Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Welcome! > Introduce Yourself!

Comments (showing 301-350 of 9,937) (9937 new)    post a comment »

message 301: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 409 comments Hey ya know I read this awesome idea in a Cemetery Dance mag. It was in an interview with Neil Gaiman they did and he talked about Stephen King and Lemony Snicket doing this thing where they had people placing bids for spots in their books. Like you bid and could pay to have your name and a character based on you put into one of their stories somewhere. The money from the bids went to some book or reading thing for schools. I thought this would be a great idea to share with all the authors on Goodreads and I hope someone starts one of these again.

message 302: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, Steven, that is really interesting. Of course, you have to a name to pull it off, but interesting. :)

message 303: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 409 comments I don't know I have read some of the stuff from some of the "not so big named" authors on here and I would definitely bid at least 20 bucks to be put into one of their stories...that would be an awesome experience...and heck it would be an "Unfortunate Event" for my character if I were stuck in Derry Maine with the It clown or burying my wife in the Pet Semetery, as it is in real life I work in a supermarket so my most exciting thing that could happen to me would be for a strange fog to roll in off the Columbian with a nasty government created surprise :o)

message 304: by [deleted user] (new)

lol. I could see where that would be "extraordinary". It's something to keep in mind for the future since it is a very interesting concept.

message 305: by Denise (new)

Denise Roper | 2 comments My name is Denise Roper, and I am the author of The Lord of the Hallows: Christian Symbolism and Themes in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter, which is available at www.outskirtspress.com/thelordoftheha....

I have given several lecture presentations at science fiction and fantasy conventions on the "deeper meaning" of the Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia series. The Lord of the Hallows is the result of all of the research that I've done for these presentations, and so far it has been very well-received by the fandom.

You can read more about it at http://phoenixweasley.wordpress.com.

message 306: by KChristine (last edited Apr 18, 2010 06:06AM) (new)

KChristine Martin | 4 comments Hi, thanks for the invite. Pain au Chocolat is a romance between two women from different cultures (French and Filipino).

Pain au Chocolat

http://www.wix.com/kchristine/kchrist...

KChristine Martin Pain au Chocolat by KChristine Martin

message 307: by Liyana (new)

Liyana (liyanaib) | 1 comments hello,
i'm new here and my name is liyana.
i'm just a reader.
i've been reading romance novel since forever.
but currently, i'm moving to mystery - thriller story.

message 308: by Diane (new)

Diane Labrosse (Dzeeann) Hello everyone. I am new here and I feel inadequate right now when I read all your success stories about your published work. I love to write and I will be published one day. Unfortunately, I am ill and cannot write for long periods at a time. I am very glad I found this site because now I have many experts to answer my questions when they come up. I have so many good ideas swimming around in my head but I just don't know how to start. Can you guide me and tell me how you decide what your story will be about? Do you have your whole story planned out before you start writing or does your story develop as you are writing?

message 309: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (JeffreyRCrimmelcom) | 144 comments Jeff Crimmel Living Beneath the Radar: A Nine Year Journey Around the World www.JeffreyRCrimmel.com

message 310: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Diane. No need to feel 'inadequate' - we all had to start someplace, and actually, I just had my premier novel published in January. My starting place was in writing for children's t.v. But there was a long time between scriptwriting and being published. Not to mention marriage and a kid, honing my skill through classes, trial and error.

http://allonbooks-thekingdomofallon.b...

On my blog under February you'll find a post titled "The Frustration of an Innate Storyteller". I speak to some of those questions you asked about writing.

message 311: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (JeffreyRCrimmelcom) | 144 comments As I read the posts I realize that I did not introduce myself. I only put my book in. My name is Jeff Crimmel and I retired from teaching in 2008 and wrote Living Beneath the Radar in 2009. If there is other ways to get one's book out to the public besides signings, I would love to hear them. The internet seems like a very good avenue but I guess I need more direction.

Thanks
Jeff

message 312: by [deleted user] (new)

Jeffery, try to go where your audience is. Goodreads and such sites do give authors access to readers and the reverse, but seeking out those who are like-minded is perhaps one of the best places to start.

For example, I write YA fantasy, so I'm visiting schools, libraries and youth groups. Yours is a true-life adventure, try adventure clubs, wilderness groups, etc.

Hope that helps. :)

message 313: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (JeffreyRCrimmelcom) | 144 comments Thanks for the imput. I shall

message 314: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (JoshuaCaleb) | 62 comments Diane wrote: "Hello everyone. I am new here and I feel inadequate right now when I read all your success stories about your published work. I love to write and I will be published one day. Unfortunately, I am il..."

I get my ideas from just about everything: video games, movies, books, science, the news, etc. I usually plan a bit before writing(beginning, middle, end) and then let the characters take me where they will, within reason:) I've just published my first book: Warped & Wired
Warped & Wired by Joshua Caleb
and plan on writing many more.
Anyway, welcome and good luck.

message 315: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) | 33 comments Hello all!

My name is Jennifer Allis Provost, and I'm working on marketing my first book, Rise of the Deva'shi. It's self published and I'm new to the game, so I would appreciate any and all feedback. Here's a link to my site so you can check out the book:

http://jenniferallisprovost.com/

I'm currently working on a sequel, and my first booksigning is scheduled for May 29.

Thanks!

Jenn

message 316: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Hi, I'm Sarah Renee, and I'm 13 years old. I'm a writer and I have recently published the first two novels in a series I have started. The novels are called The Tiger Princess and Dash and they're great for children. I love writing and I am currently writing the next books in the series and illustrating the cover art as well. I love to draw, play the violin and read when I'm not writing.

message 317: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 923 comments Mod
Welcome to the group!

Wow, Sarah! 13 and writing books! Keep it up--persistence means everything in writing!

message 318: by Arch (last edited Apr 20, 2010 03:23PM) (new)

Arch  | 15 comments I'm Arch. I'm a writer. Not an author. This year will be 23 years that I have been writing for fun.

I'm a reader. I love to read a good catcher.

I am huge fan of interracial romance. Black woman/white man. I'll read other interracial hero/heroine pairing, but black woman/white man is my top interracial read.

I don't read erotic stories and same sex stories. Amongst other themes. I don't even care for detailed sex in non-erotic books.

I like contemporary books. I'll read historical books, but I'm a bigger fan of contemporary books.

I read non-interracial books as well.

message 319: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (JeffreyRCrimmelcom) | 144 comments Wow Sarah. Your 13 and I am 65 and we both wrote our first books. You may get a few more under your belt than me but it did take 9 years for me to gather the information and 30 years to find the time to write it down. Any way I am glad for your start.

message 320: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Thanks Vincent and Jeffrey!

message 321: by Pete (new)

Pete Kelly (shadow2683) | 29 comments Hello and hows everyone doing today.

My name is Pete Kelly. I am young author here on goodreads with my work Dawn of the shadow was released last february for the kindle readers and ebook. I anticiapate a print release very soon. I have hopes to become a fulltime writer but till that I work at a movie theater as a manager. If you would like to know more about my work check out Dawn of the shadow
talk soon later

http://dawnoftheshadow.webs.com/
http://twitter.com/Shadow2683

message 322: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome Pete.

message 323: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, Pete. Checked out your book. A new superhero soon to emerge? :) I'm married to a former animation employee, comic and movie trivia buff.

message 324: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Webb (WendyWebb) | 10 comments Hi everyone, I'm Wendy Webb, author of The Tale of Halcyon Crane, released this month. It's an eerie, gothic story of a woman who goes searching for the truth about her family's past, and finds secrets, betrayal, murder and a few otherworldly surprises growing on her family tree.

message 325: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome Wendy.

message 326: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Webb (WendyWebb) | 10 comments Sorry for the repeat post, but I just figured out how to add a link to my book! The Tale of Halcyon Crane: A Novel. Check it out and let me know what you think!

message 327: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Dean (TimothyJamesDean) | 32 comments Hi all - I've been writing most of my life, and have been a professional writer for about 30 years. My first career was as a writer/producer/director/editor of television programs.

A few years ago now, I returned to my first love, fiction. I studied literature and creative writing at the graduate level. I've also been a world traveler all my life. So I combined it all -- and began to write in earnest. Here's my You Tube description: (I'd love it if you'd subscribe to my channel -- there will be many clips from the remote and exotic parts of our planet!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BryHpi...

The result was a massive story that sought no less than to define the zeitgeist of the mid-20th Century.

Now the first book of the South Pacific Trilogy is out and ready for you, printed by Readr Books of Las Vegas.

It's available on amazon as a 1st Edition print book, signed by the author (ahem!), and on Kindle. In addition, it's now listed with Google Books - and we'll we'll soon add more links for iPad, Nook, Sony Reader, and more.

I'm happy to be here with you - I'm never more comfortable than I am with fellow readers and writers!

Check it out! And be invited to friend me.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/33...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72...

message 328: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome Timothy.

message 329: by Pete (new)

Pete Kelly (shadow2683) | 29 comments Shawn wrote: "Hello, Pete. Checked out your book. A new superhero soon to emerge? :) I'm married to a former animation employee, comic and movie trivia buff."

Thanks shawn, hopefully yeah i mean admittedly creating a hero takes time but ive always beena big superhero fan so to be able to say Ive published my own story of a hero is awesome. As you saw Dawn of the shadow is on kindle but i expect a print release soon. arch thanks for the welcome as well goodreads is turning out to be a cool site.

http://dawnoftheshadow.webs.com/index...

message 330: by L.J. (new)

L.J. (ljsellers) | 8 comments I'm the author of the Detective Jackson mystery/suspense series. The first two books, THE SEX CLUB and SECRETS TO DIE FOR, are available now, and the third book, THRILLED TO DEATH, will be out in August. Reader response has been terrific, and I have two more books under contract to come out next year. I'm having a blast writing this series, speaking with book clubs, and meeting mystery lovers at conventions.

I also edit fiction and read plenty of it, so novels consume most of waking hours. Life is good.

message 331: by Inda (new)

Inda My name is Inda Lauryn. I am the author of two books: IN TIME and THE PEOPLE IN MY HEAD. My new suspense novel ONE LAST DANCE, LITTLE SISTER? will be available this summer. Feel free to contact me with questions.

message 332: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome L.J. and Conceding.

message 333: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 923 comments Mod
Welcome to the group!

Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) (GCRDee) | 4 comments Hello everyone,

NEW here! My name is Damaris and I am just getting the hang of goodreads. How is everyone doing?

message 335: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome Damaris. I'm fine.

message 336: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (JeffreyRCrimmelcom) | 144 comments Me too. Just making all my relatives get a copy of my book and hope the word spreads from other sources.

message 337: by Susan (new)

Susan Gottfried (WestofMars) | 68 comments LJ! Good to see you here! I've read The Sex Club folks, and can vouch for how good this series is.

message 338: by Megan (new)

Megan | 2 comments Hello Everyone,

My name is Megan, I am both a reader and a writer. I have only gotten one poem published, but I am still proud of it. I am working on a short story now that I also hope to publish...maybe I can make it a habit : D

I am very excited to have found this site and look forward to discussing literature, writing, and anything else with you!

message 339: by Alan (new)

Alan (CoachMT) | 46 comments Welcome Megan! Congrats on the poem and look forward to seeing the short story.

message 340: by Megan (new)

Megan | 2 comments Alan wrote: "Welcome Megan! Congrats on the poem and look forward to seeing the short story."

Well thank you : ) I suspose now that you mention it, I should have posted my poem. It was published in an online literary magazine here:
Paradigm

message 341: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome Megan.

message 342: by Philip (new)

Philip Elsner (httpwwwgoodreadscomHarrowedWrath) | 2 comments Philip James Elsner

Hi, I am new to good reads. Just thought I would say hello. I have just recently finished my first zombie novel. The Omega Effect: A Zombie novel www.harrowedpress.com

I enjoy reading mostly science fiction and horror novels and tend to finish a book about every week or so.

Thankyou

P.J. Elsner

message 343: by Pete (last edited Apr 24, 2010 01:40AM) (new)

Pete Kelly (shadow2683) | 29 comments Hey Philp welcome to the site Im Pete my workDawn of the shadow is my first as well. Good luck, im a growing fan of zombie books so ill definitely check out yours.

http://dawnoftheshadow.webs.com/
this is my sight if you want to know more about my book

message 344: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcoem P.J.

message 345: by Reza (new)

Reza Kahlili (RezaKahlili) | 5 comments Hi,

I am Reza Kahlili and my first book 'A Time to Betray'The Astonishing Double Life of a CIA Agent Inside the Revolutionary Guards of Iran, was published on April 06th. This is the true story of my life of how I betrayed my country in order to save it.

Here is my website for more info:

http://atimetobetray.com/

message 346: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome Reza.

message 347: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Cain (KimberlyCain) | 9 comments Thanks for creating this group!

Hello All,

I'm Kimberly Cain, author of Heaven, a novel. It's a story about the nature of God as seen through the eyes of an exotic dancer.
See more on my GoodReads author page or http://www.HeavenTheNovel.com.

I love to write & read, though I don't have nearly as much time for the latter as I would like. I love to devour a good book, like eating a sumptuous food. It's life energy!

I'm also an intuitive guide & performer. I enjoy combining all of these. Heaven, the novel comes with a music CD.

Best to all in your writing endeavors & delicious fun to the readers as well!

Kimberly
www.KimberlyCain.com
Naked Prayers Blog - www.KimberlyCainBlog.com

message 348: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome Kimberly.

message 349: by Laura J. W. (last edited Apr 24, 2010 04:44PM) (new)

Laura J. W. (Laurajwryan) | 6 comments Hi, I'm Laura ( Laura J. W. Ryan), an indie author with my own little indie company Field Stone Press. I am the author of Dusty Waters: A Ghost Story, which is a literary fiction novel that has more to it than "BOO!" It is a family saga, the history of a haunted house, and a biography of a folksinger. I'm going to be publishing my next novel, The Fractured Hues of White Light (which is not a ghost story) in May, I'll be doing a giveaway here at Goodreads as soon as it's available! I think my little experiment in self-publishing has been a modest success, and I feel very fortunate to have this website to find great books to read, meet readers, and other authors!
Thanks!

Laura
http://upstategirl-laurajwryan.blogsp...
Dusty Waters  A Ghost Story by Laura J. W. Ryan

message 350: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 15 comments Welcome Laura.