Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > Movies that made you cry

Comments (showing 401-450 of 461) (461 new)    post a comment »

message 401: by Jill (last edited Oct 28, 2010 08:23PM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments I want to preface this by saying that I'm not a big crier in movies. Don't know why, but I'm just not. Having said that, here are the movies that do turn me into a weepy mess:

Return of the King. I started crying when Gandalf and Pippin rode into Minas Tirith because it was just like I had imagined it when I read the books when I was a kid...and I cried for the rest of the movie. My friend, a tough farm boy if ever there was one, started crying when the Rohirrim road into the battle of Pelennor Fields while screaming "Death!"

Dancer in the Dark. If you don't start crying when she freaks out while in the holding cell, you have no soul. Bjork, whatever you might think of her as an artist, put everything she had into Selma. Very few movies can be both that beautiful and that horrifying.

Dumbo. The "Baby Mine" scene. Again, I can't imagine anyone being able to sit through that scene without getting teary-eyed.

Big Fish. The son finishing his father's story.

Schindler's List. The "I could have done more" scene.

UP. Damn Pixar and their emotionally touching films. The first fifteen minutes left all the five-and-under children in the theatre wondering why mommy/daddy/grandma/grandpa/aunt/uncle were suddenly bawling. That was an opening made especially for the adults in the audience.

Grave of the Fireflies. I've yet to meet a person who could watch this film all the way through without crying. It breaks your heart over and over again.

Seven Samurai. When the seventh samurai collapses with the child in his arms after watching the mother die, saying that that child "was me." Of course, I'm a sucker for Toshiro Mifune's acting.

Tokyo Story. A new addition to the list. Something caught in my throat when even the erstwhile preoccupied daughter breaks down.

Oh, and I admit to getting a little teary at the end of Pan's Labyrinth. I probably would have full on cried if I hadn't already been completely emotionally exhausted by the end. Part of me still has to believe that she got to go off and be a princess, dammit.

Phillip | 7524 comments love your list, jill - especially tokyo story and dancer in the dark

Kellyflower | 20 comments yes Jill excellent list.
Love the comments about Up & Grave Of The Fireflies I actually bought GOTF just for the purpose of lending it out to people who have never seen it. such a heartbreaking film.

Phillip | 7524 comments i've never heard of grave of the fireflies ... sounds like i should check it out.

message 405: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Phillip, you should definitely check out Grave of the Fireflies. It's one of those movies I think everyone should see once. Though your mileage may vary on how often you would want to re-watch it. It doesn't get easier with repeat viewing.

Phillip | 7524 comments thanks, now i am particularly intrigued

message 407: by mark (new)

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) Jill wrote: "I want to preface this by saying that I'm not a big crier in movies....."

it's funny that you mention Dancer in the Dark...the movie came up during a staff retreat today. most of my staff really thought it was torture. personally, i loved it. i mentioned how i started to cry a bit during the sequence in which catherine deneuve comes out and helps bjork while in the play (sound of music?)...something about that simple act of kindness really moved me. unfortunately, my staff were unmoved. bad staff!

message 408: by Cindy (last edited Oct 30, 2010 02:00PM) (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments I have yet to see DANCER IN THE DARK. I tried a couple of years ago, but the beginning -- where you learn of the family's desperate financial straits -- was too much for me. I was going through something very similar at the time -- I hadn't worked in six months, and I had just been notified that foreclosure proceedings were being filed against my house. I just couldn't see the entertainment value of that at the time.

message 409: by mark (new)

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) i feel the same way about movies explicitly depicting child abuse and molestation. although i haven't been personally affected, many people i know have been impacted and it's just not something i can ever see on screen without being upset, thinking about their experiences. i'll just walk out, or fast forward.

message 410: by Gigi (last edited Oct 31, 2010 07:44PM) (new)

Gigi | 44 comments Off the top of my head...Pan's Labyrinth (the ending broke my heart), Sophies Choice, Life is Beautiful and Steel Magnolias. I'm sure I'll post more later. LOL

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Penny Serenade Cary Grant Irene Dunne
Steel Magnolias for me as well
An Affair to Remember
Born Free
Bright Star

Gabriella (stardust_126) I can`t believe I forgot Andre.

Jackie | 39 comments I'm a big sap, I cry in movies all the time. Recently I watched the Secret Life of Bees, and I was crying during half of the movie.
Other's that always get me crying are:

- A Walk to Remember
- PS. I love you
- Beaches
- Phenomenon
- The Unsaid
- Men of Honour
- John Q
- Pearl Harbour
- The Blind Side
- Life as a house

I can't remember them all :-)

message 414: by Eva (new)

Eva | 218 comments That's a long list... and I'll probably forget a couple :)

- The Green Mile (when he goes to the chair)
- The Lion King (when dad dies)
- Up (when the dog get's teased and the end)
- Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
- Bambi (when the mother dies)
- Forrest Gump
- The Notebook
- City of Angels (when she dies)
- Dear John (when they seperate)
- Simon (when he dies_
- Komt een vrouw bij de dokter (when she dies)
- Amistad (the beginning, on the boat. And the "we want free" part)
- Little Miss Sunshine (where the older son screames when he finds out he can't become a pilot)
- The color purple (when the sisters get separated)
- The pursuit of happiness
- Rain Man
- Click (at the end, on the street)
- King Kong (when he dies)
- Hotel Rwanda
- La Vita E Bella
- The Pianist

Gabriella (stardust_126) i cried at beaches too.

Ashley | 6 comments -Beaches
-The Lion King
-Schindler's List
-Breakfast at Tiffany's (the end when Holly finally agrees to love and be loved)
-Bambi
-The Last Unicorn
-A Walk to Remember
-Terms of Endearment
-Steel Magnolias
-Mary Poppins (the first time I saw it I was little and cried over the fact that she left without saying goodbye)
-Charlotte's Web

Kittykittymeowcat | 1 comments one movie i saw that was really sad and i cried about even after it was finished was MY SISTERS KEEPER

★ Jess  | 31 comments Life is Beautiful
Dead Poets Society. That ending gets me every time...

Mawgojzeta | 266 comments Kyle wrote: "The Notebook, and Philidelphia, both made me cry. I still cry at E.T. I'm a soft touch."

E.T. : Cried so hard (the first time) and could not calm down; my mother finally yelled "he's not really dead!!!" Despite that, at nearly 40 years old, I still get teary-eyed.

message 420: by Blaise (last edited Jun 13, 2011 10:24AM) (new)

Blaise (BlaiseH) | 6 comments The Crow (Original with Brandon Lee)

Defendor (Yeah, the Woody Harrelson comic movie)

Phantom of the Opera (Gerard Butler version)

Everybody's Fine (Made me miss my Dad)

Almost forgot, Repo the Genetic Opera. The ending killed me.

Mawgojzeta | 266 comments Blaise wrote: "The Crow (Original with Brandon Lee)

Defendor (Yeah, the Woody Harrelson comic movie)

Phantom of the Opera (Gerard Butler version)

Everybody's Fine (Made me miss my Dad)

Almost forgot, Repo the..."

DEFENDOR was a movie I loved, told everyone I knew about, and insisted was not a comedy (as it was advertised). Excellent movie. I shed tears, too.

message 422: by Henry (last edited May 27, 2012 01:06AM) (new)

Henry | 1 comments The color purple when she start singing to whoopi "sister"

Million dollar baby at the end when he tells her what the logo means "my blood my love"

mystic river i can't remember if it was a tear jerker but the end had me feeling like Damn "the mother realizing what she did and her son just disappointed his dad not there

A time to kill court scene to the barbeque

War of the worlds -at the end when tom cruise realize his son was still alive gets me a lil

and yes you got mail ending in the garden gets me a lil teary eye

The bear -when the cub is being attack by the cougar and the bear is behind him

loved it

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 244 comments The last movie I saw was The Vow. I cried during the movie. But it ended happily.
I love the Rainman. Gone With the Wind
The Titantic The Kiss of the Spider Woman.

Maryanne Raphael

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 244 comments A movie I loved that made me cry was
Pete Kelly's Blues. I saw it years ago and I can still remember Peggy Lee singing the Rainbow song as she stands in the Mental Hospital and Doris Day singing Love Me Or Leave Me.
Maryanne

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 244 comments A recent movie that brought tears to my eyes was the Descendents. It also made me homesick for Hawaii where I lived ten years and raised my son.
Maryanne

message 426: by Julie (last edited May 26, 2012 10:52PM) (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 671 comments The film that immediately comes to mind is THE STONING OF SORAYA M., which contains one of the most brutal scenes of a woman being stoned to death in Iran. I believe it was based on a true story. Just knowing that this took place and that women are still being stoned to death really affected me.

Another film is GORILLAS IN THE MIST, the poaching scenes and Dian Fossey's murder.

THE SECRET LIFE OF WORDS, with Sarah Polley. She plays a haunted Bosnian war survivor, and Tim Robbins plays a damaged man who is under her nursing care on an oil rig in the middle of nowhere. When she finally reveals her story to him.

PARIS, TEXAS. The film aches with a sense of alienation and loneliness that permeates practically every pore.

NEVER LET ME GO. Some scenes were so beautifully sad, like the one with Andrew Garfield realizing how short his life will be and his anguish at the unfairness of it all.

SHAME, when Brandon reaches the end of his rope and breaks down--all of his carefully concealed addictions finally get the better of him.

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST--the ending.

INTO THE WILD--pretty much the ending too.

James (m0gb0y74) | 56 comments Been ages since I cried at a movie, but I remember crying when the boy flew away at the end of 'The Boy who could fly' when I watched it as a teen. Too many teen hormones I guess ;-)

Although it's a pale imitation of the original I cried at the end of 'City of Angels'.

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 244 comments I cried at The Kiss of the Spider Woman and A Beautiful Mind.

message 429: by Ea (new)

Ea | 61 comments Many of the films already listed have provoked a strong emotional reaction in one way or another, but never to the point of tears. Two of the very few exceptions I can think of have been Grave of the Fireflies and probably Philadelphia.

GotF had me hung over for several days, in fact. Later viewings were only marginally easier, but that first time was memorable - I remember sitting motionless in a half-stunned silence some thirty minutes after the credits had finished rolling.
It's only until the morning afterwards when I realised that I had spent the night sobbing (my pillowcase was soaked), and since I have no memory of actually crying then I must've done it in my sleep.

James (m0gb0y74) | 56 comments Ea wrote: "Many of the films already listed have provoked a strong emotional reaction in one way or another, but never to the point of tears. Two of the very few exceptions I can think of have been Grave of t..."

Grave of the Fireflies had me feeling depressed for quite some time after watching it. Hard but important viewing.

Phillip | 7524 comments i have to see that film ... still having a hard time finding it.

Phillip | 7524 comments well, shut my mouth - i went to netflix and found it - but in the non-streaming version .. fair enough.

Kellyflower | 20 comments Phillip wrote: "well, shut my mouth - i went to netflix and found it - but in the non-streaming version .. fair enough."

That's how I first viewed it.(DvD version) But then I ended up buying it so I could share the sadness/depressed feelings with family & Friends.

I agree with Ea & James.. it's one of those movies that clings to you long after your done watching it. I had this same feel after I finished reading McCarthy's book The Road
Thinking about either one of those brings out the sadness...

Julie (brontesister) | 671 comments GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, can't believe I forgot that one--one of the most bittersweet films I've ever seen--beautiful and haunting.

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) | 1427 comments Phillip wrote: "i have to see that film ... still having a hard time finding it."

GotF? New single-disc SE released in March. I was ridiculously happy I could replace my crappy old Region 0 Thai bootleg for less than thirty bucks...

Betsy (Cubgirl) | 31 comments Titanic, The Notebook & P.S I Love You will ALWAYS make me cry no matter how many times I see those movies!

Phillip | 7524 comments Robert wrote: "Phillip wrote: "i have to see that film ... still having a hard time finding it."

GotF? New single-disc SE released in March. I was ridiculously happy I could replace my crappy old Region 0 Thai b..."

yeah, i found it on netflix and put it up at the top of my queue ... been hearing you guys rave about it for a while now - needed to get off my butt and check it out.

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 59 comments I almost cried over a walk to remember where in the when Jamie walks down the aisle to marry landon

message 439: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Billy Elliot

Longtime Companion

One True Thing

message 440: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Jul 27, 2012 07:42PM) (new)

Mawgojzeta | 266 comments James wrote: "Been ages since I cried at a movie, but I remember crying when the boy flew away at the end of 'The Boy who could fly' when I watched it as a teen. Too many teen hormones I guess ;-)

Although it's..."

My cousin dated the lead character of "The Boy Who Could Fly" (Jay Underwood) while he was filming the movie. I remember her wanting to leave the shopping mall and get home because he had promised to call. Needless to say, I was very excited to see the movie. I am not sure if today I would feel the same, but I did cry at the end.

The original "Wings of Desire" was fabulous!!! I am guilty of enjoying "City of Angels", as well. Both left me in tears.

message 441: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 05, 2012 03:44AM) (new)

At last I picked up the courage to see this documentary:
EARTHLINGS (2005)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthlin...
[it is also available on youtube]

and obiously I cried, I felt deeply sorry and angry as well; but it's worth it.

Phillip | 7524 comments yow ... looks devastating. i'll check it out.

message 443: by [deleted user] (new)

er... unfortunately it is really devastating, especially being true.

Phillip | 7524 comments you were just talking about INTO THE ABYSS on another thread ... that's one that made me cry ... pretty much all throughout.

message 445: by [deleted user] (new)

you are not the only one: I had to stop the dvd when the father in prison was talking;
and also reading your words about the holocaust of the native Americans on the other thread made me cry. Denial and oblivon are really two of the few resources that are evenly distribued around the world - and in these parts we are becoming masters of them both: we have learned to forget from one day to the next.

Phillip | 7524 comments yep

message 447: by Julie (last edited Aug 09, 2012 02:16AM) (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 671 comments VÉNUS NOIRE made me cry--so many cruel scenes with the main character being exhibited like an animal in a cage for the general public to ooh and ahh and poke at. And the scenes where tears fall down her face at the indignities forced upon her.

DES VENTS CONTRAIRES (HEADWINDS)--there's a scene near the end that's heartbreaking, with a father having to give his kids bad news and their reaction. The song that plays over the ending credits made me cry with its melancholy sound and lyrics; it's called "Last Feeling." (I'll try to post something on this film some time soon).

Phillip | 7524 comments Julie wrote: "VÉNUS NOIRE made me cry--so many cruel scenes with the main character being exhibited like an animal in a cage for the general public to ooh and ahh and poke at. And the scenes where tears fall dow..."

the more i hear about this, the more it sounds like ELEPHANT MAN .. only, you know, different.

Tiffany McFly (tiffmcfly) | 122 comments So many films had made me cry! But the ones that stand out are:
Return to Paradise
I Am Sam
Crash
Marley & Me

Julie (brontesister) | 671 comments Phillip wrote: "Julie wrote: "VÉNUS NOIRE made me cry--so many cruel scenes with the main character being exhibited like an animal in a cage for the general public to ooh and ahh and poke at. And the scenes where ..."

Yes, similar to THE ELEPHANT MAN in that both characters are made to be sideshow freaks. John Merrick found a protector though, whereas Saartjes Baartman wasn't that lucky.

Both films expose society's cruelness towards those who are different, and both films tear at one's heart.