Constant Reader discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Constant Reader > What are you reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 833) (833 new)    post a comment »

Beth (beth_diiorio) | 19 comments Just finished Crazy Beautiful...a YA book whose main characters, coming from totally different backgrounds, are both strong enough to trust their gut instincts and do what is right. Also finished The Enthusiast A Novel, a book that is SO worth taking the time to read...not just for its hysterical "intellectual humor," but also for watching the main character learn from his life experiences. Now I'm reading Four Freedoms A Novel and enjoying it so far.

Summer I'm reading Shantaram. Picked it up in September on vacation and for some reason it didn't grab me right away. Now I'm enjoying getting to know the characters. Looking to obtain 2666 to join the group! Sounds interesting!

Anne | 149 comments Just finished CITY OF REFUGE by Tom Piazza (fabulous, painful) and am turning to nonfiction with THE FAMILY: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power by Jeff Sharlet.

Anne

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished Northanger Abbey. Austen makes some interesting plays on reading, writing and genreconventions. Still working on Dom Casmurro and will be starting 2666 later today or tomorrow. It looks very big and intimidating, but I have decided to try to see it as a series of five books rather than one book. Five books of only 200 pages each, why should I be intimidated by that?

Ruth | 8570 comments I just finished Lorrie Moore's A Gate at the Stairs. I hope I can remember enough when the discussion time rolls around. And Monica Ali's The Kitchen. Loved it. I'll post a review soon.

message 6: by Svetlana (last edited Jan 04, 2010 10:39AM) (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna | 4 comments I have just finished Lament The Faerie Queen's Deception [image error] and currently reading Shiver Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater. I also bought Beautiful Creatures [image error]. Recently finished few books in Russian, one by Vasily Aksenov
I am hopelessly in a YA fantasy stage and loving it!

Sarah (pythonette83) | 17 comments I'm currently reading China Witness by Xinran. These beautiful true stories of struggle, hardship, bravery and determination are inspirational. All credit goes to the authoress who overcame the restrictions on freedom of speech in the country to record them for us to read.

Suzanne | 304 comments I'm starting '2666'

Ruth | 8570 comments Suzanne wrote: "I'm starting '2666' "

Me too.

Suzanne | 304 comments Ruth wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I'm starting '2666' "

Me too."

:)

message 11: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments Ruth:

I'm curious what you thought of A Gate At the Stairs. I really enjoyed it but recommended it to someone who likes Moore and she didn't like it nearly as much.

Also, your high praise makes me curious about Monica Ali - I haven't read anything by her before, somehow in my mind I lumped her in with Zadie Smith - I couldn't get into White Teeth and so I have avoided both of them from then on - is this a mistake I should correct?

message 12: by Sheila (last edited Jan 04, 2010 10:34PM) (new)

Sheila | 710 comments Ruth, I couldn't cope with Zadie Smith either but Monica Ali is not in the samee mould. I quite enjoyed her Brick Lane, but that's the only one I've read.

For my part I've just finished a beautiful novella
The Hundred and Ninety-nine Steps by Michel Faber I know many folks at CR have liked his other books which I have yet to read but this was a great introduction to his writing. I liked it very much.

and am now reading The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy It is the first in his LA series of detective novels (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz)

message 13: by Beth (last edited Jan 05, 2010 04:30AM) (new)

Beth (beth_diiorio) | 19 comments For my part I've just finished a beautif..."

Sheila, thanks for sharing the title The 199 Steps...I've added it to my to-read list. I'm also waiting for Dom Casmurro and A Gate at the Stairs to come in at the library.

Ricki | 611 comments I'm nearly halfway through 2666 - confused at times but still going.

message 15: by Sherry, Doyenne (new)

Sherry | 6508 comments 2666 here, too. Less than halfway though.

Denise | 388 comments I'm also partway into 2666 and looking forward to the discussion.

Wilhelmina | 856 comments Sheila wrote: "Ruth, I couldn't cope with Zadie Smith either but Monica Ali is not in the samee mould. I quite enjoyed her Brick Lane, but that's the only one I've read.

For my part I've just finished a beautif..."

I was disappointed in Brick Lane: A Novel, but I'll probably try Ali again.

Carol | 6676 comments Right now I am reading Let The Great World Spin. Reminds me a bit of Joyce. I don't know if others found this to be true. I read The Gate At the Stairs
Here is my review.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Ruth | 8570 comments Wilhelmina wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Ruth, I couldn't cope with Zadie Smith either but Monica Ali is not in the samee mould. I quite enjoyed her Brick Lane, but that's the only one I've read.

For my part I've just fin..."

Brick Lane was just okay, for me. But I really liked Kitchen.

message 20: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments Thx everyone for the feedback on Monica Ali - I think I am going to give Kitchen a try at some point.

Ruth | 8570 comments I've got to write that review before I take the book back to the library!

Carol | 6676 comments I am curious about your take on the book. I know we don't want to say to much now ,as we will be reading it later in the year.

Ruth | 8570 comments carol (akittykat) wrote: "I am curious about your take on the book. I know we don't want to say to much now ,as we will be reading it later in the year."

I meant I've got to post on Kitchen. I'll save my comments on Gate at the Stairs for when we have our discussion.

Carol | 6676 comments I see. I looked on amazon, the theme of Kitchen seemed familiar. I know I did not read this book, but I read something like it. Do you think I can remember? No

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Jbunniii wrote: "I am about 80% of the way through I, Claudius, which I am enjoying so much that I will follow it up immediately with the sequel, Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina.

..."

Two of my favorite ever novels. I think I'm due for a re-re-re-read.

If you haven't seen the BBC series, please, do so. It follows the book action quite closely as I recall and is most enjoyable.

message 27: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments MAP:

I really enjoyed Christine Falls: A Novel but I did not like the follow up as much.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Al wrote: "MAP:

I really enjoyed Christine Falls: A Novel but I did not like the follow up as much."

I enjoyed both of them, in some ways the second, The Silver Swan: A Novel a little more, with the development of the relationships. I found I was a little confused at to some of the relationships at the end of Christine Falls. I'm hoping for more in the series.

message 29: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments He has a new one coming out in 2010 that looks really good

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Al wrote: "He has a new one coming out in 2010 that looks really good"

A Benjamin Black? I knew a Banville was coming, in fact I've already pre-ordered it, but Yays on a Black!

message 31: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments Elegy for April: A Novel - looks like it is due out in April (no surprise there) but I'm not sure if that is just the UK or what - keep your eyes peeled - the synopsis sounds excellent!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

:) Thanks Al, I just found it on Amazon, U.S. pre ordered. heh

Sheila | 710 comments I think I'll have to add kitchen to my list.

carol, the other Kitchen is Banana Yoshimoto's, it is probably fresh in your memory becasue I think it came up when we were discussing her short story Helix on the short story thread

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I have now finished the first book of 2666 and am looking forward to reading more. I'm beginning to like the idea of this book being so long, so much more to explore.

Beth (beth_diiorio) | 19 comments Just finished Four Freedoms: A Novel and enjoyed it. Initially, it was a bit technical but then I got very drawn into the characters and how they dealt with the domino effect of war. I've just started Little Boys Come from the Stars.

Philip | 1262 comments When looking for something to read while awake in the wee hours I have found little better than Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels. The other night I decided it was time to start a new voyage through the series with the first book, Master and Commander, published forty years ago.

I couldn't commit to the massive 2666 right now, even with all the space given it in our schedule, but it's good to know our discussion will be here to dip into if I ever manage to get around to reading it down the road.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished 2666. Eagerly awaiting Vol 1 of Your Face Tomorrow by Javier Marias so I can read all three volumes of the set. In the meantime, I'm puttering along with The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa -- a fascinating 'down' look at life.

Sarah Hart | 705 comments I just finished The Outlanders and The Heretic's Daughter, both of which I enjoyed. I'm halfway through Then We Came to the End. All of these were suggestions from my beloved CR folks. Happy New Year!

I tried Christine Falls last year and had trouble getting into it. I think it was just a timing thing, and I plan to try again.

Mary Ellen | 1127 comments MAP, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on And the Ladies of the Club - I read it about 15 years ago.

Just finished Dom Casmurro, and since, like Philip, I couldn't commit to 2666, am casting about for my next read.

Janet Leszl | 1163 comments 2666 isn't available on Kindle. Since my husband bought me one for Christmas, I figured I ought to read a few books on it before reading anything else.
Right now I'm reading Dear John; I'd been meaning to get around to that one for awhile.

Carol | 6676 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "MAP, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on And the Ladies of the Club - I read it about 15 years ago.

Just finished Dom Casmurro, and since, like Philip, I couldn't commit to 2666, am casting ..."

Me too I just read it late last year.

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 07, 2010 03:31PM) (new)

Richard Wright's Native Son

Ruth | 8570 comments It must be about 40 years since I read that, La-asia, but I remember its being one hell of a book.

Mary Anne | 1108 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "MAP, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on And the Ladies of the Club - I read it about 15 years ago.

Just finished Dom Casmurro, and since, like Philip, I couldn't commit to 2666, am casting ..."

Mary Ellen & Carol, I will let you know when I finish, and I'll post a thread for it. But I don't expect to finish very soon, given the length of this tome. I do a lot of reading on my commute to and from work, but this is one that's not practical for toting around.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Ruth wrote: "It must be about 40 years since I read that, La-asia, but I remember its being one hell of a book."

Yes, it is pretty deep! I'm enjoying it very much!

message 46: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments I'm a huge fan of Native Son too - although it has been ages since I've read it too - more like 25 years (vs. Ruth's 40)

Wilhelmina | 856 comments Al wrote: "I'm a huge fan of Native Son too - although it has been ages since I've read it too - more like 25 years (vs. Ruth's 40)"

And I found it so unbearable.

Carol | 6676 comments Picked up 2666 from library today. I will start tonight on it.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading 2666, slowly but surely. I haven't had much chance to read for the last several days.
That didn't stop us from stopping at the library earlier though.

Carol | 6676 comments I don't know how far I will get. I want to be able to hold an intelligent conversation about it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.