Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Q and A > What book did you just start?

Comments (showing 2445-2494)    post a comment »

message 2494: by Karen (new)

Karen | 53 comments Sera wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng"

Loved this. I hope that you enjoy it, Karen."

I'm loving this book Sera! The pages can't turn fast enough for me :)

message 2493: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 663 comments I just started The Good Soldier for my book group. It is our classic selection for the year.

message 2492: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1217 comments Karen wrote: "I just started Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng"

Loved this. I hope that you enjoy it, Karen.

message 2491: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1217 comments Jennifer wrote: "i just started Hild, by Nicola Griffith. has anyone here read it already?

and - ha!, about The Martian - i just bought that for my dad for christmas ..."

I have Hild on my TBR. Keep me posted :)

message 2490: by Karen (new)

Karen | 53 comments I just started Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

message 2489: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 17, 2014 08:18AM) (new)

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) | 211 comments i just started Hild, by Nicola Griffith. has anyone here read it already?

and - ha!, about The Martian - i just bought that for my dad for christmas - it seems right up his alley. a couple of GR friends really loved it. sorry it's not going better for you, lynn.

message 2488: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments Sera wrote: "I have heard that readers enjoy it because of how much fun it is. "

I'm about 2/3 the way into the story now and it's grown on me! I found it was just the first 30 or 40 pages that were bothering me. Then I got interested. I hope the ending holds up (probably will get time to read it later tonight).

message 2487: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1217 comments Betsy wrote: "Started Station Eleven on audio today. Pulls you in right away."

Good to know, Betsy. I need to line up my next round of audio books.

message 2486: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1217 comments LynnB wrote: "Though I'm not a big sci-fi fan, I'm reading The MartianThe Martian by Andy Weir. With over 40,000 ratings and 4.35 stars, I was expecting it to be fantastic. So far, howe..."

I have heard that readers enjoy it because of how much fun it is.

message 2485: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 663 comments Started Station Eleven on audio today. Pulls you in right away.

message 2484: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments Though I'm not a big sci-fi fan, I'm reading The Martian The Martian by Andy Weir. With over 40,000 ratings and 4.35 stars, I was expecting it to be fantastic. So far, however (and I'm only to page 30), it has me puzzled as to how it can be rated so highly. The writing is very juvenile at times. It is readable, however, so I'll keep going. Hopefully it improves.

message 2483: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1217 comments I've been listening to Everything I Never Told You on audio and enjoying it very much.

message 2481: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 663 comments Becky wrote: "Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand& Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown"

Becky, did you ever finish this one? It's getting a lot of buzz and praise and today is a Kindle deal. I'm feeling sort of done with the dystopian, futuristic genre. Is this one enough for me to overlook those feelings?

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) | 211 comments i just started The Beekeeper's Apprentice, by Laurie R. King -- looking for something a bit fun, so i am hoping this fits the bill.

Teresa | 139 comments Just started I Shall Be Near to You by Erin Lindsay McCabe "I Shall be Near to You" by Erin Lindsay McCabe and loving it.

Teresa | 139 comments "Code Name Verity" is one of my favorite books! I hope you enjoy it, too.

message 2477: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments I'm reading the YA Code Name Verity Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein and also a short NF memoir of Chinese labor camps, Grass Soup Grass Soup by Zhang Xianliang.

message 2476: by Linda (new)

Linda | 673 comments Victoria wrote: "Linda wrote: "Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good: The New Mitford Novel

I need some fiction in my life."

I got that as an ARC thru Goodreads in the summer. I even went and borrowe..."

Victoria, I've been retired more than 10 years now, but the original series helped me detox on my commute home from a day of teaching. They were wonderful to listen to. With each new volume I felt as if I was returning to old friends.

I didn't care so much for her Father Tim volumes that came after Mitford, but she is still a pleasant read.

Victoria (Vicki_c) | 151 comments Linda wrote: "Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good: The New Mitford Novel

I need some fiction in my life."

I got that as an ARC thru Goodreads in the summer. I even went and borrowed book #9 in the series from the library in anticipation of reading it (I had read up thru #8 a long time ago). But I couldn't get into it. Not sure if it was just too long away from the series or if I'm just played out with Father Tim and Cynthia. But I really loved the beginning of that series, I thought it was magical - and it is not at all the typical type of book I read.

message 2473: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 435 comments I started As You Wish  Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes on audio. This is a light accounting of the magic of this well-loved movie. It is quite enjoyable to hear Cary Elwes, otherwise known as Wesley, reading this book. Many other notable voices from the movie contribute to this audio production. A very enjoyable outing so far!

message 2472: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments I just finished a large, slow NF book, so I am going with some short books for now:

Grass Soup by Zhang Xianliang
and
The House at the End of Hope Street: A Novel by Menna van Praag

message 2470: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 663 comments Karen wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Karen wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"
Me, too, Karen. I am less than 100 pages in and already have a sense o..."

There's a separate discussion board here called Bookmarks Buddy Reads. I put a folder in there for The Paying Guests. If you can't find it, There is a search feature for the group in the upper right section of the page. If you put Paying Guests in there, it should pop up

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) | 211 comments i am reading Adult Onset, by Ann-Marie MacDonald. i have heard it's not out in the US until the new year. macdonald's 1st novel was an oprah selection ages ago, Fall on Your Knees, and is a fantastic book! :)

message 2468: by Karen (new)

Karen | 53 comments Betsy wrote: "Karen wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"
Me, too, Karen. I am less than 100 pages in and already have a sense of foreboding f..."

Betsy wrote: "Karen wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"
Me, too, Karen. I am less than 100 pages in and already have a sense of foreboding f..."

Betsy where is buddy reads?

message 2467: by Karen (new)

Karen | 53 comments I just started A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry what a great read!

message 2465: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments I just started The Sound and the Furry. Great humor in this series narrated by the dog, Chet. If you love animals, humor and detective stories, give this series a try (though start with #1).

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) | 211 comments i am reading one of the longlisted women's prize for fiction books right now: All the Birds, Singing, by Evie Wyld. i'm not sure about it, nearly ⅔ of the way in. anyone here read it already?

message 2463: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments My newest start is A Very Long Engagement which is WWI historical fiction. It was a best-seller in France when it came out in 1991. It looks like it will be a good read.

message 2462: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments Just started a short re-read, The Great Divorce by CS Lewis.

message 2460: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments Currently I'm reading Someone Knows My Name (historical fiction) and still working on Jerusalem: The Biography (interesting non-fiction, but s-l-o-w!!)

I've read a few others since I last posted, but nothing exceptional. Just a cozy mystery or two and Lord of the Flies, I think.

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) | 211 comments i just began reading Etta and Otto and Russell and James, by Emma Hooper. i am only just a little ways in but, so far, it seems to be reminding me of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - similar type of tone/style. it's a debut novel.

message 2457: by LynnB (last edited Nov 10, 2014 06:05PM) (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments Currently I'm reading short stories by Sherman Alexie, Ten Little Indians and a US Civil
War novel Spy Lover, The: A Novel. And I'm still reading (bit by bit) Jerusalem: The Biography...

message 2455: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 663 comments Karen wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"
Me, too, Karen. I am less than 100 pages in and already have a sense of foreboding for trouble bet..."

I'm putting a folder for it under the Buddy Reads. See you there! I'm about halfway through.

message 2454: by Karen (new)

Karen | 53 comments Betsy wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"
Me, too, Karen. I am less than 100 pages in and already have a sense of foreboding for trouble between Mr. Barbe..."

That sounds like good idea!

Victoria (Vicki_c) | 151 comments Miriam wrote: "I just started The Pillars of the Earth. I'm 50 pages in and it has already gripped me."

One of my top books ever!

message 2452: by Karen (new)

Karen | 53 comments Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"
Me, too, Karen. I am less than 100 pages in and already have a sense of foreboding for trouble between Mr. Barber & Frances."

There is some trouble on the horizon :). Hoping to really get into this book this weekend! Happy Reading

message 2451: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 663 comments Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"
Me, too, Karen. I am less than 100 pages in and already have a sense of foreboding for trouble between Mr. Barber & Frances."

I'm "reading" on audio. Love her writing. Maybe we should have this as one of our group reads. I know I'm going to want to talk about it with someone.

Miriam (chkntza) | 43 comments I just started The Pillars of the Earth. I'm 50 pages in and it has already gripped me.

Teresa | 139 comments Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"
Me, too, Karen. I am less than 100 pages in and already have a sense of foreboding for trouble between Mr. Barber & Frances.

message 2447: by Karen (new)

Karen | 53 comments I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

message 2446: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1455 comments Linda wrote: "It's obvious to me. You had your noses buried in a book! "

Haha! (And very true...)

message 2445: by Linda (new)

Linda | 673 comments Betsy wrote: "LynnB wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I have begun The Narrow Road to the Deep North  A novel by Richard Flanagan on audio - winner of the Man Booker Prize 2014."

This is the first I've heard of this title..."

It's obvious to me. You had your noses buried in a book!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 49 50