Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Other Book Related Discussions > Weekly Tête-à-Tête - Self Help Mayhem

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (last edited Dec 21, 2009 08:15AM) (new)

Shanon (Boban) | 1166 comments Mod
‘Tis the season to get gifts and many people give and get books. Some of us like to see a little book under the tree others of us don’t. I have a friend that usually gets some sort of self-help book from her family. They seem innocent enough until you really start looking at the book and then it makes her wonder what hidden message her family is trying to send!

What would be your nightmare Self-Help book gift and from whom?

Off the top of my head, I think I would get really nervous if a boss (or worse yet, my spouse) gave me WHO MOVED THE CHEESE; a self-help book about accepting change in our lives.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) My mother tends to give me religious books that I dread.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 77 comments Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "My mother tends to give me religious books that I dread."

Same here. My godmother sends them to me for every birthday and Christmas. I may have been baptised but I'm sort of an athiest. I have no quarrels with those that have religion but I hate that my godmother won't respect my choice.

I think the funniest one I received from her was The Dawkins Delusion? Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine, a reponse to the book The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, a well-known athiest. I would have preferred The God Delusion! Besides it would have been sort of hard to understand the critiquing book without reading the book it was criticising.

These books always end up at the charity shop. I don't know why she wastes her money, I will alway be a heathen. :)

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Dec 21, 2009 10:31PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) It's harder for me to get rid of the books as we have a joint garage sale every year.

Now, this happens to be one of her favorite authors and I found the book used so bought it for her as a gift. I crack up at the title though: Me and My Big Mouth - Your Answer is Right Under Your Nose by Joyce Meyer. I gave that to her last christmas.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The God Delusion (other topics)
The Dawkins Delusion?: Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine (other topics)
Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer is Right Under Your Nose (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Dawkins (other topics)