Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Audio books

Comments (showing 51-100 of 248) (248 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Kelley Anne (last edited Apr 16, 2010 09:33AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I really like the Mercy Thompson series on audio, as well as Alpha and Omega.

Some of Kenyon's Dark Hunter series is really good, but she keeps changing narrators which bothers me and not all of them are good. But her Born of Night series is really good.

I also like Bitten by Kelley Armstrong as well as Men of the Otherworld.

And then lets not forget the first two books of the Hunger Games series. If you've never read that series before, you wont want to turn the recording off!

Hope that helps

message 52: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) Ohhhh great suggestions! Thank you.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Regina wrote: "So any suggestions of good series?

I have already listened to all of the Highlander series by Moning, the Fever series by Moning. I also have part of the BDB series and listened to Covet. I ne..."

I have been listening to the Mercy Thompson series on audio and really like it. The Kate Daniels series is also very good on audio.....and while not PNR or UF the audio version of The Golden Compass/The Subtle Knife/Amber Spyglass is great...it actually has a full cast doing the narration....

message 54: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Regina wrote: "So any suggestions of good series?

..."

You mean in audiobook format?

Some of my favorites include Johanna Parker in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, Susan Ericksen in JD Robb's In Death Series and Holloway in Karen Chance' Cassie Palmer series.

message 55: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) Yes audio. I should have added the Soookie Stackhouse and JD Robb books to my list of already listened to. Sorry! I will add Holloway's -- thank you!

message 56: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) Nichole wrote: "Regina wrote: "So any suggestions of good series?

I have already listened to all of the Highlander series by Moning, the Fever series by Moning. I also have part of the BDB series and listened to..."

I am reading the Kate Daniels series right now! So once I am finished I may listen to it on audio. Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the Golden Compas trilogy, I read it years ago -- good suggestion -- thank you!

message 57: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Regina wrote: "Yes audio. I should have added the Soookie Stackhouse and JD Robb books to my list of already listened to. Sorry! I will add Holloway's -- thank you!"

Holloway was for a while Anita Blake's voice, too, and she was great. I didn't like the one that replaced her in Skin Trade.

message 58: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) Yz the Whyz wrote: "Holloway was for a while Anita Blake's voice, too, and she was great. I didn't like the one that replaced her in Skin Trade. "

Good to know -- I am currently working my way through Anita Blake (for some reason I want to read these first), but I likely will listen to them after I am done. Thank you!

message 59: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 16 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "And then lets not forget the first two books of the Hunger Games series. If you've never read that series before, you wont want to turn the recording off! ..."

I have to second this. The The Hunger Games narrator is incredible.

Another good source for audiobooks, I have found, are podcast novels. Although most are by unknown or uncelebrated authors, some of them are very well done. And all of them are free. You can find them in iTunes Podcast store, or check out www.Podiobooks.com .

message 60: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) I just started Sabriel and it promises to be good so far. The first three Cassie Palmer books are available by Karen Chance, although if I had it to do over I would probably read those.

Nora Roberts Circle Trilogy is pretty good, starting with Morrigan's Cross. The guy who reads them is awesome. I also liked her Eve Dallas 'in Death' series. Also all of Charlaine Harris' books are available in audio and I really liked the Sookie books... the reader is wonderful. Sounds just like I imagine Sookie would sound.

message 61: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 105 comments Leslie wrote: "When buying Audiobooks, I think that it is important to click on the sound sample button.
You never know what the narrator will sound like unless you preview it.
I can't tell you how many good bo..."

I know it! I hated the narrator for Sherrilyn Kenyon's Fantasy Lover

message 62: by Emmett (new)

Emmett Spain | 3 comments James Marsters (Buffy, Angel, Caprica) reads the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher... he gives an amazing read. I am listening to the Turn Coat audio book right now... he really brings it to life.

I would also highly recommend a novel by Mary E. Pearson called The Adoration of Jenna Fox. The narrator gives a brilliant read on that one - one of the best I've heard. Got that one off audible!

message 63: by Emmett (new)

Emmett Spain | 3 comments Completely agree re: the narrator too... they either make it or break it!

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments If anyone is interested....Audible.com is selling Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harrisfor $9.95 this week....the narrator on this series is really good...

message 65: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I was so excited when I got that email from audible this morning! I had a credit that I had saved to buy the book, but I'll use that credit for something else now. And I agree, it's a fun series to listen to!

message 66: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) I got both the ebook and the audio! I love how Johanna Parker reads it! Can't get enough of Sookie!

message 67: by Wendalyn (new)

Wendalyn Hoff | 15 comments I just downloaded from Audible the new Charlaine one too I had already used my credits so was glad that it was cheap enough. I just bought the House of Night series the other day also. I definitely believe that the narrator to audible makes or breaks a story for me.

I have tried to listen to the George R R Martin books quite a few times but the old guy narrating thing just doesn't do it for me and he puts me to sleep.

My Husband is listening to the Jim Butcher series and absolutely loves them Jim Marsten does a great job. aka Spike.

message 68: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Oh, isn't that funny? I love the narrator for the Martin books and I'm not so crazy about Marsten's narration of Butcher's series even though I loved him as Spike.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Just FYI if anyone is interested.... Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2) by Lara Adrian is now available at Audible.com

message 70: by Wendalyn (new)

Wendalyn Hoff | 15 comments I seen that I am definately buying it. I read them all but would be neat to listen to it. I am listening to the House of Night ones now by PC Cast...

message 71: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mlsimmons) | 42 comments I agree about the Anita Blake books. All of them fromCerulean Sins through Blood Noir are narrated by Cynthia Holloway. All the books before and after are narrated by Kimberly Alexis.

I also agree about The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I am waiting anxiously for Mockingjay.

I have not listened to the Patricia Briggs, but I love her books.

I am currently listening to Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series. I love the person narrating it. He does a great job doing several Scottish accents, including women.

I am just getting ready to start the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I have read all the books, including the most recent, Lover Mine, but have not listened to any.

Listening to books has really helped with my road-rage and with tedious jobs at work. I think I would go insane.

message 72: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Nichole - thanks for the heads up!

Also, I just saw today that Blood Promise by Richelle Mead is FINALLY on audio! That one has really bugged me that it took so long. The first 3 in the series were out in audio before the regular book was released, and #5 is being released tomorrow and they barely get the audio for #4? Hopefully we don't have to wait so long for #5 to come out in audio!

Melanie - I agree, Phil Gigante does a great job with the Highlander series. He's one of my favorites. And if you are enjoying those that you really have to try Briggs and BDB on audio! You'll love them!

message 73: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) BDB is great on audio.

message 74: by Wendalyn (new)

Wendalyn Hoff | 15 comments LOL Melanie I so agree with the road rage thing which is why I started listening to them in the first place. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed them. I look forward to my audible credits every month. Plus they have alot for under $10 which is same price these days as a paperback. Not sure why some of them take so dang long to get on audible. I haven't listened or read any of Richelle Mead's so I will need to do that. I like the Fever books by Karen Moning also the narrator was great she is what makes that book worth listening to.

I also see they are releasing more of the Sherrilyn Kenyon dark series on audible which I will definately need those. I read the series and listening to the last few on audio will be nice to listen to the whole series though.

Charlaine Harris - I like hers on Audio too all of her series...

message 75: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Wendalyn - only one warning with the Dark Hunter series. She changes narrators A LOT! So make sure that you listen to the clips before just buying them. Overall, I've really enjoyed the ones that I've gotten so far, but there have been a couple of narrators that just make me cringe!

message 76: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) A bad narrator can ruin a book.

message 77: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2873 comments Sandra wrote: "A bad narrator can ruin a book."

That is so very true!!

message 78: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 105 comments I agree!

message 79: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mlsimmons) | 42 comments I have stopped listening to a book because of a bad narrator.

message 80: by Sandra (last edited May 18, 2010 06:24PM) (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Audible is having a sale of 100 books for 9.95. I just bought a BDB, a Guy Gavriel Kay and a mystery. There's also a Karen Marie Monig (is that her name?) I always listen to the sample before i buy now.

message 81: by Wendalyn (new)

Wendalyn Hoff | 15 comments Sweet I will have to go and check that out. Karen Marie Moning books are great on Audible I love the narrator. They are all the same on all of her books. I gotta go look now.

message 82: by Wendalyn (last edited May 18, 2010 07:03PM) (new)

Wendalyn Hoff | 15 comments I ended up getting Gena Showalter - Lords of Underworld 4 - Laurell K Hamilton - Meredith Gentry 2 - Rachel Vincent Pride - Jennifer Armintrout Blood Ties. and Christine Feehan Hidden Current.

They also have Mary Janice Davidson, Brenda Joyce, Kelley Armstrong, Richelle Mead, Diana Gabeldon, Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison - Which I already have but they are all good ones. I haven't listened to the Brenda Joyce one yet but others are good. The sale is only 48 hours...

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Wendalyn wrote: "Sweet I will have to go and check that out. Karen Marie Moning books are great on Audible I love the narrator. They are all the same on all of her books. I gotta go look now."

actually the latest book has a new narrator and a guy reads the guy parts.....I don't like the new girl as much as the old one....

message 84: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Glad I was able to give you a tip!

message 85: by Wendalyn (new)

Wendalyn Hoff | 15 comments Nichole wrote: "Wendalyn wrote: "Sweet I will have to go and check that out. Karen Marie Moning books are great on Audible I love the narrator. They are all the same on all of her books. I gotta go look now."

act..."
Oh that is right I forgot about that cause I really didn't care for the guy a whole lot but I absolutely can't wait till the next book comes out. I think it comes out in December if I remember right. I hate it cause I listen to these dang books like I just listened to the last one for PC Cast burned which was great but now the next book probably doesn't come out till next year and I will forget what the heck is happening just like now I am listening to the latest of Charlaine Harris and I can't remember what happened on the last one LOL

message 86: by Wendalyn (new)

Wendalyn Hoff | 15 comments Sandra wrote: "Glad I was able to give you a tip!"

Thanks I will tell my husband it is your fault I spent $60 haha.. I never feel bad spending only $10 on an audible though it is worth the enjoyment. I normally get their emails since I belong to their club but for some reason I never got this sale :-(

message 87: by Sandra (last edited May 18, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Wendalyn wrote: "Nichole wrote: "Wendalyn wrote: "Sweet I will have to go and check that out. Karen Marie Moning books are great on Audible I love the narrator. They are all the same on all of her books. I gotta go..."

I have all the Sookie books on audio and have listened to them all the way through back to back a couple of times. Love them...

And I'll take the blame for the $60 but I always think that money I spend on books doesn't really count, kind of like the calories I eat standing up!

message 88: by Wendalyn (new)

Wendalyn Hoff | 15 comments LOL I will have to remember that calories eaten while standing up don't count.

I agree I love Sookie novels as well as any of the Charlaine Harris ones on Audio. I have almost finished all the Aurora Teagarden series too that is another good one along with Harper Connelly ones which I was sad they had to end I really loved the characters and the narrator was excellent.

I am patiently waiting for Sherrilyn Kenyons "The Chronicles of Nick" which comes out on Audible next Tuesday.

message 89: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Nichole wrote: "actually the latest book has a new narrator and a guy reads the guy parts.....I don't like the new girl as much as the old one...."

I think that she was probably talking about the Highlander series. Phil Gigante (the guy that does the guy parts in the last Fever book) reads all of the Highlander books. And he does a great job!

message 90: by Pam G (new)

Pam G (pgarey) | 17 comments I just finished listening to KMM's Fever series - had to suffer through Joyce Bean as narrator for 3 books -although she's not the worst narrator I've forced myself to listen to. However, the last book, Dreamfever, had a new female narrator, and Phil Gigante doing all the male parts----mmmmmm good!

My favorite narrator is Susan Erickson, she narrates the In Death series by JD Robb. Her voice characterizations of all the different characters is truly magnificent.

message 91: by Sam (new)

Sam | 139 comments Susan Erickson is awesome. I've just spent Oct - May listening to the whole "in death series". Last week I started listening the Tess Gerristen book that has just been released Girl Missingwhere she is reading and I keep expecting Eve to show up. LOL.

If you go to Karen Marie Moning's site she has some sound clips ring tones of Phil Gigante from the Highlander series. . . http://www.karenmoning.com/news/ringt...

message 92: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Sam wrote: "Susan Erickson is awesome. I've just spent Oct - May listening to the whole "in death series". Last week I started listening the Tess Gerristen book that has just been released [book:Girl Missin..."

Yes, I enjoyed that series also.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Don't know if it is any good or not but Audible has this book (1st in series) for free
http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/prod...

message 94: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Nichole - What the name of the book? I'm doing a test with audible for their new beta site so I can't get to that link.

message 95: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2873 comments Kelley Anne it is

The Sacrifice: The Fey, Book 1
Unabridged
By
Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Opps....that would have been helpful....my brain is not fully functioning today.....

message 97: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments You and me both Nichole, thanks for the heads up!

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Just FYI if anyone is interested Audible just added the following...
Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed, #3) by Lara Adrian
Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) by Karen Chance
Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh

message 99: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Thanks! I knew that they were slowly adding in the Lara Adrian series, but I've been wondering when they'd finally add another of the Karen Chance ones!

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I'm glad Curse the Dawn is finally on audio....now if only they would get the rest of the Night Huntress series on audio.....

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mountain Laurel (other topics)
Spell of the Highlander (other topics)
The Hunger Games (other topics)
Fantasy Lover (other topics)
Dead in the Family (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Marie Moning (other topics)
Patricia Briggs (other topics)
Richelle Mead (other topics)