All The Books You've Never Read discussion

Book/Author Recommendations > Books You DONT Recommend

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here you let us know about that book that you wasted 10 days on. It was the worst read of your life and you want those hours back. You can let us know who was the author and of course you can unload here about why. Have fun and let it off your chest. (But please don't be extremely harsh.)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll start. I didn't waste too much time on a book that was so not worth it. Luckily it was a quick read. The Tuesday Erotica Club by Lisa Beth Kovetz. I didn't like the plot, the people, and the book title that makes you think you will be getting a bit more hotness...

message 3: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) ok... I don't recommend you to read: Just Grace by Charise Mericle Harper!! It's soo uninteresting and I've never even finished the book!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I was starting to think I was the only one who reads bad books. There have been a few I haven't finished.

message 5: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I don't usually read bad books.. luckily most of the books I read are great books! Mostly my mom picked it out for me (and she bought it for me too). But the books I happen to choose seems to be ugly...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes it is really hard to tell what is inside the cover!

message 7: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) :) i know!!! I gotta go, bye!!

message 8: by Lydia M. (last edited Jan 08, 2010 02:51PM) (new)

Lydia M. Escape from Memory by Margaret Peterson Haddix.
It's one of those books you understand, but you think it's too complicated. Like it's confusing, but it's not..

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

That book does have a huge mix of reviews. I'm always ify about those kinds of books. They can wave either way and most of the time I end up wasting my time.

message 10: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 3 comments "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audry Niffenegger. Oh my goodness if there were ever a weirder, duller book. The beginning is very slow and the ending is just strange. You don't really feel much for any of the characters...I don't know. Not the greatest story. There is a few twists at the end, but even those aren't enough to save the story. The twins, Valentina and Julia, are 21 and still dress the same and EXTREMELY dependent of each other. It's creepy.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh no! I heard good things about this book. Looks like I have time for a different book.

message 12: by Stray, peace, love, and a nice cup of cocoa - anyone? (new)

Stray (andrez-ssi) | 858 comments Mod
any charles dickens book sucks

message 13: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

Zakiya the Walking Butterfly (walkingbutterfly) | 2810 comments Mod
I automatically DISAGREE!! A Christmas Carol was good, althouhg I'm not sure you would consider that a book. And I want to read A Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twist, etc.

message 14: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 181 comments LeONor wrote: "any charles dickens book sucks"

I automatically disagree too. Dickens' character descriptions (and really, his descriptions in general) are phenomenal.

message 15: by Pandy (last edited May 24, 2010 04:22PM) (new)

Pandy I agree with Jordan and Zakiya. David Copperfield and Great Expectations are among my favorite books and I really want to read a Tale of Two Cities. (I've read Oliver Twist, but I don't remember it being my favorite.)

message 16: by Stray, peace, love, and a nice cup of cocoa - anyone? (last edited Feb 15, 2010 01:29PM) (new)

I must say what happened for me to have such strong opinion against dickens.I started reading oliver twist.after more or less 10 pages I had to stop or Id fall asleep.a couple of mpnths later, I tried to read great expectations; the same thing happened, the mans better than a sleeping pill!.however, Im willing to try one more time with a christmas carol but if it doesnt work, Ill give it up

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't picked up any of his books yet. I'm not sure if I want to any time soon.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely THE HOLLOW by Jessica Verday. Again, I wish I could do that link thing but I've got no idea how.
You should read my review to this book, it's so boring without any plot.

message 19: by Ayunda (last edited Feb 19, 2010 06:15AM) (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) LeONor wrote: "I must say what happened for me to have such strong opinion against dickens.I started reading oliver twist.after more or less 10 pages I had to stop or Id fall asleep.a couple of mpnths later, I tr..."

I had to agree with Oliver Twist... I still haven't finished it until this day. And I'm not interested to read more about it. I watched the movie once, but I forgot about it cause I didn't pay attention. Maybe if I reread it in a few years I would like it?
But I read A Christmas Carol and it's a great book...

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (dressagelover) | 225 comments Ginny wrote: "Definitely THE HOLLOW by Jessica Verday. Again, I wish I could do that link thing but I've got no idea how.
You should read my review to this book, it's so boring without any plot."

I'm reading the Hollow now. So far it's kind of dull and boring. I'm only 140ish pages into it but it hasn't kept me reading through the night let alone reading to figure out what happens next.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Believe me, it doesn't happen much. Plus, you'll never find out what really happend to Kristen.
I was very disappointed at the end, but I hope you'll still find it bearable :) So you aren't entirely wasting your time :)

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (dressagelover) | 225 comments Thanks. I heard that it's going to be a series so hopefully we will find out what happened to Kristen. Right now that's the only reason/thing I want to find out in the book.

message 23: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

For right now, I wouldn't recommend The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans. The first chapter has a lot of profanity in it when you get to the man's perspective. When I got done with 3/4 of the first chapter, I stopped because it was a cuss word every other word it seemed like.

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (dressagelover) | 225 comments That's to bad. Since I love horses and have the movie I was going to get the book. The movie is really good and I still want to read it but maybe I'll get it from the library instead of buying it, the usual way I get books.

message 25: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

Well, like I said, that's just my review for right now. If you read the book and the profanity reduces a lot as the book progresses, tell me and maybe I'll try reading it again.

message 26: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I haven't read it, but my mom recommended it.. I don't know if it's good or not...

message 27: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (NewTimeLord) | 551 comments The Last Dragon
The View from Saturday

message 28: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

What don't you like about it?

message 29: by Pandy (new)

Pandy I'm curious as to why you didn't like the The Phantom Tollbooth too. And why don't you like The View from Saturday, Aviva?

message 30: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (NewTimeLord) | 551 comments i couldnt even finish it. I dont know I just couldnt get into it. and I read about half!

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Russell I don't recommend 60 percent of young adult novels. Half of them are completely forgettable, and the other half are written by authors who have no idea what they're doing. You know YA books have got down the sh*tter when they're coming from authors (ha, yeah right) like Lauren Conrad and Hilary Duff.

message 32: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

True. ((Could you maybe find another word to use besides "sh*tter"?))

message 33: by Leanne (last edited May 23, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

Leanne (Leanne-Monica) | 90 comments i dont recomendGeek Charming it is very hard to grasp the story and it is quite boring!!!!i read it in 1 day it was 338 pages but BORINGGG

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate (dressagelover) | 225 comments Really? Geek Charming? I just boguht that book a month ago but haven't read it. Does it have anything to do with the Princess and the Frog? It seemed to from the back of the books cover and the summery.

message 35: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

♫ ♥Nada♥ ♫ wrote: "I don't recommend Twilight."

You dislike Twi? Explain your reasons, please :)

message 36: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (last edited May 23, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

And still didn't like it??? Cuz I've only read each book once and I luhved the series.

message 37: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

What made you not like it anymore?

message 38: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

Okay so that's actually very true. I get your point. And I was only "prying" because I was just curious. :)

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kessler (LisaKessler) | 1 comments Pandy wrote: "I agree with Jordan and Zakiya. David Copperfield and Great Expectations are among my favorite books and I really want to read a Tale of Two Cities. (I've read Oliver Twist, but I don't remember it..."

A Tale of Two Cities is definitely worth reading... my favorite Dickens... :)

message 40: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 98 comments World Without End I absolutely hated this book. I DO NOT recommend it.

Also:
The Mark, Rabbit in the Moon, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (a lot of people like this, but not me), Stones in Water, Numbers and I'm sure some others

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Why don't you recommend Numbers? Did you not like it? It's on my to-read list, and I wanted to hear other's opinions... so mind to share? :)

message 42: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 98 comments I don't know how much I could say about it without spoiling it. I didn't really like the language of the book, meaning the author's language, it was kind of like a 17 year old wrote it (which might have been the point). I thought it was just an okay book, but I thought the plot was weird in a bad way as in I didn't really believe it (and I read A LOT of fantasy books). Also, there was some really random stuff that when I read it I was like "really?"

I'm glad it was a library book and that I could return it.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for telling me, Jen! :)

Queen Susan the Gentle (highqueensusanofcairparavel) Are there any books you guys would/wouldn't recommend?

message 45: by Stray, peace, love, and a nice cup of cocoa - anyone? (new)

anything by dickens

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm adding Nightlight: A Parody of Twilight to this list. I did not find this book to be funny. It was more stupid and just a waste of my time.

*I added it to the bookswap.*

message 47: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

LOL, I like the "bookswap" part. Even though I know that you're completely serious. :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I got it from the bookswap so I'm just returning it. Someone might find it funny and worth reading. But I really don't recommend it.

message 49: by Zakiya, Co-Mod... (new)

Well we were just reading the GRs synopsis of it, my bro and I, and we were actually cracking up over it. I just think it's really funny how they can take a good series debut and make it utterly retarded but hilarious. :)

message 50: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 98 comments BTW, how does bookswap work?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Tuesday Erotica Club (other topics)
Just Grace (other topics)
Escape from Memory (other topics)
The Horse Whisperer (other topics)
Geek Charming (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lisa Beth Kovetz (other topics)
Charise Mericle Harper (other topics)