Victorians! discussion

Nominations > Jan/Feb Nominations

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Boof (last edited Dec 01, 2009 02:56AM) (new)

Boof | 956 comments It's time to nominate for the first book of 2010. It is a Neo-Victorian group read and the rules are:

1) This must be a book that is set (or majority set) between 1837-1901 but NOT published then
2) Only ONE nomination per person please. If more than one book is nominated I will only accept the your first nomination
3) Nominations end on 5th Dec when voting will open

Have fun!

Debbie Windley | 10 comments The Children's Book

I'd like to nominate this book altho I realise that you have already read an AS Byatt book.

I would also be really keen to read anything by Charles Pallister - if anyone else is thinking of nominating his work. I loved The Quinucx

Annie (SmallBookBlogger) | 17 comments I am not positive but pretty sure this book works with the dates... it's one of my all time favorites. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Natalie (littleblackdogs) | 9 comments Boof wrote: "It's time to nominate for the first book of 2010. It is a Neo-Victorian group read and the rules are:

1) This must be a book that is set (or majority set) between 1837-1901 but NOT published t..."

I would also like to read The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt

Heidi The children's book is probably at the top of my list, but just for the sake of variety, here are some other suggestions:

The meaning of night by Michael Cox
The glass of time by Michael Cox
Mr. Timothy by Louis Bayard (Tiny Tim grows up and solves a mystery)
The Last Dickens (also about Dickens' last novel, "The mystery of Edwin Drood" and therefore interesting to compare with "Drood")

Boof | 956 comments Annie wrote: "I am not positive but pretty sure this book works with the dates... it's one of my all time favorites. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry"

Annie, I checked and this takes place in the 1880's so it fits. This has been on my TBR list for ages too.

Boof | 956 comments Heidi wrote: "The children's book is probably at the top of my list, but just for the sake of variety, here are some other suggestions:

Mr. T..."

Heidi, do you want me to take The Meaning of Night as your nominations? (it's only one per person).

Maggie | 111 comments The Meaning of Night

message 10: by Christopher (last edited Dec 03, 2009 10:23AM) (new)

Christopher H. (christopher_h) A.S. Byatt's "The Children's Book."

Daphne (Daphne2163) The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

Laurie Dunn-Schmidt (LEAFHOPPER) | 2 comments Boof wrote: "It's time to nominate for the first book of 2010. It is a Neo-Victorian group read and the rules are:

1) This must be a book that is set (or majority set) between 1837-1901 but NOT published t..."

I'm new to this group, and I'm psyched to begin. I'd like to nominate "Lady Audley's Secret." by Mary Elizabeth Braddon.

Kate  | 41 comments Heidi wrote: "The children's book is probably at the top of my list, but just for the sake of variety, here are some other suggestions:

Mr. T..."

Really great suggestions. I'd like to nominate 'The Crimson Petal and the White'.

Darcy | 294 comments Stone's Fall, by Iain Pears. Part of it takes place in 1909, but most of it is firmly Victorian. Pears has written quite a few mysteries, but this one follows the structure of his earlier novel, An Instance of the Fingerpost. There are three sections, and each section is told by a different narrator. Each narrator provides a different solution to the crime. Very Wilkie Collins-esque!

Boof | 956 comments Laurie wrote: "Boof wrote: "It's time to nominate for the first book of 2010. It is a Neo-Victorian group read and the rules are:

1) This must be a book that is set (or majority set) between 1837-1901 but NOT..."

Hi Laurie and welcome to the group. So pleased you are joinning us. Unfortunately, this is the Neo-Victorian group read so all books were set in victorian times but not publshed then, which means that we can't iclude Laudy Audey, I'm adfraid. We alternate our reads every month though so next month we will be nominatating books published in Victorian times. Is there antying else you'd like to pick instead?

message 16: by Amanda (last edited Dec 03, 2009 05:20AM) (new)

Amanda Roper (Nerdy_book_girl) I'd like to nominate Clare Clark'sThe Nature of Monsters. It concerns "unplanned pregnancy and exploited female labor."

Stacie | 33 comments Boof wrote: "Annie wrote: "I am not positive but pretty sure this book works with the dates... it's one of my all time favorites. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry"

Annie, I checked..."

Lonesome Dove is quite a wonderful book that I often recommend to anyone that will listen. It is so much more than a "western". I am so thankful my book club chose it, otherwise I wouldn't have the memories of this fantastic book.

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 147 comments I have Byatt's "A Children's Story" winging its way to me right now.

Kate  | 41 comments Amanda wrote: "I'd like to nominate Clare Clark'sThe Nature of Monsters. It concerns "unplanned pregnancy and exploited female labor." "

Hi, Amanda! I think that The Nature of Monsters takes place in 18th century London. If I remember correctly from reading the novel a couple of years ago that the dome of St. Pauls cathedral is either still under construction after the great fire, or wasj ust finished when the novel begins, and the Great Fire of London plays an important role in the story.

Amanda Roper (Nerdy_book_girl) Gabriele wrote: "I have Byatt's "A Children's Story" winging its way to me right now."

I read the first few pages at Borders and thought it sounds like it would be a fascinating read.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 04, 2009 12:17AM) (new)

I nominate Master Georgie by Beryl Bainbridge.
Synopsis: "In 1854, when the battle of Inkerman in the Crimea was over, five survivors were hurriedly assembled in front of the camera. A sixth figure added symmetry to the group - Master Georgie. In the distance a young woman circled round and round like a bird above a robbed nest.
George Hardy, a surgeon, amateur photographer, alcoholic and repressed homosexual counters the dissipation of his prosperous Liverpool life by heading for the Crimean Peninsula in 1854. His journey and subsequent tour of duty are told in three very different voices: Myrtle, an orphan whose lifelong loyalty to her "Master Georgie" becomes an overriding obsession; Pompey Jones, street urchin, fire-eater, photographer and George's sometime lover; and Dr. Potter, George's scholarly brother-in-law, whose retreat from the war's carnage and into books takes on a tinge of madness.
United by a sudden death in a Liverpool brothel in 1846, these characters plumb the curious workings of love, war, class and fate.

It isn't a particularly long novel though, I must say, so perhaps it isn't worthy of a whole 2 months' worth of discussing. However, there are some pretty meaty topics.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Daphne, I have read The Tea Rose and it's a great book. I'd be happy to re-read if it wins. It is part of a trilogy, by the way.

Heidi I'll nominate "The meaning of Night."

message 24: by Boof (last edited Dec 04, 2009 02:10AM) (new)

Boof | 956 comments Here is a list of our current nominations:

The Children's Book The Children's Book - A S Byatt

The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) The Cater Street Hangman - Anne Perry

The Meaning of Night The Meaning of Night - Michael Cox

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurty

The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly

The Crimson Petal and the White The Crimson Petal and the White - Michael Faber

Stone's Fall  A Novel Stone's Fall - Iain Pears

Master Georgie Master Georgie - Beryl Bainbridge

What a great selection! I am already eyening up a couple of those so no need to add my own nomination.

Today is the last day to add to this list, although please only do so if there is something different that you really want to read as there is already a great selection to choose from. Then voting stars tomorrow.

Paula | 1185 comments Love that The Meaning of Night A Confessionwas nominated. I've been reading just a few pages each night and can't wait to have a chunk of time to read more; it's very engaging so far!

Boof | 956 comments We have a winner for the Jan/Feb neo read:

The Children's Book The Childrens Book by A S Byatt. This discussion will start on 1st Jan.

Debbie and Chris, you both nominated this book; would either of you like to lead the discussion?

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 147 comments Yippee! I've already started reading it.

Laurele (goodreadscomlaurele) | 243 comments Boof wrote: "We have a winner for the Jan/Feb neo read:

The Children's Book The Childrens Book by A S Byatt. This discussion will start on 1st Jan.

Debbie and Chris, you both nominated..."

I have The Children's Book on my Kindle and have read the first chapter. Intriguing.

Debbie Windley | 10 comments Boof wrote: "We have a winner for the Jan/Feb neo read:

Debbie and Chris, you both nominated..."

EEk being new to the group and not even having taken part in a discussion i'd rather not this time around. i'm sure I will be more willing with a bit of experience in the future.

Moira Russell (the_red_shoes) | 15 comments I just joined this group a bit ago and am delighted to see this book will be discussed! I've been meaning to read it for a while -- I've read a number of Byatt novels this year.

Paula | 1185 comments Hi Moira - glad you're happy about the Byatt selection! We have a group discussion for Possession as well and to be honest, I'll be checking it gradually because I still haven't finished it!

Moira Russell (the_red_shoes) | 15 comments Paula wrote: "Hi Moira - glad you're happy about the Byatt selection! We have a group discussion for Possession as well and to be honest, I'll be checking it gradually because I still haven't finished it! "

I hadn't seen that! Awesome, it's one of my favourite books ever.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Children's Book (other topics)
The Cater Street Hangman (other topics)
Lonesome Dove (other topics)
The Tea Rose (other topics)
The Nature of Monsters (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anne Perry (other topics)
Larry McMurtry (other topics)
A.S. Byatt (other topics)