Victorians! discussion

Nominations > Feb/Mar Victorian Book Nominations

Comments (showing 1-50 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Yay! It's time for the first nomination period of 2010!!! This is for our next true Victorian book group read: Feb-March.

Please read this carefully:

1) The book must be published between 1837-1901

2) All nationalities welcome

3) Please only ONE nomination per person (if more than one is suggested I will take the first suggestion only)

4) Feel free to add a link to the book, or an excerpt, to spark some interest and help "sell" your nomination

5) Nominations will close on 5th January and voting will then begin

6) Have fun and happy nominating!!

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 243 comments Peregrine wrote: "I nominate Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope."

Good one! I just finished it, and it's a winner.

I nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Ann Bronte.

message 4: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 01, 2010 09:36AM) (new)

Rebecca The Law and the Lady - Wilkie Collins

Valeria Woodville is one of English literature's earliest women detectives -- that makes the novel historically remarkable. But it's also a great fun mystery, full of plot and circumstance, and a rogue's gallery of odd Dickensian characters. The Law and the Lady is as remarkable a novel today as it was when it was first published in 1875

message 5: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 45 comments I would like to nominate "The Haunted Hotel" by Wilkie Collins.I hope it has not been a group read yet.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Virginie wrote: "I would like to nominate "The Haunted Hotel" by Wilkie Collins.I hope it has not been a group read yet."

It has not! :)

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Rebecca wrote: "The Law and the Lady - Wilkie Collins"

Oohh... good nomination! Rather obscure, but I just read a quick review and it looks great!

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 134 comments Uncle Silas
Since i actually got a copy for christmas. ;-)

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Peregrine wrote: "I nominate Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope."

Excellent! This would work well for my personal challenge as well (selfishly speaking)! :)

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Scott wrote: "Uncle Silas
"

Great nominations so far! I can't stop myself from commenting - the girl on this cover totally creeps me out; what a deliciously scary-sounding book for these cold, dark winter nights!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (likeabalalaika) | 4 comments I'm nominating Diary of a Nobody because I've heard that it's really funny. Plus, it's been on my "to-read" list forever.

message 12: by Inder (new)

Inder | 27 comments Great ideas here, but I second the nomination of Diary of a Nobody - my great uncle has been recommending that one to me for years, and it's time I got around to it.

message 13: by Stella (new)

Stella (Stella_ExLibris) | 1 comments Hi, I would like to nominate Villette by Charlotte Bronte, which many people say is a far superior piece than Jane Eyre (and has been on my to-read list for quite some time now).

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Roper (Nerdy_book_girl) | 26 comments WOW! these are such great suggestions. In fact I think I'm going to skip nominating because I want to read every single book everyone has listed. Ah! Book Anxiety!!!

message 16: by Nicki (new)

Nicki | 43 comments The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Stella wrote: "Hi, I would like to nominate Villette by Charlotte Bronte, which many people say is a far superior piece than Jane Eyre (and has been on my to-read list for quite some time now). "

Hi Stella - thanks for the nomination, but Villette was a previous group read. The discussion threads are still open for new posts if you'd like to add your thoughts/comments.

Would you like to nominate another book?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 639 comments I believe Laurele already nominated Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

message 19: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Nicki wrote: "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte"

Hi Nicki-

Tenant was nominated earlier in this thread - would you like to nominate another?

Thank you!

message 20: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Susanna wrote: "I believe Laurele already nominated Tenant of Wildfell Hall."

Great minds... :)

message 21: by Paula (last edited Jan 01, 2010 11:08AM) (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Susanna wrote: "Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo."

Classics and the Western Canon just wrapped up LesMis as a group read, and I am woefully behind (barely on page 600 of 1500) so this would be a great way for me to continue the book, but I don't know that I can compete with the discussion from that group!

EDIT - let me clarify - I don't know that I can compete with the job the moderators did for that book :)

message 22: by Nicki (new)

Nicki | 43 comments Sorry! I saw Elizabeth's post mentioning Tenant and nominating a different book, but I overlooked Laurele's post. My apologies. :)

message 23: by Hope (new)

Hope | 39 comments Little Dorrit by: Charles Dickens

That hasn't been read in this group yet, has it?

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Hope wrote: "Little Dorrit by: Charles Dickens

That hasn't been read in this group yet, has it?"

Nope :)

message 25: by Hope (new)

Hope | 39 comments Alright, then I nominate that one:)

message 26: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Camp (GerryC) | 12 comments How about Our Mutual Friend?
Gerry

message 27: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 1880 comments Thomas Hardy, Jude the Obscure

message 28: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 01, 2010 06:46PM) (new)

Rebecca I would love to see a Hardy novel be chosen too.

message 29: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 45 comments "Jude the Obscure" is a harsh, dark but beautiful Hardy novel, I loved it when I read it a long long time ago....I love Hardy.

message 30: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Camp (GerryC) | 12 comments I'd vote for Jude the Obscure also.
Gerry

Victoria (vikz writes) (VixtoriaVikzwrites) Peregrine wrote: "I nominate Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope."

I second this nomination for Trollope

message 32: by Boof (new)

Boof | 956 comments Oh my, look at all these great nominations. I was wondering which one to nominate myself but I may not need to now.

message 33: by Paul (new)

Paul Dinger | 75 comments Peregrine wrote: "I nominate Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope."

I second this nomination for Trollope

I couldn't agree more. Can you say, "I third that"?

ღ Carol jinx~☆~ | 9 comments Paula wrote: "Scott wrote: "Uncle Silas
"

Great nominations so far! I can't stop myself from commenting - the girl on this cover totally creeps me ou..."

It is a wonderful book. I read it last year and love Sheridan LeFanu

message 35: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 45 comments Yes, the girl is really creepy, I ordered it yesterday, sounds great......

ღ Carol jinx~☆~ | 9 comments My son saw the picture and said, "what the h--- is that about? It looks eerie!

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 114 comments Such good nominations that I think I'll just sit back and wait for the voting!

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Roper (Nerdy_book_girl) | 26 comments I can't help it, I have to nominate.... Daniel Deronda

message 39: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 1880 comments Amanda wrote: "I can't help it, I have to nominate.... Daniel Deronda"

That was my second choice for nomination after Jude the Obscure. If Jude doesn't make the final cut and DD does, I'll probably vote for it.

ღ Carol jinx~☆~ | 9 comments The Dead Secret by Wilkie Collins

message 41: by Paula (last edited Jan 03, 2010 12:54PM) (new)

message 42: by Boof (new)

Boof | 956 comments Carol wrote: "The Dead Secret by Wilkie Collins"

Oh great, I have this and really want to read it soon.

message 43: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Maybe we should have a "shrine" thread for Wilkie Collins :)

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Ha!

We may, at least, need to do a "vote-off" as there are 13 nominations (and possibly more) and we may need to re-cast the poll to help narrow things down a bit. Any opposition to this idea?

message 45: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine | 120 comments None here. A suggestion for future months is to take only the first nominated title by any one author.

message 46: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments Peregrine wrote: "None here. A suggestion for future months is to take only the first nominated title by any one author. "

That's a good idea, too. Or maybe we could have a "no-Dickens" month :)

message 47: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine | 120 comments I dunno about a no-Dickens month. I say let him roll, lol, and when he's done, he's done.

message 48: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1185 comments That's true - and it does help to read Dickens with a group.

message 49: by Inder (new)

Inder | 27 comments I love Dickens, but it's good to branch out to the other lesser-known Victorians; so I'm all for a no-Dickens month now and then.

message 50: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 1880 comments We may, at least, need to do a "vote-off" as there are 13 nominations (and possibly more) and we may need to re-cast the poll to help narrow things down a bit. Any opposition to this idea?"

I prefer that procedure if there is no very clear winner in the first round. That way, we get the book that is most likely to get a good group of readers.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Can You Forgive Her? (other topics)
Uncle Silas (other topics)
Les Misérables (other topics)
Daniel Deronda (other topics)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anthony Trollope (other topics)