Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > Best of the Noughties

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
The Best of the Noughties: Our Favorite Reads from 2000-2009
This is according to Abebooks! :)

http://www.abebooks.com/books/2000-20...

Here are some that we mentioned...
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay-Michael Chabon
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle A Year of Food Life-Barbara Kingsolver
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius-Dave Eggers
Life of Pi-Yann Martel
The Lovely Bones-Alice Sebold
The Time Traveler's Wife-Audrey Niffenegger
Cinderella's Bum-Nicholas Allan
The Inheritance of Loss-Kiran Desai
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes-Rose A. Lewis
Seabiscuit An American Legend-Laura Hillenbrand
Me Talk Pretty One Day-David Sedaris

This is not the whole list. Just a few that were mentioned.
Has anyone read any of these?

I thought that it was great how the list mentioned that the "best" or "favorite" books were subjective. I also enjoyed the fact that they put out there that "most successful" does not equal "the best".

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I thought 'The Lovely Bones' was wonderful and unique and definitely deserves a spot on the list.

'The Time Traveler's Wife' though I didn't enjoy much at all. I thought the characters and the story were underdeveloped. In my opinion it was an average - maybe even below average - read and doesn't deserve to be labeled as one of the best of anything really. I guess favorite is different than best though. It was just a read that I was disappointed by since so many people said it was so good and somehow it made a million and a half book lists.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I'd also add The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.

I didn't look at the full list though so maybe I just missed those.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I just saw Freakonomics A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything on the list though and I've wanted to read that one forever. :)

message 5: by Pollyanna (last edited Dec 02, 2009 11:21AM) (new)

Pollyanna (Polly8) Lisa Anne wrote: "I thought 'The Lovely Bones' was wonderful and unique and definitely deserves a spot on the list.

'The Time Traveler's Wife' though I didn't enjoy much at all. I thought the characters and the ..."

I agree I only gave The Time Travellers Wife 3 stars, I just didn't connect with the characters. The Lovely Bones was a good book though.

They are the only 2 I have read so far but I do want to read Life of Pi and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the nighttime.

message 6: by stormhawk (last edited Dec 03, 2009 11:27PM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I have not read a single one of the books that you chose to list in your initial post, Joy, which is weird considering the amount of reading that I do.

Looking at ABE's page, the only ones I've read are The Road (and I wasn't impressed) and The Android's Dream, which was absolutely hilariously clever.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have only read Time Travelers Wife-I didn`t like the idea of the daughters future at the end ,so give it only a 2 or 3*
And Lovely Bones was different for me and good-4*
Cinderellas Bum???

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 188 comments I few I read and liked but many I had never even heard of

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Me Talk Pretty One Day (other topics)
Seabiscuit: An American Legend (other topics)
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes (other topics)
Life of Pi (other topics)
The Time Traveler's Wife (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Chabon (other topics)
Barbara Kingsolver (other topics)
David Sedaris (other topics)
Alice Sebold (other topics)
Yann Martel (other topics)
More...