Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Young Adult Fiction > Young Adult Fiction Bookshelf

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 901 comments Mod
This bookshelf is for young adult fiction. Readers and authors are invited to share some of their favorite books in this genre!

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 901 comments Mod
The View From the Cherry Tree
The View From the Cherry Tree by Willo Davis Roberts

Man...I read this one such a long time ago...

message 3: by Alicia (last edited Dec 06, 2009 11:21AM) (new)

Alicia | 3 comments I have many books that I like in this genre but two of my favorites are
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling
and
Breaking dawn
Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer

Gloria (GloriaOliver) | 20 comments Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine And all the books after

Prom Dates from Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore (Haven't read the sequels yet, but expect them to be just as good!

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones Actually all her YA Fantasy is loads of fun!

Have Space Suit-Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein Mr Heinlein had a handful of books specifically for the YA market. Old stuff but oh so good!

David Simpson (DavidSimpson) | 9 comments Post-Human by David Simpson
Post-Human by David  Simpson

Carol (SweetChinaDoll) | 2 comments Baling
Try this book out and reduce me to tears of joy! snif...

Guido Henkel (GuidoHenkel) | 51 comments My "Jason Dark: Ghost Hunter" seems to resonate pretty well with young adults and has been written deliberately without overt graphic violence.

Jason Dark - Ghost Hunter  Demon's Night (Volume 1) by Guido Henkel Jason Dark - Ghost Hunter  Theater of Vampires (Volume 2) by Guido Henkel Jason Dark - Ghost Hunter  Ghosts Templar (Volume 3) by Guido Henkel

Steven (TBones) | 381 comments I highly recommend the Nightmare Academy books by Dean Lorey for all the young adults and heck old adults too. It's such a fun read and I am looking forward to the 3rd book in the series coming out this summer.
Also try The Ranger's Apprentice books by John Flanagan as well. I think he is up to book 7 in the stores now. Lot's of great action in these books.

Russ Woody | 17 comments Hey
Just wanted to brag a little... "The Wheel of Nuldoid" is a Finalist in Foreward Magazine's Book of the Year Awards, for Young Adult Fiction.
Don't worry, I've got family to make sure I don't get too uppity.
www.Nuldoid.com
Russ

Steven (TBones) | 381 comments Guido wrote: "My "Jason Dark: Ghost Hunter" seems to resonate pretty well with young adults and has been written deliberately without overt graphic violence.

[bookcover:Jason Dark - Ghost Hunter: Demon's Night|..."

I am going to put your three books in my to-read list. Even if I don't get to them too soon I know my daughter will definitely want to read them.

Steven (TBones) | 381 comments Gloria wrote: "Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine And all the books after

Prom Dates from Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore (Haven't read the sequels yet, but expect them to be just as good!

[bookcover:Howl's Moving Castle|6..."

I didn't realize that Howl's Moving Castle was a book first. We have a copy of the animated movie and I really liked it. I like a lot of those types of movies and my daughter and son really enjoy them too.

D.E. Knobbe (DEKnobbe) | 5 comments I just got my best review ever and wanted to share because I thought this guy did a better job of summing up my book than I ever could...how funny is that. Okay here it is
Bookreview.com reviewer Eric Jones
Before we start, I've got to say that "Runaway Storm" is a novel for teenagers that is completely vampire and wizard free, and that alone makes it worth buying for the thirteen or fourteen year old who won't take off the glittering make-up and keeps running around biting things. Recalling books that were popular when I was young, like Gary Paulson's "The Hatchet" or even Twain's immortal "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", debut novelist D.E. Knobbe has entered the squall with her bow forward and paddles flailing in a tour-de-force for the teenage adventurer.
Nate is a modern day fifteen year old; arrogant and angry at the hand dealt to him by his divorced parents. After his father abruptly cancels a kayak trip for business, Nate decides that it's the last straw. With some help from his friends he takes the 'Solace', a new fiberglass kayak that his father had planned on giving him for his birthday (Kids, just think of the Nimbus 2000 on water), and sets to sea alone to kayak along the Trincomali Channel off the coast of Vancouver. What's meant to be only a few day camping trip whisks Nate out on a journey that will take him to deserted islands, adventurous new friends, and a furious entanglement with some ruthless druglords.

In keeping with the attraction of a series, "Runaway Storm" is episodic in nature, so there are many smaller arcs that build into its larger theme of trying to get home. Along the way, Nate discovers his own strength and character, and overcomes his teenage arrogance, recognizing a need for self-sacrifice that so many teenagers are often blind to. Knobbe's writing is brisk, and leaps from the page in quick succession, making every page jump after the page before it. There is no flaw here, and you'll find yourself quickly reaching for the next book in the series.

Greenleaf Book Group hasn't mentioned when the next one will be out, but it should follow soon. The combination of realism and survivalism is a much needed antidote to a genre infected with fantasies that only promote a teenager's sense of entitlement. If "Where's my Edward?" is the catch phrase of the new decade, then D.E. Knobbe's "Runaway Storm" is the answer.
Runaway Storm by D. E. Knobbe

Tika Newman (TikaNewman) | 25 comments What a wonderful review!

Tika :)

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 6 comments Guido wrote: "My "Jason Dark: Ghost Hunter" seems to resonate pretty well with young adults and has been written deliberately without overt graphic violence.

[bookcover:Jason Dark - Ghost Hunter: Demon's Night|..."

Hmmm - might have to look into these...

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 07, 2010 12:41PM) (new)

Harriet Klausner #1 Reviewer for Amazon since 2008

ALLON....

"...With a strong nod towards Christopher Paolini's Inheritance fantasy saga, Allon is a superb coming of age quest fantasy. Ellis is a terrific teenager who eagerly wants to fight while his handlers demand flight. The support cast is solid especially the heroes die to defend the prince and the evil duet. Targeting young adults, anyone who enjoys Eragon (book or movie) will want to journey to the fallen land of Allon where hope was flickering out until now."

[image error]

www.allonbooks.com

message 17: by Kevis (last edited Apr 07, 2010 01:41PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (KevisHendrickson) | 47 comments Here are three excellent young adult fantasy books that I'd like to recommend to readers:

Max and the Gatekeeper by James Todd Cochrane

Max and the Gatekeeper by James Todd Cochrane. It's cut from the same cloth as Harry Potter, but features a storyline that mixes technology and magic. What's great about this book is that it features a young boy and girl as the protagonists. Max and the Gatekeeper caught me by surprise and I haven't forgotten it since. Do yourself a favor and READ THIS BOOK!

Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta (The Persephane Pendrake Chronicles) by Lady Ellen

Another young adult fantasy book I highly recommend, especially to young girls tired of boys getting all the action, is Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta by Lady Ellen. Despite the horrendous cover, Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta is one of the wittiest and most intriguing young adult fantasy books I've read. The book is better known in Canada where the author resides. Unfortunately, it hasn't made a dent in the US. I'm hoping more people will ignore the terrible book cover and give this book a try so that they can discover the magic within.

The Legend of Witch Bane by Kevis Hendrickson

Last but not least, I'd like to offer up my own creation The Legend of Witch Bane. Rather than toot my own horn, I invite you to click on the link below so you can check out the reader reviews. That way you can decide if you'd like to give my book a spin.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Witch-Ba...

Enjoy the books!

Jaleta Clegg | 41 comments And my to-be-read list keeps growing...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
Dianna Wynn Jones rocks!

Sandra | 2 comments Here's a belly-laughing good read that will intrigue teens and young adults, "Reflections in My Tea," by Sandra Porter. Enjoy the ride! (www.sanporter.com)

Lady (BestNewFantasySeries) | 78 comments Kevis wrote: Despite the horrendous cover, Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta is one of the wittiest and most intriguing young adult fantasy books I've read.

LOL! Ok, Kevis..I've had your cover comments in mind for a long time..so hopefully you'll like this...
I've just edited and re-published my first book as "The Persephane Pendrake Chronicles-One-The Cimaruta with a brand new, lovely (I think) cover!

Have a peek:
http://budurl.com/Persy

In Dreams and Magic
Lady Ellen

Audrey (Audrey_G) | 33 comments Sandra wrote: "Here's a belly-laughing good read that will intrigue teens and young adults, "Reflections in My Tea," by Sandra Porter. Enjoy the ride! (www.sanporter.com)"

This is great - thanks, Sandra! My teen will love this.

Alan (CoachMT) | 46 comments Seems I missed this thread somehow! O.o Here's my YA Fantasy/Adventure: A Measure of Disorder

Sandra | 2 comments You're welcome, Audrey. Let me know of her comments. It is two stories in one and by the time she gets to Chapter 5,she will be in the teens and young adults exclusive section. But the mystery lies throughout the entire book from the first page to the very end. It all ties together. Tell her "happy reading!"

Sandra

Audrey (Audrey_G) | 33 comments Great - I will - thanks!

Carmen | 21 comments To celebrate the release of my YA fantasy Two Moon Princess with a new cover in paperback, I´m offering two copies at the GoodReads giveaway.

Don´t forget to sign atÑ

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

Sally Cabot (sallycabotgunning) | 16 comments Library Journal and quite a large number of readers felt that my new historical novel, The Rebellion of Jane Clarke: A Novelwas excellent YA material, and a wonderful vehicle for middle school students in particular, who are encouraged to look beyond face value at the "facts" of things. RJC is about a young woman who struggles with a loss of trust in those dear to her heart. She ends up involved in the Boston Massacre, and finds the courage to look behind the "facts" for the truth.

message 27: by Kevis (last edited Jun 21, 2010 02:37AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (KevisHendrickson) | 47 comments Lady wrote: "Kevis wrote: Despite the horrendous cover, Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta is one of the wittiest and most intriguing young adult fantasy books I've read.

LOL! Ok, Kevis..I've had your cove..."

Lady Ellen, I'm so sorry I didn't see your post until now. But that is a stunningly beautiful cover for Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta! It's absolutely enchanting and really transports the reader into Persephane's magical world. Wonderful job and congratulations! Your book is such a delightful read. I hope readers check it out!

Lindsay Paige (authorlindsaypaige) | 2 comments Some of my favorite YA books are The Mortal Instruments series, The Truth about Forever, Rain, Hate List, and The Study Series by Maria V. Snyder.

K.D. Brogdon (KDBrogdon) | 26 comments The Panamanian Princess by K.D. BrogdonK.D. Brogdon
Panama 1902
The President of Panama calls upon an American Hero, a Rough Rider for help. President Teddy Roosevelt sends his friend to Panama, a man who falls in love with a Panamanian Princess...

Kate Kaynak (KateKaynak) | 3 comments Minder
Minder (A Ganzfield Novel) by Kate Kaynak

Sixteen-year-old Maddie Dunn is special, but she needs to figure out how to use her new abilities before somebody else gets hurt. Ganzfield is a secret training facility full of people like her, but it's not exactly a nurturing place.

Every social interaction carries the threat of mind-control. A stray thought can burn a building to the ground. And people's nightmares don't always stay in their own heads.

But it's still better than New Jersey. Especially once she meets the man of her dreams…

Praise for Minder:

A Reading Teen "What to Read This Summer" Pick
"Absolutely flawless!" - Kit, Reading Teen
http://www.readingteen.net/2010/06/ar...

"Minder is dynamic, original, thoughtful, and entrancing...nothing short of brilliant." - Book Crazy
http://www.book-crazy.com/2010/07/min...

"Suspenseful, enchanting, and romantic, Minder is a great start to an exciting new series." - Ellz Readz http://ellzreadz.blogspot.com/2010/06...

"Clever and creative...this book sucked me in and would not let me go--not that I would have wanted it to." - Escape Between The Pages
http://escapebetweenthepages.blogspot...

The story continues in August 2010 with
Adversary
Adversary (The Second Ganzfield Novel) by Kate Kaynak

Maggi Andersen | 10 comments My young adult novel WAVING AT THE MOON is a post-apocalyptic story set in outback Australia, coming soon to Eternal Press.
BLURB ~ WAVING AT THE MOON
After seventeen-year-old Evie’s parents die in a bomb attack on their city, she and her sixteen-year-old cousin, Marcus are left to fend for themselves in their isolated, outback hotel as drought causes everything to die around them.
Just as their position becomes desperate, eighteen-year-old Joel arrives at the hotel, riding an ancient motorbike with a sidecar. He and his dog, Rasputin, bring food and new hope.
The three teenagers and the dog head for the coast where they hope to find somewhere that sustains life and people. More on my website.
Maggi Coleman
http://www.maggiandersenauthor.com

Amber Lehman (amber_lehman73) | 28 comments One of my favorite YA novels is Wintergirls. It deals with the subject of anorexia and bulimia in teens and was very well written and original.

Amber

Deborah Brodie (pristine) | 44 comments Hi everyone!

My latest romance novel, "In His Love," is a YA!

Check it out!

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

In His Love by Deborah Brodie

message 34: by William (last edited Aug 17, 2010 05:26PM) (new)

William | 46 comments William_D_Burt
The King of the Trees

This is the first book in my "King of the Trees" fantasy series of 7 titles (so far). It's an especially great series for those who enjoy Narnia or Middle Earth, griffins and dragons and other mythical creatures. The King of the Trees makes a wonderful readaloud, too. (I purposely included a glossary and pronunciation guide at the back of each title in my series.)

"What do an old wooden box, a jeweled pendant and some mysterious, green-garbed strangers share in common? When Rolin son of Gannon sets out to solve this riddle, his adventures take him worlds beyond the walls of his little log cabin. On their perilous quest for the blessed Isle of Luralin, Rolin and some grumpy griffins must trust the King with their very lives."

Sequels:
Torsils in Time
The Golden Wood
The Greenstones
The Downs
Kyleah's Mirrors
The Birthing Tree

Feel free to join our King of the Trees fan group, which is at: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

You can also check out and order copies from our website, http://www.greencloaks.com.

“The greatest help oft comes in harm’s disguise to those with trusting hearts and open eyes."

Have a great summer vacation!

message 35: by Jeanne (last edited Sep 04, 2010 11:49AM) (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 42 comments Unlocked by Jaimey Grant Ten YA stories by nine Goodreads authors. A wonderful variety of stories that will appeal to YA and adult readers. Each story is unlocked with a key of some kind. You can download a free copy here -> Unlocked

Kristen  (yogamamareads) I agree Amber. Wintergirls is a haunting book! Being able to get into the mind of an anorexic teen was fascinating.

Ednah Walters (Authorednah) | 6 comments My young adult novel AWAKENED is a book about the Guardians, descendants of the fallen angels charged with defending humanity against demons. It is the first book in the GUARDIAN LEGACY series.

HERE'S THE BLURB:Most teens turn sixteen and get the license to drive, but Lil Falcon gets the license to kill demons. Orphaned as a child and raised by an eccentric grandfather, Lil is concerned with surviving high school and is unaware that she's a Guardian-a being with super powers charged with killing demons and protecting humanity. When she meets Bran, a mysterious boy with amazing abilities, his psi energy unlocks her latent powers. But Bran has a secret that can ruin their growing relationship, and the truth she discovers may destroy everything she believes in unless she finds the right balance between love and sacrifice.

AWAKENED IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.COM, B&N.COM AND BORDERS.COM

The trailer can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIVqhq...

The book is available here: http://www.amazon.com/Awakened-Book-O...

Rebecca Russell (Vigorio) | 20 comments Coming soon The Seraphym Wars Series Book 1 ODESSA due out April 2011; prequel Guardian (of the Prophecy) due out Sept 2011.

According to prophecy, Myrna must gather the remaining six demon-hunter Vigorios then train with the Majikals on an enchanted island. But first she has to get them there.

Lust, greed, ambition, betrayal threaten to derail the quest 18 year old Myrna is required to accomplish before she is allowed to return home to her family and Earth. Just gathering the demon-fighting teens called The Vigorios isn’t enough, she must guide them to the enchanted island where the Majikals await their arrival for training. Then she must lead the band of misfits into the dragons’ den for the ultimate battle between good and evil in the war between the Seraphym and the Demons.

[image error]

Find out more at:
http://yellowhatauthor.com
http://seraphymwars.com

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbm6GQ...

Rebecca Russell (Vigorio) | 20 comments Ednah wrote: "My young adult novel AWAKENED is a book about the Guardians, descendants of the fallen angels charged with defending humanity against demons. It is the first book in the GUARDIAN LEGACY series.
..."

Sounds fascinating and eerily similar to my own. LOL I think this is the hot topic right now. I see a lot of new stuff coming out like ours. I'll be ordering a copy of yours to read.

Maggi Andersen | 10 comments Waving At The Moon by Maggi Andersen Published this week with Eternal Press. Available on Amazon Kindle and soon in print.
Excerpt.
When Evie and the boys crawled sleepily out from their blanket,
the sky was a hazy duck-egg blue and the sun a glowing egg
yolk, rising over the horizon. Seagulls swooped to gather, in noisy
conversation, around the bones of last night’s meal.
She yawned and thought about the day ahead. The end of their
journey was in sight.
“Let’s have a swim,” she called to the boys. “It will freshen us
up.”
“No sense in arriving at our new home all smelly.” Marcus
pulled off his shirt as he ran down the beach. He dived into the
ocean with a whoop.
Evie waded in, wearing her T-shirt and shorts. The water was
cold and soupy with seaweed. It caught up in her hair as she floated
about.
“You look just like a mermaid,” Joel said, swimming around
her.
She splashed out at him as he dived down, coming up close.
Grabbing her by her waist, he pulled her under. She emerged
spluttering.
“Beast!” she cried as he laughingly swam out of reach. The
briny water had gone up her nose and she was mad as a hornet. She
swam after him, not quite sure what she would do if she reached
him. But he avoided her easily with a few strokes of his long arms,
and trod water, grinning. It made her even madder. They didn’t
see the wave that hit them from behind and tossed them both into
shallower water. When he stood up to wipe his eyes, she waded up
behind him and shoved him hard, pushing him over.
He came up spitting out water. “Oh, I’ll get you,” he said, moving
towards her.
“No, you won’t,” she said, thrilled and a little afraid at the prospect.
Losing her nerve, she raced out of the water before he could
reach her.
He shook his head at her and swam away.
Evie watched the boys while picking bits of leathery weed out
of her hair. Marcus caught a wave and it deposited him in a heap of legs and arms on the sand at her feet.
“Damn it,” he said, standing up and peering into his shorts.
“Now I’ve got sand in embarrassing places.”
“That could be nasty if it chafes.” Joel ran from the water,
sweeping his dark hair out of his eyes with a careless hand.
Evie thought how graceful and deft he was. He never seemed
to make an awkward movement.

Denise | 2 comments I recommend Violence 101. It really makes you think about why kids do violent things.

Jacques Antoine (JacquesAntoine) | 20 comments Free book offer

Go No Sen (Emily Kane Stories) by Jacques Antoine
The first book of The Emily Kane Stories, Go No Sen is a YA action/adventure novel. It's available on Kindle and Nook, and anything that reads .mobi or .epub.

You can get it free at Smashwords through 12/18 with this code: MN38Z.

Here's a link to the page: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

Mark Glamack (wwwgoodreadscomuser_littluns) | 58 comments The good news found in the award winning novel "Littluns: And the Book of Darkness is a reading experience for all seasons and all reasons in the most different reading experience you will ever have. Under the most difficult of situations "Littluns" demonstrates the hope and determination of the human spirit.

Awards Won:

"Mom's Choice Awards" Gold winner “FICTION”
"Mom's Choice Awards" Gold winner “FANTASY, MYTHS and LEGENDS”
“The Dove Award”
“Indi Excellence” Finalist awards
“New York Book Expo Honorable Mention

Don't let the animation-like content fool you. Although family friendly, "Littluns" is best understood by "Young Adult" and grown-up reading on an adventure and journey of a lifetime; a Christian fantasy that takes readers beyond their imagination to reality and truth under God.

MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW. More reviews can be found on our Blog.

“Littluns: And the Book of Darkness”
Mark Glamack, Author
Mark Glamack, Illustrator
9780615169972 $29.95 www.littluns.net Because of the quality of this book, experts told us that we should have charged at least $50.oo.

Adventure, courage, and determination surround loyal friends in the fantasy novel Littluns and the Book of Darkness.

Movie Producer and Director now Author, Mark Glamack, uses his background in animation and writing to create this family friendly and Christian based young adult novel. With a mission to positively motivate, educate, enlighten and inspire through entertaining content,

Glamack uses his own spiritual guiding light to draw his readers into the struggle between good and evil in this debut novel. The Littluns and the Book of Darkness will entertain audiences of all ages with its fast paced, intriguing storyline and elaborate illustrated life of the Littluns world in the Hollow Hills of the land, Terra Fermata.

Author, Mark Glamack, shows off his artistic talent with colorful and meticulous illustrations. His veteran motion picture experience shines with expertly written detailed scene changes and engages readers with screenwriting skills that make his audience feel like they've been deep inside a high production animated movie.

Glamack has exceeded his goal in depicting the journey of life, how to choose between the light and dark side of the world while showing the gifts of friendship and how they can influence us in the shadows of our own life choices.

Littluns and the Book of Darkness is a delightful, skillfully written novel that will capture both young and mature readers and leave them with full hearts and the tools necessary to know the difference between good and evil.

Littluns and the Book of Darkness is a wonderful gift for lovers of fantasy, for parents and educators who want to offer a faith based book and for librarians who want to expand their offerings.

Sara Hassler
Reviewer
http://www.midwestbookreview.com/rbw/...

BLOG: http://www.littlunsblog.com SEE TABS at top of page. This has the most information including buying options, awards, reviews, and articles. See second TAB for awards and reviews.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I have quite a few favorites, some from authors I have found at the bookstore, and some from fellow Indie authors who have given me review books.

Here is a list of my most recent YA faves:

Before (Heven and Hell, #0.5) by Cambria Hebert
Masquerade (Heven and Hell, #1) by Cambria Hebert
Whiteout  by Cambria Hebert
The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring, #1) by Kiki Hamilton
Beyond the Western Sun (The Whisper Legacy, #1) by Kristina Circelli
This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel
The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4) by Julie Kagawa

Also, if you'd like to take a look at my books, here they are:

Clara Claus by Alexandra Lanc
The Foxfire Chronicles  Shadows of Past Memories by Alexandra Lanc