SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Group Reads Discussions 2010 > "The Fellowship..." First Impressions *no spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1639 comments This particular category almost seems silly, since most everyone in our group has surely read The Lord of the Rings; however, perhaps this can be a gut reaction before re-reading kind of thread.

Also, is there anyone who'd like to be our discussion leader?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Hollis | 24 comments Well I maybe the only one who hasn't read it! When I was a kid and it was being read it just didn't interest me and then I grew up and never got to it. Then the movies came out and I kept meaning to but never did.
Now I got the push I needed and found the 3 volumes in a really nice 70's edition that looks like never have been opened for 69 cents at Goodwill.

message 3: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1639 comments Sweet. I bet that's worth something.

message 4: by Tek (new)

Tek | 10 comments Overall I liked the Lord of the Rings books, and the Hobbit, but the Fellowship was my least favorite of the 4 by a mile. It's just really drawn out and I remember parts where I was dying for the pace to pick up. Granted Ive only read it once but thats what I remember.

message 5: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (BookHuntress) | 2 comments wow, I read this right before the movies came out and I remember liking it but truly it was a loooong time ago.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 257 comments I've been a Tolkien fan for about 40 years (I've sometimes been known to say that the only good thing that happened to me the year I was thirteen was discovering The Lord of the Rings), so it's been a long time ... but I do remember that when I finished LotR for the first time I thought I could never read anything else ever again, because nothing else could be as good. I did eventually ease up on that attitude, but I have read The Lord of the Rings an awful lot of times.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Hollis | 24 comments Brad wrote: "Sweet. I bet that's worth something."

Yeah you never know what you find at Goodwill. These editions the spines aren't even broke and the pages are still white.

message 8: by Brad (last edited Jan 03, 2010 06:35PM) (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1639 comments Paul wrote: "Yeah you never know what you find at Goodwill. These editions the spines aren't even broke and the pages are still white."

You shouldn't be reading those, Paul. Go buy a five dollar paperback somewhere and save those. White pages, no broken spines?! That's practically mint.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Hollis | 24 comments yeah, I know, I keep looking at them and am almost afraid to open them.

message 10: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1639 comments By the way...I decided to jump in as discussion leader. I found myself getting sucked in, so what the hell.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Hollis | 24 comments lol it can happen. Welcome fearless leader.

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile (blackrose13) | 1434 comments I just remember, when I read the Lord of the Rings the first (and only time), thinking that Tolkien needed an editor. But I liked Tom Bombadill... :>

message 13: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 89 comments Truly an epic novel.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sistrwmn) | 20 comments lol blackrose. I totally agree on both points. The Tom Bombadill scenes in the book could have easily added another half hour to the first film. Getting back on the reading horse now! Haven't read these in about 9 years.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (PenguinInSpace) | 2 comments These are books I've always wanted to read, however I've always gotten stuck on the first 50 or so pages of Fellowship. I think it was the entire Bilbo speech thing that got me (and bored me), but I've never found incentive to try again. Maybe I will try again now that I'm older, and have more patience.

message 16: by Roger (new)

Roger (RogerBixby) | 90 comments My sixteen year old son, who just became OBSESSED with reading last year, is reading 'Fellowship'. He has leave to dig through my library at will and found the nice hardback editions I've never cracked because I've never needed to, or wanted to, they are that nice, so I steered him to the old bantam paperback first editions I've had since I took them from MY parents oh these many years ago.

message 17: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (StacieH) blackrose wrote: "I just remember, when I read the Lord of the Rings the first (and only time), thinking that Tolkien needed an editor."

There is certainly a lot of... landscape... in the Fellowship of the Ring! I remember how frustrated I was the first (and second) time I read it; I've since developed an appreciation for the description... but I still think of it as the 'foot, grass, foot, grass' book ;)

message 18: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1639 comments Landscape is such a lovely (and diplomatic) way of putting it. And it is too.

message 19: by Richard (new)

Richard (ThinkingBlueCountingTwo) | 246 comments I first read this book in the very early 80's. I was a hardcore Arthur C. Clarke fan and would turn my nose up at anything as soft as Fantasy. But then a friend of mine told me that J.R.R. was a friend and admired colleague of my beloved Arthur, so I begrudgingly found a single volume edition of LOTR and gave it a go. I spent the rest of the week kicking myself for not having read it before then. Since then I seemed to read it every year until university and life got in the way.
I'm afraid to pick The Fellowship of the Ring up, as there is no way I could stop reading at the end of it, and how on Earth can I find time to read it all again.

message 20: by Ron (new)

Ron | 77 comments I first read LOTR in college, over forty years ago (and have read it every decade since). It was profoundly moving as, it seemed to me then, at one with the strife and struggle I saw in the world about me.

Retrospectively, Fellowship's opening does drag, but since I'd just read The Hobbit Tolkien's slow opening brought me gently back to Middle Earth before things got dark and dangerous (again).

I'm currently reading Tolkien's Unfinished Tales, which has some marvelous fragments in which Gandalf explains (after the War of the Ring) why he chose Bilbo and lined up the dwarfs for that first adventure.

message 21: by Lorenzo (last edited Jan 15, 2010 03:19AM) (new)

Lorenzo (Digitaloz) | 12 comments I remember when I first picked Fellowship up. A friend of mine recommended it and it was right before the movies came out. I have to say that it was hard for me to read it, but it was definitely worth it to get through.

message 22: by Flint (new)

Flint | 28 comments What I want to know is how do you prevent yourself from falling asleep while reading the first book?

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlyanne) | 11 comments Wow. I have read the series so many times, and I never once felt sleepy or bored. I love the landscape, the descriptions, the feel of Middle Earth. When I was a young mother I would take early evening walks right after the kids went to bed and think about the colors in the sunset and the fields around me and remember the walks as the hobbits walked to Tom Bombadil's and in the barrows. The descriptions drew me in to the world that Tolkien had created so thoroughly that I could see it.

As I have gotten older I find I am less patient of a reader - I want my author's to get to the point, keep the story moving, give me tons of action. But when I sit down to re-read LOTR it seems like I just relax into all the words. Pretty amazing. I guess I am glad I read it first when I was young.

I think I am going to take a trip to Goodwill this week.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fellowship of the Ring (other topics)