Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > December Purchases

Comments (showing 54-103)    post a comment »

Valorie Joseph wrote: "Valorie wrote: "I made a trip to my local used book store today and bought...

Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob ThurmanMoonshine (Cal Leandros, #2) by Rob ThurmanDark Angel by Lucy Blue[bookcover:A Hoboken Hipster i..."

No problem - thanks Joseph!

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1332 comments Mod
Valorie wrote: "I made a trip to my local used book store today and bought...

Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob ThurmanMoonshine (Cal Leandros, #2) by Rob ThurmanDark Angel by Lucy Blue[bookcover:A Hoboken Hipster in Sherwood Forest|3..."

Cool Valorie. But since it's a January purchase, add it in here http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2... Ok? :-)

Valorie I made a trip to my local used book store today and bought...

Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman Moonshine (Cal Leandros, #2) by Rob Thurman Dark Angel by Lucy Blue A Hoboken Hipster in Sherwood Forest by Marianne Mancusi

First purchase of the new year!

message 100: by Rene (new)

Rene | 23 comments Thanks, Joseph. Since you like historical fiction have you read The Alienist? I really liked that one.

message 99: by Joseph (last edited Jan 01, 2010 09:03AM) (new)

Rene wrote: "Any comments on any of these?..."

Rene, you are going to love The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. One of my favorite works of Historical Fiction.

message 98: by John (last edited Jan 01, 2010 08:22AM) (new)

John I was lucky and got two gift certificates in December plus I hit a clearance table. So for December I picked up.

The Good Mayor - Andrew Nicoll
The Film Club - David Gilmour
The Prisoner of Tehran - Marina Nemat
Catfish and Mandala - Andrew X Pham
Legendary Race Cars - Basem Wasef
Gone - Michael Grant
The Great Karoo - Fred Stenson

Rene | 23 comments I bought several books today with my Kindle gift certificate.

13 1/2 by Nevada Barr
Dark Pursuit by Brandilyn Collins
Exposure by Brandilyn Collins
The Grove by John Rector
The Physick Book of Deliverance by Katherine Howe
The River by Maria Rachel Hooley
This Family of Mine: What it was like growing up Gotti by Victoria Gotti
The Walk by Lee Goldberg
The White Lady Murder by Wendy Potocki

Any comments on any of these?

Valorie wrote: "Thanks for making me feel better Joseph! I'll cancel my trip to book rehab! ..."

Valerie, if anyone needs a trip to book rehab, it's definately me. Not only did I get a great deal at Borders on National Geographic Complete Birds of North America but I also brought home used from the library: The Devil's Arithmetic and The men-of-war.
That brings me to finish the month with 81 total. Not a bad way to end the year, we'll see what next year brings.

Happy New Year everyone!

Valorie Joseph wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Holy Moly, that bring my total this month to 26!"
Valorie, that's nothing. I just brought home another used book from the library to bring me up to 78 now. Still two days left i..."

Thanks for making me feel better Joseph! I'll cancel my trip to book rehab!

LooLoo | 125 comments I think I've bought a total of 4 books this month. That is great for me. That's the least amount I've bought in one month this whole year!

Valorie wrote: "Holy Moly, that bring my total this month to 26!"
Valorie, that's nothing. I just brought home another used book from the library to bring me up to 78 now. Still two days left in December. I've got a Borders coupon that might at least bring me up to 79. lol

Valorie Just bought from the used book store today with Christmas money....

Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1) by Melissa Mayhue Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2) by Melissa Mayhue Sucker Bet (Vegas Vampires, #4) by Erin McCarthy The Rest Falls Away (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Colleen Gleason Secondhand Spirits  A Witchcraft Mystery by Juliet Blackwell Angel Of Mercy (Mercy Hollings, #2) by Toni Andrews

Holy Moly, that bring my total this month to 26!

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Just ordered 5 more from bookdepository. Spent my Christmas money :)
Uncanny Stories (Mystery & Supernatural S.) (Mystery & Supernatural) by May Sinclair Anne of Green Gables  (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery Maggie  A Girl of the Streets and Other Stories (Wordsworth American Classics) (Wordsworth American Classics) by Stephen Crane Lily - QUICK READ (Quick Reads) by Adele Geras The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
I think that's probably it now for this year...

Valorie Joseph wrote: "Valerie, you're going to like Demon Mistress."

Thanks! I cant wait to jump into it!

Ilean (IleanFulton) | 159 comments None so far! Reading what I have got.

Valerie, you're going to like Demon Mistress.

message 86: by Valorie (last edited Dec 26, 2009 06:59PM) (new)

Valorie i just got 2 more for Christmas and bought 3 more from the used book store!
Demon Mistress (Sisters of the Moon, #6) by Yasmine Galenorn Dead Girls Are Easy (Nicki Styx, #1) by Terri Garey Guardians  Eternally (Book 1) (Silhouette Nocturne) by Maureen Child Turned (The Blood Lily Chronicles, #3) by Julie Kenner [image error]

That brings my total this month to 20!

Valorie I bought 4 from the used book store a few days ago....
Legend of the Jade Dragon (Chintz 'n China, #2) by Yasmine Galenorn Even Vampires Get the Blues (Dark Ones, #4) by Katie MacAlister The Last of the Red-Hot Vampires (Dark Ones, #5) by Katie MacAlister Zen and the Art of Vampires (Dark Ones, #6) by Katie MacAlister

message 84: by Michelle (last edited Dec 24, 2009 12:40PM) (new)

Michelle | 474 comments I finally found a copy of Magic in the Wind (Drake Sisters,  #1)  by Christine Feehan at the used bookstore. I also bought a few others that I've added to the "bought in 12/09" shelf.

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Bought two more today:
Cold Cases  On the Trail of Justice by Charlotte Greig Storybook Favourites in Cross Stitch by Gillian Souter
That makes it 13 for this month. An unlucky number! I'd better buy some more...

Rebekah Choat (beckachoat) OK - went into Half Price Books yesterday to finish Christmas shopping for youngest daughter; wound up with 2 books for her, 3 for older daughter, and 3 for me...

Congrats Kathryn!

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Technically not a purchase but I won this in a goodreads giveaway. It arrived today. Education, Edukation, Edukashun by James Rainsford

message 79: by [deleted user] (new)

December Purchases

For myself:

My Life and Hard Times/Thurber
The Heart of the Matter/Greene
The Defense/Nabokov
Glory/Nabokov
Ada, or Ardor/Nabokov
Jeeves and the Tie That Binds/Wodehouse
Blindness/Saramego
The Things They Carried/O'Brien
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close/Foer (replacement copy)
Motherless Brooklyn/Lethem (replacement copy)
The Man Who Was Thursday/Chesterton
Safety In Objects/Homes
Something I've been Meaning to Tell You/Munro

For others:

The Lovable Little Misses/Hargreaves (3 sets)
The Last Olympian/Riordan
Marvel Heroes Mix & Match (2 copies)
Barbie Mix & Match
Snow Bugs/Carter
Cars and Trucks and Things That Go/Scarry
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book/Kinney
Junie B.'s Essential Survival Guide to School/Park
Christmas Puppies
Christmas Kittens
Pokemon Ultimate Essential Guide/West

For my classroom:

Wayside School is Falling Down/Sachar
Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger/Sachar
Fantastic Mr. Fox/Dahl
The Man-Eating Tigers of the Sundarbans/Montgomery

message 78: by Linda (last edited Dec 21, 2009 06:56PM) (new)

message 77: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Dec 20, 2009 08:43AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I bought For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1) by Laura Kinsale and Shadowheart (Medieval Hearts, #2) by Laura Kinsale on eBay for $1.00 each.

message 76: by Joseph (last edited Dec 20, 2009 09:30AM) (new)

I have some fun buying used books. Brought home a variety of reference books and classics to bring me up to 73 for December so far.

Michelle | 474 comments I also bought Born of Night (League Series, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Ivy Cole and the Moon by Gina Farago by by Gina Farago, [image error] by Caitlin Kittredge, and Beneath A Blood Red Moon (Vampire, Book 1) by Shannon Drake by Shannon Drake.

Michelle | 474 comments Today I bought Desire Untamed (Feral Warriors, #1) by Pamela Palmer for $.05. I was really excited. Then I got home and saw "advance readers edition-not for sale" on the back cover and side. I was so excited over the price that I didn't even look it over at the store. I was told once that advance copies sometimes differ from the edition released to the public. Does anyone know if that's true?

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments I didn't like the empty shelves on my new bookcase so I visited the used book store again. I bought these four:
The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld The Worlds Greatest Unsolved Crimes by Roger Boar Second Form at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton Gorilla Adventure (Red Fox Older Fiction) by Willard Price
They were less than 50p each, such a bargain!

LooLoo | 125 comments Joseph wrote: "Actually Looloo, I have already read it and liked it so much I wanted to own it so I could reread it. I thought the story traveled very well, no slow spots, lots of action that held my interest. ..."

Glad you liked it. I will probably read the next one because I thought the first had potential but I really struggled with it and thought it fell a little flat. I'm not sure if it was my state of mind while reading it or just that first book/new world building problem.

Actually Looloo, I have already read it and liked it so much I wanted to own it so I could reread it. I thought the story traveled very well, no slow spots, lots of action that held my interest. I found the concept of a shapeshifting, hunter of vampires that could turn into ANY animal to be something brand-new and very different from the many other urban fantasy series I've read. Most other authors I have read often have the shifter restricted to one form, be it wolf, bear, rat, etc. Being the first in the series, There were lots of different relationships introduced between the main character with many other interesting characters. I'm hoping the romantic and other relationships will develop more in the next book. This one could have used a bit more romance, I thought. I also like how the author defined her vampires and vampire community, not completely new but different enough from the usual to keep me happy. I also liked how the story took place in New Orleans, one of the cities I like to read fiction about. I kind of hope the author keeps the stories there, I think she introduced enough in the first book to build a good foundation for the series there. All in all, this one is near the top of my list for favorite UF.

LooLoo | 125 comments Joseph wrote: "Just bought Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter at Borders. That makes 21."

I'll be anxious to see what you think of that book Joseph. I really struggled to get through it.

message 69: by Joseph (last edited Dec 17, 2009 04:55PM) (new)

Just bought Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter at Borders. That makes 21.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I have been doing a lot of shopping at barnesandnoble.com through their bargain books section. I've gotten several books for about $3 each.

Yesterday, from a used bookstore, I got Flowers from the Storm and The Hidden Heart by Laura Kinsale for just a couple dollars each!

LooLoo | 125 comments Brittany wrote: "So I made a trip to the thrift store again and bought The Shadow of the Wind, The Kite Runner, The Shack, Zen The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and two other good looking books all for a total of...."

Wow, I'm totally impressed!

message 66: by Brittany (last edited Dec 16, 2009 08:09PM) (new)

Brittany | 16 comments So I made a trip to the thrift store again and bought The Shadow of the Wind, The Kite Runner, The Shack, Zen The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and two other good looking books all for a total of... drumroll please... $4!

YES! I rock.

Michelle | 474 comments Kathryn wrote: "The other book I ordered from bookdepository arrived today. The Moonlight by Joyce Cary I'm tempted to go and order some more now..."

I finally received White Witch, Black Curse (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #7) by Kim Harrison from the bookdepository. I'm going to resist the temptation to buy anymore right now. I've also received a bunch that I won on ebay. With the exception of some that I have on order and a new release on the 29th, I'm done for the rest of the month.

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments The other book I ordered from bookdepository arrived today. The Moonlight by Joyce Cary I'm tempted to go and order some more now...

Ilean (IleanFulton) | 159 comments Nothing for me so far this month. Out of money.

Waqas Zaib | 8 comments book marked it lol. thanks

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Waqas wrote: "their are 3 books right in that series?"

Yeah, there's Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study.

message 59: by Joseph (last edited Dec 14, 2009 02:07PM) (new)

B&N is Barnes and Noble
bd is www.Bookdepository.com , a bibliophiles dream/nightmare rolled into one. Such a great place to shop it can drain your wallet SO fast. lol

Waqas Zaib | 8 comments what is B&N and bd? From England sorry

message 57: by Susan (Suz) (last edited Dec 14, 2009 01:59PM) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Last week I got the following:

from B&N:
The Harlequin (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #15) by Laurell K. Hamilton, The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3) by Karen Marie Moning, Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4) by Karen Marie Moning

from bd.com:
Divine Misdemeanors (Meredith Gentry, #8) by Laurell K. Hamilton & Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris

Waqas Zaib | 8 comments their are 3 books right in that series?

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments Waqas wrote: "I bought Posion Study and Wizard and Witches"

I love Poison Study it's one of my favourites

Waqas Zaib | 8 comments I bought Posion Study and Wizard and Witches

« previous 1 3