Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Q and A > What book did you just start?

Comments (showing 251-300 of 2,393) (2393 new)    post a comment »

NancyL Luckey Thanks, Sara and Christine. There are so many other books on my "to read" list, I'll just skip those.

Patti | 136 comments I agree Sara. I didn't care for this book at all. I realize that I am in the minority.

Miriam (chkntza) | 39 comments I just started Dracula by Bram Stoker.

Betsy (ebburtis) | 592 comments I just startedThe Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. It's set in Ireland and all the blurbs talk about the "lyrical" writing. I can see what they mean, but for some reason last night when I started it, it wasn't grabbing me. Maybe I was just tired, I'll give it more time.

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 613 comments Sara wrote: "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
I was looking forward to this, since I like thrillers and strong female protagonists.
Really didn't like it.
Not a fan of "locked room mysteries"
Brutality was not what..."

I am so glad I never picked one up....

Stephanie Started Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd Brazzaville Beach as my very first ebook on my brand new surprise Nook from my husband! :) I get them for free from my local library.

message 258: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 134 comments Cutting for Stone Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Didn't grab me when I tried it the first time; now I'm mesmerized. Wish I could pay more attention to the setting but the characters are too intriguing. Love it -- not sure where it's going and I appreciate that, too.

Jaime | 216 comments Kate wrote: "Cutting for StoneCutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Didn't grab me when I tried it the first time; now I'm mesmerized. Wish I could pay more attention to the setting but the c..."

I was the same way. I just couldn't get into it. I'm thinking of trying again someday just because everyone raves about it so. I must have missed something!

Betsy (ebburtis) | 592 comments I've got In the Woods on the TBR pile. Let me know how it is.

Stephanie I really liked In the Woods. Great mystery in a good literary style. I plan on reading her next two books.

message 263: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Thanks for my copy of In the Woods, Stephanie. I had your note tucked inside the book, and today it fell out and blew down the beach. Fortunately, a friend of mine was quick, and he chased it down for me. :D

Sue in FL | 27 comments Stephanie, are you liking your Nook? Planning to purchase one tmw. and will use primarily for downloading from the library. Taking trip to Europe this fall and I think it will be very handy to have the travel books loaded on it.
sue in fl

message 265: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 134 comments Lisa, both of those are on my TBR!! When will I read all of these books? Is History of Love good?

message 266: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Kate, I'm not sure how I feel about History of Love yet. It hasn't really grabbed me, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good story.

message 267: by Judy (new)

Judy | 7 comments Just finished Still Alice, great book, and am now reading The Help, excellent book, very enjoyable reading, almost finished.

message 268: by Judy (new)

Judy | 7 comments http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/s... refurb sony reader for $109, great price.

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 613 comments I am going to start The Passage
The Passage by Justin Cronin, now!

Patti | 136 comments I have ordered The Passage from the library and I can't wait.

LynnB | 1407 comments Laurie wrote: "Let me know what you think -- I bought this book a couple of years ago and just remembered I have it in a stack of "to be read" books :)"

@Laurie - I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The author was trying to capture a slice of life in New England as it used to be and I think she did a great job of it.

Jaime | 216 comments I am about to sit down and start The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Played with Fire. I just finished the first one and hear the second is even better. I just hope the beginning isn't as BORING!

LynnB | 1407 comments Jaime wrote: "...I just hope the beginning isn't as BORING! "

Nope, it isn't! He reserved that just for the first one. The other two you can get into the story right away.

Betsy (ebburtis) | 592 comments Started The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz last night. I gave up on Secret Scripture - I probably should have given it a bit more time, but I wasn't in the mood to!

Cathy | 427 comments I just started The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth KostovaThe Swan Thieves on audio downloaded from the library via Overdrive Media. I also have begunMister Pip. This one is a very short read, but looks good.

Betsy (ebburtis) | 592 comments Cathy wrote: "I also have begunMister Pip. This one is..."

I recently read Pip and really enjoyed it - hope you do too.

Cathy | 427 comments Betsy wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I also have begunMister Pip. This one is..."

I recently read Pip and really enjoyed it - hope you do too."

Betsy...I did enjoy this story, even though some of it was quite shocking and sad. A short, but affecting story that I will definitely drag into work to share with my "reader" co-workers. I loved how a great literature classic was interwoven into such a unique tale.

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 613 comments Started Diamond Ruby: A Novel
Diamond Ruby  A Novel by Joseph Wallace, this morning

message 281: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Lynn, it's on my TBR, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts once you finish.

message 282: by LynnB (last edited Jul 17, 2010 07:46PM) (new)

LynnB | 1407 comments Lisa wrote: "Lynn, it's on my TBR, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts once you finish."

I just posted a note on the other thread and my review on my shelf, but basically I thought it was an interesting book -- though I gave it 3 stars, mostly (I think) because I really didn't like the majority of the major characters and I don't think it's the kind of book that will stick in my mind...and too much on bodily functions.

message 283: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments @Lynn
I won't be in any rush to read it.

Laurie (LaurieLH) | 92 comments I've just started Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood; I've not read anything by her before and am struggling a bit with this novel. I appreciate the prose, but the subject matter and character is so intense -- maybe to be read in small doses, alternating with a lighter work.

Stephanie Jaime wrote: "I am about to sit down and start The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Played with Fire. I just finished the first one and hear the second is even better. I..."

It's much better! I started it at B&N last week on my nook.

Vanessa | 15 comments I am a few chapters into Death of a Red Heroine which is the first book I've ever read that I discovered solely through Bookmarks (the China special they did last issue.)

Cathy | 427 comments I just started something I pulled off the shelf at the library...looks interesting.

Once Upon a Day  A Novel by Lisa Tucker

Once Upon a Day: A Novel by Lisa Tucker

Laurie (LaurieLH) | 92 comments I just started reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson Major Pettigrew's Last Stand -- so far, love the dry wit of the major.

message 289: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Laurie wrote: "I just started reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson Major Pettigrew's Last Stand -- so far, love the dry wit of the major."

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! :)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 592 comments Tonight I'm starting Cost: A Novel Cost  A Novel by Roxana Robinson. I've had this one on my TBR list for ages, so I'm excited to start it.

Stephanie Betsy wrote: "Tonight I'm starting Cost: A NovelCost  A Novel by Roxana Robinson. I've had this one on my TBR list for ages, so I'm excited to start it."

Me too! Can't wait to hear about it!

message 292: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I'm reading The Postmistress by Sarah Blake on my Nook.

I'm also reading Every Last One by Anna Quindlen as my one hour a day free read on the Nook at B&N. Unfortunately, I've been sick for several days and am forced to patiently wait to get back in for my next session.

Stephanie Lisa wrote: "I'm reading The Postmistress by Sarah Blake on my Nook.

I'm also reading Every Last One by Anna Quindlen as my one hour a day free read on the Nook at B&N. Unfortunately, I've been sick f..."

I will want to know how both are! Send me a recommendation if you really like them! I think they are on my TBR, but you know me...if you tell me to read it, I will...:)

Stephanie I started The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson and will start The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O. McNees tonight when I go to bed.

Karen | 12 comments I also just started to read The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson yesterday. Read 80 pages and very good so far!

Stephanie I ended up starting Secrets of Eden  A Novel by Chris Bohjalian instead of The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O. McNees.

message 297: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 134 comments Having finished ] Saving Ceecee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman CeeCee Honeycutt, which was delightful, I started

The Girl Who Played with Fire The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson

I am soooo glad that I muscled through Dragon Tattoo so that I could enjoy this whole series. This second installation is wonderful!

Patti | 136 comments Maybe I will try the second book in the Dragon Tattoo series. I didn't like the first one (I know, I know), but I keep hearing how great 2 and 3 are, so maybe....

Patti | 136 comments Just started Faithful Place by Tana French last night. Good author.

LynnB | 1407 comments Patti wrote: "Just started Faithful Place by Tana French last night. Good author."

I just checked - I'm #1 now on the waiting list at the library, so hopefully I'll be starting it soon, too.