Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Shaun Tan - Famous Aussie Kid's Author/Illustrator

Comments (showing 1-50 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Alcorn (smange) | 1 comments I've recently stumbled across Shaun Tan and have been thoroughly impressed with his works. I'm also quote surprised to note that the Aussie Goodreads book groups don't seem to feature him in any discussions or readings so far. So, I'm doing my bit to support an awesome Aussie writer/illustrator and I'm drawing your attention to him now.

Two books I've fallen in love with:
Tales from Outer Suburbia
The Lost Thing

Shaun Tan is a wildly imaginative, vivid writer and artist with many important messages to share with today's youth. His books are incredibly powerful and beautiful.

message 2: by MandyM (last edited Sep 03, 2010 11:00PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments NEWS FOR SHAUN TAN FANS

I saw some enthusiastic comments from another AR member (K) about the Graphic Festival in Sydney and thought I would mention it here in this group. Here is a link to the performance of "Ben Walsh and Orkestra..." to Australian author Shaun Tan's famous book The Arrival. This was performed at the recent Graphic Festival at the Sydney Opera House. You can see why Shaun Tan is feted internationally, his artwork is just amazing!!

The Arrival performed by Ben Walsh

message 3: by Tango (new)

Tango | 236 comments The Red Tree and Arrival are also brilliant. you can read them so many times and never get tired of looking at his illustrations.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

That's it, I'm going to a book shop today to pick up a copy of The Arrival. I can't wait any longer. :)

message 5: by K (new)

K | 61 comments Oh hey, I came to this thread to sing Shaun Tan's praises and saw that Mandy has already done it on my behalf :-P Can I just add that my friend had her book signed after the performance, and Shaun was lovely enough to have a chat and answer questions for those of us who stayed behind.

Angela, I just read Tales from Outer Suburbia! A little offbeat, and a lotta fun.

message 6: by K (new)

K | 61 comments OK, my last post in this topic, lest you think I am a Shaun Tan stalker or something :-P

Some (dodgy) photos I took at Kinokuniya yesterday:

message 7: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments In the second photo it looks like he was giving a talk. Was it any good?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

K wrote: "OK, my last post in this topic, lest you think I am a Shaun Tan stalker or something :-P

Some (dodgy) photos I took at Kinokuniya yesterday:

"

K. Next time (if you have the chance that is.) if you know of events like this happening in Sydney, post it on the State by State Round-up - New South Wales. I am sure there are others here who would appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing the photos. :)

message 9: by K (new)

K | 61 comments Sure thing Gail :)

Mandy, he spoke briefly but then had a pictionary type session with a local comic artist W. Chew Chan which was quite funny.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks K, Sounds like it would have been a great thing to go along and see.

I haven't purchased The Arrival yet. I went to the bookshop, found a copy but realised I was going to have to explain the expense to my husband and chickened out. Fortunately I was able to sit and browse through the book at my leisure.

message 11: by Marg (new)

Marg (MargReads) | 86 comments I loved The Arrival and regularly gush about how good it is. When I read it I was so surprised at how much I loved it given that there are no words.

I also gave it to my son and asked him to tell me the story which was a fun thing to do.

message 12: by Annalie (new)

Annalie I read about "Tales of Outer Surburbia" in the newspaper a year ago and decided to buy the book for my sister, who is a professional artist and "never gets time to read". She absolutely adored it - said it was one of the best books she has ever read. Of course I had to have a copy too! It's one of those "Children's books for Adults". Must purchase The Arrival next!

message 13: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Fabulous news for Shaun Tan fans:

Illustrator Shaun Tan animated over Oscars tilt

"SHAUN Tan has won his fair share of awards over the years, but he felt the nerves this time around.
One of the nation's most innovative artists and illustrators, Tan spent the night at his Melbourne home on Tuesday waiting patiently for the Academy Award nominations to be announced.

He and his wife battled a patchy internet connection, constantly refreshing web pages that eventually shared the news that he was among seven Australians nominated for an Oscar.

"It felt pretty lame but what can you do?" Tan said yesterday. "It was left until near the last because we're quite a small category, so it was a bit nerve-racking."

Tan was nominated in the category of best animated short for The Lost Thing, a film adapted from his picture book and co-directed by Andrew Ruhemann. It was produced by Sophie Byrne in a small room above a laundromat in Melbourne's inner north.

Tan predicted the film had a "decent shot" at winning, but he was careful not to be too confident of Oscars success.

"The thing about awards, of course, is there's a strong element of lottery involved," he said.

Other Australians in the running for Academy Awards on February 27 include Jacki Weaver for Animal Kingdom, Geoffrey Rush for The King's Speech and Nicole Kidman for Rabbit Hole. The full Australian contingent is made up of producer Emile Sherman (best picture, The King's Speech), Kirk Baxter (film editing, The Social Network) and Ben Snow (visual effects, Iron Man 2)."

Click here to see a preview of this truly amazing short movie, “The Lost Thing“.

message 14: by Marg (new)

Marg (MargReads) | 86 comments Woo-hoo! This is fantastic!

message 15: by K (new)

K | 61 comments That's fantastic news! And to think he hadn't been involved with film-making before the Lost Thing!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I love the trailor.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Shaun Tan won the Oscar for 'The Lost thing'. Awesome!!!!!!

message 18: by K (new)

K | 61 comments That's so cool!!! I loved it :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you...that was cool :)

message 20: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Wow that's fantastic news, he is such a talent!!!

message 21: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Shaun Tan won the Oscar for 'The Lost thing'. Awesome!!!!!!"

Woo Hoo! Well deserved too!:)

message 22: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Video of Shaun winning the Oscar and his family. His father is so proud, it's very cute!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aciOX1...

message 23: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Thanks Mandy that is truly goregeous, what a wonderful thrill for his family!!

message 24: by Dot (new)

Dot (busyozmum) | 116 comments Mandy wrote: "Video of Shaun winning the Oscar and his family. His father is so proud, it's very cute!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aciOX1..."

So sweet. It's just wonderful. :o)

message 25: by Maja (new)

Maja | 13 comments He is so talented. I absolutely love his work and the Rabbits were particularly poignant.

message 26: by Carmel (last edited Mar 05, 2011 09:43PM) (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments For those interested The State Library of Victoria will be featuring Shaun Tan: Untold stories - he will be "opening his sketchbooks to reveal how simple images develop into complex stories like The Arrival & The Lost Thing" on 17 Mar (6.30-7.30pm) - how timely with his recent Oscars win!! http://slv.vic.gov.au/

message 27: by Dot (new)

Dot (busyozmum) | 116 comments Carmel wrote: "For those interested The State Library of Victoria will be featuring Shaun Tan: Untold stories - he will be "opening his sketchbooks to reveal how simple images develop into complex stories like Th..."

Oh I would love to go to this. I'm so close and yet so far from the city. (sigh) I do hope someone is able to go and let us know how it all went. :o)

message 28: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Dot wrote: "Oh I would love to go to this. I'm so close and yet so far from the city. (sigh) I do hope someone is able to go and let us know how it all went. :o) ..."

Don't worry Dot, I will try my hardest to get there if I can!!
I'm just going to edit/add the time in my original comment also:)

message 29: by Dot (new)

Dot (busyozmum) | 116 comments Hope you can Carmel. I'd love to hear about it.

message 30: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments .Calling all art/writing/film buffs.
Ever met an Oscar winner? Here’s your big chance! On 7 September, the brilliant Shaun Tan will give a public lecture at La Trobe’s Bendigo campus.

Shaun is an internationally renowned illustrator and author of children’s books, and an accomplished filmmaker; this year he won an Oscar (and many other awards) for his short film The Lost Thing, and the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award (in memory of the author of Pippi Longstocking) for his contribution to children’s literature. This is a fantastic opportunity to hear Shaun talk about his adventures in writing, illustration and filmmaking.

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/events/2011...

message 31: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Just a little excited, I managed to get tickets to th above lecture (as they've move the venure due to the enormous demand), so just a little happy!!!! *doing a happy dance*

message 32: by Brenda, As quick as lightning! (new)

Brenda | 29681 comments Mod
Carmel wrote: "Just a little excited, I managed to get tickets to th above lecture (as they've move the venure due to the enormous demand), so just a little happy!!!! *doing a happy dance*"

Yay!!!! That's great Carmel! Also means lots of others will be able to go too, if the venue is bigger:)

message 33: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Yeah Brenda, I suppose if anyone wants to try the link from my msg 30 maybe they will be lucky but I can't guarantee it.
But I'm quite excited & Sheldon's going to come with me which is a bonus!

message 34: by Simon (new)

Simon | 15 comments I attended a science fiction convention in Perth a few years back (okay, probably 2002 or 2003) where Shaun Tan did a signing for one of his books. Even then the queues went out the room and snaked through the hotel!

message 35: by K (new)

K | 61 comments Did you get a book signed?

Do we have any reports from the people who went to the Sept 7 lecture?

message 36: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments In actual fact K it was postponed and I recieved an email during last week to say it is rescheduled for the 17 Nov so I'm looking forward to it:)

message 37: by K (new)

K | 61 comments At least it was rescheduled, not canceled. Hope you guys have fun :)

message 38: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Thanks K:)

message 39: by Simon (last edited Oct 07, 2011 06:42PM) (new)

Simon | 15 comments Nope, didn't get it signed. I didn't even know who he was back then!
I just read an interview with Shaun on Fablecroft where he mentions his first published piece - a robot kangaroo on the cover of Aurealis Magazine #2 (published in 1990), which he drew when he was 16. I checked my collection of scifi mags, and sure enough I have a copy of that issue. If I ever line up for an autograph I'll be sure to take it along.

message 40: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Wow that's terrific Simon, a treasured item for sure!!

message 41: by K (new)

K | 61 comments That is so cool! Out of curiosity, is the illustration roughly in the same style as his current work?

message 42: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Ha you'll have to wait!! Something special coming soon in this space:)

message 43: by K (new)

K | 61 comments Carmel, are you being a tease?

message 44: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Hmmmm yep!!!
I met the man last night and I have a surprise for our members:)

message 45: by K (new)

K | 61 comments Woohoo! I like surprises!

message 46: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (BooksAndaBeagle) | 1703 comments :O I didnt realise there was a thread for him! I love his pictures!

message 47: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I'll post my pics tonight & then I'll make a little announcement then:) Glad you're excited:)

message 48: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments This is just a little teaser whilst I get myself organised:) But last week I had the great pleasure meeting the wonderful Shaun Tan, was a bit starstruck when it came to talking to him, even me a grown woman, how silly!! Our own multi award winning Aussie author, illustrator & film maker came to town:)

I was lucky enough to have him sign a book for myself & my daughter's for a keepsake. Who wouldn't want an Academy Award winning writer sign a book which they had made into an amazing movie - opportunity not to be missed!! Was very exciting!

So keep your eyes peeled as you too may be a lucky one.....:)

message 49: by Brenda, As quick as lightning! (new)

Brenda | 29681 comments Mod
Wow Carmel! Lucky thing you:) Great photo too!!

message 50: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Ha Brenda, I was actually nervous it was so silly!! ha

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lost Thing (other topics)
Tales from Outer Suburbia (other topics)
The Arrival (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Shaun Tan (other topics)