Constant Reader discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Constant Reader > What are you reading?

Comments (showing 751-800 of 833) (833 new)    post a comment »

message 751: by Sherry, Doyenne (new)

Sherry | 6704 comments I need to see that Bleak House production. I loved the novel, although it was quite long. We read it on Classics Corner once, but I just noticed the discussion isn't archived. Shoot.

Hazel | 363 comments http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007z7jx

I enjoyed it, Sherry. It was great fun to watch in installments, similar, I imagine, to the original reading experience. I thought the actors were terrific, particularly Gillian Anderson.

Carol | 6765 comments I didn't like the book so I passed on the BBC series. Guess I will add that to my netflix queue.

message 754: by Sara (new)

Sara (Seracat) | 1571 comments I really enjoyed that adaptation and saw it long before I listened to the book last fall. I think it is my favorite Dickens so far, but it's difficult to choose, frankly.

Sara

Carrie (PhoenixChrystal) Just finishing up the last 10 pages of "Roots". Decided to pick it up shortly after reading "The Book of Negroes".
Thinking I'll read something light next like "Ravens of Avalon". Or, I'll go back to book 4 of the Gunslinger series by Stephen King... yes, I read multiple books at the same time.

Carrie (missfryer) | 11 comments Handle with Care
Really good, but really sad...typical Picoult!

Julie Horner | 13 comments Death Dance by Linda Fairstein

message 758: by [deleted user] (new)

De leraar (The teacher) by Bart Koubaa.

Marian (gramma) | 113 comments Independence Day by Richard Ford. I read The Sportswriter several years ago & enjoyed his writing style. About halfway thru.

message 760: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 8689 comments I loved Independence Day.

Mary Ellen | 1168 comments Marian, let us know your thoughts on Independence Day vs. The Sportswriter. I just read The Sportswriter a few months ago, and read ID years ago.

I just finished A Gate at the Stairs yesterday (looking forward to the discussion next month!) and am heading back to The View from Castle Rock.

message 762: by Jim (new)

Jim | 79 comments A FRACTION OF THE WHOLE by Steve Toltz

very funny and touching at the same time with good descriptions of two brothers relationship in modern day Austrailia

Dvora | 171 comments I started reading Oranges are not the Only Fruit but disliked it immensely so I put it in the giveaway pile and switched to Words in a French Life by Kristin Espinasse whose blog I follow. Although I find all the very short chapters (former blog posts, I suppose) a little annoying, overall I like the book. I get to pick up some French vocabulary and many of the vignettes are enjoyable.

message 764: by Ruth (last edited Mar 24, 2010 08:49AM) (new)

Ruth | 8689 comments I just finished reading Mark Doty's Dog Years for the second time. The first was as an audiobook. This time I enjoyed being able to stop and savor and read again all the tasty bits of purely wonderful writing.

message 765: by Carol (last edited Mar 24, 2010 09:33AM) (new)

Carol | 6765 comments Suppose to read The Eyre Affair for another group. Waiting for the library to come through. Last legs of "The Women" by TC Boyle. 10 pages to go.

message 766: by Sara (new)

Sara (Seracat) | 1571 comments Carol,

Absolutely loved The Eyre Affair, and all of the Thursday Next books. I love Boyle, although didn't think The Women was his best.

I'm devouring the latest Maisie Dobbs--wish I could read slower, but never do with the good ones. Although Winspear needs to read her stuff completely or have someone with an eagle eye do so. Tells the same info on someone a couple of times sometimes. Hate that!

Sara

Carol | 6765 comments Thanks for the input. I have not read any of Boyle's books. This was my first. Is there one you are especially fond of?

Barbara | 5081 comments I've listened to the first two Thursday Next books and, I think, all of the Maise Dobbs ones in audiobook productions. Love them.

message 769: by Sara (new)

Sara (Seracat) | 1571 comments Carol,

Boyle can be really, really bleak, and then really, really funny. Can't beat The Tortilla Curtain for bleakness, which doesn't make it any less great. Drop City is probably my favorite: very funny, great characters, and the perfect amount of wry.

Sara

Carol | 6765 comments Thanks.

message 771: by Sherry, Doyenne (new)

Sherry | 6704 comments I really liked Drop City, too. I haven't read The Tortilla Curtain, but it's on my wishlist as an audio download from my library (but so are at least 50 other books. Yikes!)

Wilhelmina | 856 comments I would recommend Drop City also.

Peter | 88 comments I'm reading Thomas Ligotti, a modern-day master of the disturbing, the horrific, the genuinally weird, and the heir apparent to Poe, Lovecraft, J.S. LeFanu, and Bram Stoker. Anyone looking for something you can really sink your teath in? I dare you to read Thomas Ligotti.

Sarah Hart | 705 comments I want to pop back in here to report that someone recommended Robert Goddard as a mystery writer. I have now read two of his (his first two, Past Caring and In Pale Battalions) and really enjoy his writing. I wouldn't characterize him as a traditional mystery writer, though. It's hard to say exactly what he writes--although there's a mystery component (more so in Past Caring than In Pale Battalions), the story, setting, and characters are significantly more prominent than the mystery. Usually, that's reversed with more traditional mystery writers. I don't know if this is characteristic of all his books, but both the ones I read were set in the past. The first one takes place in England and Madeira in the early 20th century and has England's politics as a major player. I don't know if I'd classify it as historical fiction, but "real people" do figure in the book. The second is played out with WWI as a backdrop. I look forward to reading more Goddard and thank whomever made the recommendation.

message 775: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm now reading a collection short stories by the Greenlandic writer Ole Korneliussen. There's not much Greenlandic literature, let alone in (Dutch) translation so this is my first book by a Greenlandic author. I'm also reading De godin van de jacht (Goddess of the hunt) by Dutch author Heleen van Royen. I didn't like it when I read it the first time and now even less, but I decided to use it for a paper. At least it's a fast read so I'm already over the halfway point.

Julie Horner | 13 comments The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) | 3817 comments I'm still plodding through The Swan Thieves. Kostova's pacing is all off on this one and everyone sounds exactly the same.

Carol | 6765 comments I didn't like The Historian much either. I could not connect with the characters. So I didn't even try The Swan Thieves.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) | 3817 comments I can't connect with the characters in The Swan Thieves, but I've read so much of the book that I'll go ahead and finish it. I have The Historian, too. I'll probably read it. I like the writing overall, but the pace of The Swan Thieves is maddeningly slow, and I do wish she'd learn to make the characters sound different from one another.

Badly Drawn Girl (Badlydrawngirl) | 132 comments I just finished Blue Angel: A Novel by Francine Prose and Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri.

I started The Mosquito Coast today.

I'm having a tough month. I have started SO many books this month that I haven't finished. I actually have ten books staring at me as I type that I haven't been motivated to finish. I'm in a bit of a slump. Thankfully Interperter of Maladies reminded me why I love the written word. It makes it all worth it when I can read something that well written and moving.

message 781: by Beej (new)

Beej | 923 comments BDG, we have a discussion around here somewhere of Blue Angel. Quite a book, isn't it?

message 782: by Beej (new)

Beej | 923 comments Oh my God, it was eight years ago! Good grief!

http://web.archive.org/web/2006110201...

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) | 3817 comments Badly Drawn Girl wrote: "I just finished Blue Angel: A Novel by Francine Prose and Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri.

I started The Mosquito Coast today.

I'm having a tough month. I h..."

Me, too, BDG. I start a book, then I don't feel compelled to finish it at all. I force myself through The Swan Thieves, though.

Carol | 6765 comments I haven't started anything yet. Just not in the mood. I have been watching movies or netflix tv, but that is another thread.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) | 3817 comments Carol (akittykat) wrote: "I did not think Bleak House was humorous. What did I miss?"

I missed something, too. I thought Bleak House was his least humorous book. I usually like Dickens. I like Bleak House, loved Great Expectations.

message 786: by Marjorie (last edited Mar 26, 2010 06:34AM) (new)

Marjorie Martin | 633 comments I'm reading a terrific nonfiction book,TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN; THE REBELS WHO BROUGHT CHURCHILL TO POWER AND HELPED SAVE ENGLAND by Lynne Olson.

It tells how young men of the wealthy ruling class at that time were educated at such "public" schools as Eaton, Harrow, etc. The main thing they were taught was how to conform and defer to authority, how important it was to abide by the correct social code of their social set. Those boys who had the most status and prestige were the ones who were the best at team sports. Those who were shy, intellectual, inquisitive, rebellious, not interested in sports (like Harold Macmillan, who later became PM) were ignored, scorned and even shuned. The book explains this so you understand how hard it was for the group of rebels to go against Neville Chamberlain and the Tory party line.

One of the rebels was Ronald Cartland, brother of the romance author, Barbara Cartland. He was not wealthy, and her book royalties financed his run for Parliament. She wrote 700 books in her lifetime! (of which I've not read one). I'm finding the book hard to put down.

Marge

message 787: by Sherry, Doyenne (new)

Sherry | 6704 comments That sounds wonderful, Marjorie. I should read more non-fiction.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) | 3817 comments I should read more non-fiction, too. As it is, I read almost none at all.

message 789: by Sara (new)

Sara (Seracat) | 1571 comments Finished the latest Maisie Dobbs, The Mapping of Love and Death, yesterday. Very good, although as usual, I find Maisie more compelling than her case. Big changes afoot in her life, especially at the end of the book!

Sara

Badly Drawn Girl (Badlydrawngirl) | 132 comments Beej wrote: "BDG, we have a discussion around here somewhere of Blue Angel. Quite a book, isn't it?"\

Thank you for the archive link! It was quite a book. Very thought provoking.

message 791: by Beej (new)

Beej | 923 comments You're welcome, BDG. It was a really good discussion.

message 792: by A.J. (new)

A.J. I'm just finishing up How Insensitive by Russell Smith.

message 793: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished the Greenlandic short stories (very good) and started reading Tell Me How Long the Train's Been Gone, my second Baldwin. I read Giovanni's Room last year with CR and was not only impressed by the story, but even more with his writing.

message 794: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Now I'm on to The She-Devil in the Mirror by Horacio Castellanos Moya, a Salvadoran writer now living in exile in the US.

I previously read his Dance with Snakes and liked it. His other novel in translation is Senselessness; I'm not sure if any of his other work has been translated.

message 795: by Jim (new)

Jim | 79 comments Marjorie wrote: "I'm reading a terrific nonfiction book,TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN; THE REBELS WHO BROUGHT CHURCHILL TO POWER AND HELPED SAVE ENGLAND by Lynne Olson.

It tells how young men of the wealthy ruling clas..."

Thanks for the info, I picked it up today at my library and am looking forward to reading this book

message 796: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished Little Bee yesterday and have started Elizabeth Costello by J.M. Coetzee.

Many thanks to the person that recommended Little Bee. Carol, was it you? My memory is shot. :)
It was terrific! A big thank you!

message 797: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments I think it was Shelia who initially recommended Little Bee - so many seem to have enjoyed it, perhaps someone should nominate it for the reading list later this year?

I am still working my way through Go Down, Moses. I'm also enjoying Reality Hunger: A Manifesto and Nine Stories. And I finished Krapp's Last Tape last night.

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 1428 comments threads such as this are daunting -- could we perhaps break this up into a thread begun on the first of each month instead of going on and on and on and on?

Just a thought. Or better yet just a thread on a book you have read and wish to discuss a bit. There are surely enough members around that any given title would have a few responses.

Marian (gramma) | 113 comments I finished "Independence Day". It was really good, even better than "the Sportswriter." Complete review is on the review page.

message 800: by Ruth (last edited Mar 27, 2010 05:54PM) (new)

Ruth | 8689 comments Or better yet just a thread on a book you have read and wish to discuss a bit. There are surely enough members around that any given title would have a few responses.

I agree, Dottie. Too many drive-by books. I'd really like it if people who have something to say about what they're reading/have read would start a separate thread for each book so those who'd like to talk about it a bit can join in.

I'd especially like it if those who post a review under the book, would paste it in on CR. Thats the only way those of us who are not official friends will see it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.