Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Welcome to Koontzland! > What Koontz books do you own ?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 401) (401 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Maciek (last edited Oct 25, 2010 06:20AM) (new)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments So guys and girls, what Dean Koontz books do you have on your bookshelves ?
Here's my collection, constantly updated:

1.Odd Thomas
2.Forever Odd
3.Brother Odd
4.The Good Guy
5.Watchers
6.Dark Rivers of the Heart
7.The Taking
8.The Vision
9.The Door to December
10.Mr. Murder (Hardcover & Paperback)
11.Strange Highways (Hardcover & Paperback)
12.The Bad Place (Hardcover & Paperback)
13.The House of Thunder
14.Dragon Tears (Hardcover & Paperback)
15.Strangers
16.From the Corner of his Eye
17.The Eyes of Darkness
18.By The Light of the Moon
19.Winter Moon (Hardcover & Paperback)
20.Intensity (Hardcover & Paperback)
21.The Key to Midnight
22.Fear Nothing (Hardcover & Paperback)
23.Seize The Night (Hardcover & Paperback)
24.Odd Hours
25.Lightning (Hardcover & Paperback)
26.Sole Survivor
27.Shattered
28.The Face (Hardcover & Paperback)
29.Tick Tock
30.The Voice of The Night (Hardcover & Paperback)
31.False Memory
32.One Door Away from Heaven
33.Shadowfires
34.Demon Seed
35.The Servants of Twilight
36.Midnight
37.The Husband
38.Life Expectancy
39.The Darkest Evening of The Year
40.The Mask
41.Night Chills
42.Hideaway
43.Darkness Comes (Darkfall) (Hardcover & Paperback)
44.Cold Fire
45.Relentless
46.Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
47.Twilight Eyes
48.Frankenstein: City of Night
49.Frankenstein: Dead and Alive
50.Icebound
51.The Face of Fear
52.Phantoms
53.Whispers
54.Velocity
55.The Funhouse

Matt R. (matt2009) | 199 comments I created a bookshelf titled "books-i-own". So far the Dean Koontz books I own are:

Starblood
The Dark Symphony
The Taking
Cold Fire
Brother Odd
Forever Odd
The Husband
Velocity
The Darkest Evening of the Year
The Good Guy
Night Chills
Intensity
Mr. Murder
Lightning
The Funhouse
Icebound
Demon Seed
Winter Moon
The Vision

...and more in the near future

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments I added two books, because I forgot that I had them !
Matt, your collection looks great. I see that you have two rare out of print titles. That's great :)

message 4: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Apr 23, 2010 06:57PM) (new)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 4179 comments Mod
I have 3 hardcover Omnibus books of Dean Koontz besides my other Koontz books :-( no rare titles on my bookshelf.

Demon Seed (omnibus)
Shattered (omnibus)
Whispers (omnibus)
The Servants of Twilight (omnibus)
The Eyes of Darkness (omnibus)
Darkfall (omnibus)
Phantoms (omnibus)
The Voice of the Night(hardcover)
The House of Thunder (paperback)
Watchers (paperback and omnibus)
The Bad Place (omnibus)
Cold Fire (hardcover)
Dark Rivers of the Heart (hardcover)
Intensity (paperback)
From The Corner of His Eye (hardcover)
One Door Away From Heaven (hardcover)
By The Light of the Moon (hardcover - LP)
Life Expectancy (hardcover)
The Husband (hardcover)
Odd Thomas (paperback)
Odd Hours (paperback)

:-) I used to have more but I had to downsize - I've only recently started picking up used copies again at book sales.

message 5: by Matt R. (last edited Jan 02, 2010 11:57AM) (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 199 comments Yes, I actually found Starblood and The Dark Symphony on the FREE shelf at a library. I was very excited to find them! I can't wait to read all the books.

message 6: by Lori (last edited Jan 03, 2010 12:04PM) (new)

Lori (Barfield) I just went and counted the ones I have in a book case, and I counted 53 books. We moved 2 years ago from a 6 bedroom 2 story house, to 2 bedroom 1 story house. I have a lot more books in storage, but i'm not sure what they all are. I know i'm missing a whole lot of my Stephen Kings, all of my fantasy, all of my romance, and i'm more then sure some are Dean Koontz's as well. I'm going to make someones life hell if he doesn't go get my books sometime this week!

I gave away 5 DK books at christmas. We played Secret Santa & i had those 5 in double so I gave them to someone else to enjoy.

message 7: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Lori, you are one crazy book collector :-)

Lori (Barfield) I just can't bare to part with them. We go yard saleing during the season,& I tend to forget which ones I have so I pick up DK & SK from $2.00 To .25 cents. That's how I had 5 to give away in SS. Matt is starting a book swap so, if he still is when spring gets here, and i'm still pumping air i'll make it a point to try and find books that our DK's members may not have. When and if I find something i'll post it. OK with you?

Matt R. (matt2009) | 199 comments Sounds good Lori. Goodreads has setup a bookswap option for all members to post books they want to swap. I figured I would start a thread here for DK specific titles, especially since some of our members may not have access to some older titles.

Lori (Barfield) The yard saleing season doesn't start till mid March or so, but i'll keep an eye out for any&all books by DK. As it starts getting closer people can post some of what they can't find & if someone finds it we can mark it off the list. I'm supposed to get to go to the fleemarket this Saturday, (good lord willing and the creek don't rise) so i'll start looking there. That is if we have any titles for me to look for. I guess put all titles in the swap thread? If that's all right with Matt.

message 11: by Matt R. (last edited Jan 05, 2010 11:44AM) (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 199 comments Sure, the swap thread would be a good place for people to make posts when they have books to swap if they would like to participate or cannot find certain books. The good thing is that many DK books are widely available in the US (what about Europe?) in the new and used markets (some of the out of print books and pen name novels are tougher). I probably won’t swap much because I plan to keep all my DK books (just trying to get a copy of each novel over time). If I come across any more duplicates, I will post but my collection is pretty well organized at this point.

Lori (Barfield) I'm with you on that Matt. I'll not be swapping my own books, like i said i have 53 just Koontz, not counting my SK, or my other books. But if i come across a good deal i'm going to pick them up for the group. Trade one i have for something i don't have. I'm going to print out a list of his books, (DK) and hope to get started Saturday. They say we may get snow this weekend, and North Carolina where i live stops everything if it snows. LOL

message 13: by Jason (last edited Feb 11, 2013 01:26PM) (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments All of the following are unabridged audio files (except where noted), where an asterisk indicates that I have not yet read/listened to it:

1. Black River
2. Breathless
3. Brother Odd
4. By the Light of the Moon
5. Cold Fire
6. Darkfall
7. Darkness Under the Sun (ebook)
8. Dark Rivers of the Heart
9. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
10. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: City of Night
11. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Dead and Alive
12. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Lost Souls
13. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: The Dead Town
14. Demon Seed
15. Dragon Tears
16. False Memory
17. Fear Nothing
18. Forever Odd
19. From the Corner of His Eye
20. Hideaway
21. Icebound
22. Intensity
23. Life Expectancy
24. Lightning
25. Midnight
26. Mr. Murder
27. Night Chills (paperback)
28. Odd Apocalypse
29. Odd Hours
30. Odd Interlude
31. Odd Thomas
32. One Door Away from Heaven
33. Phantoms
34. Relentless
35. Seize the Night
36. Shadow Fires
37. Shattered (paperback)
38. Sole Survivor
39. Strangers
40. Strange Highways (paperback)
41. The Bad Place
42. The Darkest Evening of the Year
43. The Door to December
44. The Eyes of Darkness
45. The Face
46. The Face of Fear (paperback)
47. The Funhouse (paperback)
48. The Good Guy
49. The House of Thunder
50. The Husband
51. The Key to Midnight
52. The Mask
53. The Moonlit Mind (ebook and audiobook)
54. The Servants of Twilight (paperback)
55. The Taking
56. The Vision
57. The Voice of the Night
58. Ticktock
59. Twilight Eyes
60. Velocity
61. Watchers
62. What the Night Knows
63. Whispers
64. Winter Moon
65. Your Heart Belongs to Me
66. 77 Shadow Street

message 14: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason, My recommendations from the list that you haven't listened to are: Cold Fire, Lightning, and The Bad Place. You gotta give those a try :-)

message 15: by Jason (last edited Jan 17, 2010 08:00PM) (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Dustin wrote: "Jason, My recommendations from the list that you haven't listened to are: Cold Fire, Lightning, and The Bad Place. You gotta give those a try :-)"

Yes, I figure I will get to them in the next couple months. Thanks for the advice, as I value yours highly. :-)

message 16: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Well, it's just my opinion for what it's worth :-) Always happy to hear that my opinions are doing someone some good :-)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments By the way, Maciek, why did you put a space before the question mark in the title of this thread and at least one other thread you created? I am just curious, as my girlfriend from China does the same thing. Also, is Maciek your real name?

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments Yup, it's my real name. Actually I don't know why I do this - must be a habit of mine.

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Maciek wrote: "Yup, it's my real name. Actually I don't know why I do this - must be a habit of mine."

Is your name pronounced mass-eek? The space before punctuation seems to be a trend among nonnative speakers of English. My OCD causes it to annoy me when I see it, but I can live with it. :-)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments The pronounciation is quite accurate. I agree about the space trend - although in my native language there is no space before punctuation, so I don't know why I do this. I guess because it looks nice.

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Maciek wrote: "I agree about the space trend - although in my native language there is no space before punctuation, so I don't know why I do this. I guess because it looks nice."

There isn't a space before punctuation in Chinese either, but she still manages to fit one in for English sometimes. :-) She also sometimes omits a space after punctuation, which is something I have not seen you do.

Lori (Barfield) Some one needs to kick my ass! I went this weekend to Winston Salem, to the flea market, and my book man is gone. So I went to Greensboro to the used book store, and picked up 7 books I didn't have by Brian Lumley, Ray Garton, both of these new to me, along with Clive Barker, and 2 Stephen King. My cheepest was 1.50, and the highest was 4.00. They had at least 7 cubby holes of DK's each cubby holding 6 rows of books. Took me a long time to go thur all of them, and they had 1 copy of The Vision, I thought I had that one. Turns out I didn't, and I didn't buy it either. Damn i'm kicking my own ass. Now i've got to go all the way back there, and hope it's still there.

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Lori wrote: " Some one needs to kick my ass! I went this weekend to Winston Salem, to the flea market, and my book man is gone. So I went to Greensboro to the used book store, and picked up 7 books I didn't hav..."

Is it a long drive to Greensboro for you?

Lori (Barfield) Well it depends on traffic. It takes about an hour and a half to get to WS, in good traffic. And to get to Greensboro about .45 minutes in good traffic. If I go during rush hour you can easily add .30 more minutes. Both ways. But it's not a bad drive, interstate all the way. And that's doing the speed limit, which is 65.

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Lori wrote: " Well it depends on traffic. And to get to Greensboro about .45 minutes in good traffic. If I go during rush hour you can easily add..."

Yes, that's exactly what my commute to college used to take back in Ohio, when driving to Columbus from about 45 miles (~100 kilometers, for our European friends here) east along I-70, which I drove pretty much daily for 4 years.

Lori (Barfield) Jason where did you live at in Ohio? And that's not where your from right?

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Lori wrote: " Jason where did you live at in Ohio? And that's not where your from right?"

It is. I was born and raised in central Ohio, mostly either 45 miles east of Columbus in a small town called Thornville or 40 miles southeast of Columbus in a town called Lancaster.

Lori (Barfield) I moved to Ohio once, to a small town called Pataskala. They were a dry county, had to go to Columbus to get beer. Seems to me it only took about 15 or 20 minutes to get there. But no offense to you but I HATED that place. 95% white, 90% redneck white trash. It seemed everyone I met couldn't read or write. Now i'll be the frist to admit i'm not the brightest crayon in the box, I didn't even finish high school.(I went and got my GED) But those people made me think of West Virginia. Needless to say I came home. I like calling North Carolina home.

Please don't hold it against me! But that place was scary. And no OFFENSE to you or anyone else.

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Lori wrote: " I moved to Ohio once, to a small town called Pataskala. They were a dry county, had to go to Columbus to get beer. Seems to me it only took about 15 or 20 minutes to get there. But no offense to y..."

No offense taken. Many places in rural Ohio are still like that, but that must have been a while ago, because Pataskala has basically merged with Columbus geographically. I drove just south of Pataskala all the time on I-70. Thornville is about a 20-25-minute drive from Thornville, which is right off (south) of I-70, on State Route 13, which goes north to Newark. I don't think there is such a thing as a "dry county" in Ohio now, unfortunately. I cannot really compare it to WV, as I have never been there. I grew up in a relatively low-hick-population area, as far as Ohio terms go. My great aunt I compared you to in another thread, along with my grandmother, are both from Kentucky and never graduated from high school either, but I don't think they even bothered to ever get their GED. :-/ I am a first-generation college graduate (and soon-to-be graduate school graduate), as my mother, who raised me as a single-parent, never completed college--she was also born in Kentucky, but came to Ohio as an infant.

Lori (Barfield) That is truly awesome Jason. Congratulations!!! To be the first in your family to do all that you have. My youngest daughter went to college. She graduated from Criminal Justice. I don't have a clue when she'll use it, but it's not right now. I'm still proud of her, even though i'm an embarrassment to her at times. She's our first in my family. I have a nephew who could have wrote his own ticket to any school he wanted, but joined the Airforce, pulled that tour of duty, and signed up for the Army. He's overseas now. Proud of him as well.

Yeah I went in maybe 95 I think. Caught my husband in a motel with one of the illierates. We had a car chase, he wrecked his car. I held mine to the road, but I stopped when he flipped, he rolled 3 times. The whole drivers side was flat. He should have died, but you know the old saying about drunks don't ya. He wasn't in his seat belt, got thrown in the passenger floorboard. The cop (and believe me i'm not exaggerating there were at least 20cop cars out there) ask me was I one of the cars they got a call on for going 90 to 120 MPH thur town,and out in the country. Of course I said no. My daddy didn't raise no fool. OMG the trouble he got in. They could only give me a ticket for driving with no license because I hadn't changed them to Ohio yet. They didn't catch me doing anything else, him the skid marks said it all. I was waiting to go to court for my ticket when my dad called. He ask was I planing on staying in Ohio after court, I said NO. He then said then get your ass in your car and come home. I did just that. Packed my car( they had my NC licenses)drove the speed limit, came home, and the next day got a new NC license. Told them I lost mine(which I did) payed 10.00 bucks for a new one. And never looked back. Now he's an ex. Sorry the story just popped out. But I swear every word is ture.

As for West Virginia i've been there. You haven't missed anything. You know the movie Wrong Turn? (I love that movie) That's WV. A bunch of inbred, illierate, people. If you ever stop there make it close to the interstate, and don't stay long.

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Lori wrote: " That is truly awesome Jason. Congratulations!!! To be the first in your family to do all that you have. My youngest daughter went to college. She graduated from Criminal Justice. I don't have a cl..."

Thanks, Lori. That story you just told made you seem even more like my great aunt Kerry. :-D I have seen Wrong Turn (and Wrong Turn 2). Thanks for the advice. I was planning to take my mother and grandmother to Oglebay, WV around Christmas this year to see the lights--is that area okay?

Matt R. (matt2009) | 199 comments Lori wrote: " Some one needs to kick my ass! I went this weekend to Winston Salem, to the flea market, and my book man is gone. So I went to Greensboro to the used book store, and picked up 7 books I didn't hav..."

I know, a list would come in handy for times like that. From what I hear, Garton writes some decent horror...Lumley as well.

Lori (Barfield) Baby boy all the NC people I know just stay away from all of WV. I'm sure there's parts of WV that are good. But, I'm not kidding about this, if it looks like Wrong Turn (I didn't know there were more WT movies) or The Hills Have Eyes scenery go the other way. I can't remember where I was in WV, but it looked like that to me, and that's before I had WT as a reference, I was a lot younger and with my dad. My dad was a bootlegger. He didn't go anywhere back in the day without some kind of gun. So I didn't worry much when I was with him. One time he took us (there's 3 of us) to some place where they had a tree in the bathroom, in the tub. The toilet didn't have that look of being used in quite a while, it was black. All the kids had the same name,and no shoes on. Looked pretty dirty too. When I got home I prayed that night for them,& to being glad I had what I did. Not by no means did we have it great, but it was by far so much more then those kids had. So you see i'm basing my perception of WV from the eyes of the kid I used to be, and stories from other people. But as the saying goes "I haven't lost anything in WV that I need to go get."

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Lori wrote: " Baby boy all the NC people I know just stay away from all of WV. I'm sure there's parts of WV that are good. But, I'm not kidding about this, if it looks like Wrong Turn (I didn't know there were ..."

Okay, thanks. :-)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments Lori, your stories are so interesting. You should write them down and publish as memoirs.

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments Besides, guys what about your collections ? I'm always interested in other people's bookshelves.

message 37: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Maciek wrote: "Lori, your stories are so interesting. You should write them down and publish as memoirs."

Lori, you should write stories and put them on your goodreads profile under "Lori's Writing". I'm gonna start posting writing on my profile page sometime relatively soon - we'll see how it goes :-)

Angie | 13 comments hello all!
I collect Koontz books. right now i have about 70+ books. some of which are doubles (two books, one under koontz, the other under his pen name).

Matt R. (matt2009) | 199 comments Nice collection, Angie. I like that you have both Koontz and pen name books. I hope to collect all his titles over time as well.

Angie | 13 comments Matt-

thank you! I have been reading his books since about 5th or 6th grade.. and it was, id say about high school that i started collecting. (im 28 now, so its been a few years lol)

as for collecting...ebay!!! i have found a ton of books that i cant find anywhere else!! you gotta be carefull of course (boyfriend purchased a "signed" copy of the mask for me for christmas, it was bogus!-you gotta watch though)

have fun collecting!!

message 41: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Angie wrote: "you gotta be careful of course (boyfriend purchased a "signed" copy of the mask for me for Christmas, it was bogus!-you gotta watch though) ."

That is really a sad Christmas story :-(

Angie | 13 comments Well, he ended up getting me relentless, so its still a good christmas story!! its the thought that counts!! (and he was able to return the book and get a refund!!)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1298 comments Angie wrote: "Well, he ended up getting me relentless, so its still a good christmas story!! its the thought that counts!! (and he was able to return the book and get a refund!!)"

Now, Relentless would be a good Christmas (or, rather, "Koontzmas") gift! :-D

Matt R. (matt2009) | 199 comments Yes, eBay does have a ton of bogus autographs. The book selection is very good. I'll stick with Dean's website to purchase a signed copy.

Angie | 13 comments Matt-

Ya, thats what i figure too... i have also read of some people mailing books to dean and him signing them himself... (something to think about for next christmas lol)

and.. on another note... above i said i had 70+ books... turns out that was bogus. I did a little inventory (my book shelf was getting too full so i put all the books in a tote for now) and turns out i only have 65 books. well, 66 because i just won a new one on ebay (ebay is going to be the death of me!!)

but i do have 2 duplicates- one of which the pages are falling out (Frankenstein - first book)and Dragon Tears - which i would throw into the book swap if anyone wanted it...

Lynai My own-dean-koontz shelf: (Not much I know)
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments My collection has grown ! I recently acuired

-By The Light of the Moon
-Winter Moon (Hardcover)
-Intensity (thanks Lori !)

I now own 20 DK books. Post your collections guys, this is a great topic.

Sabrah | 3 comments I tend to get paperbacks, and after reading them pass them on, but I do have one first edition of Intensity which I bought at a charity auction with a letter from Dean Koontz and the book is autographed. It is one of my most prized possessions. I think in the course of twenty plus years I have read every book he has written and I just finished Relentless.

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments I bought a paperback of "The Key to Midnight" - my 21 DK book.

message 50: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Angie wrote: "i have also read of some people mailing books to dean and him signing them himself... (something to think about for next christmas lol) "

He doesn't do this anymore. Here is a Q &A related to book signing from his Most Frequently Asked Questions pamphlet (2008):

Is it okay for collectors to send your books to you for signing?

Sorry. no. Until recently, we accepted books for signing, but unfortunately we can no longer do so. Readers began to send them in such quantity that we would have needed to hire a full-time employee just to unpack them, repack them, and trundle them from and to the post office - a tedious job that no doubt would have driven said employee totally insane within a week, resulting in some unpleasant application of a chainsaw and headlines in the National Enquirer. Furthermore, I would have had to set aside one full 8- or 10-hour day each week just to inscribe books.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dragon Tears (other topics)
The House of Thunder (other topics)
Winter Moon (other topics)
Intensity (other topics)
Prodigal Son (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dean Koontz (other topics)