Stephen King Fans discussion

The King Himself > Book Reviews by King

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments This is from the NYT Book Review Nov 22. 2009
on Raymond Carver's work and life.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/boo...

message 2: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2183 comments Thanks!

message 3: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Hi everyone:

I've started a group for folks who want to read and discuss books that Stephen King has read and recommended. I would love to get more members for the group so we can get started.
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...

We will be pulling books to read from my personal bookshelf called "sai-king-recommends" which you can view at http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/.... If the book has been reviewed by Stephen King, I've added his comments to my review of each book, although I've certainly not read all of them yet!

Feel free to add me as a friend.

Debra

message 5: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Debra!

I think this is a great idea.:)

message 6: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Angie- thank you very much for the EW review!

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Dustin wrote: "Hi, Debra!

I think this is a great idea.:)"

Thanks, Justin!

message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Todd started a thread in the "Horror Aficionados" about the Dell Abyss Line of books. I posted this in my "Books Stephen King Recommends" group and thought ya'll might also be interested in reading it:

Did you know King once endorsed a whole LINE of horror books?

20 years ago, Dell began the publishing of a line of 41 books called Abyss Horror. The following information about Abyss is available at this website which was published 2/25/11, the 20 year anniversary of Abyss Horror line's launch:

http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot.com...

Here's some of the highlights from that website:

"It was 20 years ago this month that the Dell/Abyss line of contemporary horror fiction began publication. Yes, 20 years! Ah, I remember it well. This imprint from Dell Publishing was spearheaded by Bantam Doubleday editor Jeanne Cavelos in an attempt to give the paperback horror genre a boost of originality and conviction - and, of course, a boost in sales - as it had long been plagued by tired cliches and half-hearted imitations of better books and writers. The appropriately-named Abyss was intent on publishing works that plumbed dark depths of psychology and the supernatural not for cheap, exploitative, escapists thrills but for more disturbing and revelatory chills. This kind of horror was interiorized, found not in a Gothic mansion or small town overrun by vampires but in the blasted landscape of the human mind."

"The Abyss paperback originals used striking cover design - haunting, creepy, anguished faces and tormented bodies, albeit perhaps sometimes a tad clumsy - to separate themselves from the anonymous bloody skulls, graveyards, and evil babies then on horror covers. The icon on the spine of its books was a mark of distinction; indeed, Abyss even had a mission statement."

-------
**Note: At this point in the narrative, the guy who published this information inserted a picture of the Abyss Horror mission statement. I typed it out here:

"The Abyss line of cutting-edge psychological horror is committed to publishing the best, most innovative works of dark fiction available. ABYSS is horror unlike anything you've ever read before. It's not about haunted houses or evil children or ancient Indian burial grounds. We've all read those books, and we all know their plots by heart."

"ABYSS is for the seeker of truth, no matter how disturbing or twisted it may be. It's about people, and the darkness we all carry within us. ABYSS is the new horror from the dark frontier. And in that place, where we come face-to-face with terror, what we find is ourselves."

The mission statement includes this endorsement from Stephen King:

"Thank you for introducing me to the remarkable line of novels currently being issued under Dell's Abyss imprint. I have given a great many blurbs over the last twelve years or so, but this one marks two firsts: first unsolicited blurb (I called you) and the first time I have blurbed a whole line of books. In terms of quality, production, and plain old story-telling reliability (that's the bottom line, isn't it), Dell's new line is amazingly satisfying...a rare and wonderful bargain for readers. I hope to be looking into the Abyss for a long time to come."

-----------
I created a new personal bookshelf for those 41 books called "dell-abyss-horror", and have also included them in my "sai-king-recommends" bookshelf! I know, I'm CRAZY! I don't know if King read all of them, or if he'd even recommend them, but since he endorsed the whole line, I decided to add them to the books he recommends.

When adding the books, I made sure I selected the correct edition with the correct cover photo, even going as far as searching the internet for missing cover photos.

Most of the books are out-of-print, but available used from Amazon and other online bookstores, and many didn't get the best reviews, but I think I'm going to try to read them someday. (To be fair, there are very few reviews for most of the books here and on Amazon, so it's really hard to judge how well-received they really were when they were first printed.)

Anyway, you can check out my list here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/481...

Thanks for listening!
Debra

message 9: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 867 comments Debra --

I was lucky enough to pick up one of the very first of the Abyss line, and after reading King's praise, made it a mission to find them... very disappointed when the line stopped, although I have to say, although the intent was good, not all of the books were!

message 10: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Bondama wrote: "Debra --

I was lucky enough to pick up one of the very first of the Abyss line, and after reading King's praise, made it a mission to find them... very disappointed when the line stopped, although..."

Yeah, I figured that some of the books weren't very good, but boy are the covers great! lol

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) Ugh found an annoying comment and replied to it ---

Anonymous Wed 9/10/08 07:05 AM

Mr. King has written quite a few YA novels and stories in his career: Carrie, Christine, It, The Body, etc.

Read replies (1) Add reply

Erin Thu 12/29/11 03:28 PM

These aren't young adult novels, but adult novels that have young adults in them. There's a difference.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) It may sound snarky but I just couldn't leave it untouched!

message 13: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 867 comments Thank you, Erin, the only "YA" book King can said to have written is "The Eyes of the Dragon" -- and that has so many overtones from other of his writings, it hardly counts. I do so much appreciate when someone fights back when another is trying to "shelve" Stephen King as they would any other author!

message 14: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments Erin wrote: "Ugh found an annoying comment and replied to it ---

Mr. King has written quite a few YA novels and stories in his career: Carrie, Christine, It, The Body, etc...."

Those are clearly not YA books.

message 15: by Charlene (new)

Charlene I'm laughing because I have NEVER thought of King as a YA writer, ever!
Even though I read most of those older stories as a teen, even then I recognized that these books were written for a mature audience.
You're right, Erin. Your response wasn't snarky just true. : )

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Someone wrote: "Mr. King has written quite a few YA novels and stories in his career: Carrie, Christine, It, The Body, etc."

The only one Uncle Stevie wrote for a YA audience that I'm aware of [not counting some Graphic Novels] is The Eyes of the Dragon, which he wrote for his daughter.

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Debra wrote: "Todd started a thread in the "Horror Aficionados" about the Dell Abyss Line of books. I posted this in my "Books Stephen King Recommends" group and thought ya'll might also be interested in readin..."

Debra, you most certainly piqued my interest. I'm a Librarian, and I don't recall reading about these. I will definitely seek them out.
Thanks!

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Tom wrote: "Debra wrote: "Todd started a thread in the "Horror Aficionados" about the Dell Abyss Line of books. I posted this in my "Books Stephen King Recommends" group and thought ya'll might also be intere..."

I'm toying with the idea of attempting to collect the whole set! Even though many of them aren't excellent reads, I'm still curious about them. Let me know what you think of them, as you find them and read them.

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments I love Bibliophiles!
BibFreaks or BibManiacs in my case.
I will post comments as I find % read at least some of them.

message 20: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Tom wrote: "I love Bibliophiles!
BibFreaks or BibManiacs in my case.
I will post comments as I find % read at least some of them."

I'm a BibManiac, especially when it comes to Stephen King. I've got all his works, either first editions or limited edition (and both); a few signed. I'm proud of my collection and dread the day when King passes on. I've many other authors, too, most in the horror, thriller, fantasy genres and a few that defy classification.

message 21: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Debra, DITTO! to all of what you write.
My daughter and I attended Sai King's talk in Sarasota last year, promoting Under the Dome and was lucky enough to get TWO signed copies. I have a lot of 1st/1st still sealed, including Grant's 'Artist Editions' (signed by the artist, not King), sealed collector's ed of The Talisman And Black House. Some hard to find short story collections, an early copy of _Thinner_ before The True Author became known (I guessed it was truly King's work before it was announced) . . .
okay, I'll step down from the 'brag wagon' for now :)
Do you know how I can post photos here?

message 22: by Debra (last edited Dec 31, 2011 09:36AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments I won the chance to purchase a signed copy of 11/22/63 from Simon and Schuster. I LOVE IT! I was so surprised, 'cause I never win anything. It was $150 and totally worth it! I could brag on my collection just like you... lol

As far, as posting a photo, you will have to save your photo on the internet somewhere, like Photobucket. Then you can use the html that is shown under the "(some html is ok" link. Follow the directions for adding an image and voila! I've never had to bother with the width when I've added an image, so you might get away with ignoring that part of the instructions.

If you go to my group, "Books Stephen King Recommends," and go to the thread called "How Do I Do That," I've posted a cool SK image I found on the internet and explained how I posted that. Would love you to join my group, too!

Hope that helps!
Debra

message 23: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2183 comments Erin wrote: "Ugh found an annoying comment and replied to it ---

Mr. King has written quite a few YA novels and stories in his career: Carrie, Christine, It, The Body, etc...."

Where is this comment originally?

message 24: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2183 comments Tom wrote: "Debra, DITTO! to all of what you write.
My daughter and I attended Sai King's talk in Sarasota last year, promoting Under the Dome and was lucky enough to get TWO signed copies. I ha..."

Or you can just add your photo to the group! That would be great. Go to the right side of the homepage and you can see a place to post photos there. We also have a great thread where you can post pics of ALL you King books!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Eyes of the Dragon (other topics)
The Talisman And Black House (other topics)
Under the Dome (other topics)