Historical Romance discussion

General Discussion on HR Books > Pregnant Heroines

Comments (showing 1-50 of 124) (124 new)    post a comment »

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) | 34 comments This question came to mind while in the thread 'The Courtesan/Prostitute Heroine. Do you like this theme? Why or why not?' but it's already just marginally on-topic....

Do you enjoy books in which the heroine get's pregnant either during the book or is pregnant when it begins?

I've never read a book like that knowing ahead of time that was a theme. I always think of this one women who was convicted for adoption fraud. They found tons of those tiny romance novels featuring pregnant heroines in her home; so I can't read one without thinking about adoption fraud.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments I love the pregnant heroine theme! I'm going to get slammed, I know I am, but I think the whole concept of having a baby is very touching, and I think it's kind of romantic when the H/h are having a baby together. Yes, it's not all roses. There's the discomforts of pregnancy and the toils of having children to take care of. But it's part of the fantasy for me.

I like the heroine to get pregnant during the book and I much prefer that the hero is the father. But I just read a book where the heroine was pregnant by her husband, not the hero, and it was still really sweet how the hero took care of her and bonded with the baby.

I prefer not to think of the lady who got convicted having a huge selection of those kinds of books. LOL.

I hope that people will list their favorite pregnant heroine books.

Probably one of my all time favorites is:

Heartless by Mary Balogh

Kelly  | 13 comments I have only read one with a pregnant heroine. I really enjoyed it Cathy Maxwell's A Scandalous Marriage by Cathy Maxwell

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments I think I have A Scandalous Marriage at home. Thanks, Kelly.

Some other good pregnant heroine romances:

Annie's Song by Catherine Anderson
Secret Fire by Johanna Lindsey
Gabriel's Bride by Samantha James

Romancereviewer | 8 comments I love it when, during the book, the hero's seed finds suitable purchase. He is always a tough strong character who becomes over protective with his woman, but is usually completely useless during the birth itself. In a lot of books I have read, the hero doesn't know he has impregnated the woman. She either keeps it from him or doesn't know herself because she is (or was) a virgin.

My favorites are:
"Seduced By His Touch" by Tracy Anne Warren
"Highland Warrior" by Connie Mason
"Highland Scoundrel" by Monica McCarty

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 325 comments I love the pregnancy theme, and ditto everything Danielle said.;-) I'll second Annie's Song as being one of the best. I also loved The Devil You Know by Liz Carlyle and Texas Splendor by Lorraine Heath.

Kathrynn | 883 comments Mod
I, too, enjoy the pregnancy theme for the same reasons that Danielle mentioned. Some authors that come to my mind on this are Connie Mason and Hannah Howell.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I think I have A Scandalous Marriage at home. Thanks, Kelly.

Secret Fire by Johanna ..."

Secret Fire is one of my all-time favourite books. Yay!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments I am writing down the ones you all are listing. Along the lines of what you were saying, Romancereviewer, there's a cute scene in From This Moment On by Lynn Kurland, where the hero faints when he finds out his wife is pregnant. He's this big, brash, formidable guy and he's totally freaked out by her being pregnant. I think he faints a couple of times when she's in labor too.

Kathy Otten | 229 comments Sweet Lullaby, by Lorraine Heath. The hero in this story is so sensitive and good with the baby, though he is not the father (I'm not giving anything away)and though the heroine is married to him, she still loves the baby's father. BTW he's still alive.

Dyanne  (dyanneg) | 36 comments Oldie but a goody ( and my very first romance novel)
The Flame and the Flower The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
Heroine is "with child" for about 1/2 the book ( reason they have to marry) Don't let the 1972 publish date scare you. This is a Classic by Kathleen Woodiwiss!!

Dyanne  (dyanneg) | 36 comments D:Book Huntress" : I love your Bookshelf Tag for Flame and the Flower :shotgun marriage!!

Nisha (parakisu) | 25 comments I like it, but I also love to hate it.

The reasons why I like? The heroes who are fathers are so adorable, and even the most rakish and arrogant men suddenly become dotting fathers.

Why i don't? Well, a relationship based solely upon the responsibility of a child does not always mean love, which contradicts the overall theme.

Still, I can't help it. My most favorite romance novels tend to have a little bit of a baby theme in it. Or at least a time when the hero is completely useless.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 328 comments I'm one of those weird ppl who actually wanted to be a mommy when she grew up. I wanted an even dozen. Sadly, I am unable to have any myself but I have one adopted sweetie. And for whatever reason I LOVE the baby theme. Perhaps its because they have what I wanted for so long. And the tender scenes when daddy gets to see and hold the baby for the first time are priceless to me.

Shell Schroth (MsShell) Heather wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I think I have A Scandalous Marriage at home. Thanks, Kelly.

..."

She was pregnant in secret fire??? I don't remember that... Isn't that the one where she get's drugged or something?

Arch I like the pregnancy theme too. I like when my favorite couple get married and the heroine gets pregnant.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "Heather wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I think I have A Scandalous Marriage at home. Thanks, Kelly.

Annie's Song by Cath..."

Yup, that's the one where she gets drugged and he gets drugged and she gets.... preggers!
Then she runs off back to London and hides from him for a while.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Dyanne wrote: "D:Book Huntress" : I love your Bookshelf Tag for Flame and the Flower :shotgun marriage!! "

Thanks!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Pamela wrote: "I'm one of those weird ppl who actually wanted to be a mommy when she grew up. I wanted an even dozen. Sadly, I am unable to have any myself but I have one adopted sweetie. And for whatever reason ..."

--I love the holding the baby moments too. You need to read Heartless if you love daddy moments!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Shell wrote: "Heather wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I think I have A Scandalous Marriage at home. Thanks, Kelly.

Annie's Song by Cath..."

Hi, Shell. In Secret Fire, she's pregnant towards the end of the book. Not really very long.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Dyanne wrote: "Oldie but a goody ( and my very first romance novel)
The Flame and the Flower The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
Heroine is "with child" for about 1/2 the book ( reason they..."

--I need to pull this off the shelf and read it.

Shel | 13 comments I love this theme, it's one of my favorites! Thanks for the link to your shelf Danielle!

message 25: by Lynsey A (last edited Jan 07, 2010 11:21AM) (new)

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Definitely had to add my two cents worth on this topic. I'm following Danielle on this one. I love the baby/pregnancy theme. I, too have a shelf for pregnancies called "baby". :-)

I love to see a hero go all weak and nervous about the baby. One of my favorite themes!

Yes, Danielle, thanks for the link to that shelf. I'll need to check out yours! I'm still sloooowwwllly working on mine. Ha ha.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Ooh, I need to check out your 'baby' shelf, Lynsey. I know I need to work on my shelf too. Sometimes I get lazy about adding books to different shelves. :)

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Please, feel free to check it out, Danielle. I have so many more to add. I think I have maybe one or two that you have on your shelf. LOL

I still have a number of tbr books to add as well as the gazillion (perhaps a slight exageration - how is that spelled?) others I've read and own. Ha ha. I'm looking forward to adding to my shelves especially the "baby" reads. :-)

Kathrynn | 883 comments Mod
I need to pull it off the shelf and re-read it. Can't remember much about that book for some reason. :-(

The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Pamela, those cute pictures you used to use for icons of that little sweety were priceless. :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Lynsey wrote: "Please, feel free to check it out, Danielle. I have so many more to add. I think I have maybe one or two that you have on your shelf. LOL

I still have a number of tbr books to add as well as th..."

I love your list, Lynsey. I checked it out earlier. :)

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Thanks, Danielle. Glad you liked it. My plan was to add some more tonight but I'm trying to finish Heartless by Diana Palmer and then it is off to sleep after that. :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments I read your review for Heartless. Very nice, Lynsey. :)

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Thanks, Danielle. I'm a bit new at reviewing books. It is fun. I think yours are wonderful.

I noticed you marked The Propostion to read. :-) That one is on my "baby" shelf. I don't know if you got that off my list but I wanted to let you know in case it bothers you (though can't imagine it would) that the hero is not the father. Sorry to give something away (although it is pretty obvious at the beginning of the book). I just wanted you to be aware. That bothers some people.

I just decided not to read it (you can see it is on that shelf) because the story didn't interest me as much as others I wanted to read and well, my tbr pile is huge and just keeps growing. :-) I kind of just flipped through the book but didn't really read it so didn't want to mark it as such. LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Oh, thanks, Lynsey. I appreciate the warning. I'll check into that one, because I kept thinking of the book by Judith Ivory when I hear that name. :)

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments No problem, Danielle. It's tough when there are multiple books with the same name. It's happened. There's the Heartless by Mary Balogh that you love and Diana Palmer's Heartless and so many more as we know. :-)

Mey Buentipo (mbuentipo) | 29 comments i read a pregnant heroin by julie garwood, from the clayborne brides series. but i still go for the heroin to be pregnant by the end.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments I like the heroine to be pregnant at the end of the book, or during.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Lynsey wrote: "No problem, Danielle. It's tough when there are multiple books with the same name. It's happened. There's the Heartless by Mary Balogh that you love and Diana Palmer's Heartless and so many more as..."

-Yeah, I know. Like I need an excuse to get confused. :)

Lindsey (ThisIsThatVeryMab) Has anyone read A Year and a Day by Virginia Henley? It is one of my all-time favorite "pregnancy" romances! The hero, Lynx, handfasts (for a year and a day) with the heroine, Jane, because she comes from a large family and he hopes that she will give him many children. The book revolves largely around her pregnancy and them falling in love. I highly recommend it!

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Lindsey,
Hi. Yes! I have read that one and it is great pregnancy book! I forgot all about that one. Oooh, now I am going to have to re-read it. Yeah, right! With my tbr pile ten miles high it might be awhile.
Lynsey

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments Lindsey and Lynsey, I need to check to see if I have A Year and a Day. Sounds very good.

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Oh, definitely pick up that one, Danielle. It is on my keeper shelf! If you can't find it you are welcome to borrow mine!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 486 comments You're so sweet, Lynsey. My book collection is crazy. I might have it buried somewhere. :)

Eastofoz | 901 comments Mod
I like the accidental pregnancy and the surprise pregnancy when the heroine didn't think she could get pregnant. I don't like a pregnant heroine and raunchy sex during pregnancy --just read an erotic historical like that Black Silk by Sharon Page, where the heroine was pretty much pregnant from the start. It just turned me off the character for some reason.

Black Silk (Hamilton Sisters #2) by Sharon Page

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Ah, thanks, Danielle. :) Yes, your collection does seem rather large! Good luck in your search!

Cristina (rystyn_4728) | 5 comments Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare

Nicholas Kenleigh... wow...:)

Slavena (Miolla) | 53 comments I recently finished Annie's Song by Catherine Anderson and it was great, I will check some of the other books you guys listed here but this one is one of my faves now

Noelle | 104 comments Slavena wrote: "I recently finished Annie's Song by Catherine Anderson and it was great, I will check some of the other books you guys listed here but this one is one of my faves now"

I really loved 'Annie's Song'. When I first read it, I had bought a new copy from B&N, got half way through the book, right up to the point where they were going to have sex for the first time.....and the very next page was from an entirely different book by a different author! I skimmed through the book and found that it did go back to Annie's Song but they already had a baby by then. B&N did exchange it for the full book but I havn't re-read it yet.

message 49: by Lynsey A (last edited Aug 04, 2010 03:56PM) (new)

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Noelle,
I feel your pain. I had something similar happen not with just one book but two. Except it wasn't another book but earlier pages from the same book. One I was reading in the middle of the night and had to put down because it skipped whole parts in the middle and then went back to the end of the story. Sucked!

ETA: Now, I only flip thru books and look at the page numbers before I buy it so it doesn't happen again. After the second time, at least. :)

Noelle | 104 comments I can't believe that happend to you TWICE! Unbelievable. I already check to make sure the book is written in the third person, I guess I'll also skim through to make sure all of the pages are there too.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heartless (other topics)
A Scandalous Marriage (other topics)
Gabriel's Bride (other topics)
Secret Fire (other topics)
Annie's Song (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Virginia Henley (other topics)
Lorraine Heath (other topics)