Comfort Reads discussion

Historical Fiction > Barbara Erskine

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 3956 comments Mod
I've just been reminded of Barbara Erskine who writes an interesting mix of historical fiction, mystery and time travel/paranormal happenings in her books. One I read and enjoyed years ago was Child of the Phoenix but she's written quite a few. Has anyone else read any? I think these are great books to get lost in for a few days.

Hannah (HannahR) Lee wrote: "I've just been reminded of Barbara Erskine who writes an interesting mix of historical fiction, mystery and time travel/paranormal happenings in her books. One I read and enjoyed ye..."

Barbara Erskine is a mixed bag for me. I love her book House of Echos and Hiding from the Light, didn't like Lady of Hay, and *think* I remember liking Kingdom of Shadows (it's in my TBR pile for re-read). Never read Child of the Phoenix.

Misfit I've read Child of the Phoenix and loved it. But be warned, if you've read Penman's Here be Dragons you might be a bit put out the way Erskin portrays Joanna and Llewellyn. You have to remember its FICTION and a lot of the story is made up, then it was OK. I've also read Lady of Hay, Kingdom of Shadows (I think that's it) and Hiding from the Light (very spooky).

I did find that she's one of those authors it's best to spread out between books so you don't get burn out.

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments I liked Lady of Hay, but then found each of her other books increasingly less compelling or weird.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Child of the Phoenix (other topics)
Lady of Hay (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barbara Erskine (other topics)