Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2010 Challenge Archive > January - Pick It For Me! Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 139) (139 new)    post a comment »

Kasia Who's up for this month's Pick-It-For-Me challenge? I know the end of the year is a little crazy (like, as you see I'm late with this thread, SORRY!), but it should calm down a bit in January, right?

What's a Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?
It's a group recommend a book thing - works just like a Secret Santa or Xmas Exchange, except that the gift is replaced by a book recommendation. Just like in Secret Santa, the givee-giver pairings are randomly assigned. So whomever you get, you recommend a book for them. Preferably it should be something new and unfamiliar to your givee, NOT a book from their to-read list - the point is to introduce new books and new authors. In return, you'll have a book recommended to you (sometimes you might get a few options to choose from). After you're done reading your Pick-It-For-Me book, a short post with some feedback - a mini-review of sorts would be appreciated.

For this challenge, you need either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC (preferable) or make the person who'd be doing the recommending to you your friend. On top of that, I strongly advise keeping your bookshelves updated, otherwise you might end up with a recommendation for something that you have already read.

Signing up period will remain open until the 29th. You'll have time untill ~the 2nd to make your recommendations

message 3: by Kasia (last edited Dec 31, 2009 08:03AM) (new)

Kasia ***************************************************************
SIGN-UP IS NOW OFFICIALLY CLOSED

Rossy
picks for Katherine
Yz
picks for Tosca
Mary
picks for Yz
Annie
picks for Photojim
Ahrcadia
picks for Michelle
Jan
picks for UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~*
Debbie
picks for Ahrcadia
Michelle
picks for Lenore
Mrs. Soule
picks for Rossy
Amanda
picks for Mary
Photojim
picks for LibraryLass
Ari
picks for Cathy
Annvelwis
picks for Jan
Melissa (So Cal Gal)
picks for Annvelwis
UniquelyMoi
picks for Amanda
Tosca
picks for UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~*
Lenore
picks for Mrs. Soule
LibraryLass
picks for Annie (a mad hamster)
Kasia
picks for Ari
Cathy
picks for Melissa (So Cal Gal)
Katherine
picks for Debbie

message 4: by Kasia (last edited Jan 01, 2010 12:26PM) (new)

Kasia January Recommendations:

Rossy recommended for Katherine: Kiss of Midnight
Yz
recommended for Tosca: Parallel Attraction
Mary
recommended for Yz: Midnight's Daughter
Annie
recommended for Photojim: His Majesty's Dragon
Ahrcadia
recommended for Michelle: In the Serpent's Coils
Jan
recommended for UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~*: Night Falls Darkly
Debbie
recommended for Ahrcadia: Any Given Doomsday
Michelle
recommended for Lenore: Slave to Sensation
Mrs. Soule
recommended for Rossy:
Amanda
recommended for Mary: Vampire Academy
Photojim
recommended for LibraryLass:
Ari
recommended for Cathy: Evil Without a Face
Annvelwis
recommended for Jan: Soulless
Melissa (So Cal Gal)
recommended for Annvelwis: Almost Human
UniquelyMoi
recommended for Amanda: Dangerous Highlander
Tosca
recommended for UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~*: Must Love Hellhounds
Lenore
recommended for Mrs. Soule: Once Bitten Twice Shy
LibraryLass
recommended for Annie (a mad hamster): I Am Not Esther
Kasia
recommended for Ari: Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Cathy
recommended for Melissa (So Cal Gal):
Katherine
recommended for Debbie: Slave to Sensation

Katherine (kebrand0112) | 158 comments I would like to try this. I've never done on of these before.

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Et moi aussi - me, too, please and thank you :)

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8890 comments I'm in.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Here's a challenge I can always get behind. Pick me! Pick me! Don't make me be the last one on the kickball team. Please!

Michelle tosca wrote: "Et moi aussi - me, too, please and thank you :)"
Tosca,
I just want you know I didn't forget about your Dec. pick for me. I'm reading it now.

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Dec 28, 2009 01:21PM) (new)

Michelle I'd like to participate too.

Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (BraintasiaBooks) | 177 comments I'm in! Sounds exciting :)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 56 comments Sure I'll bite. Sounds interesting.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2191 comments I'm back, so am in!LOL

Mary E. (jujjy) | 125 comments I cannot resist a reading project or challenge. I'm in. :)

LibraryLass | 772 comments Am I too late?!!! If not, I'm in too.

Cathy C | 346 comments Count me in.

Jan (authorsidekick) Me too. I want to try this one. :)

Annvelwis | 671 comments I'm in :)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 206 comments I'm in!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I'd love to give this a shot!

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 253 comments Please sign me up!

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Me too!

Ari (moochew12) | 159 comments I shall do it again.

Melissa (So Cal Gal) | 35 comments I am in, thanks!

Debbie  (onyx95) | 2757 comments Is it too late for me to jump in on this one? I hope not, I would really like to join! :)

message 26: by Kasia (last edited Dec 30, 2009 04:09AM) (new)

Kasia ***************************************************************
SIGN-UP IS NOW OFFICIALLY CLOSED

Kasia Ari, I have 2 recommendations for you at the moment:

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - I just finished it and it's absolutely delightful - funny, fastpaced, heartbreaking. (In tone it reminded me a little of I Capture the Castle) If you're into audiobooks, I listened to Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day narrated by Frances McDormand and it was perfection.

Another one is Soulless, because I think you're into period pieces. It's a fun gripping read. Both of those books are.

That's all I've got for now, I'll try to think of some more and get back to you...

message 28: by Michelle (last edited Dec 30, 2009 12:28PM) (new)

Michelle Lenore

After looking at your shelves, I'm hoping you might find at least one of these interesting:

1. Fallen by Lauren Kate
2. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
3. Lament The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater
4. Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh

Let me know if none of those work for you. I took that compatability test and scored pretty high so I'm sure I can find something for you :)

message 29: by Mary E. (last edited Dec 30, 2009 08:08AM) (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 125 comments Wow Yz, I got paired up with you, talk about pressure LOL!

I did notice that (shockingly) there are a few titles that I've read and enjoyed that are not on your list. I don't know if it's because they just aren't your thing, or if you just haven't gotten around to them yet. I do tend to lean more towards UF these days, so if nothing here twirls your beanie let me know and I will try again. :)

The Dorina Basarab series by Karen Chance, starting with (the prequel) Buying Trouble, then (book 1) Midnight's Daughter. Death's Mistress (book 2) is due out Jan 5th. You're not required to have read the entire Cassandra Palmer series to enjoy this spin-off, but I see you've read a few of them already.

I see you haven't yet explored Faith Hunter. I've enjoyed her Thorn St. Croix series to date, starting with Bloodring A Rogue Mage Novel. Also, the first book in her Jane Yellowrock series, Skinwalker, was awesome. The second book, Blood Cross, is also due out Jan 5th.

I noticed you've started Richelle Mead's Georgina Kincaid series. You might also like her Dark Swan series, starting with Storm Born.

And I will also suggest C.E. Murphy's Walker Papers series, starting with Urban Shaman.

Buying Trouble by Karen Chance Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Bloodring (Thorn St. Croix, Book 1) by Faith Hunter Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1) by C.E. Murphy

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Library Lass, I'm visiting family in Pennsylvania and have VERY LIMITED internet time for the next couple of days. I'll be home on Friday and will have a recommendation for you then. sorry for the delay.

However, if you would like one to start in the meantime, I'd go with Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie. Fun and light.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Amanda, I looked over your shelves and I have a few suggestions. I hope you'll find something there you like.

1. For the Roses by Julie Garwood. I just finished this one and absolutely loved it!
2. The Bride also by Garwood. Another one I loved.
3. Dangerous Highlander which just came out yesterday. It's book 1 in a new series.
4. To the Edge by Cindy Gerard is book 1 of her romantic suspense series, The Bodyguards.
5. Just for fun, I love the Uppity Women series. Each book is filled with stories about women who actually lived and their actions...not conforming to societies expectations, have given them the honor of being considered uppity.
Uppity Women of Medieval TimesUppity Women of Ancient TimesUppity Women of the RenaissanceUppity Women of the New World

Uppity Women of Medieval Times by Vicki Leon Uppity Women of Ancient Times by Vicki Leon Uppity Women of the Renaissance by Vicki Leon Uppity Women of the New World (Uppity Women Series) by Vicki Leon The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees, #1) by Julie Garwood For the Roses (Rose, #1) by Julie Garwood To the Edge (Bodyguard, #1) by Cindy Gerard Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1) by Donna Grant

message 32: by Melissa (So Cal Gal) (last edited Dec 30, 2009 09:19AM) (new)

Melissa (So Cal Gal) | 35 comments Annvilwise,

I see you really like vampire themed books (I love the Sookie Stackhouse ones), so I did a little research on some that have had good reviews and you may enjoy and came to these few:

Almost Human - Volume 1 - Fatal Infatuation (there are actually 3 books in this series)

Cirle Trilogy by Nora Roberts

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Hi Photojim - hope you are having / had fun with the family.

I get to return the favour!

It was so hard sticking to just a few books. As I live in New Zealand, it's hard to know what books you might be able to track down. Instead, I've gone with 3 books in 3 different categories. As I do this, I realise how much I love Regency period books!

Fantasy:
Beguilement by Lois Mcmaster Bujold. First in a series. Fantasy and romance and great world-building.
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik. Napoleonic War naval battles with dragons!
Overtime by Tom Holt. Comic fantasy starring Blondel, Richard the Lionheart's minstrel, and Guy, a World War Two pilot.

Historical romance:
Second Sight by Amanda Quick. First in the Arcane Society series. The series moves from Victorian England to modern day (those ones are written under Jayne Ann Krentz). The Arcane Society is for people with paranormal abilities.
The Lady Killer first in a trilogy about women working undercover in the Napoleonic Wars.
The Pretender by Celeste Bradley. Regency spies, yet again.

Georgette Heyer:
I didn't see any Georgette Heyer's on your shelves - and thought I'd nag you to at least think about reading one. She is the doyenne of historical romances. Great writing, good characters - but no sex, of course.
Here are my top three picks:
The Toll-Gate - Napoleonic War veteran meets strong-willed female in the midst of murder and chaos.
These Old Shades - the ultimate, I suppose. His Grace the Duke of Avon is stunning.
A Civil Contract - out of the ordinary. An arranged marriage between poor nobleman and daughter of a wealthy 'cit'. What I love is the way the relationship grows and develops, although it wasn't a love match.

So - I've broken the rules - but hopefully there's something here you can find - and like!

message 34: by Ari (last edited Dec 30, 2009 12:25PM) (new)

Ari (moochew12) | 159 comments Hi Kasia! Those both sound really fun. I think I'll try the first one, it's gotten good raves it looks like. Then I can watch the movie, have you seen it? (If so, what is it like??) I also love the idea of Soulless so I might pick that up from the library too. Thanks for the ideas!

Cathy:
I looked on your profile page, and noticed that you really enjoy suspense and paranormal. So here are a few books I found. They also got pretty good reviews.
First book is...
Evil Without a Face by Jordan Dane. It is a thriller and romantic suspense with tons of action.
Then there is Untraceable by Laura Griffin. This is more of a mystery suspense.
And lastly, a paranormal book that looks to possibly be apart of a series:
How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks. Some people found it to be kinda funny.
If none of these books work out, let me know. I'm happy to find something else!=D

LibraryLass | 772 comments Photojim wrote: "Library Lass, I'm visiting family in Pennsylvania and have VERY LIMITED internet time for the next couple of days. I'll be home on Friday and will have a recommendation for you then. sorry for th..."

No worries about the delay PhotoJim. I can't source the Welcome to temptation book which is a bumma cos it sounds good!

message 36: by Rossy (last edited Dec 30, 2009 05:35PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2191 comments Katherine, it seems like you enjoy paranormal so i'm recommending one not on your TBR shelf.

1. Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian

I have also recommended other genres in case you want to try something new. Let me know if you're in the mood to read something else and i'll think on other options.

2. Saffron Skies by Lesley Lokko
3. Watermelon by Marian Keyes

4. Twisted Creek by Jodi Thomas
5. It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Hey LibraryLass! We Kiwi librarians get to stick together!

message 38: by Amanda A (last edited Dec 30, 2009 06:39PM) (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 206 comments Mary, I enjoyed looking through your shelves. I really enjoyed all of these suggestions and I hope you'll find something you like. Happy New Year!

Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione
Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Naked in Death by J.D. Robb
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Naked in Death (In Death #1) by J.D. Robb Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 206 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Amanda, I looked over your shelves and I have a few suggestions. I hope you'll find something there you like.

1. For the Roses by Julie Garwood. I just finished this one and absol..."

Thanks for such wonderful suggestions! I think I'll probably go with one of the Julie Garwood books, but the rest are going on my to-read shelf too. :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Amanda wrote: "Thanks for such wonderful suggestions! I think I'll probably go with one of the Julie Garwood books, but the rest are going on my to-read shelf too. :)..."

Oh, good! I'm glad you like the choices. I can't wait to hear what you chose and what you thought.

message 41: by Debbie (last edited Dec 30, 2009 06:56PM) (new)

Debbie  (onyx95) | 2757 comments Ahrcadia This was difficult, I noticed you liked Paranormal and Young Adult as well as Urban Fantasy, but you have most of the ones that I would normally recommend. I did come up with a few choices for you....

Hush, Hush
Storms of Visions (1st of a series)
The Iron Hunt (1st of a series)
Any Given Doomsday (1st of a series)
American Gods

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1) by Christina Dodd The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu Any Given Doomsday (Phoenix Chronicles, #1) by Lori Handeland American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Mary E. (jujjy) | 125 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Amanda! I've been eyeing the Demonica series for some time, so I think I will go with Pleasure Unbound. WOW, my January TBR shelf is looking pretty juicy with all the recommendations and challenges, I can't wait to dig in! If only I can finish my very last 2009 book in one more day. Happy reading, all! :)

message 43: by Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (last edited Dec 30, 2009 10:50PM) (new)

Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (BraintasiaBooks) | 177 comments Great suggestions, Debbie. Since I'm a series kinda girl, I think I'll be reading Any Given Doomsday, despite my hatred of the name Liz.

Any Given Doomsday (Phoenix Chronicles, #1) by Lori Handeland

Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (BraintasiaBooks) | 177 comments Michelle, I haven't read a lot of the things on your list, so I just based my recommendations on what I have read, and the descriptions for the rest. If you don't like my suggestions, then just hit me up for some different ones with a pointer in the right direction :)

1. Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Book 1, Blue Bloods)
2. In the Serpent's Coils by Tiffany Trent (Book 1, Hallowmere)
3. Wicked Witch & Curse by Nancy Holder (Books 1 & 2, Wicked)
4. The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint
5. The Hidden Dragon by Irene Radford (Book 1, Stargods)
6. Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter (Book 1, Alien Huntress)
7. The Long Fall by Walter Mosley (Book 1, Leonid McGill)
Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz In the Serpent's Coils (Hallowmere, #1) by Tiffany Trent Wicked  Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2) by Nancy Holder The Blue Girl (Newford, #15) by Charles de Lint The Hidden Dragon (The Stargods, 1) by Irene Radford Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter The Long Fall by Walter Mosley

message 45: by Michelle (last edited Dec 30, 2009 11:01PM) (new)

Michelle Ahrcadia ~(Fhantasie)~ wrote: "Michelle, I haven't read a lot of the things on your list, so I just based my recommendations on what I have read, and the descriptions for the rest. If you don't like my suggestions, then just hit..."

Well, Ahrcadia I can tell you right now that all of your suggestions look good to me, so I plan to read them all at some point. I'll go the used bookstore to see if any of your suggestions are there and whichever one I can get my hands on first is the one I'll read this month. For the Blue Girl by Charles de Lint, is it part of series with the same characters each book? I see that its book # 15. Thanks!

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Oohh I'm anticipating this will be an interesting month for Pick It For Me! Not only do I get to choose for UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* but Yz gets to select a title for me *squeals* I'm really looking forward to this :) Searching now...

LibraryLass | 772 comments Annie (a mad hamster) wrote: "Hey LibraryLass! We Kiwi librarians get to stick together!"

Hey Annie, Happy New Year!!!! I've been having a browse through your shelves. What an eclectic collection you have! In keeping with that I've tried to give you a choice from a bit of everything:

YA- Fleur Beale either I Am Not Esther or End of the Alphabet Kiwi author, I enjoyed both of these.

Hist/Rom - Julia Quinn The Duke And I, start of a fabulous hist/romance series

hist/rom/pnr - Karen Marie Moning Beyond the Highland Mist - has a bit of everything time travel, historical, fantasy, romance.

pnr/urban fantasy - Patricia Briggs Moon Called. This is shapeshifter/werewolf which wasn't my thing until I read this short (so far) series.

contemp/rom/mystery - Suzanne Enoch Flirting With Danger. This is a light romantic mystery with some humour thrown into the mix.

So hope you find something out of that lot, if not I'll try again no worries. =)

message 48: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8890 comments Mary wrote: "Wow Yz, I got paired up with you, talk about pressure LOL!

I did notice that (shockingly) there are a few titles that I've read and enjoyed that are not on your list. I don't know if it's because..."

Wow, Mary, lots of pretty good books here. I've added them all to my TBR list.

Now to choose which to read for the challenge. Decisions, decisions, decisions... :)

I'll let you know what I have decided upon a little bit later.

Annvelwis | 671 comments Jan,
I hope you'll find something there you like.
Soulless by Gail Carriger
Naked in Death by J.D. Robb
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Enjoy :)

message 50: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2009 05:06AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8890 comments tosca wrote: "Oohh I'm anticipating this will be an interesting month for Pick It For Me! Not only do I get to choose for UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* but Yz gets to select a title for me *squeals* I'm really lo..."

Talk about pressure! :)

Ok, tosca, here are my recommendations for you:

I've noticed you haven't read any of Deidre Knight's works so I'm recommending Red Fire (about bad-ass Spartan warriors) or Parallel Attraction (with a sexy alien prince). Both books are first of a series with great characters, compelling plots and intense emotions.

If they don't interest you, how about books with witches and witch hunters? Try Jennifer Lyon's Blood Magic.

And just an extra thing, the most recent book that almost made me cry, Zusak's The Book Thief.

Hope at least one of these would have caught your fancy.

Happy reading!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.