And once again, my favorite of the series.

19. Hell? Yes!...and other OUTRAGEOUS truths you can STILL believe by Robert Jeffress

5 Stars
Read January 27, 2010
Non-Fiction

WOW! This was an amazing book. I took pages of notes and plan on buying it and reading it again with a highlighter! Yes, it was THAT good!

Pastor Jeffress lays out seven truths that Christians today can still (and should emphatically) believe in. He doesn't beat you over the head with it though, He just lays it all out with scripture, quotes, statistics and more. And asks TONS of questions. He lays everything out for you, asks serious questions and then sits back and lets you find out HOW and WHAT you truly believe on your own. He is there to guide you down the right path, but at no time did I feel like I was being brow-beaten.

You will either love this book and what it has to say (even if it says things that are hard to hear and makes you re-evaluate what you "thought" you believed) -OR- you will reject all that you just read and hate the book. Its that kind of read.

I hope that all the chose to read this book do so with an open mind. Its very thought provoking and I promise you, you will learn so much from it!!
I for sure did. And I truly hope that I will be a better Christian because of it.

message 23: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Feb 03, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 20. Dial OM for Murder (Mantra for Murder #2)by Diana Killian

3 1/2 Stars
Read January 31, 2010

Very good read. Lots of twists and turns. Lots of yoga information (some I am anxious to try out). And in this one, lots of self-discovery. And along with solving a murder, the discovery that doing the right thing and letting love both go AND in, are the best things ever!

LOVED this!!

21. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

2 Stars
Read January 31, 2010

Well.
I know I didn't like the beginning of this book. AT ALL. Took me forever to finish part one because of that. The characters just DROVE me crazy! Then towards the end of part one, it really picked up. And then, part two started and I really started liking this book. I think I read all of part two in a couple hours one night (For me, this book took a lot longer to read because there is so much to process. LOTS of nuances). Then came part three---UGH!!! So many things happened that you just can't believe would really happen, and yet, you can see how and why some of the things do. But, I didn't like part three either. At all. Weird huh? And then at the end you are hit with such tremendous sadness (that still has my heart aching), that just really then overshadows everything you just read.

Not my most favorite book for sure, but an ok one overall.

message 24: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Feb 03, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 22. Eggs in Purgatory (A Cackleberry Club Mystery #1) by Laura Childs

3 Stars
Read February 2, 2010

Hmm.

I find it very jarring when a writer (who's previous books I have read and enjoyed) all of the sudden gets the urge to use foul language. I understand about each series needing to be different, but I don't understand why they have to go in that particular direction. Especially when the other books (with NO language) have worked so well for them! Oh well.

That said, I did like this book. After the first initial shock of language (and to be honest, its NOT like its "F" words), I really started to get into the characters. And then the swearing was very minimal. And I liked it enough that I will at least read the second book. Suzanne, Petra and Toni are great characters (their one flaw is that they love the words sh*t and a**h*le). They have loved and lived life and are ready to start again after some heartache in all three of their lives.

The mystery was good. I was rather stunned at the end. Laura Childs IS the queen of the "red herring". So we will give the next one a try and see how that one goes.

message 25: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1659 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "20. Dial OM for Murder (Mantra for Murder #2)by Diana Killian

3 1/2 Stars
Read January 31, 2010

Very good read. Lots of twists and turns. Lots of yoga information (some I am anxious to try out). ..."

Dawn Michelle, I've been wanting to read something by Diana Killian. She's hard to find in my local libraries, though. I'm glad you hear you liked this book - maybe I'll make a request for some of her books and see if my county library will pick them up.

message 26: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments Kay,
I had never read anything by her until I picked up the Mantra for Murder series. I hope you can get her books and that you enjoy her. I have, so far! :-)

message 27: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Feb 11, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 23. Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett

4 Stars
Re-read
February 5, 2010
Young Adult

It was fun re-reading this story. I last read it in 2008, so I didn't remember all of it, and it there is quite a bit going on throughout this book, it was fun rediscovering things I had forgotten about from the first time.

I am re-reading the first two in prep to read the third one. I don't know if she is writing more in this series (I HOPE so), but I have to say that these are some of my favorite YA books. I have learned so much about Vermeer (from this book), Frank Lloyd Wright (from the next book) and about Chicago. These books are GREAT fun!!!!

message 28: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 24. Shattered Dreams: My life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer

4 1/2 Stars
Read February 6, 2010
Non-Fiction

WOW! WOW! WOW!

What an amazing read!!! The author is an amazing writer!!! Considering she only went to school until grade 9 (she later went back as an adult and took classes), she write extremely well, and tells her story in such a way that it makes it very hard to put the book down (which is what happened to me. I just BLEW through this in an afternoon).

And what a story it is. Irene grew up in a 4th generation polygamist home. From the time she was very little, she is taught in "The Principle" of polygamy and how she is nothing without it. And when she is 16, she feels God is calling her to become the second wife of her 1/2 sister's husband (who is dedicated to The Principle). And so, even though she is in love with another man, she "marries" Verlan and goes off to make a life with him and to help him "live the Principle" to the fullest (which will include watching him "marry" EIGHT other women and father 58 children).
What she doesn't count on is extreme jealousy (from herself, from the other wives and from Verlan's crazed brother's, one who claims he is a prophet from God and needs to lead them all), abject poverty (because of raids on Polygamist "camps", Verlan moved his brood to Mexico where they lived with NO electricity or indoor plumbing and ofter had 20+ people in a 3 bedroom house), and a loneliness and desire for TRUE love that consumes her and that she almost never recovers from!!

Written in an upfront, frank matter, Mrs. Spencer never tries to glorify the life of polygamy. She just lays it all out there for you to see. She does at times try to justify what she has done, but the reality of it all (and you see that almost immediately) is that this life was ALL she ever knew and the fear of hell and damnation should she NOT marry into this lifestyle hung over her continually and colored every single decision she ever made.

This books ends in an amazing way. It shocked and saddened and surprised me totally. And it gave me hope. Hope that people will read this and learn from all she has gone through.

One of the BEST books I have read in ages. FABULOUS!!!

message 29: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 25. The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett

Re-Read February 8, 2010
4 1/2 Stars

OH. MY. HEART!!
I totally forgot how AWESOME this book was. And how much I so want to go to Chicago and see this house in person. And see if I feel all that the kids do when they are around the house (which I am sure I will since I get all warm and fuzzy just LOOKING at pic's of the house). And as I am reading this, I realized that it was because of this book that I went and bought "Loving Frank". Which I also LOVED. I am a huge FLW fan and a book about a one of his houses is just like icing on the cake for me!!

I really love how these4 kids work together to solve problems and how they totally see the world in a completely different way.
GREAT read!!!!!

message 30: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 26. More Diners, Drive-In's and Dives by Guy Fieri

Read February 10, 2010
4 Stars

What a fun read!! Not only a great cookbook, but really fun stories about the places the recipes come from. A lot of stuff that you don't always see on the show. And lots of fun quips from Guy along with fun photo's.
I can't wait to go to some of these places! What a great time it will be!!!

message 31: by Joy (new)

Joy (joyful_reader) | 1074 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "26. More Diners, Drive-In's and Dives by Guy Fieri

Read February 10, 2010
4 Stars

What a fun read!! Not only a great cookbook, but really fun stories about the places the recipes come from. A lot..."

this looks interesting!

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Dawn Michelle my boyfriend and I love watching this show and ohhing and ahhing over some of the dishes! I recently made his artichoke and sun dried totmato stuffed chicken and it was the bomb!

message 33: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments Mmmm, that sounds SO good. I just may have to look that one up and make it myself!!!

message 34: by Andrea (new)

It was sooo worth the work and tasted even better the next day. I served mine with wheat pasta and a fire roasted tomatoe sauce. I added extra cheese from the original version too :)

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Just for you Dawn Michelle!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gu...

message 36: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments YAY!! Thank you so much Andrea!!!!!

message 37: by Andrea (new)

No problem hun! :)

message 38: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 27. The Calder Game by Blue Balliett

4 Stars
Read February 16, 2010

WOW!!!
These books were just amazing. And this was was even more so. It had my head tossing and turning and to be honest, since my head doesn't really go that way (with all the math/number/puzzle/maze references...I struggle with ALL that), I didn't and still don't understand a lot of what was going on. BUT, even though I didn't understand "The Calder Game" (<--the actual game that the book is based on), I did LOVE reading the book. And I have a new interest in Alexander Calder's are and work. Which is totally cool!

Somewhere in the middle of this book, I realized that there probably won't be any more books with these kids (which bums me out more than I can say)in them, because each book was about each of the kids specifically. "Chasing Vermeer" was Petra's story, "The Wright 3" was Tommy's story and obviously, "The Calder Game" is about Calder. Even though all three were involved, each one of their strengths were showcased.

I loved the adventure, the intrigue and the thrill of this story. If it IS the last one, then it was a great way to end the series!!

message 39: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 28. Traveling Light: Releasing the Burdens You Were Never Intended to Bear (Psalm 23) by Max Lucado

4 Stars
Read February 16, 2010

This was a very good, VERY thought-provoking book. I like this author a lot. I enjoy how he writes and how presents things in his books.

We all have burdens we carry around with us. As Christians, we are to give these burdens to the Lord. And anyone who has tried doing this, knows that is is so much easier said than done.

But, what if we took a clue from King David and apply the words he penned in Psalm 23, during a particularly trying time in his life? What if, we let God be our shepherd? What if....we let Him take all our burdens? Even if we have to, every day, quote these verses and hand the burdens over, ONE DAY, we will wake up and realize we no longer OWN those burdens and have moved on. OH blessed day!!

Written in a easy, witty manner, Mr. Lucado presents his "case" in a very straightforward manner, without seeming preachy, holier-than-thou or in a way that makes you think that this will be easy. And he is quick to admit that he struggles with releasing HIS burdens too. Which makes him seem way more human and accessible. And makes the read even more enjoyable. Because you realize, this is just one flawed man, saved by grace, struggling and finding peace with God just like you are. And that you are NOT alone in this.

Really good read!

message 40: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 29. A Touch of Dead: Sookie Stackhouse: The Complete Stories by Charlaine Harris

3 1/2 Stars
Read~February 18, 2010

Good, short read that sort of fills in Sookie's life. We see how she gets "in" with Claude and Claudine. We see how she is still TOTALLY attracted to Eric AND we see more about her cousin Hadley and all that happened to her.
Really fun, quick read, that of course, left me wanting MORE!! Makes me want to go back and re-read this whole series!!

message 41: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Feb 27, 2010 12:01PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 30. Dragonwell Dead (Tea Shop Mystery #8) by Laura Childs

3 1/2 Stars
Read~February 23, 2010

Good read!! I am loving this series! And this one had be guessing who the murderer actually was early on, but as I kept reading, I was "lured" away from that person until I totally forgot (until the end) that I had suspected them ALL along!! :-) That is how well she writes these stories!!

Filled to the brim with tea facts, this one also talks about orchids as well. And there was the intro of some interesting new characters that could make the upcoming books even more fun-filled than they already are!!

This one was interesting all the way until the end and I cannot wait to delve into the next one!!

31. The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery #2) by JoAnna Carl

3 Stars
Read~February 25, 2010

An ok read.
Ok, the characters are great, the story is descriptive the descriptions of where they live and the surrounding area are pleasant. The story (who did it and why and how they get to that conclusion)....weak!
I *knew* who did it (though I wasn't completely sure until the end, but I WAS mostly sure)VERY early on. Even with ALL the red herrings thrown in, I knew.

I really like these characters, and their side stories are nice. SOOOO, I am going to keep reading and HOPEFULLY, the storylines will improve as the books go on!!

32. The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery #3) by JoAnna Carl

3 1/2 Stars
Read~February 27, 2010

Well!
My wish (from the last book) was granted!!
Much better storyline, the bad "person" wasn't immediately known (though I had idea's of who it was, it wasn't in the first couple of chapters like in the previous books) and the "why" was interesting as well.
I still love these characters. And as she fleshes them out, they really become very enjoyable to spend time with. And yes, the storyline was better, but still, there is PLENTY of room for growth. I am hoping these just continue to grow and flourish as they go on!!

All-in-all,good read!

message 42: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Mar 06, 2010 05:15PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 33. The Silver Needle Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #9) by Laura Childs

3 Stars
Read~March 2, 2010

This was an easy one for me. I made a guess early on and I ended up being right. To me, it was (even that early on in the book/story)obvious, because this person was so NOT obvious!

Theo and the gang get themselves caught up in another mystery when, during the opening of the first ever Charleston Film Festival, a prominent (and highly un-liked) filmmaker is killed. And Theo is a witness. And Drayton also gets caught in the fray.

There are many suspects,many nefarious "Hollywood" characters to look at. But when one of their better known friends dies, Theo and gang thing that this is more personal than they had first imagined.

Fun book. Maybe not as good as the last couple, but still a lot of fun to read. I just love these characters and often wish there was a place just like the Indigo Tea Shop right near my house!!

message 43: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Mar 06, 2010 05:17PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 34. Knit One, Kill Two (Knitting Mysteries #1) by Maggie Sefton

Read March 3, 2010
4 Stars

FINALLY!!

I have been reading "cozy mysteries" for awhile now. Most of them I REALLY enjoy. But I am starting to see a pattern in them. Let me explain~~First, you have a party or a gathering or a function. Then, someone (usually its QUITE shocking) dies. Then, someone (the hero OR heroine of the stories) steps in to "help" local authorities and 128 pages later, *POOF*, the crime is solved. Not always neatly, but solved nonetheless.

THIS book was different. And since this is the first book in the series, I may be wrong about this, but it feels like it will continue in the vein that this one was written. Which is different than most of the cozy mysteries that I am currently reading.

This book told a story!! A believable story. With characters you want to learn more about. Who have believable lives. And believable foibles and quirks and temperaments. And are all bound together by their love of knitting and crafts.

And the best thing of all--I had NO idea (even though it was staring at me in the end) who the killer was. And was shocked when I realized. HOW REFRESHING!!!!

I cannot WAIT to read the second one in this series. I seriously hope it doesn't let me down!!

message 44: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 779 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "34. Knit One, Kill Two (Knitting Mysteries #1) by Maggie Sefton

Read March 3, 2010
4 Stars

FINALLY!!

I have been reading "cozy mysteries" for awhile now. Most of them I REALLY enjoy. But I am st..."

That sounds great, I will have to add that to my TBR.

message 45: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 35. Fruit of the Poisoned Tree (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery #2) by Joyce and Jim Lavene

3 Stars
Read March 9, 2010

Because I had to search all over e-bay for this book(currently, its not sold in stores. WHO knows why, since the rest of the series IS!), its been awhile since I read the first one(who's plot seems to escape me! I remember the characters mostly, but that is about it), I think I need to start writing the dates that I read the books on the inside cover. Anyway...

This book felt odd to me. Maybe because I really only remember the main character of the book. Everyone else is a complete blank for me!! Which is usually NOT the case, unless I do not like the book and I seem to remember liking the book. Well enough to search all over God's green earth for the second one!! I do have a hard time believing though certain parts of these stories. Specifically that just because Peggy is the widow of a respected police officer, she would be "allowed" to do ALL the investigating she does without some sort of consequences. In regards to this book: the search at the landfill. Seriously?? C'mon people!!! And I have a complaint with this book that I have with many of the "cozy mysteries"...the ending is WAY too pat. Sigh.

That said, it was a decent read. I had an idea of who did it and I WAS WRONG (which was VERY refreshing)!!, even though the person I guessed was involved, they were NOT the killer!
And I love all the plant facts. I love that I can read about gardening in this kind of setting instead of a "How to rescue "insert whatever plant you are currently killing"...". I can kill cacti, so to be able to just read a book and take in the info without having to rescue anything dying is very refreshing! And the plant facts are REALLY interesting.

I am going to read the next one in the series (because I have already bought it), but unless this picks up a bit, I do not know if I will finish the series!

message 46: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 36. Poisoned Petals (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery #3) by Joyce and Jim Lavene

2 1/2 Stars
Read March 12, 2010

Have you ever read a book, figured out what was going on about halfway through and then really wanted the book to be done so you can see if you are right? Yeah, that's how this book was for me.

I found this story to be so...so...well, unbelievable. I mean, most "cozy mysteries" are unbelievable to a certain degree, because WHO really keeps finding dead people and then solving their murders like the people in the "cozy mysteries" do? But, most of the time, there is some ring of truth in the stories..you can actually, maybe see that happening, so its not so glaring like it was in this one. And to be honest, I am sure that things like what happened in this story DO happen. But it just was so convoluted that it made it ludicrous to me.

I am not sure how far I am going to go with this series. There were many things about this book that bothered me, not just the murder/murderer. It was almost like someone else was writing this book. Which bothered me. And this is the 3d book where I sort of enjoy the story, but am not overwhelmed by it and I SO knew what was going on AND why (because I agree with Kay that sometimes its OK to know who did it as long as you don't know the "why". If its a good OR great story, you don't mind knowing the "who").

I cannot even write a review about this book because anyone with a brain would figure it out just from what I write about the story (Yeah, its THAT obvious). What a disappointment., I do love the characters though. But that, right now, isn't enough to keep me reading!

message 47: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Mar 16, 2010 04:24PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 37. Needled to Death (A Knitting Mystery #2) by Maggie Sefton

4 Stars
Read~March 16, 2010

I just LOVE these books.
They are just so fun, charming, and its like being with friends. I find these to be more believable than some of the other series' that I have been reading (re: The Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries), and the characters are so much fun and really engaging. Makes me wish I could head off to Colorado and sit, enjoying some of Eduardo's excellent coffee, in the knitting shop, listening to all these women and their lives (and maybe there, I would actually LEARN how to knit)!!

Kelly is still on leave from her job. She is telecommuting to be able to keep her job, but the estate her Aunt left her is NO WHERE near being ready to be signed off on. And trouble is, Kelly is LOVING being in Colorado. She is loving being, essentially her own boss. And she really loves that she can wear shorts to the office (because her office is now her HOUSE) every day. And she really loves that she can go to the knitting shop several times a day for breaks and meet up with her friends there. Its reviving her soul and spirit.

But, while on a "field trip" to a friends Alpaca farm with a group of out-of-town knitters, Kelly makes a gruesome discovery. Their friend has been murdered. And then, Kelly gets even more involved when the daughter of the victim shows up and asks Kelly for her help with all the financial records. And Kelly, being a good person AND a good CPA, agrees.

But, nothing (especially in Kelly's world) is ever easy, and as Kelly starts searching through all the records and financials, strange occurrences and unexplained disappearances of money start popping up, Kelly starts growing uneasy. And then, there is another murder. Will Kelly and Co. come out of this one unscathed??

CANNOT wait for the next one!!!!!

message 48: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 38. The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery #1)by Krista Davis

4 Stars
Read March 19, 2010

WHAT a fun read!!

While some these characters (the main police guy, not Wolf) are so NOT believable, most of them are very! Natasha channels Martha Stewart in such a way that is so grating that you cannot help but like and "pull" for Sophie even more! And you want her to "win" so even more when she is paired against Natasha.

With a great supporting "cast", this was a fun, fast read. I enjoyed every minute of it, especially the fact that I had NO idea WHO did it and why. WHICH was very refreshing!! An going out and buying the next two ASAP!!!

message 49: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 654 comments 39. The Film Club: A True Story of a Father and Son by David Gilmour

Read March 26, 2010
2 1/2 Stars

Eh.
I have wanted to read this book since I first saw it in a store several years back. I initially thought (and still do actually), that it would be a good read for the husband, but I also thought, "Hey! Its a book about movies. I like movies. I would like this book." So, when I saw it cheap at the secondhand store, I snagged it up.

Eh.
So the book is sort of about movies. I mean, they watch a TON of films (over three years)and the author does a brief soliloquy before each film (he learns to not go "on and on" because his son zones out quickly), bit he never REALLY goes into the kind of detail I was really hoping for.

My main issue with this book....actually there are two issues...ONE, is the language. I CANNOT imagine talking to my parent's like that (even my Father who has NO issue with language). I can't even imagine my DH's liberal parent's letting their children talk to them that way. It was enough to REALLY bother me all through the book. TWO, was is the premise of the book---Jesse (the child), cannot deal with school and so his parent's let him drop out during GRADE 9, with the only caveat being he has to watch and critique movies 3 times a week with his dad.

WHAT???

And while that initially sounds awesome, it totally pressed on me how TOTALLY irresponsible this really was. And how damaging.

But this book, much more than just movies, is about Jesse, his relationship with his dad and his downward spiral and eventual upward spiral back into life. And truly, it is tough to read about. And not really enjoyable, in the long run, to read about either. At least for me.

I am glad that Jesse comes out where he does, but I do not know if I ever really needed to read about it.

message 50: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1659 comments Dawn Michelle,

I always enjoy your reviews - you have such a way with words!

You've convinced me to give Maggie Sefton another try . . . I had started a few books into this series and had a hard time getting into it. Maybe I should go back and start at the beginning.

By the way, have I ever mentioned to you the cozy chicks blog? Different cozy mystery writers take a day of the week - it features Deb Baker (one of my favorites), Maggie Sefton, and others including Lorna Barrett (who writes that series you and I don't care for all that much). Heather Webber is on there, too - I read a couple of her books and really enjoyed them, though they were a little heavy on the romance side for the cozy genre, I thought. Anyway, here is the site for their blog in case you want to check it out. http://www.cozychicksblog.com/

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Left Neglected (other topics)