Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Doug's books for 2010

Comments (showing 13-62)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 62: by Mara (new)

Mara | 209 comments Doug wrote: "50 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. I did it!!"

Yay! With time to spare. :-D

message 61: by Doug (last edited Dec 18, 2010 01:06AM) (new)

message 60: by Doug (new)

message 52: by Doug (new)

message 51: by Doug (new)

Doug Lindsey wrote: "Doug wrote: "40 - On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony"

One of my FAVORITE series of all times!! Are you just starting or is the a re-read?"

Just starting it. My wife speaks highly of it and I'm looking forward to continuing it.

message 50: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 323 comments Doug wrote: "40 - On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony"

One of my FAVORITE series of all times!! Are you just starting or is the a re-read?

message 46: by Doug (new)

message 42: by Carol (last edited Aug 17, 2010 07:11AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments I don't, as a rule, like to read about 'war' stories, but in this case I would make an exception because of the man himself. This book was written in 1949, and the following movie came on the scene when I was young myself, in 1955. The fact that it was a true story, portrayed by a non-actor who was in fact the actual hero of the story and very young (and very decorated - his 'fruit salad' was very impresssive in the book jacket photo) not to mention diminutive and slightly built...in other words an improbable-looking hero, is attractive to me. I love to root for the underdog. (It reminds me of the Australian poem 'The Man From Snowy River' by Banjo Patterson).

I didn't realize that he died at the age of 40 until I read it in one of the reviews on the book's review thread.
Actually, it was at age 45 according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Mu...

This article gives a bit more personal background...and as an addition as to why I might want to read this book, it's just that the man seems to be a good role model, someone to look up to for strength of character.

message 41: by Doug (new)

Doug Carol wrote: "How did you like it, were you glad or disappointed in his choice?"

I enjoyed it quite a bit. After a disconcerting beginning, in which you are just plopped into an unfolding chapter of the war, with characters you're unfamiliar with, it begins to set itself apart. It reads almost like a journal. You're not quite sure of the plot or the objective, but then you start to realize that Audie Murphy, himself, is the plot. His interactions with his fellow servicemen, be it with humor, grief or horror are what's important. I found myself laughing at times, while other's had me near to tears.

If you enjoy war stories, especially the ramifications toward the human spirit because of war, then you will like this book. Give it a read.

message 40: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments How did you like it, were you glad or disappointed in his choice?

message 39: by Doug (new)

Doug Carol wrote: "Doug, what made you pick 'To Hell and Back' to read?"

Book club suggestion from my brother.

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Doug, what made you pick 'To Hell and Back' to read?

message 36: by Doug (new)

message 35: by Doug (new)

message 30: by Doug (new)

message 28: by Doug (new)

message 23: by Doug (last edited May 18, 2010 10:22PM) (new)

message 19: by Doug (new)

Doug Mara wrote: "Doug wrote: "14 - The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett"

Aww, we match--tender moment.

Haha--horrible, I know. What are sisters for. ;-)"

But now I've passed you again. Bwahaha!

message 17: by Mara (new)

Mara | 209 comments Doug wrote: "14 - The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett"

Aww, we match--tender moment.

Haha--horrible, I know. What are sisters for. ;-)

message 15: by Doug (new)

message 13: by Doug (new)

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Golden City (other topics)
Warbreaker (other topics)
The Opal Deception (other topics)
Icebound (other topics)
The Lost Colony (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic