Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Trixie's & Anna's Books > A Dog-Gone Good Discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 102) (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 4435 comments Mod
Are you a dog-lover? Do you have a dog in your family? Here's a place to share about your current canine, a dog from your childhood, what your favorite breed of dog is, or anything dog-related.

Our family is currently considering getting a dog. We recently moved to a home with a large back yard, nearby park and open space. My children are getting old enough to help take care of a pet and our new landlords don't hate animals :-)

My wife, who uses an motorized wheelchair, has an application in with Canine Companions for Independence (CCI) but we don't know how long that will take. With all the new Trixie products, the program should be getting lots of funding right now. All proceeds from Trixie's books and products benefit CCI.

You may have noticed Dean Koontz includes characters with disabilities and characters who are dogs in his books once in a while ;-) another reason I'm a fan.

Anyway, while we're waiting for an assistance dog through CCI, we are also looking at local rescues for a family dog - so we might eventually end up with two dogs. Today my wife found a dog with 3-legs that she wants to adopt :-) She wants to adopt a dog with a disability I guess.

Here's a childrens book we own about a dog with 3 legs. We also have the VHS version which goes into more depth.
Clifford's Big Red Ideas (Clifford) by J. Elizabeth Mills

message 2: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I posted two Colorado Rescue links in the Breathless discussion. Here's one more that we've been looking at:
http://www.retrieverrescueofcolorado....

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen | 3 comments I really want a labradoodle. I have allergies and labs are my favourite dog, so here's hoping. I told my allergist I was really wanting a dog, told him about the labradoodle and he laughed at me. He said once I got the dog settled, I should give it to him. LOL I have found a breeder who specializes in mini labradoodles/golden doodles and am keeping in touch. Right now, it is time (can retire in a few years) and money (need to plan a budget). However, I won't give up. I would love to have my little girl (name already picked out) trained as a therapy dog. Once my mom was in the hospital (with a broken hip) for 4 months and I know it was a fun time when the dogs came to visit.

message 4: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I saw a Golden/Poodle mix on Christmas Day. It was a funny furry creature :-) the size of a Golden but with the hair of of poodle. I hope it works out for you.

My wife has now put in 4 applications with 4 different retriever rescues in the area. Our thinking is we'll just see which one gets us through the adoption process and matches us with a dog first :-) Today one of the rescues did a home visit so we're well on our way - My wife is going on a little trip next week to visit family and is hoping to get a dog soon after she returns.

It's amazing that these rescues are all-volunteer. The kids really had fun with the volunteer's Golden today :-) The only thing with this rescue is it was recently featured on the news and so it got a lot of interest. They only have 12 dogs ready for placement and 45 applicants that have been approved - usually the odds are a little better. We've been waiting for years for the kids to be the right age and to be living in the right house. Although we're anxious, we'll be able to wait a few more weeks for the newest addition to our family! I mentioned Dean Koontz to the volunteer that came to our house today :-) She had no idea about Trixie or that Koontz includes dogs so often in his books. She had heard of CCI though.

message 5: by Lynne (last edited Jan 02, 2010 11:34AM) (new)

Lynne | 2 comments For Christmas I got the book called "Love Heels" about Canine Companions for Independence. My dad and his wife do volunteer work for them at their facility in Southern California. They had been on the list for quite a while to receive a "release" dog (one who didn't quite make it as a service dog) and a few weeks ago were given one! Her name is Emma. You can see her on my website http://lynnesletters.com She is precious!

message 6: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Your family has really gone to the dogs! How old is Emma? Your babies are cute too!

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 2 comments Emma is only a little over a year. She is the most mellow, laid-back dog I've ever seen in my life. Kind of weird for a lab!

I just now posted some new pics of Emma and the neighbor's dog Annie, who is also a release dog from CCI.

http://lynnesletters.com

message 8: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

http://www.goldenretrieverfreedom.com...

Golden Retriever Freedom Rescue - this is the rescue we've been working with - our yard passed their home visit inspection on New Years Eve but then my wife & kids went out of state for 5 days this past week.

Unfortunately (or I guess fortunately, depending on how you look at it :-), GRFR currently only has 7 retrievers available for adoption. Some of their dogs are adopted within 2 days of being placed in a foster home - it sounds like a crazy fast turn around to me. GRFR was spotlighted in the media right before Christmas, so they've had above average interest in their dogs lately :-)

message 9: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

http://www.goldenrescue.com/index.html

Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies (GRRR)
This rescue was the first we looked at, but they have a policy about not adopting their dogs to homes with children under 8, due to liability reasons. There's not much chance of us getting a dog through them, unless we can get them to make and exception to their policy. Our children are 4 and 5. I don't really understand their policy because Golden Retrievers are among the best breeds with children. The other rescues we are trying to go through have foster homes with young children. I guess GRRR must not have any foster homes with children to monitor dog's temperament - that's all I can figure. Oh well :-)

message 10: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin wrote: "I posted two Colorado Rescue links in the Breathless discussion. Here's one more that we've been looking at:
http://www.retrieverrescueofcolorado...."

Retriever Rescue of Colorado (RROC) is coming to do a home visit on Monday :-)

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 147 comments [Moved here from Off Topic heading:]
I was going to add this to my review of A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog but the post deserves a spot of its own, so OT it is :)
We rescued a Saint Bernard who was very literally at death's door. She was at a high kill shelter when we got her, and her time was up. Had to lift her into the car to bring her home. She had a severe case of heart worms, numerous internal and external parasites and was dangerously underweight. She was practically hairless, her tail looking like an elephants, only the grey color is not a healthy skin color for a dog, to say the least. She was very senior for the breed, had been used as a brood bitch then discarded when she could no longer produce for the despicable puppy mill. We didn't name her, only hoped for the best and that we would not make her suffer long and needlessly. She was nearly blind and couldn't hear well, but did respond to kind words and loving attention, which she may have never received. We gave her gentle soothing baths, treated her parasites and fed her ever increasing amounts of good food. We had to teach her to take food from our hands; even that kindness was an unknown gesture for her.
The first indication we had that she was coming around was her eyes. It was NOT a gradual progression, it was startlingly sudden. While talking to her - hand feeding her outside - she looked up at me with an absolute SPARKle in her eyes that till that moment had been lifeless! I called my daughter outside to show her. She immediately named her Mimi, telling me she got her name from the Opera, La bohème. Confused, I said 'but that Mimi died'. My daughter said yes, and Mimi WAS dead; she just came back to life. Mimi responded to better health treatment and care over time too, putting on weight, her lustrous hair growing back over healthy looking skin.
If eyes are the gateway to the soul, it was Mimi's soul that looked out to me that day in July 2008. She hears sometimes (probably when it suits her), and takes it for granted that she will get a treat from a hand, but the tale is in her eyes. What her eyes gave me was more payment than ever expected for the rescue work I do.

message 12: by Jason (last edited Jan 18, 2010 01:56AM) (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Tom wrote: "[Moved here from Off Topic heading:]
I was going to add this to my review of A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog but the post deserves a spot of its own, so OT it is :)
We..."

:'-( That was a beautiful story, Tom, and very well-written.

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments I have a black Labrador Retriever back home in Ohio, whose name is Tuvok (Rachel will know from where his name comes and its aptness, given his color ;-)). He lives with my mother and grandmother out in the country. Unfortunately, her house it right next to a county-line road, which is very straight, so people speed horribly on it and many of our past animals have been killed on it, so he cannot run free. Thus, he lives indoors. Like me, he has been drastically overfed by my mother and grandmother, so is quite a bit overweight (I think he weighs somewhere around 100 pounds now). We got him in October 2005, when he was 3 weeks old. I love him more than almost any human, nearly as much as my mother, who is a single parent and she and I are both only children, if that gives any indication of the bond we share. I will be devastated when he dies. Part of the reason I am moving back home from Utah this summer is to be with him. I miss him more than any human back home, because I can at least communicate with my human friends and family back home.

message 14: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Like me, he has been drastically overfed by my mother and grandmother, so is quite a bit overweight (I think he weighs somewhere around 100 pounds now)."

LOL :-D So, are you ever gonna post any pictures on your goodreads profile so we can see just how overweight you are?

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "LOL :-D So, are you ever gonna post any pictures on your goodreads profile so we can see just how overweight you are?"

I wasn't saying I am overweight, just that my dog is, and that we had both been overfed by them. :-P I will neither confirm nor deny the claim that I am overweight. ;-)

message 16: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Like me, he has been drastically overfed by my mother and grandmother, so is quite a bit overweight"

I thought you both had been overfed and were both overweight. I guess it's just a misunderstanding of words :-)
Sorry, reading this, I just can't stop laughing......
ha ha ha

message 17: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Like me, he has been drastically overfed by my mother and grandmother, so is quite a bit overweight"

This is so nice to have this discussion thread. Now anytime I need a laugh, I can come back here and re-read these words. I just can't get over this. :-) I've gotta go visit another discussion thread now.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Like me, he has been drastically overfed by my mother and grandmother, so is quite a bit overweight"

This is so nice to have this discussion thread. Now anytime I need a..."

That wasn't the interpretation I intended when I wrote that sentence, but I confess that either interpretation is accurate. :-/

message 19: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jan 20, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "(I think he weighs somewhere around 100 pounds now)."

We were looking a dog currently in a rescue - a female Golden Retriever Mix who weights 100 lbs and is good with children. We inquired about her but the rescue recommended that she go to a family with "big kids" :-) She is very friendly and sweet "but she doesn't realize her own strength" they said. I'm only about 5 ft 4" myself and my 4 yr old daughter is really tiny :-) we agreed with the rescue - it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Tonight, we're meeting our first dog though :-) Our family is meeting Maggie, a 2 yr old Black Golden Retriever mix. If she's the one, we'll be bringing her home on Sunday (we have company visit Fri & Sat - don't want to add any more confusion to a dog trying to get settled in a new home :-) I guess black dogs are especially hard to place in homes - I don't understand this because the best dog I've ever had was black, her name was Lady :-)

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "...Our family is meeting Maggie, a 2 yr old Black Golden Retriever mix...."

With what breed is she mixed, a black Labrador Retriever, like mine?

message 21: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "With what breed is she mixed, a black Labrador Retriever, like mine?"

Yes, I'm pretty darn sure shes a Black Lab/Golden mix :-) Her picture & profile is on Golden Retriever Freedom Rescue's page (at least for now) There's currently one type-o where the person typing the info referred to her as "Sunny" Her name is Maggie :-) She only weighs about 50 lbs.
http://www.goldenretrieverfreedom.com...

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 147 comments Dustin wrote: "Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "(I think he weighs somewhere around 100 pounds now)."

We were looking a dog currently in a rescue - a female Golden Retriever Mix who weights 100 lbs and is good with ch..."

True, what you heard about black dogs being harder to place. In rescue, we've dubbed it the 'black dog syndrome' I have one idea, that perhaps they're not as easily seen when in the kennel run at shelters.
Kudos to you for waiting till after company is gone to bring her home.
I hope it is your time; like I said in an earlier post, you will all know if it is right :)

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "Yes, I'm pretty darn sure shes a Black Lab/Golden mix :-) Her picture & profile is on Golden Retrie..."

She looks perfect!

message 24: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

We got her :-) Actually, we did end up bringing her home Wednesday night and she has adjusted very very well. She was in an "all-kill" shelter in Missouri - I guess they kill the animals if not adopted within 5 days. She arrived in Colorado on Sunday January 17th and was placed in a foster home. After talking to Maggie's foster mom, we decided it would be better to bring her home sooner rather than later. Maggie is actually a Flat-Coated Retriever :-) Flat-Coated Retrievers are believed to be the closest ancestor to Golden Retrievers. I googled Flat-Coated Retriever and the pictures look just like Maggie - she is leaner than a Golden and doesn't have the broad skull like a Golden.
Anyway, we've been having lots of fun. Maggie loves Frisbees! She doesn't so much like to play fetch but likes to play "keep away" - she's so funny. My son loves her and we couldn't have hand-picked a better dog for our family. Maggie's foster mom was told she might have Maggie longer than usually because she was black - well it turned out that Maggie was the quickest-placed dog that this foster family had come through their home :-) We were one of three names given to the foster family and they choose which one is the best fit and calls them first - we were the first call last Tuesday evening and we took her home the following evening. I guess many people want either only a pure breed, male, female, etc. We only cared about personality and temperament.
Maggie has already overcome her fear of stairs and soon she might feel comfortable going in the back yard alone :-) She is learning to walk next to my wife's wheelchair and getting used to the children.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan (Nutz4Books) Congratulations, Dustin! It sounds like a great match, and I hope it works out wonderfully for all of you. I'm glad you wanted a rescued dog and also that you were flexible. So many people miss out on wonderful dogs because they aren't open to looking at dogs other than what they had imagined. And it is true that black dogs, especially large black dogs, usually take longer to place. They often aren't as easily photographed so don't get as much attention when placed on sites like petfinder.com, and some people think they look mean.

Now we need pictures! Of course, getting her settled in is more important. :-)

message 26: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jan 24, 2010 09:21PM) (new)

I now have two pictures of Maggie on my Goodreads profile. Goodreads only lets users add up to 5 additional pictures besides the one chosen to represent you on the site :-) You can add pictures in discussions also - it's just kinda tricky, but I'll try to add one that's not on my profile... sometime :-)

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "...She was in an "all-kill" shelter in Missouri - I guess they kill the animals if not adopted within 5 days...."

:-O :'-(

message 28: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Luckily, a retriever rescue volunteer happened to visit the shelter and saw Maggie. She's really sweet and loving. We were told that a family left her at the shelter because "she was too much work" - we don't know much about her background but she's doing great. She rides really well in the van and she loves the backyard. She is still scared of sudden movements or noises but oddly she doesn't mind the vacuum. I actually tried to vacuum her since she seemed to like the vacuum so much - I thought it'd be rather efficient but she wasn't too keen on the idea so we're sticking with brushing :-)

The only issue that's really a problem is she barks at children. Most of the time she does fine but occasionally she will growl or bark at the kids. Today she watched out our front window and would bark at the neighbor kids across the street. She doesn't bark at other dogs. She's not a barker at all, but occasionally she'll act as my wife's protector as if the kids are a threat. I've wondered if she came from a family where the small children beat the parents with their toys - I can only guess (and I have an overactive imagination :-)

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "...I actually tried to vacuum her since she seemed to like the vacuum so much - I thought it'd be rather efficient but she wasn't too keen on the idea so we're sticking with brushing :-)
"

:-D

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan (Nutz4Books) What a pretty girl! These are the first pics I've seen because I couldn't find them on the rescue site, a few days after you posted the link.

I hope she'll fit in well with a little time. Heaven only knows what her previous life was like. Lots of well-supervised socialization will help. Good luck.

message 31: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 147 comments Under supervision, you might want to let your kids groom and feed her.

message 32: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Now you just need several dozen nicknames for her. That's what I do with Tuvok and what I have done with all my animal companions in the past. He responds to all of them too, though I am fairly certain he is responding to the inflection in my voice when I call him, for the most part, because it is consistent and unique.

message 33: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 147 comments I foster Saint Bernards, own one Saint and a Lab mix. When I call ANY of them, they ALL come 'a runnin lol

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Tom wrote: "I foster Saint Bernards, own one Saint and a Lab mix. When I call ANY of them, they ALL come 'a runnin lol"

Wow, with dogs like those, such a stampede might trigger an earthquake! :-D

message 35: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 147 comments indeed.
one big male [Keebler:] that I've had for longer than I'd like is becoming territorial, guarding 'his' property. New neighbors moved in next door; I gave them a bag of treats to try to help socializing him.

message 36: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Susan wrote: "What a pretty girl! These are the first pics I've seen because I couldn't find them on the rescue site, a few days after you posted the link.

I hope she'll fit in well with a little time. Heav..."

Her profile was taken off the rescue site last Thursday because we adopted her on Wednesday night.

Yes, she'll be fine as she gets more comfortable and secure - I think she's already realizing that she's here to stay rather than just here for a few days until she goes somewhere else again. She's seeing familiar faces :-) This is day 5 of being home. She only spent 3 days in her foster home. I think she's already adjusted remarkably well :-)

message 37: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Now you just need several dozen nicknames for her. That's what I do with Tuvok and what I have done with all my animal companions in the past. He responds to all of them too, though I am fairly cer..."

My wife says that Maggie's full name is Margaret Ann and she calls her Mags for short. I just call her Maggie :-)

message 38: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Tom wrote: "Under supervision, you might want to let your kids groom and feed her."

They are already taking turns feeding her and that's going well. Grooming with the kids might take a little time :-)

She's really great with the kids for the most part. She'll play with them in the backyard or with tug toys, and she welcomes their hugs if she's lying down. Sometimes the barking/growling occurs when she just tired or if the kids arrive all of sudden - which is perfectly understandable.

I think it was Friday when my wife & son took Maggie on a walk to the park. At the park, Maggie started kinda circling my wife's wheelchair and barking at my son. We're not exactly sure what triggered that episode but they all managed to walk home without anyone calling the police :-)

:-) Maggie would never bite or hurt the kids and I think the barking/growling is something that will get better with time. Really, she's fitting in great! My daughter would rather just play with her toy pups in her imaginary world but my son is having a blast with Maggie!

message 39: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Susan wrote: "I'm glad you wanted a rescued dog and also that you were flexible. So many people miss out on wonderful dogs because they aren't open to looking at dogs other than what they had imagined. And it is true that black dogs, especially large black dogs, usually take longer to place. They often aren't as easily photographed so don't get as much attention when placed on sites like petfinder.com, and some people think they look mean.
"

Golden Retriever Freedom Rescue was very good to work with :-) When the volunteer did the home visit she pointed out the metal edging that we have in our backyard and I put a plastic cap on it almost 75 ft! That was the only thing we had to do. They were very reasonable. I'm glad she pointed out the trim because the way Maggie runs around around our yard I can see how it could really hurt her or the children.

I've looked at some rescues online and they don't seem very inviting - almost as if they want to discourage potential adopters from adopting. An example I'm going to point out is the Colorado Pug Rescue. I think it's important to list all the facts about what caring for a pug entails but they have gone so extreme.... I'll post the link so you can read for yourself.

message 41: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I don't know :-) on second reading it seems like good information but the first time I read all this info including the flyer (accessed through the click button) it seemed like an awful lot of negative info - I guess it's how they weed out not so serious applicants. :-) But anyway, some rescues are easier to work with than others.

message 42: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

On PBS there is this cartoon of a talking dog named Martha. Watching the show makes me laugh not just because of the talking dog but because Martha is also the name of my mother-in-law :-)

message 43: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "On PBS there is this cartoon of a talking dog named Martha. Watching the show makes me laugh not just because of the talking dog but because Martha is also the name of my mother-in-law :-)"

Why, is your mother-in-law a talking dog also? ;-)

message 44: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Why, is your mother-in-law a talking dog also? ;-)."

Some would say so. But I cannot further comment because she might join goodreads sometime.

The following story really has no point - I just wrote it because I did:

So we have these barking dogs next door. One is a little one like from Taco Bell. The other is an aged black lab. Today, I looked out my front window and saw the black lab walking along our street, going in other neighbors yards, crossing the street, walking down the sidewalk. So, I decide I better go let the neighbors (I don't even know these people but I certainly know their dogs) know their dog is out wandering the street. My wife says she's seen the dog out before - I've only seen her in the backyard (which doesn't have a tall enough fence in one section). I went to the door, knocked and rang the bell but nobody answered except the little dog inside. While I was on their front step, the black dog noticed me and started barking at me and came back across the street so I decided I'd try to get her - the dog was actually really nice when I knelt down she came right to me, stopped barking and I was able to grab her collar. I tried the door again but nobody was answering so I'm thinking okay do I take this dog home until they get home or do I try to get her back over the fence (there is no gate on the neighbor's fence but the fence is pretty low :-) I decided I'd just try the door and see if it was open - it was, so I put the dog inside. I have high hopes that eventually the old black lab & I can be friends even though she barked at us again tonight when I took Maggie out in our backyard :-)

message 45: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jan 29, 2010 10:05PM) (new)

Susan,
I found this great animal rescue ;-) Ever heard of it?
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/4pa...
petfinder is a great tool :-)

So, how many happy critters do you have living under your roof? I'm assuming that one of them is featured on your profile picture :-)

message 46: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Here's a link to Martha Speaks :-) with video clips:
http://pbskids.org/martha/parentsteac...

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan (Nutz4Books) Yep, 4PAWS Rescue is the group I used to work with -- thanks for the plug. It's small and chronically short of foster homes, but still helps to solve the overall problem of unwanted dogs. Petfinder.com is a great resource for people looking to adopt and for small groups especially who can't get in the public eye easily otherwise.

I'll post a picture on my profile of Sophie, Jade, and Maggie Mae (yes, I have a Maggie, too) if I can find it. All are dogs no one else wanted. I have two adopted cats, one still mostly feral who lives in the laundry room or behind the parson's bench in the livingroom most of the time, by choice. The other is very outgoing. My pitbull mix chose him -- he was the only cat that didn't seem afraid of him. We lost that dog to a brain tumor about 3 years ago, and I still miss him.

message 48: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Feb 03, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Last night, it was so nice to sit down and watch All Dogs Go To Heaven: The series with our family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Dogs...
I didn't even know they made a series but when my wife requested All Dogs Go To Heaven, this is what we got :-)

Maggie enjoys watching dog movies :-) The second day she was home, we watched Because of Winn-Dixie. We'll be watching Milo & Otis soon :-)

I love the theme song for All Dogs Go To Heaven: The Series, so I wrote down the lyrics:

People say it's quite a way to heaven - many miles beyond a distant star.
Now, I know that all dogs go to heaven, but until we chase our dreams that far,

We will find a little heaven everywhere around us,
find a little heaven everywhere we are.

This might not be paradise,
but boy, it sure is fun!
And we're not perfect angels - why pretend?
Through funny times and sad ones,
lucky breaks and bad ones,
we always come out smiling in the end!

We find a little heaven everywhere around us,
find a little heaven, you and I, my friend.

message 49: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Here's a youtube video from the original All Dogs Go to Heaven movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EDP9...

message 50: by Rhys (last edited Feb 19, 2010 11:16PM) (new)

Rhys | 13 comments Wow...I have been looking for a group/s that could openly and happily share and discuss dog stuff...

I have a dog named Nicolo, well, that's his complete name.. :) and he's adorably called Nicky...He's a black labrador dog. I love him so much to the point that I do not bother myself looking for a boyfriend. Nicky is a boyfriend, a best friend, a brother and an occasional pain in the ass. We got him when he was a month old and now a big dog with so much stories to talk about. I remember how I rushed him frantically to his vet because I thought he got a leukemia...( ok that's overstatement.. :)). Oh i love him so much more than any human in this planet. Actually, he's the number two in my list. :)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Special Friend (other topics)
A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog (other topics)
The Art of Racing in the Rain (other topics)