Comfort Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Chit Chat > Daily Chat

Comments (showing 101-150 of 14,070) (14070 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "Are a lot of you guys football fans? Just curious. "

I used to really enjoy watching football, but now I mostly start watching during playoffs or when there is a really interesting game, like Vikings vs. Green Bay this year. I grew up in Detroit, so I'm not a big Lions fan.

message 102: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine | 91 comments Lee wrote: "That's cute Peregrine. Imagine football being (almost) more important the the birth of his daughter! I hope they didn't name her after a football player. :-)"

Well, he was a lot younger then, lol. And they named her Leah :-)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 528 comments Jeannette wrote: "It is NFL (American football) playoffs season, to be followed by the Superbowl in February (same time the new Emma is on TV in the US).

The Ravens are the Baltimore Maryland team and they were sev..."

Yes, and they were shellacked by the Colts - who left Baltimore for Indianapolis literally in the middle of the night.

message 104: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 17, 2010 01:24PM) (new)

Jeannette wrote: "It is NFL (American football) playoffs season, to be followed by the Superbowl in February (same time the new Emma is on TV in the US).

The Ravens are the Baltimore Maryland team and they were sev..."

"severely beaten"...wow, harsh. I'm still wearing my Ravens purple today, poor dudes.

message 105: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "Are a lot of you guys football fans? Just curious. "

I am, it's really the only sport that I get nutty about.

message 106: by [deleted user] (new)

Susanna wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "It is NFL (American football) playoffs season, to be followed by the Superbowl in February (same time the new Emma is on TV in the US).

The Ravens are the Baltimore Maryland team..."

The Colts played in Indie! They earned home field advantage.

message 107: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "It is NFL (American football) playoffs season, to be followed by the Superbowl in February (same time the new Emma is on TV in the US).

The Ravens are the Baltimore Maryland te..."

I'm sorry, I was trying to find something a little more "nuanced". It was an interesting game and the Ravens D gave the Colts all the grief they could. Just too much bad luck and bad decisions (on the Ravens side) and a lot of desire and determination on the Colts side. The Colt's wide-receiver recovering that intercepted pass was amazing!

message 108: by [deleted user] (new)

Peregrine wrote: "Lee wrote: "That's cute Peregrine. Imagine football being (almost) more important the the birth of his daughter! I hope they didn't name her after a football player. :-)"

Well, he was a lot you..."

My daughter is named Lea! No football association whatsoever!

message 109: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine wrote: "Lee wrote: "Are a lot of you guys football fans? Just curious. "

I am, it's really the only sport that I get nutty about."

So, who will you root for now? I always like to cheer for the underdog, unless "my" team makes it through.

message 110: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm...the only teams that I can't root for ever are Green Bay (due to the Bears), the Steelers (due to the Ravens) and the Colts (also the Ravens). I think I'll cheer on the Vikings now.

message 111: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, that will make Green Bay doubly angry! xp

message 112: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine wrote: "Hmmm...the only teams that I can't root for ever are Green Bay (due to the Bears), the Steelers (due to the Ravens) and the Colts (also the Ravens). I think I'll cheer on the Vikings now."

I think I can safely say that the Cowboys were severely beaten by Green Bay. Favre looked like a kid again! :)

message 113: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 3959 comments Mod
Wow, I went out for a few hours and come back to football talk! I guess it's my fault for asking LOL! Eeeek!

message 114: by [deleted user] (new)

It's only for a few weeks! :)

message 115: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Jan 18, 2010 08:16AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 528 comments Actually I'm a much bigger fan of college football.

For me the big season starting nowabouts is college basketball.

ETA: About the Colts - yes, they play in Indianapolis, but they used to be the Baltimore Colts, and there are folks in Maryland who haven't forgiven the franchise for leaving town in the middle of the night!

message 116: by [deleted user] (new)

Duh! I had forgotten that! :)

message 117: by [deleted user] (new)

What is everyone doing today? The kids have off, but they have dentist and doctor...they aren't happy with me for scheduling it that way. I'm hopefully going to finish my book in the waiting rooms. ;)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 528 comments Smelling the boeuf bourignon cooking in the kitchen!

(We saw Julie and Julia last night, and got inspired.)

message 119: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Mondays around here are always sort of chill out days. We have so many activities on the weekend along with shopping and errands I'm usually pretty exhausted by Sunday night. I'm currently scouring my cookbooks looking for a good vegan banana muffin recipe. I may also do a little meal planning or at least get a few ideas of what to cook for the next few days. I love to try new dishes. I want to start another book but I'm already reading three! Maybe I should make it a New Year's resolution to finish what I start before beginning a new one.

message 120: by [deleted user] (new)

That's funny! I can never read more than one at a time...I admire the skill. :)

message 121: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 18, 2010 10:35AM) (new)

Lee, Are you the person that I saw who read The Wasted Vigil? (I'm pretty sure that's the title) Somebody got that on my radar, but I can't remember.

message 122: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Yes! I loved that book! It's beautiful and sad.

message 123: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine wrote: "That's funny! I can never read more than one at a time...I admire the skill. :)"

I'm working my way up to two at a time, but I don't enjoy it. I'm much better with just one book. I just need to read faster! lol

message 124: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 3850 comments Mod
I can read only one novel at a time, but I can read short story books and definitely can read multiple non-fiction books at the same time.

I'm often working on one novel and one or two non-fiction books at once.

message 125: by Hayes (last edited Jan 18, 2010 01:28PM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Paula wrote: "EDIT: I also don't consider time spent in bookstores, reading reviews, reading other readers' comments, staring blankly at shelves of books, etc. a waste of time (guilty on all counts). "

Oh, I don't do any of those things... Yea, right!! I hardly ever go into brick and mortar book stores; it's too dangerous. I have a hard enough time with BookMooch and BookCrossing where I imagine the smell of the books!!

My favorite thing about smoking is just possibly that at that moment when my future mother-in-law is just about to tip me over the edge, I can excuse myself to go outside :)

I might just have to take up the vice... ;-)

message 126: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Lee wrote: "...along with My Family and Other Animals. ."

I just bought this one because I loved it so much as a young(er) person... in a previous life, as it were. Enjoy!!

message 127: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

Hayes and Lee, I still have my mother's copy of My Family and Other Animals, the one I first read when I was about 12.

message 128: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "Yes! I loved that book! It's beautiful and sad."

Oh good! I just got a copy in the mail.

message 129: by [deleted user] (new)

Hayes wrote: "Paula wrote: "EDIT: I also don't consider time spent in bookstores, reading reviews, reading other readers' comments, staring blankly at shelves of books, etc. a waste of time (guilty on all counts..."

I stare at bookshelves. I even just stare at my bookshelves. My family thinks that I am headed for a breakdown when I do that, but I find it comforting.

message 130: by Hayes (last edited Jan 18, 2010 01:55PM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Christine: Maybe my self-sarcasm didn't show thru enough... I stare at bookshelves all the time. I find it comforting too. I let my eyes go out of focus a little and find the patterns of color and size that leap out at me, which more often than not leads me to the book I was looking for!

message 131: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

Christine wrote: "I knew that...I was shocked to find out that I wasn't the only one. :) "

Oh, I assume a hefty portion of Goodreads members. AND, it was how Goodreads was started by Otis!:

from the "about us" link - see the second paragraph:

a letter from our founder

When I was in second grade, I discovered the Hardy Boys series. Ever since, I've loved to read — both for fun and to improve my mind. And I'm always looking for the next great book. Reviews on Amazon and other sites are helpful, but I thought there might be a better way.

One afternoon while I was scanning a friend's bookshelf for my next great read, it struck me. When I want to know what books to read, I'd rather turn to a friend than any random person, bestseller list or algorithm. So I thought I'd build a website — a website where I could see my friends' bookshelves and learn about what they thought of all their books.

Goodreads is that site. It is a place where you can see what your friends are reading and vice versa. You can create "bookshelves" to organize what you've read (or want to read). You can comment on each other's reviews. And on this journey with your friends you can explore new territory, gather information, and expand your mind.

Knowledge is power; and power is best shared among friends.

— Otis Y. Chandler

message 132: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I must say, Otis had a genius idea. You gotta love that boy.

message 133: by Laura (new)

Laura | 294 comments that´s why I admire the whole work of GR team, there are really incredible!!

message 134: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Third book in a row that I put down after 50 pages... so I went with a Grafton mystery... Can't hardly go wrong there, can I?

message 135: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

Hayes wrote: "Third book in a row that I put down after 50 pages... so I went with a Grafton mystery... Can't hardly go wrong there, can I?"

Hayes, Which letter are you reading? Are you reading them in order?

message 136: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I hate having to dump a book. Thankfully it doesn't happen as often now that I've found GoodReads. I remember going to the library, coming home with 20 books and only having one or two decent reads in the bunch. Not anymore!!!

message 137: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 2763 comments Mod
It's even more annoying, if you cannot dump the book you're reading because it's been assigned (oh, and if it's a classic, even criticising the book might be problematic, especially if the tome happens to be the personal favourite of the professor or instructor -- this hasn't happened to me often, but it has occurred).

message 138: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (last edited Jan 19, 2010 02:46PM) (new)

Gundula, Or by the professor!!! I've been out of school for decades but I remember that happening too.

message 139: by Gundula (new)

Because, what's the use of analysing literature, if you are not allowed to voice unfavourable opinions if the work happens to be a classic ...

message 140: by Paula (new)

Paula | 184 comments Oh my goodness! I step away for a few days and what did I miss - football talk!! Agh! Guess what I was doing while I was away - that's right, watching football!

Yes, I'm a huge NFL fan, and a baseball fan,... and while in Ireland I became a soccer/football fan. I love sports, it's the only TV I can have on without going batty.

By the way - I got second place in my fantasy football league this year, beating fiance (third) and his best friend, who I knocked out of the playoffs :) (I have to brag this year because next year I could be in last place!).

Complete Green Bay Packers fan, by the way, but they got tromped on in the first playoff week. Now I'm rooting for anyone but the Vikings or the Jets. :)

message 141: by Paula (new)

Paula | 184 comments By the way, Peregrine, I love your story about the day your niece was born! =)

message 142: by Gundula (new)

Don't particularly like watching football, or most team sports. Funny story, when we first moved from Germany, I was all excited about playing "football" (well, I assumed that the former was soccer and was I ever surprised when someone threw this oblong ball at me and then mowed me over). I'll take a good clean (no fighting, or at least as little as possible) ice hockey game over football and baseball anytime, but while I was a real hockey fan in high school and college, watching sports simply does not interest me that much anymore (and there is too much cheating, fighting and what not going on).

message 143: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

What about the Olympics? I love watching the Olympics and this year it's in Vancouver! Yay!

message 144: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

Lee, I've been an Olympics junkie since I was a teen. And Vancouver is my favorite city. I'd be in heaven except I'm going to get even further behind with my reading!

message 145: by Hayes (last edited Jan 19, 2010 11:38PM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Lisa wrote: "Hayes wrote: "Third book in a row that I put down after 50 pages... so I went with a Grafton mystery... Can't hardly go wrong there, can I?"

Hayes, Which letter are you reading? Are you reading th..."

I'm at C... just discovered these and yes I'm reading in order. You?

I become a soccer/football fan once every four years, just for the "Mondiali", the world cup. First I root for the US until they get eliminated, then I root for Ireland (until they get eliminated) and then finally I root for Italy and usually have a 50% chance of cheering the winning team! Otherwise I refuse to watch soccer games... the son plays basketball fortunately!

message 146: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (new)

Hayes, A friend told me about them at about the time D or E was published, I think. I caught up quickly and I've read them all as they've been available. I read U this fall when it came out. They get really interesting at J/K, and the last several have been really excellent overall.

message 147: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) This is the best of all comfort reads for me... just predictable enough, not really gory, well (enough) written... I love mysteries!

message 148: by Lisa, Co-Mod Comfort Reader Extraordinaire (last edited Jan 20, 2010 12:43AM) (new)

I love mysteries too and I also like ones that aren't too gory, such as Sue Grafton's. I have several series I really like. I've given up on some because they're too violent or too disturbing, such as Patricia Cornwell's; I read many of her books and finally stopped.

message 149: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Know what you mean... if I want blood, gore and horror I read or watch the news! When I read I want mental exercise or mental relaxation.

message 150: by Laura (new)

Laura | 294 comments Hayes wrote: "This is the best of all comfort reads for me... just predictable enough, not really gory, well (enough) written... I love mysteries!"

I also love Crafton´s series, specially as Comfort reads...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Out Stealing Horses (other topics)
My Family and Other Animals (other topics)
Not Me (other topics)
Firefly Lane (other topics)
Clouds of Witness (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dorothy L. Sayers (other topics)
Sue Grafton (other topics)
Patricia Cornwell (other topics)
Alston Chase (other topics)
Anna Quindlen (other topics)
More...