The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) The Lost Symbol discussion


812 views
Was anybody else disappointed with Langdon ?

Comments (showing 51-100 of 136) (136 new)    post a comment »

Angel / YA rules!/ Sherry wrote: "I wouldn't say I was disappointed with Langdon, I was disappointed with Dan Brown. He kept us all waiting for so long I expected something much more from this book and had hoped it had been researc..."

i agree... =)


message 52: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul I'm not sure I agree Langdon was 'dumbed down'. I think maybe Brown was trying to take the character away from the constant insight and revelation and knowledge that made him a bit of a 'know-it-all' in the previous books for the sake of the storyline. It didn't work.


Claude Nougat Like everyone, I was hugely disappointed in this book. By now, I have come to the conclusion that Dan Brown is way over-rated. His best (in my humble opinion) was the first one I read: the Da Vinci Code, but then, maybe, it seemed like the best because it was the first...

Problem is, this has become a RECIPE! Once you've read one, you've read them all. You know all the ingredients (historical mystery, secrets, conspiracies etc) and you start looking more critically at the book's writing and structure. And that's when you realize it doesn't hold up under the scrutiny. Peccato, what a pity as the Italians say...


message 54: by Angel / YA rules!/ (last edited Aug 24, 2011 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angel / YA rules!/ Claude wrote: "Like everyone, I was hugely disappointed in this book. By now, I have come to the conclusion that Dan Brown is way over-rated. His best (in my humble opinion) was the first one I read: the Da Vinci..."

I agree with you. That's why I think this will be the last book I'll be reading that is written by Dan Brown... not unless, I hear that he has improved his style... =)


Claude Nougat Angel wrote: "Claude wrote: "Like everyone, I was hugely disappointed in this book. By now, I have come to the conclusion that Dan Brown is way over-rated. His best (in my humble opinion) was the first one I rea..."
Right you are! Me too!


message 56: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick In a word, yes.


message 57: by Dick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dick Peterson Angel wrote: "Claude wrote: "Like everyone, I was hugely disappointed in this book. By now, I have come to the conclusion that Dan Brown is way over-rated. His best (in my humble opinion) was the first one I rea..."

Da Vinci was good. Lost Symbol was okay. Brown's best work was Angels and Demons. His attention to accompanying historic detail deserves respect, especially its scope.


Sambath it was a wonderful read till the last 30 pages are so. robert langdon was okay as-usual. i couldnt believe and understand the ending.


message 59: by Claude (last edited Nov 02, 2011 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claude Nougat Regarding Robert Langdon's work, I can see my comment resonated and thanks to everyone for commenting back!

I would just like to add (sorry if it's yet another negative comment) that Langdon's attention to historical detail, while worthy of respect as Dick rightly pointed out, it is so only in terms of the amount of research he has put into it (but I understand he's got assistants to help him out). The actual historical details are not always reliable. I can point to definite mistakes - or more precisely: he adopts variants on History (especially regarding the Catholic Church). While these may be quite amusing in a novel, they are nevertheless not accepted by serious Historians...

This said, I strongly believe that a novelist has a right to falsify History if it makes for a good or better plot. That is what fiction is all about, and when Langdon swerves away from historical facts, I can't say I hold it against him. Not at all. Fictionalized history is definitely his prerogative as a novelist/fiction writer.

But it's not History and I don't think he ever intended it to be...


aPriL does feral sometimes Did some of you really expect something in the Great Books category! If you expect nothing except a quick easy read entertainment, you got what you paid for (or checked out). If you were expecting Ulysses, then it was a crushing disappointment. I'm not shocked it was a top ten bestseller, that's pretty much what it is, a top ten bestseller genre fiction. Did I just invent a new genre? :) I would be shocked to find it on "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" lists. I enjoyed it and gave it many stars because it was fun, fast and interesting. If you read it too slow, all of the 'wha?' parts might pile up. Langdon had a few more worts showing, which may have disappointed people who saw him more as a comic book perfect persona, I think.) It wasn't the best one in the series, either. Similar to some of the previous responses, it seemed slower to me too.


message 61: by Ana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana Luković I was disappointed with Dan. I stopped reading the book numerous times, because it was so boring. Maybe I just had high expectations. After all, The Da Vinci code is one of my favourite books. It was like this book wasn`t written by the same author. The style was different, to say the least. It was as though the source of his imagination suddenly disappeared.


Claude Nougat I sometimes think a writer only has one, perhaps two or three really good books in him. Certainly not a dozen, much less 50!

Once the books multiply, they inevitably repeat each other and you as a reader begin to see a pattern - almost a recipe!

Perhaps that is why the Da Vinci Code looked so good and the Lost Symbol so disappointing...


Melissa I totally agree with Ana and Claude!


Claude Nougat Melissa wrote: "I totally agree with Ana and Claude!"

Glad to see you agree!


Joseph Badal First, Dan Brown should be lauded for creating a new thriller sub-genre. His plots are complex and interesting. The problem with his plot development in the DaVinci Code through The Lost Symbol is that when he needs to solve a mystery he just has Robert Langdon experience a "Eureka" moment. Another problem I have with Langdon is that he winds up doing things that are akin to "leaping tall buildings in a single bound." Whether in my "reads" or in my own novels, I like my heroes to be "Everyday Heroes," regular men and women who rise to the occasion, but within the constraints of human mental and physical capabilities.


Claude Nougat I agree with you Joseph, a story based on normal men and women who have to rise above themselves to overcome challenges are always more satisfying tales...no doubt because most of us as readers are well aware that we are "normal" and not above average! And therefore we find it easier to "move into" the characters and share their sufferings and tribulations!


Joseph Badal You're right on. Another problem with superheroes is that it's no big deal when they do something heroic. It's expected of them. But when an Everyday Hero performs bravely, then that's something beautiful and admirable. You might enjoy my blog, Everyday Heroes, at http://www.josephbadal.wordpress.com.


Claude Nougat Joseph wrote: "You're right on. Another problem with superheroes is that it's no big deal when they do something heroic. It's expected of them. But when an Everyday Hero performs bravely, then that's something be..."

Have just visited your blog - love it! Very moving!


message 69: by Roy (new) - rated it 1 star

Roy Burstiner It was very disappointing. Two thirds of the way through, it could have been a great book when you think that Langdon dies. At that point I thought, "What an incredibly gutsy move by Brown". By he wimped out. All in all I think he was trying to recreate another Davinci Code.


Claude Nougat Roy wrote: "It was very disappointing. Two thirds of the way through, it could have been a great book when you think that Langdon dies. At that point I thought, "What an incredibly gutsy move by Brown". By he ..."
As you say, there's no doubt he was trying to recreate another Da Vinci Code. This is the trouble with this kind of literature: it's based on recipes!


Joseph Badal I love Roy's comment about Langdon dying 2/3s of the way through the book. Now that would have opened up all kinds of possibilities.


Tariqul Ponir Yes. Me too. disappointed


Madelene i think the lost symbol wasn't exactly that bad but it was really a disappointment because of the brilliance of angels and demons and the da vinci code so a lot of people are really disappointment because the lost symbol is a bit dull and the ending is a bit over the top like dan brown was redeeming himself with the vatican for the issue in the da vinci code


message 74: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I actually enjoyed The Lost Symbol as much as The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. Brown has a formula and you either like it or not. All three books are very similar and probably his next one will be the same.


Joseph Badal As I have stated before, Dan Brown created a new sub-genre -- Secret History -- that revolutionized the suspense genre. He deserves accolades for this accomplishment. The problem I have with all three of the Robert Langdon books is that when Brown needs to solve a problem, Langdon experiences a "eureka" moment.


Maureen I LOVED IT.


Harsh Rakesh It was not Langdon's fault, I think Dan missed a charm in this book but to be honest I am still looking forward to his next book if it has Langdon in it. I agree that this book was less interesting as compared to other two in Langdon series.


Angie I agree...disappointed with Langdon and Dan Brown. I had the hardest time finishing this book. I am intrigued with the Masons, as my great grandfather and grandfather were Masons. I was hoping for that same amazing book as Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code and it fell short.


Joseph Badal Dan Brown inspired me to write The Nostradamus Secret, a secret history that is the third in my Bob Danforth series, (Evil Deeds, Terror Cell), and which has been a top seller in the Spy Stories & Tales of Intrigue sub-genre. I will forever be grateful to Dan for his example.


Rajesh I felt that the ending was pretty dull. It didn't match the expectations i had when i started reading the book.


Aicha yes ...disappointed ..although the enigma was amazing , extremely well done and frightening ...but the last chapter was long and useless . and he followed the same way in writing in davinci code :The rapidity of events ( all happening in one night) , the suspicion towards police ect are all factors present in both books .


Joseph Badal Try The Nostradamus Secret if you like to read secret histories.


Aicha Is it for joseph badal?


Lisa *cantseemtoreadenough* R nope nope nope. this was my fave of the langdon books...well actually angels and demons but this is a really close second :)


Amanda I was quite disappointed with this book. While I still enjoyed it, I found I wasn't desperately turning the pages as fast as I could read like his other books. It took me longer to read then the others as well because I wasn't dying to know what happen next.


http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...


message 86: by Dick (last edited Jan 31, 2012 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dick Peterson Sherry wrote: "I wouldn't say I was disappointed with Langdon, I was disappointed with Dan Brown. He kept us all waiting for so long I expected something much more from this book and had hoped it had been researc..."

You nailed it, Sherry. The two books prior to Demons and Da Vinci were in my opinion lesser works. Demons was perfection. Da Vinci was very good and was the one that got me into Dan Brown. Symbol was better that the first two but disappointing after Demons and Da Vinci. What's up his sleeve next? I hope he gets back to Demonic quality. All that said, you still have to respect Brown's research and scope. Masonic stuff is always fascinating.


Muriel I have to say one of the most boring books I have read, I had to force myself to finish it hoping it would get better.Glad it was only a borrowed book and I had not wasted any money on it


Joseph Badal Yes, it is the 3rd in the Bob Danforth series, which includes Evil Deeds and Terror Cell. The Nostradamus Secret (Bob Danforth, #3) by Joseph Badal


Connie Downing I agree Angels and Demons has been the best Dan Brown I have read so far. I also found the Lost Symbol disappointing and an effort to get through :(


message 90: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul Vincent The Lost Symbol definitely wasn't as good as most of his previous books, but it was still better than Digital Fortress.


message 91: by Marshmellow (last edited Feb 16, 2012 02:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marshmellow God Angels and demons and Davinci Code was seriously much, much better. I don't know what happened with The Lost Symbol, but it was really disappointing.And Langdon wasn't as exciting as he used to be in the first two books.. But the ideas were still good as always.


Losen I was a bit disappointed with the pace of the story, it was slower than the other books, but I still found it very enjoyable.


message 93: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul Vincent You're right, Teckha, the pace was off in the Lost Symbol. In Dan Brown's defence, I do find that to be a tricky part to get right in any novel. Sometimes the balance sorts itself out, other times it takes a lot of work.


message 94: by Tony (last edited Mar 23, 2012 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tony Mac Impossible to be disappointed with Dan Brown as he's so bad. I know he's popular but that's no guarantee of quality. I'm not a book snob and I'll happily read just about anything - but this guy just can't write! As for the Lost Symbol, is there actually any point to it at the end of the day? When you get past the smoke and mirrors all it appears to amount to is that somebody may have chucked an old bible in with the foundation stone of the Washington Monument.


Scott Clements Jeanpaul wrote: "I was disappointed with the ending to the Lost Symbol. Dan Brown's books are always a stretch which makes them fun to read but the ending to his latest was a bit too out there. I'm sure I will re..."

It's been a while since I read it, but I too was disappointed with the ending. I enjoyed the hunt, the exploration, and the build up... but then at the end I was like, "that's it? That's what I've been waiting for?".


Linda I thought this was his best book. I thoroughly enjoyed it


message 97: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim This here book was the same as the others: Short, clipped chapters, easy to figure out the "secret," which was a HUGE disappointment. However, the Masonic symbology and the coded pyramid were fun; I also thought the FBI (?) head, the woman, reminded me of the part played by Linda Hunt on "NCIS:LA", so all in all sort of a C. As for Langdon, you'd think he'd have the good sense to get out of this silly game by now. Haven't seen "Angels and Demons" yet, but will, just for the H*** of it and for the memory of the Lost Opie.


message 98: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Glover I am a big Brown fan, on that note, I, like other people, started with the Da Vinci Code and fell in love with his books. Actually read them backwards and loved all of them. I did like the story. Thought it was very well written, but he did dumb down Langdon quite a lot. I mean if you really think about it, what exactly did he do past the capital scene in the book. I'm not saying that I didn't like the book, just that his role wasn't all that big in this book. I still thing Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code are still his best works. Lets hope the next Langdon novel has him do a little more.


message 99: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope loved the book hated the way it ended it was so lame after all this action in the book


message 100: by Aliyah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aliyah Although American history is fascinating, I think there is something about Europe and it's diversity and history that intrigues Dan Brown fans.

Maybe Langdon wasn't so sharp this time because he's getting older.


back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

The Lost Symbol (other topics)
The Nostradamus Secret (other topics)