Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6) Beyond Reach discussion

Beyond Reach - the ending *spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Precious I just finished reading Beyond Reach. Admittedly I skimmed through some sections of it, so may have missed something important. But can anyone EXPLAIN the ending? I didn't understand why there would randomly be a bomb in their mailbox. Was it supposedly a reaction to Sara's lawsuit??? It just seemed really really random.

Leah It had nothing to do with her lawsuit. The bomb was put there by the Brotherhood of the True White Skin, the skinheads running the meth ring. They had previously firebombed Hank's mailbox, so that gave a clue as to who put the bomb in Jeffrey and Sara's mailbox. It was put there with the intention of killing Jeffrey. If you want to have the ending explained Karin Slaughter posted a letter to her readers on her website that explains why she killed Jeffrey etc...
www.karinslaughter.com/letter
Hope this was helpful! :)

Vikki i still cant believe they killed jeffrey! i was so shocked and i cant wait to read what happens next!

Fiona Johnson I was so shocked too and I'm afraid I haven't read any Karin Slaughter since....

message 5: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee the link doesn't work!!!

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee http://www.karinslaughter.com/IGetIt.... - here's the new link...it even has a log in portion

Patricia Dee wrote: "http://www.karinslaughter.com/IGetIt.... - here's the new link...it even has a log in portion"

I just saw this post. Thank you for the link. I was SO upset when Jeff died!! Eventhough I still am sorry he had to go, I do like where the story is going now. Thank you again for the link.
Pat

Patricia I accidentally flagged a comment here. I meant to hit "reply". I think I retracted the flag. I apologize for the mistake. I hope I "undid" it.

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee i was upset too, but thinking back, now I see why she did it...I was lucky enough to meet her when Fallen came out - although I didn't get to chat much (I got caught in traffic and nearly missed her)

Kirby I picked up this series with Undone, so I unfortunately already knew that Jeffrey was going to die somehow, somewhere. Slaughter still managed to surprise the crap out of me with it, though! I did NOT see it coming!

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee i'm almost done with Undone - I have about an hour and a half to go and I still have no idea who it is...but now i'm starting to wonder...KS's mind is devious in more ways than one

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Precious wrote: "I just finished reading Beyond Reach. Admittedly I skimmed through some sections of it, so may have missed something important. But can anyone EXPLAIN the ending? I didn't understand why there w..."

Precious wrote: "I just finished reading Beyond Reach. Admittedly I skimmed through some sections of it, so may have missed something important. But can anyone EXPLAIN the ending? I didn't understand why there w..."

I realize that you posted in 2007, but will reply hopefully you will see this. I just reread Beyond Reach. I always liked Sara and Jeffrey so started rereading the series from the beginning. I got to BR and decided I couldn't reread it, I still cry at the end. But then next thing I was reading it again. I found that as I reread it I started to understand things a lot better. I too thought it was the group of skinheads from lena's hometown who placed the bomb until rereading BR. When Jeffrey went to see Ethan in prison, Ethans last parting shot told Jeffrey to watch his mailbox. Ethen hated Jeffrey with a passion and I now believe that Ethen reached out to his friends outside prison and they put the bomb in the mailbox. I don't think they cared whether they killed Jeffrey or Sara. We know it would kill Jeffrey if something happened to Sara. My question has always been "what did Jeffrey want to talk to Sara about that was so important"? I've always wondered if he had decided to quit police work.

Quillracer This was the book that broke this series for me. Jeffrey's death seemed to me to be put in just for shock value and nothing more.

I haven't read another book by Slaughter and never will.

message 14: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Dave wrote: "This was the book that broke this series for me. Jeffrey's death seemed to me to be put in just for shock value and nothing more.

I haven't read another book by Slaughter and never will."

have you actually read the letter that KS wrote about why she killed Jeffrey off? It made total sense when she explained it - yeah, it sucked to see him die, but can you imagine if she had kept him alive - the Will Trent series wouldn't exist, neither would the Georgia books - sometimes authors have to do stuff like this to further their series/books

Marianne @ Dave & Fiona
I cried and cried, but I also read the letter and accepted Slaughter's rationale behind killing Jeffrey. If you haven't read any Slaughter since, wow, you are really missing out, the Georgia series are brilliant: it's your loss!

Quillracer Yes, I read the letter Slaughter wrote. Sorry, it didn't change my opinion.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I read Beyond Reach right after it came out, and was devasted by Jeffrey's death. It seemed to me that Sara and Jeffrey couldn't catch a break to be happy. That' one of the things I'm not thrilled with in Slaughter's book. I swore I would never read another KS book, but admit I have. They are getting some better, but don't buy them. I admit I'm stilled P***** at Jeffrey's death.

message 18: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Dave wrote: "Yes, I read the letter Slaughter wrote. Sorry, it didn't change my opinion."

so you would prefer to have essentially seen the series end with them riding off into the sunset (sarcasm) -because that is essentially what she said - that you couldn't continue to have perfect luck solving crimes and that eventually someone close to you would be hurt/killed

I HATE series where everything always works out and there is no upheaveavl

message 19: by Quillracer (last edited Feb 24, 2013 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Quillracer No, I didn't expect them to ride off happily into the sunset. And I have no problem with upheavals or crises involving the main characters. But there are so many ways Slaughter could have continued to throw roadblocks into their happiness besides killing Jeff.

I felt long before reading this book in the series that Slaughter often threw in violence just to throw it in. And that was one thing that turned me off to the series.

After reading the synopses for later books, I wonder if Slaughter offed Jeff just so Sara and Will Trent could have a romance.

Theresa I was in Morning for 3 days.....but I do accept why Slaughter did what she did and look forward to the book she will write to move the other characters into a new and different turn of events. I will miss Jefferey though.

Stacey I'm in a bit of a different opinion of most of the people here but I loathed Sara and Jeffery together! I couldn't stand Sara in the books up till Beyond Reach but I loved Karin's stories and her writing so I kept going. When Jeffery was killed I was so happy! I know that sounds bad but because I disliked Sara so much I was looking forward to something different. I had hoped that she would be written out too and Now that I've kept reading, I love Sara! I love who she became after Jeffery died.

I didn't read Karin's letter because it didn't really matter to me why she did what she did. She's a brilliant storyteller and I knew she did it for a good reason.

Theresa She is a brilliant storyteller, for sure!

Sabrina Barbara wrote: "Precious wrote: "I just finished reading Beyond Reach. Admittedly I skimmed through some sections of it, so may have missed something important. But can anyone EXPLAIN the ending? I didn't under..."

Barbara wrote: "Precious wrote: "I just finished reading Beyond Reach. Admittedly I skimmed through some sections of it, so may have missed something important. But can anyone EXPLAIN the ending? I didn't under..."

I agree, I think it was a little present from Ethan in jail. I had jumped around in the series a bit & therefore read about J's death before it happened ( a bit unfortunate, but I'm kind of glad I got the heads up) and so when Ethan said that to Jeffrey, an alarm certainly went off in my head. I'm curious as to what you wrote about Jeffrey having news for Sara - I feel like I also read that, but now don't see where. Perhaps it was that Lena's mom is still alive?

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Beyond Reach (other topics)
Undone (other topics)