Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Introductions

Comments (showing 201-250 of 1,535) (1535 new)    post a comment »

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Welcome, Laura! Just looking at the list of your favorites, I know I'm going to like you. ;) I have the first Study book on my TBR list and am looking forward to reading it.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Welcome Laura - I will ignore your Twilight comment, because I love all the other books you mentioned. (jk:) p.s. I have a hold on Poison Study and am excited to start that series too :)

message 203: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Welcome Laura! I've only read about half of the books you listed, but you'll fit right in.

message 204: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Hi Laura! I love pretty much every book you listed. There are just a few there I haven't gotten to yet. Welcome!

message 205: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Apr 12, 2010 08:25AM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Hiya Laura! Since you're a former lurker, I'll keep this short. Obligatory Twilight comment. Obligatory Team question. Obligatory snark!!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Peep wrote: "Hiya Laura! Since you're a former lurker, I'll keep this short. Obligatory Twilight comment. Obligatory Team question. Obligatory snark!!"

Ha! We are pretty repetitive here aren't we???

message 207: by Dialma (last edited Apr 13, 2010 09:01AM) (new)

Dialma | 14 comments Hi! I join this group a while ago but I don't think I ever introduce myself. I'm a 33 year old, mother of 4 year old twin girls, and I loved YA. I do read other genre, but mostly YA. I must say, the threads on this book make me LOL a lot. You are full of great remarks and I'm not consider myself very "savvy" so I just read them, but don't comment. I will come out and say that I'm one of those that is NOT in love with the Twilight series, even when all my close friends are. I read them and I go to the movies with my friends, because it's always fun to hang out with friends, but the books where not that great, on my opinion. Sorry!!! And I LOOOOVED The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, and I'm Teem Peeta all the way!!!! I need to thank you all for all the book recommendations, my TBR list is out of control now, though!!!! Glad to be part of this book group!!!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Dialma you are my new best friend!

message 209: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Dialma wrote: "Hi! I join this group a while ago but I don't think I ever introduce myself. I'm a 33 year old, mother of 4 year old twin girls, and I loved YA. I do read other genre, but mostly YA. I must say, th..."

Really?? Team Peeta? Would it be rude to welcome you to the group AND request that you return to lurking?? New group rule!! Only Gale lovers are permitted to de-lurk.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Oh don't listen to Peep. You are definitely welcome! Especially since you are Team Peeta AND because you disliked Twilight. Peep - go work on taking pictures of your "imaginary" shirt.

message 211: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments I can't Heidi. My imaginary flash keeps making my imaginary shirt look blurry.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Sure sure

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Welcome, Dialma! Being Team Peeta makes up for you not liking Twilight. Kind of. LOL! ;)

message 214: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Shannen I just took a closer look at your profile pic. Hilarious, haha!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Thanks, Kourtni! I'm always on the lookout for the next Rob profile pic and thought this one was great. :)

message 216: by Jaimie (last edited Apr 12, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments I miss one day and wow! First there is a Twilight bashing (sorry Shannen that I wasn't here to back you up, Twi-hards have to stick together when Heidi and Peep decide to attack! ;)) then everyone decided to hug and kiss it out. Next there are like a million new people (Hi! and welcome). Amazing.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Yup Jaimie - no rest for the wicked here!
In the words of the great Jeremy Piven "Let's hug it out bit**" :)

message 218: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Jaimie wrote: "I miss one day and wow! First there is a Twilight bashing (sorry Shannen that I wasn't here to back you up, Twi-hards have to stick together when Heidi and Peep decide to attack! ;)) then everyone ..."

You also missed our pie eating contest and chili cook off. Oh well, maybe next year??

message 219: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments Man oh man, I will never miss another day here so help me!

message 220: by Ann (new)

Ann | 13 comments Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to YA fiction (I'm 30 years old, so it's been a while). After reading the Twilight Series (which I loved), I didn't read any YA fiction until I picked up The Hunger Games. Since then I've read quite a few YA books. My favorites (besides Twilight and The Hunger Games) are Catching Fire, Graceling, and Shiver. I just found this website, and I'm so excited because it's already given me a whole bunch of books to put on my to-be-read shelf.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Oh, Ann, I think I love you already! You just have to answer one question...Are you Team Peeta or Team Gale? Haha! ;)

Welcome, Ann!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Welcome Ann *trying hard to be the better person here and not mention Twlight* :)

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Heidi wrote: "Welcome Ann *trying hard to be the better person here and not mention Twlight* :)"

You mentioned it by not mentioning it! You're a poop. ;)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Yeeeesssss Shannen, but I did not say anything bad about it! Hey, give me some credit for trying!

message 225: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Hi Ann, welcome to the group! You've joined the most awesome and bestest group on goodreads. Congratulations.

message 226: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments I loved Twilight! I just don't understand all the haters!

message 227: by Ann (new)

Ann | 13 comments It's ok. I expected the negative Twilight comments...That's why I didn't mention I'm Team Gale. I didn't want everyone to hate me right off the bat :-)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Oh Kourtni I am trying SUPER SUPER hard to be nice here.

message 229: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Ann, you officially get nothing but love from me now!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Ann wrote: "It's ok. I expected the negative Twilight comments...That's why I didn't mention I'm Team Gale. I didn't want everyone to hate me right off the bat :-)"

Oh my, you're going to get Heidi going now! LOL!

message 231: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Would it make you feel better to vent? I hate to start a war, buuuuut I would love to understand what it is you despise about it!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments Kourtni wrote: "Would it make you feel better to vent? I hate to start a war, buuuuut I would love to understand what it is you despise about it!"

I only want to know if she can explain it NICELY. Good luck with that, Heidi! Haha!

message 233: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments Welcome, I like your style my friend. Heidi is going to lose her $***.

message 234: by Laura (new)

Laura | 114 comments Thank you so much for the welcome!

Shannen and Heidi--I'm glad you're going to check out Poison Study. I'd love to discuss.

Ann--We like a bunch of the same books!

Peep--Oh, but it's such a tough decision! I literally just sat here for 30 min going over the pros and cons of each of them, lol. I've concluded that Peeta is darn endearing and he's sure in the books a lot more, but I just have this feeling that Gale is more the man for Katniss. So, it looks like I'm going with my gut and choosing Team Gale! *Ducks under the table*

By the way, could someone kindly tell me how to use the italics in my posts? I'm sure it's blatantly obvious, but I'm just not seeing it.

message 235: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Apr 12, 2010 11:39AM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Heidi I got your back! Explaining the lack of Twilight love would be like beating a dead horse.

Yeah Team Gale Laura! In order to get italics, you can reply directly to someone (by clicking "reply" located at the bottom right section of their post) or you could use blah, blah, blah. Whoops. That won't show up right. < i >blah, blah, blah < / i > but remove the spaces. Ok. I guess it even shows up with spaces!!

message 236: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments My lack of Twilight love is explained in one word: Bella. Worst protagonist ever written in my humble opinion. And the only complaint I have about Edward/Jacob is that they both fell in love with that stupid... I'll save my expletives for another time. Other than that, no complaints here.

And welcome to the new folks!

message 237: by Kourtni (last edited Apr 12, 2010 12:13PM) (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Becca - I totally understand and respect your view, thank you for sharing.

Peep & Heidi - Sorry to ask you to beat a dead horse. I just rarely hear good reasons for the "Lack of Twilight Love". I was curious to hear the opinions of someone who was better informed than those Twilight haters who refuse to read the book.

Okay I'm done, no more Twilight talk from me.

message 238: by Laura (new)

Laura | 114 comments Peep wrote: "Heidi I got your back! Explaining the lack of Twilight love would be like beating a dead horse.

Yeah Team Gale Laura! In order to get italics, you can reply directly to someone (by clicking "repl..."

Ohh, I see. Thanks, Peep! I've been wondering about that for awhile.

message 239: by Ann (new)

Ann | 13 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you so much for the welcome!

Shannen and Heidi--I'm glad you're going to check out Poison Study. I'd love to discuss.

Ann--We like a bunch of the same books!

Peep--Oh, but it's such ..."

I have Poison Study on my to-read-list. Is it good? I'm glad we share the same taste, and I totally agree with you about your reasons for being Team Gale. Do you have any other book recommendations?

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Ok. Don't say I didn't try to be nice! You all pushed me. Sooooooo... for the last time, Twilight is poorly written (wordy) and poorly edited (I mean how many times did you see the word beautiful?). Not to mention the female protagonist is horrible. I would likely not give it such a hard time if it hadn't sold so many copies, but since it has, I feel there are other books out there that are well written and wonderful, but don't get read because everyone is reading Twilight and thinking it is, "like the best book ever". HOWEVER - I will give the series credit for getting so many people to read books, because in the end, that is what is important :) Amen.

message 241: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Kourtni wrote: "Becca - I totally understand and respect your view, thank you for sharing.

Peep & Heidi - Sorry to ask you to beat a dead horse. I just rarely hear good reasons for the "Lack of Twilight Love". ..."

You could ask over at the Twilight thread. You might get more responses.

message 242: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Ok, so sorry I brought it up. It was just mentioned alot on here. Nevermind!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Hey - I answered you!

message 244: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Heidi wrote: "Hey - I answered you!"

Oh, you did! Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

message 245: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments LOL.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7191 comments Don't take it personally Kourtni - a ton of people love Twilight. I am just not one of them.

message 247: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Peep wrote: "Kourtni wrote: "Becca - I totally understand and respect your view, thank you for sharing.

Peep & Heidi - Sorry to ask you to beat a dead horse. I just rarely hear good reasons for the "Lack of Tw..."

I just value the opinions of those in this discussion because I noticed we like a lot of the same books. No worries if you don't want to talk about it. :)

message 248: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Heidi wrote: "Don't take it personally Kourtni - a ton of people love Twilight. I am just not one of them."

Not at all! Everybody likes different things. I was just curious.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) | 1681 comments You're right that there are better books out there that haven't received the recognition that Twilight has. For some reason, Twilight just clicked with a lot of people. Even my non-reading, too cool for everything, 16 yo son has read them and loved them. I love finally being able to discuss books with him. I think I am going to give him Shiver or The Hunger Games to read next.

message 250: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 17 comments Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I liked Twilight and think anything that makes so many people READ these days, and so many people have an opinion, is a great thing for reading.

BTW I was referring to being a GR Librarian. Just wondered if it was a fun thing to do; they sometimes get into arguments but that's cool too.

Right now I am re-reading (re-listening to?) the Eyre Affair series. I think of them of YA too and find them really amusing and entertaining.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fallen (other topics)
Tithe (other topics)
The Summoning (other topics)
Vampire Academy (other topics)
The Only Alien on the Planet (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Melissa Marr (other topics)
Linda Joy Singleton (other topics)
Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
P.C. Cast (other topics)
Cassandra Clare (other topics)
More...