Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Welcome to Koontzland! > Do you collect books?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 383) (383 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Matt R. (last edited Dec 23, 2009 04:43AM) (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments Just wanted to get a discussion going on book collecting. Do you collect books/have you own personal library at home? Do you prefer hardcover or paperback? I have a collection of books at home which includes several Dean Koontz hardcovers and paperbacks. I prefer to read paperbacks, I just find them comfortable and easy "on the go". I can also fit many more paperbacks in a bookcase than hardcovers. Lately I find myself gravitating to mostly paperbacks. At some point, I would like to have all of Dean's books. I will probably end up getting all the paperbacks for the titles I do not have. If I had unlimited space I would probably get the hardcovers. My collection is not for "investment" or value, just personal reading fun. What about you?

message 2: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 4867 comments Mod
So glad to see a discussion thread that I didn't start :-) I don't really collect books anymore but if I was collecting - I'd go with Hardcover. I prefer reading Hardcover too. Lately I've been picking up mostly paperbacks at public library book sales.

message 3: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments What do people think about trade paperbacks? They seem to hold up better than a standard mass market paperback but they are also about $5 more per book. Most of my Koontz books at home are hardcovers, maybe I will stick with that for his books (although some of the out of print titles might be tougher to find).

message 4: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

You can find Koontz Hardcovers on Amazon sometimes. After the paperbacks come out, new bookstores don't usually care the Hardcover editions. I guess I have bad eyes - I'll go for the Large Print editions whenever I get a chance.

message 5: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments Yes, I've purchased some from Amazon. There are just so many editions of each book in print. Hardcover, mass market paperback, trade paperback etc. I'll be happy just owning each title over time. I have one shelf of my bookcase dedicated to Koontz.

message 6: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments Yes, I've purchased some from Amazon. There are just so many editions of each book in print. Hardcover, mass market paperback, trade paperback etc. I'll be happy just owning each title over time. I have one shelf of my bookcase dedicated to Koontz.

message 7: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Koontz doesn't get a full shelf in my bookcase :-) Maybe 3/4 of a shelf. I have his paperbacks (with all my mass market paperbacks) on a different shelf and Koontz Hardcovers are currently rooming on a shelf with Harry Potter.

message 8: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments I collect books. I have this crazy need to posess every book that I liked, every title by favourite authors...you get the drill. Sometimes I buy random books at used book stores or through the web. I also do this because English is not my native language and I'm biased towards translations - If I can help it, I don't want them :) Mainly because if I like a novel I want to read it as the author typed it, and as we know every translation is always an interpretation.
Currently I have 13 Koontz titles, 2 of them in hardcover (Strange Highways and Mr. Murder).

message 9: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I used to collect books but had to cut back on my book collection through a series of moves. I most recently moved in November and hopefully I'll be able to stay put for a while :-)

message 10: by Matt R. (last edited Dec 27, 2009 07:46PM) (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments Maciek wrote: "I collect books. I have this crazy need to posess every book that I liked, every title by favourite authors...you get the drill. Sometimes I buy random books at used book stores or through the web...."

Hi Maciek, I now own approx. 20 Koontz titles, half of them hardcover and the rest are paperbacks. I find it interesting what others collect and what their preferences are. I know some people who only want first edition/first printing hardcovers but I am not that particular. I basically like to get books from authors I enjoy. I also find it interesting that Koontz titles are translated into many different languages. There are so many different editions out there it is mind blowing.

message 11: by Maciek (last edited Dec 28, 2009 05:01AM) (new)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments Matt R. wrote: "Maciek wrote: "I collect books. I have this crazy need to posess every book that I liked, every title by favourite authors...you get the drill. Sometimes I buy random books at used book stores or t..."

I don't really care for the first editions (except for Harry Potter, which I plan to collect in hardcover - currently missing volumes 1 and 3). I just want a book - though hardcovers are more durable, paperback are easier to read and carry in bags/pockets. I'd like to have every book in hardcover, but I have about 90% of my collection in softcover/paperback, and don't make a fuss about it :)
In Poland, where I live, Koontz was very popular in the 90's. Amber publishing house issued a lot of his titles (both hardcover and paperback) from the 70's and 80's, along with most of Graham Masterton, James Herbert and several Stephen King novels in their "Horror" line. That's how I got to know those authors :)

message 12: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments I heard good things about Graham "The Man" Masterton. I have yet to read one of his books but I will have to check them out sometime. I agree, paperbacks are just more comfortable to read and most of my collection is also paperbacks as well.

message 13: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments I've read only two books by Graham: "Hair Raiser" which was very short and I remember that unfortunately very...stupid, and "The Pariah" which was a good horror story, considered his best by most of his fans. Most of his novels contain very graphic description of violence and sex, way more than in Koontz.

message 14: by Matt R. (last edited Dec 28, 2009 03:31PM) (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments Well, I don't like to read about excessive violence in books so perhaps I would not like Masterton. This is probably why I like Koontz because he is not too graphic, in my opinion.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (Nutz4Books) Do I collect books? I've collected a few old books, nothing valuable, just ones I like. I don't intentionally collect newer books, but they seem to find me anyway. I get a lot of books from the library, and the ones I buy are often nonfiction because that usually takes me longer to read than fiction. I have several Koontz books but am not organized enough to have them all neatly together. Ya think maybe that is why I occasionally buy a book I already own??

I like reading trade paperbacks because they are comfortable to hold but don't have miniscule type. I like hardbacks, too, although some are pretty bulky. I don't read a lot of mass market paperbacks because the type is usually small for me and the books don't hold up well. But hey, I'll read about anything I can get my hands on.

message 16: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments Matt R. wrote: "Well, I don't like to read about excessive violence in books so perhaps I would not like Masterton. This is probably why I like Koontz because he is not too graphic, in my opinion."

Early Koontz works such as The Vision are pretty graphic, but it's nothing compared to Masterton. I think you ough to try and borrow one of his books from the library to see if you'll like it :)

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine (Mivideloka) I've some Masterton ... he runs hot and cold for me. That being said, so do most authors. Definitely worth the read though.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine (Mivideloka) Maciek wrote: "I collect books. I have this crazy need to posess every book that I liked, every title by favourite authors...you get the drill. Sometimes I buy random books at used book stores or through the web...."

I soooooo understand the whole "need to posess every book" thing. Unfortunately space has limited me to favourite authors. The rest ... library visits.

message 19: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I'll have to look into this Masterton guy... I don't branch out much :-) but I'm trying to do better about trying new authors. Any recommendations on where to start with Masterton?

message 20: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments I spent the last year exploring various authors and reading more horror books. Some other authors worth checking out are Joe Hill (Heart Shaped Box was awesome), Bentley Little (I think Koontz “discovered” him years ago when he was a newer author), Douglas Clegg, Nate Kenyon and Gord Rollo. Dorchester Publishing (Leisure Books) has a horror book line with two new titles released each month.

message 21: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I've heard about Joe Hill and Bentley Little from discussions in the Stephen King Fans group.

message 22: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 666 comments Dustin wrote: "I'll have to look into this Masterton guy... I don't branch out much :-) but I'm trying to do better about trying new authors. Any recommendations on where to start with Masterton?"

Maybe his "Manitou" series ? "Manitou" was the first novel he published, and it set a kind of schedule for most of his work - there is a demon, demon manifests itself and people try to stop him.
Mind you I haven't read it, so it's kind of a blind recomendattion...maybe it will be the best to see the reviews ?

message 23: by Maicie (new)

Maicie | 32 comments Na, I don't collect books....I collect entire libraries (according to my tool-collecting husband). After Kindle has been around for awhile I may look into buying one. It would certainly take up less space. I just love the feel of books, though, and wonder how anyone could snuggle up in a chair with a piece of technology.

message 24: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments Hi Macie, I guess we all collect something after all! I like that you collect entire libraries. I have tried audio books, ebooks but nothing is better than the actual printed book. The technology is cool but I want the actual book. I still borrow books from libraries and I usually donate or trade in other books that I do not plan to keep but I do like having my own collection as well. I wonder what people do at the beach when they want to leave their chair and go in the water. I could easily leave a paperback on my chair at the beach but not a $400 e-device! Like everything, we all have our preferences.

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) Yes i'd say I collect books. If I like an author I keep his/her books. Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Jude Deveraux, Lavyrle Spencer, Tracy Hickman, Margaret Weis,& David Eddings are some I collect. I've just this past year started collecting Clive Barker, & Ann Rice.

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 147 comments As i wrote in my intro here, I'm a bibliophile :), and I do collect books. I don't own a lot of Koontz novels, but have most everything SK wrote, many 1st/1st, some signed (including UTD), some limited editions, some hard to find stories in general anthologies. I prefer HB when available, for their collectibility and lasting [usually increasing:] value. Many I have are first edition classics from the early 20th and late 19th Century. I own [should say my daughter does; this is an addicting and evidently genetic affliction:] all of HP 1st and sealed, both American and British editions. My collection probably numbers over a thousand books.

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments I collect books that I enjoy and want to preserve, so that others might enjoy them as I have. I don't really care whether a book is paperback or hardback, but I am very particular about the condition of the books I buy, as they must be new or like new, and I take very good care of them while reading. That is not even a concern with my Koontz books though, as they are all audio files stored on my computer. I have only ever listened to a Koontz book thus far, though I realize that cannot last much longer, as not all (or even most) of his books are on audio. Other authors I collect include Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, and Steven King, among others.

message 28: by Lori (last edited Jan 18, 2010 08:52AM) (new)

Lori (Barfield) I like the idea of books on audio for one reason, I get car sick reading while riding. But other then that I like my book in my hands. The feel, the smell, just the written word in front of me. And I take care of my books. I take the covers off hardback's when reading so I don't mess them up, I try not to bend the spin to awfull bad on a paperback, and I always use a bookmark. I HATE dogears on a book. There's no reason for dogears, you can use anything as a bookmark. If I lend,or give someone a book I always give a bookmark. I hope one of my grand kids will like to read, and like what I read so I can leave them all my books. So far my kids don't share my taste in books.

I just found a pair of airline tickets in one of my used books. Bet they were used as a bookmark! Looks like they came from Dallas Ft. Worth to Raleigh/Durham on American Airlines. It reads 1,061,miles. How cool? Raleigh is on my other side, about 1.5 hours, in good traffic. For this book to be where i found it it, it had to traveled at least 3 hours. How cool?

message 29: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Lori wrote: " I like the idea of books on audio for one reason, I get car sick reading while riding. But other then that I like my book in my hands. The feel, the smell, just the written word in front of me. An..."

I also get carsick reading. I have to confess - I bend the corners of books! :-) it's not to mark my place but rather to mark passages/quotes that stand out to me. If I borrowed the book from the library, I bend them back before returning the book. Of course if I own the book, those dog ears stay - marking my favorite parts :-)

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Lori wrote: " I like the idea of books on audio for one reason, I get car sick reading while riding. But other then that I like my book in my hands. The feel, the smell, just the written word in front of me. And I take care of my books. I take the covers off hardback's when reading so I don't mess them up, I try not to bend the spin to awfull bad on a paperback, and I always use a bookmark. I HATE dogears on a book. There's no reason for dogears, you can use anything as a bookmark. If I lend,or give someone a book I always give a bookmark...."

I get motion sickness if I read in a vehicle also, but I do not listen to audiobooks while driving, because I insist on devoting my full attention/concentration on them, so as to miss nothing, not a single nuance. I am paranoid about bending book spines, getting dirt smudges or stains on books, creasing pages (such as by the deplorable "dog-earing"), or having markings on the pages, such as highlighter or ink markings. The very thought of that stuff gives me the shivers. It's sacrilege, I say! ;-)

message 31: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "I am paranoid about bending book spines, getting dirt smudges or stains on books, creasing pages (such as by the deplorable "dog-earing"), or having markings on the pages, such as highlighter or ink markings. The very thought of that stuff gives me the shivers. It's sacrilege, I say! ;-)"

You sound just like Dean himself - he's such a neat freak! Everyone tells me I'm OCD but I think some people have got it much worse than I. I find it interesting that a lot of Koontz bad guys in his books are OCD :-) Which is why I kept thinking that the Henry character in Breathless had a lot in common with you Jason (no offense intended - I was just being funny because he didn't like washing dishes and he didn't like indecision :-)

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) Bad boy Dustin!!! Get you some stationary and a pen, and write down those passages/quotes you like and put them in the book when your done reading it. That way whoever reads it after you will know what you liked about it. Especially if you leave it there till one of your kids, or grandkids read it. Stop dogearing your books!!!!

Jason, I don't even have any books on audio. And if I did i'd be like you. I fully agree about how to take care of our books. All those deplorable acts done to books makes me cringe. There should be a book police, firt person to get a ticket should be Dustin! :)

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Yes, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that you do not have clinical OCD. You are probably just anal retentive, to use obsolete and idiotic Freudian terminology. ;-) I also noticed that he often does that with villains and probably does so because his OCD often annoys him, so he manifests it (probably along with several of his other self-perceived negative traits) in his villains. That is my theory anyway. :-)

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Lori wrote: "...There should be a book police, firt person to get a ticket should be Dustin! :)"

That's right! X-(

;-)

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) Hey what's wrong with not likeing to wash dishes? And who wants to deal with some one who's indecisive? Not me!LOL

message 36: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Apr 04, 2010 01:29PM) (new)

Lori wrote: " Get you some stationary and a pen, and write down those passages/quotes you like and put them in the book when your done reading it. That way whoever reads it after you will know what you liked about it. Especially if you leave it there till one of your kids, or grandkids read it. Stop dogearing your books!!!! ."

:-) I'm afraid I'm gonna keep on revolting against the book police. I do keep a book journal where I write down my favorite short passages and thoughts about the book , but as I'm reading I'm gonna keep bending the corners to mark those favorite parts - it's just easier. Otherwise, I'd have to carry around some of those little skinny post-its and stick 'em on pages I wanted to refer back to - I ain't about to do that. At least I try to bend them back before returning them to the library :-) Actually that's an improvement I've made in myself. You see, the book police did actually catch me returning a library book that I dog-eared. Of course I had also spilled A&W Root Beer on the pages. I had to purchase this dang book at full cover price which was ridiculous (although I was the first library patron to get this new release title :-) Wanna know the title - Your Heart Belongs To Me by Dean Koontz. I was so mad at that book that I sold it real cheap on Amazon.com within a few days. Anyway, I now at least bend my corners back before returning the book to the library - I'm not gonna let the book police catch me again!

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin wrote: "...You see, the book police did actually catch me returning a library book that I dog-eared. Of course I had also spilled A&W Root Beer on the pages. I had to purchase this dang book at full cover price which was ridiculous (although I was the first library patron to get this new release title :-) Wanna know the title - Your Heart Belongs To Me by Dean Koontz. I was so mad at that book that I sold it real cheap on Amazon.com within a few days. Anyway, I now at least bend my corners back before returning the book to the library - I'm not gonna let the book police catch me again!"

Well, it's probably okay to have done it to that book. ;-)

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) For shame, for shame. Dustin you are setting the way for your daughter, and grandkids to come. Do the deed but don't get caught by the book police. For shame, for shame. ;( Full price, good you were the first & last for that book at your library. Bad boy. LOL

message 39: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Lori wrote: " For shame, for shame. Dustin you are setting the way for your daughter, and grandkids to come. Do the deed but don't get caught by the book police. For shame, for shame. ;( Full price, good you w..."

I'm sure they bought another copy. I also have a son :-) and soon I'll have a dog too!

message 40: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments Wow, almost a real-time chat going on here, cool! I like that note about the airline ticket. Many books travel a long way and it is cool to know where they come from. Occasionally, I swap books that I do not plan to keep on the website Paperback swap. One of the cool features is showing where each book has traveled. Many people who use the site swap the same books they receive from the site and there is a tracking history of where/when the books were sent. The last book I swapped traveled coast to coast in the US 3 times! I love having a book collection but it is also cool that a single copy can be enjoyed by so many people.

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) Now that's cool Matt. Hell your book has been farther then I have.LOL:)

message 42: by Sabrah (new)

Sabrah | 3 comments I used to live in a town called Micanopy in Florida where I worked as a manager for an antique store. We had all kinds of antiques and one year back in the late 70's we bought the library of Paul C. Smith out of cold storage. Paul C. Smith was a book critic for the San Francisco Chronicle and also had something to do with Collier Crowel. Every box we opened was like opening a treasure chest. Lots of the books were autographed as they were sent to Mr Smith for him to critique. I was hooked.

I have moved to the UK twice, so my library has diminished, but I am moving back to Florida in May where I will take up collecting books and more again. I do have a signed copy of Intensity that I bought at a charity auction about 2002 or 2003 and it came with a letter of introduction for the charity from Dean Koontz.

I started reading Koontz in the late 1980's and the first book I read was Watchers. I think since then I have read every book he has written and just finished Relentless.

I am an avid book reader.

message 43: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Mateo Yea, I'm a book collector too. I typically collect almost any book that pertains to dogs, Koontz, and any book I consider "good".

message 44: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 200 comments Hi Sabrah and Dawn, thanks for sharing a little about your book collections.

message 45: by Susan R. (new)

Susan R. (SusanCR) Even though I have always loved to read, I only began collecting books last year...of course Koontz books. I now have about 30 paperbacks. I bought an authographed copy of From the Corner of His Eye a few months ago. I have probably another 30 books that range from cookbooks to art books and more fiction.

message 46: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Mateo Where did you get the autographed copy of Corner of His Eye? I've been looking for a signed Koontz book.

message 47: by Susan R. (new)

Susan R. (SusanCR) I got the authographed copy of Corner of His Eye at www.deankoontz.com...check the books for sale in the sites store. Have fun!

message 48: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Mateo Thanks! I never thought of going there..

message 49: by Teaberry (new)

Teaberry I've always loved to read, and I'm also a bit of a pack rack, so yes, I have a few books! I have books I read in grade school through college, and I love to pick up books cheaply at rummage sales; I own probably around 750 or so. I'm currently cataloging them into a book database on my laptop, and then I synch that with my iPod Touch, so now I'll know if I already own a book & I'll stop buying duplicates! I take the books I don't want to keep to a local bookstore, which gives me credit to use when I buy other used books there. I'm happy to have paperbacks, but if I really love a book, I tend to want it in hardback.

I'm pretty new here on Goodreads, but I'm lovin' it so far! Where else can I find people who understand?

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan (Nutz4Books) I have a lot of books but don't consider myself a collector. Yesterday, the Pikes Peak library district had a book sale, $5.00 for all you can fit in a bag. I got 22 hardbacks, 3 trade paperbacks, and 13 mass market paperbacks for $10. No Koontz, though. I saw one beat-up paperback but it was one I already have and not in good enough condition to pass on so I didn't get it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Await Your Reply (other topics)
The Dead Path (other topics)
Forever Odd (other topics)
Mr. Murder (other topics)
Midnight (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dean Koontz (other topics)