The Book Addicts! discussion

The Chit Chat Board > Best Book to Listen to?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Lilbet) | 31 comments I'm a diehard fan of books on my iPod. They get me up and moving and motivate me to clean, go for a walk, etc.

So, I am asking for myself, but also for my cousin who is blind. I like to send her care packages.

Just what books did you adore listening to? Creepy and spooky, romantic, deep, informative, best seller, tear jerker... I'd love to hear about them all.

message 2: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) Blackburn (mbeth45) | 9320 comments Mod
Hi Elizabeth. There are so many great books. We just read "The Book Thief." It is sad but makes you think. It's actually advertised as a children's book but I think it's more advanced than that. We loved it.

Marbear

KarenLee | 474 comments Elizabeth,

Welcome.

If your cousin hasn't listened to Harry Potter, they are wonderful books to listen to. The actor who reads them is great!

We live in Denver CO, but used to live in SLC, UT. We still have many friends in SLC. It's a 10 hour drive and we used to listen to books on tape when we drove there with 2 teenage boys. During one trip we listened to the first Harry Potter book. The boys weren't that interested, but my husband and I were entranced and have listened to everyone since!

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2208 comments I think Agatha Christies are great on Audio if done well, they drag you in and get you gripped!

Miss GP (PDXReader) Elizabeth wrote: "I'm a diehard fan of books on my iPod. They get me up and moving and motivate me to clean, go for a walk, etc.

So, I am asking for myself, but also for my cousin who is blind. I like to send h..."

I love the Discworld books (Terry Pratchett) and the Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (the Barbara Rosenblat version, not the other one). Like you, I LOVE listening to audio books on my iPod. I've had two Audible.com memberships for about five years now, and own more than 300 audio books.

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) Miss GP, I have not done an audio book in years but after hearing so much about them through this site and since I was driving a long distance in the car by myself I got the audio of Sarah's Key. Great book in general and great one to listen to as well. This might have convinced me. Usually when I am in the car I listen to NPR, but the book thing might be even better.

Caroline | 7 comments About half the books I "read' are audiobooks. David Sedaris's books are great audiobooks, he narrates them himself, and he is so funny. I think the Middlesex audibook was great too, it was a very good production.

Kim (MrsNesbitt) | 1082 comments I don't listen to audio books, but I can suggest books/ author's too look for. Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, anything by Tim Dorsey, Kim Harrison, Laurel K. Hamilton, Karen Marie Moning's Fever series, Charlaine Harris, Mindy Klasky,......

Celeste (CelesteLueck) | 132 comments I am a diehard fan of audio books, have been for years. KarenLee, you're correct the Harry Potter series are the best audio I've ever listen to. Jim Dale is incredible. He won several awards for that series of words and was put in the Genius? book of World Record, for the number of voices he did in book 5 I think.

I'm currently listening to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss it is done very well. I've like Brsingr on audio and Angels and Demons, Nero Wolf, yes, Agatha Christie, the Alanna series by Tamora Pierce and Abarat by Clive Barker was very good

I tend not to like voice that are picked voices, but that is my preferrence.

Elizabeth (Lilbet) | 31 comments Our library system has tons of audio books that you can check out.

Our library also has NetLibrary where you can download books online. Love it. I think you can "check out" about 20 books at a time and can download to your iPod.

Anyone else have NetLibrary?

I'm making a list!

message 11: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) Blackburn (mbeth45) | 9320 comments Mod
Hi all. Last year when we went to Yellowstone I took along the first book of the Harry Potter books on CD. My daughter loved it. Which I'd gotten the whole set to take with us. It was a very, very long drive

Marbear

Dana (ANovelIdea73) | 125 comments I listened to "Dog on It" by Spencer Quinn recently and it was hysterical. The book/audio is a detective w/ canine story told from the dogs perspective. It was so much fun to listen to!

Jensownzoo | 428 comments Two authors that do a really amazing job of reading their own work (not all authors are very good voice actors) are David Sedaris and Neil Gaiman. I also enjoyed the audiobook of The Ladies of Grace Adieu so much that I'm going to purchase the audiobook of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell as well (both by Susanna Clarke).

unread topics | mark unread