The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

READING WITH STYLE > Winter 2009 - Tasks, Questions, Scores, etc.

Comments (showing 201-250 of 388) (388 new)    post a comment »

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments the points were right. I wasn't disputing the points. On the spreadsheet you didn't have the 10.4 Popularity Contest box filled in. I just wanted it to count. :)

message 202: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jenilyn wrote: "I misunderstood the YA part of this challenge and tried to claim style points for eclipse, but I get it now. At first I thought that the level of difficulty part of the challenge was optional as i..."

You know, that's a really interesting way to think about how the "level of difficulty" factor fits in. That will require some more thought.

As far as the "Combo Finish" points go, it doesn't matter if the book you read could fit for one other task of eight other tasks, you can only get 5 points. That could be re-evaluated for next time as well.

message 203: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jayme wrote: "the points were right. I wasn't disputing the points. On the spreadsheet you didn't have the 10.4 Popularity Contest box filled in. I just wanted it to count. :)"

That would be because I put them in 10.1 instead...oops. Thanks for letting me know.

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Thanks Sam for clearing that up for me. I sent you a message on my thoughts for reading with style. I personally am having a blast with it and I hope you continue with it!
As far as being able to get more than five for combo, I think it would be cool in a way, because it would be really fun to try and see how many points you could rack up for one book, on the other hand, I probably would spend way too much time planning and not enough time reading, LOL.

message 205: by Krista (last edited Jan 01, 2010 06:50PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Jayme wrote: "Eclipse is an YA book but I read it first for my first Popularity contest and I wasn't claiming any special points. Also I also read A Touch of Dead which was also on the list but as far as I know,..."

When I read your post in message 188 which says: "Okay i am claiming task 10.4 Popularity with the book "Eclipse" by Stephanie Meyers. I am also claiming a jumbo finish of +5 points because the book was 628pp."

I thought that you were claiming style points forEclipse. Auditing mode off for me now. :-) Sorry if I sound like a big rules supervisor! I'm still trying to get some of these things straight in my mind.

Great challenge though Sam, this one has me more fully engaged than the Winter Challenge now. The Winter Challenge is just so huge. There's no way I'd ever finish it. I'm shooting for completing each task for the Reading w/Style challenge this quarter. That way I'm getting a wide taste of lots of different books.

message 206: by Jenny (last edited Jan 01, 2010 07:12PM) (new)

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments I'm back for an update. I finished Plum Island for 20.6. Please add +5 jumbo points and it was 500+ pages as well as +5 combo points (10.1) as Nelson Demille is a new author for me. Thank you!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments Krista i was but Eclipse is a YA book so I retracted the style points.

Krista (kacey14) Jayme wrote: "Krista i was but Eclipse is a YA book so I retracted the style points. "

Cool. I didn't see the retraction earlier. I really must get better at just minding my own business.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments nah it's okay. I read what interests me and I tend to not pay attention to the genres.

Liz M Krista wrote: "Cool. I didn't see the retraction earlier. I really must get better at just minding my own business."

Don't do that! I think it's helpful to have more people looking at the posts & reminding us how the points add up, since we can't expect Sam to be here every hour to offer corrections/explanations.

Liz M 20.7b - Civil Rights: The Help + 5 combo points (new author, popularity contest).

Krista (kacey14) Liz wrote: "Krista wrote: "Cool. I didn't see the retraction earlier. I really must get better at just minding my own business."

Don't do that! I think it's helpful to have more people looking at the post..."

Okay, thanks for the feedback. That's helpful to know. I just didn't want to come across sounding really legalistic. :-)

Deedee | 1161 comments Question on the Jumbo Finish: Different editions of books have different page counts. A book that I'm reading right now, The Year's Best Science Fiction 26th Annual Collection The Year's Best Science Fiction  26th Annual Collection by Gardner R. Dozois Paperback, 704 pages

The Year's Best Science Fiction  Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection by Gardner R. DozoisHardcover, 688 pages
The Year's Best Science Fiction Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection

And the rules say:

Jumbo Finish: Receive extra points for reading books according to the following scale:
-500 Pages: 5 Points
-700 Pages: 10 Points

So, would this book be 5 extra points? or 10? There are many, many books with differing page counts.

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Which edition did you read? The hardcover or paperback? I would count the +10 if you read the paperback because it's over 700 pages.

message 215: by Krista (last edited Jan 03, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) I think during some point in the discussion of book length (in the earlier thread about suggestions for the challenge) Sam may have said that he would take the average number of pages for all editions.

I think that to make it simpler, we should just go with edition with the highest page count. After all it really is kind of the luck of the draw which edition you end up with. (Especially if you rely on the library a lot.)

But Sam is the final arbiter of this (and all Reading with Style) question.

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments I agree, I don't think it's worth the hassle of even looking to see which edition had the most pages, just claim the bonus for the number of pages you actually read, but I agree Sam is the final say so.

message 217: by Krista (last edited Jan 03, 2010 01:48PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Task 20.4 - Oh Canada
Read: The Maltese Goddess an Archaeological Mystery by Canadian author Lyn Hamilton who sadly passed away on 9/10/09.

The book qualifies for Combo style points as it could also be used for tasks 10.9 (Cozy Mystery) and 15.8.a (Series written by a women which features a female lead character.)

Task Point Value = 20
Combo Style Point Bonus = 5
Total Points for book = 25
New Reading w/Style Point Total = 240

message 218: by Liz M (last edited Jan 03, 2010 01:53PM) (new)

Liz M Sam,

I claimed two books for task 20.6 in message 170, but I was only awarded points for one of them. Did you decide that the following one did not qualify?

"20.6: Deadline in Athens (20 task, 5 combo 10.1b - new author, 10 multiple). This book fits the dictionary definition of conspiracy with two or more people acting together to perform unlawful acts. 35 points."

If I can't use it for 20.6, I'll find another spot for it. Thanks!

message 219: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Liz wrote: "Sam,

I claimed two books for task 20.6 in message 170, but I was only awarded points for one of them. Did you decide that the following one did not qualify?

"20.6: Deadline in Athens (20 task, ..."

No, I just missed it...it's fixed.

message 220: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Deedee wrote: "Question on the Jumbo Finish: Different editions of books have different page counts. A book that I'm reading right now, The Year's Best Science Fiction 26th Annual Collection[boo..."

Cynthia's answer sounds good to me...whichever one you read. Of course, no one's going to come to your house and make you prove which one you read. And, for what it's worth, the version I have listed on GR isn't always the one I actually read.

Liz M Sam wrote: "Liz wrote: "Sam,

No, I just missed it...it's fixed.

Excellent, thanks!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments Okay here we go:
I finished "The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore.
My primary claim is 15.10 Group Read. This is the second time I did this task so I am claiming multiple task style points for +10. This book also fits in tasks 15.4 Make Me Laugh and 10.1B because this is a new author for me. I am claiming combo points for those tasks so do I get +5 per combo task? So that's 30 points (35 if you can claim combo style points twice).

New Total Points 235(240)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Finished
10.2 Time Magazine List At Swim-Two-Birds by Flan O'Brien. This is the second books I've read for this task.

20.10 A. East of Eden by John Steinbeck (602 pages)
20.10 B. The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Points for multiple finish and Complete finish.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments I'm sorry, Sam. I listed a repeat for
10.2 but I'd never given you the first one that I read for that task. It was from Oprah's list --The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCuller.

Krista (kacey14) Hey Sam -- would you classify Little Women as a YA book? I'm thinking of reading it for the 1001 books task, but would like to read something that is eligible for style points. (Not that I'm point hungry or anything...)

I've never read it, and I've seen it classified as a Classic, but don't know if it's YA.

How was your first day back as school? Not too brutal I hope.

Thanks,
-Krista

message 226: by Cindie (last edited Jan 04, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Cindie Harp | 890 comments I did task 15.9 -- read an author who died in 2009. I read The xibalba murders by Lyn Hamilton. I never read her before...

This book could count for 20.9 (Oh Canada) and 10.9 (cozy) as well as 15.8 (woman character in a series by a woman author)

Not sure where we are checking our style points now?

message 227: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 05, 2010 07:10AM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Finally finished another book -

The Gum Thief A Novel by Douglas Coupland

I think this one earned me 35 points - Task #20.4 Oh Canada since the author is Canadian and this would also be 10 points for a multiple finish. Also, 5 combo points for task 10.5 Eye of the Tiger since we are both the year of the ox, and task 10.1 since I've never read him before.

Total Points To Date = 145

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Cindie wrote: "Not sure where we are checking our style points now?
..."

If you go to message #3, the first line has Scores are here to click. Takes you to a spreadsheet.

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Jayme wrote: "Okay here we go:
I finished "The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore.
My primary claim is 15.10 Group Read. This is the second time I did this task so I am claiming multiple task style points for ..."

I asked the same question about combo points in Post #27 and Sam answered in Post #28 - you can only claim combo points once per book, regardless of how many other tasks it can fit.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments )kay I will stick with the 235 points for that book.

message 231: by Cindie (last edited Jan 05, 2010 04:15PM) (new)

Cindie Harp | 890 comments Jayme wrote: ")kay I will stick with the 235 points for that book."

Ok so I read "Santa and Pete" for task 20.2 by Christopher Moore (a new book for me)
I read 20.4 I read The Collected Stories of Sherwood Anderson

and I read ""The Xibalba Murders" by Lyn Hamilton (Canadian and deceased in 2009) for 20.10 "Oh Canada" Hamilton is also an author I have never read

message 232: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Krista wrote: "Hey Sam -- would you classify Little Women as a YA book? I'm thinking of reading it for the 1001 books task, but would like to read something that is eligible for style points. (Not t..."

I think it can be considered either way. We own a copy that is intended for Juvenile/YA readers as well as an Oxford Classic edition.

Speaking of young adults, the most oft-repeated comment of the day was "We missed you! We haven't seen you for almost three weeks!" And then, of course, they proceed to act like one of the great plagues--which is pretty much how they usually are.

message 233: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Cindie wrote: "Jayme wrote: ")kay I will stick with the 235 points for that book."

Ok so I read "Santa and Pete" for task 20.2 by Christopher Moore (a new book for me)
I read 20.4 I read The Collected Stories of..."

Which task did you read the Sherwood Anderson for again?

message 234: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments And because I'm apparently stealing ideas from Liz, I'm claiming this as well:

20.7b - Civil Rights: The Help + 5 combo points (new author, popularity contest).

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Sam,
I have just read Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson for another task in the Seasonal Reads. Do you think it is appropriate for Style's 20.8?
Franklin certainly devoted years to training and modeling himself into the kind of man he wanted to present to the world.

Liz M Sam wrote: "And because I'm apparently stealing ideas from Liz, I'm claiming this as well:

20.7b - Civil Rights: The Help + 5 combo points (new author, popularity contest)."

You can have the idea, but don't steal my points, too! (The spreadsheet does not reflect the 25 points I claimed for task 20.7 -- see message 211)

message 237: by Krista (last edited Jan 06, 2010 08:19AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) I just finished a second book for task 20.3 - Island Dreams. I read The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick who is a new author for me. The book is set in England (primarily London.)

Task Points = 20
Combo Style Points (Task 10.1) = 5
Multiple Finish Style Points = 10
Total Points for Book = 35
New Reading with Style Point Total = 275

Thanks for the info on Little Women Sam. My copy is in Oxford Classic Edition vein.

Glad to hear you had a normal first day back at school. :-)

Cindie Harp | 890 comments task 15.10 I read B The Stupidest Angel and commented on it. I really like Christopher Moore. i laughed out loud while reading this book and "Lamb"

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Hello Readers! I'm checking in with another update. I read Deception Point for Celebrating the King, Part I which is the second time I've completed this task. If my calculations are correct, this means I'm eligible for +15 style points as this is a multiple finish for me and the book was over 500 pages. Thanks!

message 240: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Read:

Blueberry Muffin Murder - Joanne Fluke

10.9 - Cozy Mystery
+5 Combo (15.8a)
+10 Multiple Finish

New Points = 25
TOTAL POINTS = 255

message 241: by Krista (last edited Jan 07, 2010 03:35PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Task 15.8.a -- What Women Want to Read:
A. Read A Novel Written By A Female Author From A Series That Has A Female Main Character

Read: Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris
9th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. This book also qualifies for combo style points because it would work for Reading w/Style "Small Screen" Task 15.5.

Task Points = 15
Combo Style Points = 5
Total Points for book = 20
New Reading w/Style Point Total = 295

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Finished:
15.7 ALLITERATION The Cadillac Cowboy by Michael Collins. No extra points

15.10 GROUP READS Princess Bride by William Goldman
AND Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (read ebook version with a ton of typos which should rate extra points!!!)
plus Multiple Finish, 10 pts.

Cindie Harp | 890 comments I finished task 15.1 -- read 1968 winner and honor book: From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler and Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and me, elizabeth, both by E.L. Konigsburg.

message 244: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 09, 2010 02:37PM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Finished another book.

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris for 30 points - 15 points for task #15.8 (a series with a female lead character, written by a woman), 10 multiple finish points, and 5 combo points since this also fits tasks #10.1 (I've never read her before), and #10.9 Cozy Mystery (On the list Cynthia provided, although I really wouldn't catagorize this as 'cozy'! lol)

TOTAL POINTS = 175

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments I didn't count it as a mystery either Jennifer.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments I have several to post:
10.1 A.Feels Like Family by Sherryl Woods
B. The Bolter: Edwardian Heartbreak and High Society Scandal in Kenya by Frances Osborne

10.7 Vanity Fair by William Thackery/ This is the World's Great Classics edition with 1098 pages, for 25 extra points. Plus it meets requirements for 15.6A, 15.3A and 20.3

15.7 I forgot to collect additional points for this one for The Cadillac Cowboy, as it fits 10.1 B for me.

20.2 Harlem Speaks: A Living History of the Harlem Renaissance by Cary D. Wintz. extra pts as it was 502 pp. (plus it had a cd of supplementary materials)

20.3 Muddling through in Madagascar by Dervla Murphy. Also pts for extra fit 10.1B

I think this gets me caught up.

message 247: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Read:

Generation A - Douglas Coupland

20.4 - Canada
+10 Multiple Finish

New Points = 30
TOTAL POINTS = 285

Cindie Harp | 890 comments For task 10.5, I read TMI by Sarah Quigly, who shares my zodiac sign of sheep!

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Hi everyone, just stopping by for another update. I finished In the Company of the Courtesan: A Novel (new author) and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (oldest book on TBR shelf) for task 10.1. I'd like to claim +15 style points for complete finish as I read both parts of the task and also I'd like to claim +5 combo points as The Curious Incident is one of the books on the 1001 list for task 15.6.
Thanks!

message 250: by Cindie (last edited Jan 09, 2010 05:44PM) (new)

Cindie Harp | 890 comments

Just finished Murder at the Vicarage for task 10.9, a cozy mystery. This had maps, so could have been used for that task, also took place in the UK, an island, so it could have been used for island dreams. It also could be used for the historical task, as it takes place just after WW II