Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell > Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel - Who's In?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Odette | 241 comments Mod
I have a copy of this book, so I can start right away on it.

Tiffany (baobhansidhe) | 50 comments Mod
I have a copy, also, which is good, because I promised myself I would only read books I already own this year. We'll see how well I do with that. ;)

But cool, I've not read this yet!

Kay (cobwebs) | 56 comments Baobhan, I'm trying to do that as well, but the library tempts me so much. I have too many unread books at home.

I own this one though, and will try to start it soon!

Emilie | 69 comments i am expecting to get my copy by friday. that's cool that you all have this book! (smiles)

Ramona | 71 comments Regretfully, I'll have to pass on this one. I started reading it about a year ago but gave up due to its length. It's impressive though and an astounding work. I'll look forward to reading your comments at month's end.

Alisa I have an ARC that's been sitting on my bookshelf for years. I admit, I've been daunted by its size, but this will give me an excuse to take the plunge.

Tiffany (baobhansidhe) | 50 comments Mod
Baobhan, I'm trying to do that as well, but the library tempts me so much.

I hear you. Libraries and used book stores are my downfall. There's a used book store near my apartment that holds bag sales once a month. They allow you to fill an entire paper bag full of books for $14 or so. Dangerous, that.

I think I'm going to start on Jonathan Strange tonight, even though I'm reading quite a few things right now. It is a biggy. And remember, for anyone daunted by its size, the discussion thread will be open indefinitely. :)

My special vices are the Daedalus books catalog & book sales at the indi bookstore near me. I'm unemployed at the moment, so my ban on buying books is iron-clad until I have a salary again, but I've been lucky enough to be around good public library systems my whole life. God bless public libraries!!

Michelle (fireweaver) | 60 comments i read this book a few years ago, and liked but did not love it, so i'm not planning on a re-read right now. it takes a very long time to get off the ground, but that leisurely pace is part of its charm...if you find such things charming. Ramona, don't feel bad about not finishing it, it is mightily dense!

Pamela Lloyd (PamelaDLloyd) | 45 comments I read this a couple of years ago, also. I enjoyed the quirky take on Faerie, which feels very much in keeping with some of the older fairytale. If I can find my copy, I may try to reread it. Not sure if it'll fit into my schedule, though.

Emilie | 69 comments i just read an interesting interview with Susanna Clarke. in it, she says that her 5 favorite authors are: Jane Austen, Alan Moore, Charles Dickens, Neil Gaiman, and Joss Whedon.

when asked how long it took her to write Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell she replies, "It took rather more then ten years, which is a crazy amount of time to spend on anything-except building a cathedral, growing a garden, or educating a child."

when asked if she could require just one book for everyone to read, she responds,"I don't believe in a canon. I don't believe in prescribing books for people. ...Find the books that feed your inner life, excite you, and make you dream."
i like that!

full interview at:
http://www.jonathanstrange.com/copy.a...

Ramona | 71 comments Thank you for the post on Susanna Clarke, Emilie. This looks like a fun interview. Fans, don't overlook her (much) shorter tome, The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories, especially if, like me, you don't have time this month to read JS&MN.

Just noticed that there's a reading guide for the book at the website Emilie shared:
http://www.bloomsbury.com/ReadingGrou...

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Susanna Clarke (other topics)
Charles Dickens (other topics)
Joss Whedon (other topics)
Jane Austen (other topics)
Alan Moore (other topics)
More...