Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > What are U reading these days? (PART SIX) (2010)

Comments (showing 1,051-1,059 of 1,059) (1059 new)    post a comment »
1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 22 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1051: by Jackie (last edited Dec 23, 2010 09:39AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Joy wrote: I don't know why I didn't get a notice about the posting.

Ever since they added 'notification' to the home page, I haven't been getting all my notices in regular email either. And some have taken as long as 8 hours to show up, others right away. ??? I guess they need to work on it more. Personally, I find the new notification an annoyance. I preferred the way it was.

message 1052: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15117 comments Jackie, I didn't even realize there had been a change. Thanks for posting about it.

message 1053: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (MaryJL) | 434 comments Just finished Snow Blind (Monkeewrench #4) (excellent, btw) and now starting StephenKing's "Under the Dome" . All 1,000 plus pages of it--will take a while.

The beginning was promising thought.

message 1054: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 28, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15117 comments I recently tried reading some cozy mysteries by Nancy Atherton. One was Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin. Another was Aunt Dimity's Christmas. The stories were fair, but the author interperses boring details about her family and domestic life which I find boring and annoying. So I won't be reading anymore books by Atherton.

I also tried reading Outfoxed and Hotspur by Rita Mae Brown, but, having no experience in hunting with hounds, I couldn't develop enough interest.

Lately I find that some other authors introduce too many new characters at once without any interesting character development. As soon as this happens, I close the book and cross that author off my list.

message 1055: by Jackie (last edited Dec 28, 2010 03:01PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I just finished A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I gave it a rare 5 stars. I've been very lucky in my choices lately, one spectacular book after another and this was no different in that respect. It was brilliant.

I picked The Sight by David Clement-Davies as part of a book challenge in Fantasy Aficionados for the month of January. For those of us who need to 'make a dent' in our physical bookshelves. Feel free to join in: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...
And here you can post your 'Confessions of a book buying addict': http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

I've decided to try to thin out my standalone books because the series I have are not complete as I'm missing various books to these many series and would only destroy the challenge. As it is, it's going to be damn hard not buying the rest of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. The only thing keeping me from buying them this very minute is the hope that I'll find some of them at the next Crandall Library Book Sale in February.

message 1056: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15117 comments Jackie, hope you will find the books you're looking for. Right now I'm rereading a book I own, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. (See my review here):
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
This book will have to hold me until I get back to the library for more books.

message 1057: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I still have the copy you gave me, Joy. I hope to get to it soon.

message 1058: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5297 comments Sorry you didn't like Brown's books, Joy. I thought the animal angle might interest you. The Fox Hunting scene is a bit odd, though. I grew up in it, so I understand it, but it is kind of a world unto itself.

Jackie, I'm glad to hear you liked the GRRM book. I was wondering whether or not to read one of his. I liked the Joker's Wild series, but he mostly edited that.

message 1059: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 15117 comments I've started a new thread for 2011. See it at:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 22 next »

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Accidental Time Machine (other topics)
Shakespeare's Landlord (other topics)
Puppet (other topics)
Sarah's Key (other topics)
World Without End (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joe Haldeman (other topics)
Charlaine Harris (other topics)
Lyn Hamilton (other topics)
Steven Saylor (other topics)
Tatiana de Rosnay (other topics)
More...