Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Naked in Death discussion

end of the novel

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Tafel Hello,
I'm a dutch woman, and i read this book in english.
But can someone tell me how this book ends?

Thank you

Lesley

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

what fun would that be :)

Alexis-Morgan Roark Seriously? Did you ever find out? It's been over a year now...it's such a great series.

Betsy Lesley, if you still want to know, I will e-mail you separately.

Dhfan4life I just read/listened to it as my copy was in audio format. And have to say that I was not all that enthralled with the ending. Yea it was kind of sweet. But overall the story just seemed to have everything happening so quickly in the first book. And I was not all that enraptured with Roarke either. I mean he was all over the case and then just cause he is there Eve just falls for him? Just didn't seem so wowza.

Jeanie Jackson Maybe the audio books miss something. It was chemistry and that fact that he didn't give up. At that point she was not use to people who don't give up on her and each of the few who didn't became important to her. She is needy, she just tries to block it. Some of it is more obvious in later books.

Dhfan4life I suppose. Just didn't translate so well for me. I'll try the second one reading it myself to see if I like it better or not.

Jeanie Jackson I did not like the first in Death book I read either, but as I came to know the people, I came to care about them. I hope you get the chance too. I did not encounter them in order. Maybe skip ahead for a taste, then go back. I really didn't get Eve and didn't care for her much. I have now reread the series in order at least 5 times except for the last book. Only read it once so far. Needless to say, I now love the series.

Dhfan4life Perhaps. I think I'll stick it out for a couple more books. I just have so many series going as it is. So I'll decide to keep it or kick it after a bit.

Jeanie Jackson What other series?

message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Jeanie wrote: "Maybe the audio books miss something. It was chemistry and that fact that he didn't give up. At that point she was not use to people who don't give up on her and each of the few who didn't became..."

I have to agree here, I read the book (plane / lost it) and months later I listened to the audio book, the delivery of the audio book fell flat. Rourke was 100% wrong in the audio version. Though I though Eve was perfect.

message 12: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee whereas i'm the complete opposite - i tried many times to read naked in death and kept putting it aside, but loved the audiobook - before i had finished the first one I ordered the next 3...I now have the complete series (thanks to the audible sale the other week where they were all 7.95 each)...Susan erickson nails Rourke for me - but that being said, IIRC, there is another version of books 1-3 out with a different narrator that have since been re-done

message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Dee wrote: "whereas i'm the complete opposite - i tried many times to read naked in death and kept putting it aside, but loved the audiobook - before i had finished the first one I ordered the next 3...I now h..."

Interesting, prior to listening to the audio I had already read the first 5 novels, I had a "voice" in my head that didn't coincide with the one the audio used. And I couldn't get by it, I was completely distracted that the voice didn't match what I thought it should be. To me there wasn't much of an Irish brogue, but then thats where personal tastes come in. I find that very interesting that we had two different takes on this. The book though for me is a 5, I loved every word. Pretty much read the first 10 as though my life depended on it. Unfortunately for me I overdosed, but I'll be back. I learned not to obsess since then. I constantly change up my reading even if I do love a repeat character. But I always come back

message 14: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i rarely listen to books i have already read for that reason - i don't like having the voice in my head...everyone seems to love the narrations of Lisa Klepyas' books but I hated the one I listned to because Cam was ruined for me...I think the only book I have listened to that I have read multiple times is Outlander - Davina porter is the epitome of the awesome audiobook narrator

I listen to one every few months, next up for me is Imitation in Death - hoping to get to it in June or July

Dhfan4life Jeanie wrote: "What other series?"

Black Dagger Brotherhood
Dark-hunter
Demonica and Lords of Deliverance
Sabina Kane
Children of the sea
Psy-Changeling

And those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head at the moment lol.

Dhfan4life Sue wrote: "Dee wrote: "whereas i'm the complete opposite - i tried many times to read naked in death and kept putting it aside, but loved the audiobook - before i had finished the first one I ordered the next..."

Yea, see I usually read more books than go the audio route(lack of active listening on my part and totally spacing out on the narrator cause I'm not doing the actual reading myself. But I was admittedly better this time around than before). And tend to like the voice I have in my head over the audio adaptations as well. And you weren't alone on the irish accent for Roarke either. Just didn't seem to come through at times. And when it did, it kind of sounded like he was much older than Eve. Like she was talking to her grandfather or something, lol.

Jeanie Jackson Dhfan4life wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "What other series?"

Black Dagger Brotherhood
Dark-hunter
Demonica and Lords of Deliverance
Sabina Kane
Children of the sea
Psy-Changeling

And those are the ones I can recall off ..."
Thanks, always looking for titles from likeminded readers. Our library is so small I have to buy a large percentage of what I read on a retirement salary.

Jeanie Jackson Be fair about the accent. In the book she says he has only a hint except when he is angry. Of course my find puts it in too.

Dhfan4life Jeanie, for me that is reasonably fair. What annoyed me the most was that he was all over the case and kept turning up like a bad penny. And then when she does wear down and sleeps with him. He suddenly acts like it could have no bearing on her doing her job objectively. To me that was such a round about mess and neither seemed to get it. But as I said before I'll read the second to see if things get better in my opinion to continue or not. This first impression just wasn't as good for me. I'll probably get more into it for the crime-solving aspect though if the characters don't pan out.

message 20: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Dhfan4life wrote: "Sue wrote: "Dee wrote: "whereas i'm the complete opposite - i tried many times to read naked in death and kept putting it aside, but loved the audiobook - before i had finished the first one I orde..."

You captured that perfectly, I agree it wasn't just the accent, but it seemed older than it should have been.

Dhfan4life I guess it's just one of those accents that aren't so easily portrayed if it's not native to the person.

message 22: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Dhfan4life wrote: "Jeanie, for me that is reasonably fair. What annoyed me the most was that he was all over the case and kept turning up like a bad penny. And then when she does wear down and sleeps with him. He sud..."

Bad penny, hmmm I didn't interpret it that way. I found him to be obnoxiously arrogant at times. She on the other hand was pretty damn arrogant herself, but true to her job. Rightfully she suspected him logically though emotionally she didn't, she didn't trust her heart. First half they spared, second half they just stopped fighting each other. As for Roarke does he learn? (i.e. bad penny thoughts), yes he does . He learns to respect her space and if he can’t he helps her. Their relationship shouldn’t be judged just on book 1… read 2 & 3 and if you have the patience decide then. By Book 3 you have a very good idea of their relationship. Oh, another tidbit… Naked series does a great job adding characters to build on… they grow them as well as Eve and Roarke.

Dhfan4life As I said I will get book 2. But I don't do series back to back. I have more than enough series to keep up with and decide if I want to continue with. I'm doing a lot of them by first book feel right now. If I like it enough I'll keep going. If not, then not going to waste my time. Simple.

message 24: by Sue (last edited May 27, 2012 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Completely understand, I often when available try new series the same way. My latest trick is to use audiobooks (Library) for any new authors I haven't read before. I have a 2.5 hour round trip commute and it makes the time pass. And I have found I no longer read Nora Roberts / J. D. Robb exclusively. Audio listening is a small investment of time for me and so worth it my author list has grown by leaps and bounds over the last year. All because of audio.

Dhfan4life Yea, for many folks that works. Just I'm still in the processes of trainging myself to be more of an active listener with it. I'm still not a big fan of audio because I actually enjoy holding and bookmarking my own books. Even though I'm a slow poke at reading them that way or waiting forever for them to come into my library. But with all that said, I guess I just get more involved and invested in a story when I read it myself. Hence I said when I try the second one and read it myself I might connect better to it that way as I'm a more active participant.

Jeanie Jackson When a lot of my friends started talking about audios, they were commuting quite a ways but I live around the corner from my job. By time I started working in Houston, I didn't trust my driving enough to trust the distractions. I keep intending to try again. Our library has a better CD collection than they do book collections but my husband bought me a Nook last year for my birthday and I am hooked on it. Have pain in one hand so it gets harder and harder to hold a book.

message 27: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Jeanie wrote: "When a lot of my friends started talking about audios, they were commuting quite a ways but I live around the corner from my job. By time I started working in Houston, I didn't trust my driving en..."

I'm so sorry you have pain in your hand, have you considered listening to audio books while you clean/cook/fold laundry/grocery shop. I have a iPhone and copy my audio down to that or simple use my CD player in the house. I actually don't care if I need to scrub the tub. It's amazing how mundane chores zip by when your mind is occupied with an audio book.

message 28: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I read this one a while ago and have always been intrigued by the "futuristic" aspect of these series of books. I'll have to look into some of her other in death books since i enjoyed this one so much.

Jeanie Jackson Sue wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "When a lot of my friends started talking about audios, they were commuting quite a ways but I live around the corner from my job. By time I started working in Houston, I didn't trus..."

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just started walking so it may be a great way to take my mind off my sweating brow, etc.

Caroline Dhfan4life wrote: "Perhaps. I think I'll stick it out for a couple more books. I just have so many series going as it is. So I'll decide to keep it or kick it after a bit."

I agree! I didn't like the first book. I am reading the second right now, trying to get into it, but it is slow going. I just don't like Eve at all. She really irritates me. But, I am giving it another go to see if the series grows on me.

Nancy I've loved the In Death series from the beginning. But when I started listening to them on CDs they got that much better. I'll only listen to them now. I think it's the first futuristic book I read...The one that got me hooked was I think called Remember When. Once I'd read that one I had to get the series up until then. Now I get them almost as soon as they come out.

Dhfan4life Caroline wrote: "Dhfan4life wrote: "Perhaps. I think I'll stick it out for a couple more books. I just have so many series going as it is. So I'll decide to keep it or kick it after a bit."

I agree! I didn't like ..."

Cool, hope it turns a corner. As I do like Nora Roberts and I know she can do an excellent story. But maybe the J.D. Robb stuff just isn't for me. I'll see when I get back around to this series.

Nancy I listen to audio book rather than the radio no matter how far I have to go from home, even just around the corner.

Traci i have listened to the whole series on audio. Love the next one and starting on Immortal in Death!

Traci reading it might be a little tooooo slow,

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Naked in Death (other topics)