Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Odd Thomas discussion

This book is no go in my opinion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 83) (83 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Bikenbeth (new)

Bikenbeth I could not get into this book. I could never get a sense of time/place. I felt disconnected and as if there was another book I should have read prior to this one.

Sally Wolf This is the first book how much of the book did you read?

Aline Gomez Oh it's a great book. Odd... but great.

Dick Peterson Odd Thomas was good, but Watchers was the best thing that ever oozed out of Koontz's pen. Wayyyyyy good.

message 5: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Krow Dick wrote: "Odd Thomas was good, but Watchers was the best thing that ever oozed out of Koontz's pen. Wayyyyyy good."

Agree, Watchers was an excellent book.

Aline Gomez Just to share, I got interested with this book because of one character in "The Bad Place" named Thomas, the one with down syndrome. Koontz's characters are really interesting

message 7: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Coy I loved this book! I continued to read the whole series..not all of the others were as good as Odd Thomas..but I still LOVED it! I felt like I could just "feel" his characters!

Otto Loved Odd Thomas. I've always thought of it as a sequel to the Sixth Sense (despite a few details). My favorite Koontz book so far.

Cherylcali "turn the page" This was a great book. Such a in depth character. Read the whole series.

Nora aka Diva Loved the series!

Brandi Striegel As with any well written fiction book, I found myself deeply connecting with the character of Odd. I like him very much, so much in fact, that I found it easy to get swept into the Odd Thomas series.

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Faulkner I really enjoyed this book, very readable but I did get the impression Koontz didn't think through his explinations and ending very well.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I loved these books, as did my 16 yr old son. Koontz really makes his characters real.

message 14: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Krull I have read all of Koontz's books, I use to live in the same city and know all of the places in So. Cal that he talks about in his books. My first was Twilight Eyes, I kept wondering if this was a true story for awhile. Watchers was his best but I liked them all. The first of the Odd Thomas series was just OK and even though I read them all I really did not enjoy this series. I am still a Dean Koontz fan.

message 15: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Racklyeft I loved this book and all the rest in the series! I am not sure whether I want to see it made into a movie though.....

Kirby I've also read all (or very nearly all) of koontz's books (which probably contributed to the decline of my enjoyment level) but haven't cared for any of the more recent ones, including this series. I like the older ones, but not the oldest- that middle area, once he hit his stride but before they became so formulaic and predictable.

Emtee Odd Thomas is a special kind of read. It's not for the type of person who wants instant gratification. It's a slow, slow burn. I read these books years ago... and although I don't remember the particulars, I remember truly liking Odd Thomas as a person/character. And I remember crying like a baby at the end for Odd. How can that not be a good read?

Kelly Jones I love Odd Thomas have red all of them, some books do take a bit of getting into have experienced that myself but this was worth the read :)

Sabine Reed I love all of Dean Koontz books...but somehow this one failed to pull me in as much.

Lauren This was my first Dean Koontz I read. I absolutely loved it and have read most of the series. I agree with previous posters saying that this one is the best, and yep Emtee slow burn is the perfect way to describe.

Rachel Emtee wrote: "Odd Thomas is a special kind of read. It's not for the type of person who wants instant gratification. It's a slow, slow burn. I read these books years ago... and although I don't remember the part..."

I wholeheartedly agree. I loved these books, happy to have discovered them later, when they were all released, so there was no wait in between the cover of the first through the last.

Alice For me Odd is Koontz's best work by far..it touches your magick somehow

Trish I, too, liked Odd's stories. The end of the last one left me cold, though, and I can't be happy with them as a whole until SOME kind of resolution is brought 'round. I hope that's soon and in ANY format Koontz likes.

Cherie I liked Odd Thomas and read all of them in the series. I also grew up in the same area as Koontz and love to see a landmark or place I remember in his books.

Alice Trish wrote: "I, too, liked Odd's stories. The end of the last one left me cold, though, and I can't be happy with them as a whole until SOME kind of resolution is brought 'round. I hope that's soon and in ANY..."

I have to agree with that, we haven't seen much on Odd since Koontz got him into graphic novels

Trish Hey, if they'll give me answers to the last Odd "pure" book in one of the graphic novels, I'd be glad to take it.

Giansar I've read a lot Koontz and some of the books failed to grip me but this one was definitely one of the best ones. I also regard it the best in the series although the sequels weren't bad at all.

message 28: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Odd Thomas is simply one of the most lovable characters Koontz has created.

Sabrina I actually listened to the audio version of all of Dean's Odd books and the way it was told definitely got me into the story. I've loved them ever since:)The stories have and will always stick with me;)

message 30: by Cyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyn Bagley I loved Odd Thomas stories and the Watcher. The rest of the stories I would read because I was a fan of Dean Koontz, but not because I enjoyed them. I also like his other two book series (not the Frankenstein one).

The thing I really enjoy about Odd Thomas is that feeling of strange and surreal he captured on the page. Although there is some linearity to it, it also has that sideways glimpse of the world that you find in fantasy.

Cyn

message 31: by Kurt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kurt Van Deusen Cyn wrote: "I loved Odd Thomas stories and the Watcher. The rest of the stories I would read because I was a fan of Dean Koontz, but not because I enjoyed them. I also like his other two book series (not the F..." I thought the title of the first Odd Thomas book was "Fear Nothing"?

Kirby Kurt wrote: "Fear Nothing
The second was called "Seize the Night". Then came "odd Thomas"."

I loved the moonlight bay series! although, do 2 really make a series?

Barbara C I personally thought they were a hoot. I had no idea that Koontz was so witty.

message 34: by Cyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyn Bagley Thanks Kurt and Kirby -
And to answer your question Kirby- it was the first time that Dean Koontz did a character for two books so that makes it a series for him. ;-)

Before that he was doing one character for one book.

Cyn

message 35: by Cyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyn Bagley I did forget Bad Place - another great book. I used to get Koontz newsletters a long time ago. Bad Place with the down syndrome character is the basis of Odd Thomas - at least that is what Koontz said.

Donna I used to be a huge Koontz fan, but then for years couldn't read him because I was sick to death of seeing the same things in every story (same dog, same lamps, same plants, same characters, etc etc).
Odd Thomas was how I got back into Koontz, but I must say the first two Odd books were good, but the last two sucked big time, especially the last one.

Barbara C I have to agree on that that the 1st 2 were really good, but I didn't finish the 3rd. I also did the same I use to read all his stuff and then it got repeditive until "Brother Odd".

Barbara C Actually I meant "Odd Thomas"

Chris I loved this book until the end, I was super pissed off!

swore I wouldn't read the rest, but a week or two later I decided to continue anyways.

message 40: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg Come on, have you people read Velocity or Intensity? These books kept me up at night because I was always going to finish this chapter and then go to bed. THAT didn't happen.

David Morgan I agree with most of the people on here. I thought Odd Thomas was great. Ol' Odd was such a cool, fun character. I do have to agree also with Peg up above me, Intensity was awesome.

message 42: by Jessica (last edited Jan 24, 2012 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jessica I agree, I really did not enjoy this book. It was boring. Velocity and Intensity however were great!!!

message 43: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg I guess Odd is an acquired taste. I liked all of them but I do admit the last one was not my favorite and Brother Odd went off the mark a little with the mechanics. Koontz is such a good writer though I simply end up not caring so as to get on with the story. I wasn't thrilled with Twilight Eyes but loved the Bad Place. I am not a Koontz expert, truth to tell I've only read 7-10 of his books but I did get hooked on him reading Odd and plan to plow through as much of his old and new stuff as I can. I hear Watchers is terrific.

message 44: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, horror, action thriller and downright originality! Koontz is amazing! I read so many without keeping track that my problem now is which ones have I read and which ones haven't I?

message 45: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg Isn't that why we're all here? To kind of keep track? I kept a booklist on my computer but when I got a new one the new word program wouldn't read the old list so I had to patch it together. I know I'm missing lots. Like I've recently discovered that I don't have about 8 books listed by Archer Mayor that I've read. Maybe I'm a little OC about it but I once reread a book I did not like (years in between) and I hate wasting my time like that especially when I could be reading something I like.

Kirby yeah, that's part of why I love this site, being able to keep track...it's awesome!

message 47: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe It surprises me to no end that this book gets such mixed reviews. The Odd Thomas series is what got me started with Dean Koontz. I have since read many of his other novels. As bad as this may sound, I especially like the creepiness of some of his characters. There have been times where his words will just jump out and scare the bajesus out of me. I totally admire his ability to do just that.

David I loved the Odd Thomas series. But I do feel that lately Koontz's work has been seriously below par. I used to rush out to buy his books as soon as they came out, but I haven't his last couple.

message 49: by Nora aka Diva (last edited Jan 29, 2012 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora aka Diva David wrote: "I loved the Odd Thomas series. But I do feel that lately Koontz's work has been seriously below par. I used to rush out to buy his books as soon as they came out, but I haven't his last couple."

You should get 77 Shadow Street, it's worth it. Koontz seems to have finally gotten back his mojo or something with this one.

David Thanks for the tip Nora. I'll check it out. Dean was my favourite author for a long time.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Odd Thomas (other topics)
Fear Nothing (other topics)