The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

READING WITH STYLE > Winter 2009 - Tasks, Questions, Scores, etc.

Comments (showing 339-388)    post a comment »

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments I'm in the top ten *in a sing songy voice*

message 387: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Final Numbers for Winter Reading with Style...

Donna Jo - 1515
Rachel Lee - 940
Liz - 810
Jenilyn - 710
Krista - 705
Melissa - 610
Jayme - 485
Erin - 475
Cindie - 340
Jennifer L - 325
Teresa - 215
Sam - 180
DeeDee - 130
Shannon - 130
Jennifer D - 100
Bridgit - 70
Sera - 25

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments Okay I finally finished the book I wanted to include for 15.3B I read "Katherine" by Anya Seton. For 15.3A I read "Snowflower and the Secret Fan". I think I prefer the medieval time period despite their lack of knowledge and oppression of women. I like some knight to sweep me off my feet.
I am claiming the 15 points plus 15 bonus points for multiple finish for reading both parts. No bonus points book pages.

New total 485

I think this will be my last book for this challenge.

Krista (kacey14) Final points posted for this challenge:

Task 15.6: 1001 Books
Read: The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho
Book was #52 on the list. For the life of me I couldn't figure out any Style points for this book.

I'm one and a half books away from completing the Mega Finish, but that's just going to have to do it for me. I was so close!! Oh well, I was way too engrossed in the Olympics the last couple of weeks to spend much time reading. Now that I'm back to work, I'll have less time to read than I've had for the last few challenges. I'll have to make my book selections even more carefully for the this upcoming challenge!

Sam, thanks for starting (and continuing) this great new challenge. I'm just going to concentrate on this challenge for the next quarter, and not bother with posting points on the Spring Challenge side.

Points for this task = 15
Total Points for the FIRST Reading with Style Challenge = 705

Liz M 20.3 Island Dreams - Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley

35 pts.: 20 + 5 combo (15.6a 1001 list) + 10 multiple finish

message 383: by Liz M (last edited Feb 27, 2010 06:22AM) (new)

Liz M 20.10a Lost Generations - Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

50 pts.: 20 + 5 combo (15.6a 1001 list) + 10 multiple finish + 15 complete finish

Now off to read one last book!

Krista (kacey14) Task 10.6 - It's about Time
Read: The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

+5 Combo Points for New Author (Task 10.1)

I'm so close to squeaking out a Mega Finish, but I'm afraid I might miss it by a book or two.

Points for Task = 15
Reading with Style Total = 690

message 381: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jenilyn wrote: "Sam, is ok to count a book for the Spring Challenge if you haven't read more than 50%? I think that is a rule for the regular challenge but wasn't sure if you would except that. The reason, being..."

Yep...I'm fine with that.

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Sam, is ok to count a book for the Spring Challenge if you haven't read more than 50%? I think that is a rule for the regular challenge but wasn't sure if you would except that. The reason, being I was going to read The Joy Luck Club and The Opposite of Fate for the Fiction/Non-Fiction task and I just don't think I'm going to be able to get it done before the end of the week.

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments 20.1 ROYAL READING The Prince and the Pauper

message 378: by Sam (last edited Feb 28, 2010 08:09AM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Thanks for bearing with me on the scores...after correcting and updating, here's where we are:

Donna Jo - 1515
Rachel Lee - 940
Liz - 810
Jenilyn - 710
Krista - 690
Melissa - 610
Erin - 475
Jayme - 455
Cindie - 340
Jennifer L - 325
Teresa - 215
Sam - 180
DeeDee - 130
Shannon - 130
Jennifer D - 100
Bridgit - 70
Sera - 25

Remember, you have until the end of the month to claim points for the winter challenge. If you're still in contention for a top three finish, feel free to send me a task suggestion just in case.

Remember to post or send your ideas for changes to the Style Point system as well.

Donna Jo, we're working on Seussical. It's been a lot of fun, but it's also very stressful. I haven't worked on a production since 2002...and this is the first time I've been a teacher/director instead of just a director.

Liz M Sam wrote: "Scores...

Donna Jo - 1515
Rachel Lee - 940
Jenilyn - 690
Liz - 665
..."

Sam,

I think I should have 55 points under task 10.1 Old & New:
Post 359: Dinner with Friends -- 25 pts. (10 + 5 combo (10.3 Pulitzer 2000) + 10 multiple finish)
Post 354: Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light -- 20 pts. (10 + 10 multiple finish)
Post 98: Veronica -- 10 pts.

message 376: by Liz M (last edited Feb 21, 2010 06:41AM) (new)

Liz M 15.6b 1001 List: Vanity Fair by William Thackeray was sometimes a wonderful read, but at other times it draaaaagged. Although I appreciate the bonus points (814 pages) I would have enjoyed it more as a 500 page book.

50 points = 15 task + 5 combo (10.2 College Board 101) +15 complete finish + 15 jumbo (814 pages).

message 375: by Krista (last edited Feb 19, 2010 09:41AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Finished Tasks

Task 10.3 - A Winning Decade
Read: Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
In 2003 this book won the Agatha Award for Best First Novel.
I liked the book. It was a thoughtful introduction to Maisie Dobbs and the course of her life from her childhood through WWI and it's aftermath. Maisie has now trained to become a private investigator. This is first in a series set in England in the late 1920's. I'll probably read the follow-on books if I come across them. It's not extremely high praise I know, when really it was a nice little book. I gave it 3 stars.
Task Points: 10 + 5 Combo Points (Task 10.1 New Author) = 15

Task 20.2 - Harlem Renaissance
Read: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
I gave this one 5 stars. I thought it was incredible. It probably helped that I listened to it on audio. It was narrated by the wonderful Ruby Dee.
Task Points: 20 + 5 Combo Points (Task 10.1 New Author) = 25

Task 20.8 - Olympic Dreams
Read: The Essential Lewis and Clark by Landon Y. Jones
Combining the preparations that went into the trip. and the 2.5 years that the actual trip across the continent took, this was a dream of Olymipc proportions. I appreciate that the editor sifted through the entries in the journals of both men to present the most informative ones in a more condensed text.
This also completes the Reading With Style Exclusive Tasks! Wa-hoo!!
Task Points: 20 + 5 Combo Points (Task 10.1 New Author) = 25

Exclusive Finish Bonus = 25

New Reading with Style Point Total = 675

message 374: by Krista (last edited Feb 18, 2010 12:15PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Sam wrote: "Scores...

Donna Jo - 1515
Rachel Lee - 940
Jenilyn - 690
Liz - 665
Melissa - 610
Erin - 540
Krista - 520
Jayme - 455
Cindie - 340
Jennifer L - 325
Teresa - 215
Sam - 180
DeeDee - 130..."

Hi Sam:

I took a look at the scoring spreadsheet, and I should have 65 points for Task 20.9 Non(Fiction). See post #352 for where I originally claimed the points.

Maybe the points were accidently put in Erin's column on the spreadsheet? The columns are right next to each other, and she does have 65 points recorded for the task. (But believe it or not, I haven't been keeping track of Erin's points. She very well could have earned 65 points for that task too.) :-)

Adding in those points will bring my current total to 585 points.

Thanks for making the adjustment when you get a chance.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments okay, I thought so, but where did the 2009 Winter Reading With Style thread go?

message 372: by Sam (last edited Feb 18, 2010 06:43AM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jayme wrote: "Is Winter Reading With Style closed? I wanted to squeeze in one more book."

No...you still have until the end of the month!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments Is Winter Reading With Style closed? I wanted to squeeze in one more book.

message 370: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Scores...

Donna Jo - 1515
Rachel Lee - 940
Jenilyn - 690
Liz - 665
Melissa - 610
Erin - 540
Krista - 520
Jayme - 455
Cindie - 340
Jennifer L - 325
Teresa - 215
Sam - 180
DeeDee - 130
Shannon - 130
Jennifer D - 100
Bridgit - 70
Sera - 25

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Sam, thank you so much for running this in conjunction with Cynthia's Challenge. I've loved being about to twist some of the books from that into different tasks for Style points. I must admit I have no idea how I accumulated so many points; I've just had to take your word for it. But it has been fun. (Obviously, I'm not going to volunteer to be co-mod.)
I'll try and get some suggestions to you soon.
What musical are you doing? (I ended up being assistant director one year for the senior class play. It was a madhouse.)

message 368: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jenilyn wrote: "Sam, what are you thinking about the reading with style challenge? Think you are going to continue? I hope so. After the seasonal winter challenge, I'm pretty confident that I will never be able to finish one of those challenges. I just cannot believe how fast some of these guys read these books. But then again, I know I spend too much time on the computer. I really hope you do continue, but will understand if it's just too much work."

For those of you who have asked or are curious, here's where I'm at right now...I'd like to have a Spring Challenge. I still think there's a need for something smaller and more manageable than the Seasonal Challenge. Obviously, though, as you can all tell from how long it takes me to get to the scores, I'm not doing the best job of keeping up with things. Right now, I teach 10th grade English, which is the testing year for writing. The test is part of NCLB, which I loathe. Between that and my duties of assistant director of the school musical, I've not had much time for anything else lately. All of that will be over by the middle of March, at which point I want to focus on more things...like reading.

To that end, I'm going to go back to my initial thought that I'd like to have a co-mod, specifically someone who would be willing to manage scores. That person would maintain a scoreboard in the manner he/she chooses as well as possibly create a standard way of reporting scores that everyone would follow when claiming points.

As for how the Spring Challenge will look, here's how I'm planning to pick the tasks:
-30 tasks total
-20 to 25 tasks from the Seasonal Challenge (with modifications here and there as appropriate, including the group read task)
-1 task designed by me as well as 1 by the co-mod
-1st place winner designs a 20-point task, 2nd place winner designs a 15-point task, 3rd place winner designs a 10-point task.
-That will most likely leave a task or two open for suggestions from players-at-large.
-In addition to winning, the 1st place winner will be responsible for creating/deciding 1 style point category

I also want to start taking suggestions for style categories...we'll have five total. There will also be two bonus categories...like the current Exclusive and Mega Finishes.

So...if you'd like to co-mod, send me a message. If you have ideas for style categories, post them here. If you have other feedback or questions, post them here or send me a message. And I promise I'll get scores updated soon.

message 367: by Jenny (last edited Feb 16, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Patricia Cornwell wrote a couple nonfiction Portrait of a Killer: Jack The Ripper - Case Closed "

oooh, this looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Sam, what are you thinking about the reading with style challenge? Think you are going to continue? I hope so. After the seasonal winter challenge, I'm pretty confident that I will never be able to finish one of those challenges. I just cannot believe how fast some of these guys read these books. But then again, I know I spend too much time on the computer. I really hope you do continue, but will understand if it's just too much work.

message 366: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Feb 15, 2010 08:17AM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments Sam, I have a question on task 20.1 Read a book about a monarch. Does the monarch have to be a real person or can it be a fictional monarch? Well I think I will just claim it and see what you think.

I completed 20.1a. "The Silver Chair" by C.S. Lewis. It had the character Prince Rillian who later became king. If you accept this task I claim 20pts

New Points Total 455

message 365: by Krista (last edited Feb 14, 2010 01:26PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Finished Task 10.2 Lists! - I read a book from the College Board 101 Books to Read
Read: As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

+5 Combo Bonus points. (It qualifies for Task 20.10.a - Lost Generation author.)

I've never read anything by Faulkner before. I have to say I was intrigued. I like the fact that I had to work a little to figure out what was going on below the surface of the words. I'm listening to Their Eyes Were Watching God right now and it's been interesting to compare the styles and voices of these books written in about the same time frame.

I just have to complete the Olympic Dream task (20.8) in order to earn the "Exclusive Finish" bonus. I'm almost done with the book for that task. Yipeee! I LOVE this challenge.

Points for Task 10.2 = 15
Reading with Style Point Total = 585

Krista (kacey14) Two new books done:

Task 10.7 - Celebrate the Decade: Read a book that was written prior to 2000 that was made into a movie during the "Ots" (i.e., 2000-2009).
Read: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
+5 Combo points. New author for me. (Task 10.1) Wow, what an amazing book considering that it was written by blinking one eye.
Points for this task: 15

Task 10.8 Winter Vacation Dreams. I'd really like to go to Italy on my next big vacation. (Which may not happen for awhile...but as the task implies -- you gotta dream.)
Read: The Lady in the Palazzo: At Home in Umbria by Marlena De Blasi
+5 Combo points for Task 15.8.b - Memoir of a woman I admire. I wish I had the nerve to move to Italy and carve out a new life for myself the way she has!
Points for this task = 15

New points claimed = 30
Reading with Style Point Total = 570

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Jenilyn wrote: "Hi guys! I'm having trouble coming up with books for task 20.9. I was thinking Jeanette Walls The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel but it sounds li..."

Patricia Cornwell wrote a couple nonfiction Portrait of a Killer: Jack The Ripper - Case Closed and Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham as well as all her mysteries.

message 362: by Krista (last edited Feb 12, 2010 09:22AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Liz wrote: "Jenilyn wrote: "Hi guys! I'm having trouble coming up with books for task 20.9...."

The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town is John Grisham's non-fiction book."

Oooh, yeah! I thought it was a good book too. Such a sad story.

John Steinbeck has written both fiction and non-fiction. (Just stay away from Cup of Gold).
:-)

Liz M Jenilyn wrote: "Hi guys! I'm having trouble coming up with books for task 20.9...."

The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town is John Grisham's non-fiction book.

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Thank you so much Krista! You've given me some great ideas. I'll do some research and hopefully get started on this task this weekend!

Liz M 10.1b Book Written By An Author Never Read Before - Dinner with Friends by Donald Margulies: 25 pts. (10 + 5 combo (10.3 Pulitzer 2000) + 10 multiple finish)

message 358: by Krista (last edited Feb 11, 2010 04:11PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Jenilyn wrote: "Hi guys! I'm having trouble coming up with books for task 20.9. I was thinking Jeanette Walls The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel but it sounds li..."

Hi Jenilyn:

I eventually used Barbara Kingsolver because I wanted to read The Lacuna. She has written several non-fiction books as well as all her wonderful fiction. I read Small Wonder: Essays and thought it was terrific.

The other authors I was considering were:
Geraldine Brooks (March and Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women were the specific books I had earmarked.)

Anne Lamott -- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life for the non-fiction, and so many good choices for the fiction!

Antonia Fraser writes biographies of British Royalty, and the Jemima Shore murder smyteries.

Ann Patchett wrote a non-fiction memoir about her friendship with the poet Lucy Grealy. (Truth & Beauty: A Friendship) and has numerous works of fiction.

Sue Monk Kidd has recently published a wonderful memoir written with her daughter, ]Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story and has published other non-fiction works plus her great fiction.

Without going into much detail, I know these authors have written non-fiction and fiction. See anyone intriguing?

Annie Dillard
Rita Mae Brown
Stephen King
Natalie Goldberg

Hopefully that helps a bit. :-)

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments Hi guys! I'm having trouble coming up with books for task 20.9. I was thinking Jeanette Walls The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel but it sounds like these are both non-fiction. Then I thought of Wally Lamb The Hour I First Believed: A Novel and Couldn't Keep It to Myself: Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Institution but I'm not sure how much writing Wally actually does in that one as I think it's more about the women and their stories in their words, so I'm not sure that would work? If not, any other suggestions?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments I finished 10.1b (again) new author. I read "Frozen In Time: The Enduring Legacy of the US. Figure Skating Team" by Nikki Nichols. So 10+10 (multiple finish)

New Points 435

Liz M Sam wrote: "This weekend, I'm going to get a discussion started about what to change for next time that will hopefully make things less convoluted. (I'm still unsure, however, if there will be a next time.)"

Oh please oh please do let there be a next time! Maybe to make it easier the winners or volunteers can help keep the score tallies or with whatever else that needs to be done.

I enjoy this more than the seasonal challenge, as the strategizing with the style points allows me to be within waving distance of the extraordinarily fast readers. Even more entertaining is using a book for both challenges and almost every time claiming it under different tasks....

Liz M 10.1b Book Written By An Author Never Read Before - Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light: A Novel by Ivan Klíma: 20 pts. (10 + 10 multiple finish)

message 353: by Donna Jo (last edited Feb 10, 2010 03:00PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Finished:
10.3 A WINNING DECADE
Costa Award: Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self by Claire Tomalin.
A really detailed and interesting book about a man who was far more than just his diary, which is all that most of us know him by.

PEN/Faulkner Award: The March: A Novel by E. L. Doctorow
I enjoyed this novel of the winding up of the Civil War much more than some that were written around the same time.

Pulitzer Prize: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
Surely there were much better books out there to win the Pulitzer. It was okay but hardly outstanding.

All three books were by authors I had never read before qualifying for 10.1b and the Diaz books was set partially in the Dominican Republic which is an island country.20.3 The March takes place in 1864 so would qualify for 15.3

Also just read for 10.9 )Wormwood by Susan Wittig Albert, which is also good for 15.8A

This means I've read something for each of the categories for this task. (I've already reported on Wolf Hall and Storm Track for the other two

message 352: by Krista (last edited Feb 10, 2010 01:00PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Wa-hoo. I finished another big task!

Task completed: 20.9 Fiction or Non? I chose Barbara Kingsolver as my author.
Fiction Read: The Lacuna
I LOVED this book. I gave it 5 stars.
At 508 pages this qualifies for the 5 point Jumbo Finish bonus, and it also qualifies for the 5 point Combo Finish as I'm yearning to go back to Mexico for my winter vacation. (Style Task 10.8)
Points for this book: 30 (20+5+5)

Non-Fiction Read: Small Wonder: Essays

I prefer Kingsolver's ficton the her non-fiction. But that's not to say that the non-fiction is without merit. I found that Small Wonder: Essays was really touching in spots, and thought provoking throughout. I just prefer to get lost in her wonderful stories most of the time.
Points for this book: 35 (20 + 15 Complete Finish Bonus)

Sam, I think we get to claim 20 points for each book read for this task, even though the task requires that two books be read before it can be completed. If that's incorrect, just let me know and we can adjust the points.

Total Points for the task: 65
New Reading with Style Point Total: 540

TeresaFL | 94 comments Finished 20.3 Island Dreams (Stephanie US)
The Third Circle by Amanda Quick. Set in England as it's one of the historical Arcane Society books. And as England is my dream vacation right now that's another 5 pts for the combo of task 10.8.

25 for this task.
Total pts - 215.

message 350: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Feb 09, 2010 01:12PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments I racked up so many points doing this challenge because we can do tasks more than once. I wish my otgher online bookclubs did it.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Added:
20.4 O Canada
Another Kind Of Cowboy by Susan Jurby
This is the second one I've read for this task, but maybe I don't get extra points, as it is YA. Anyway, it is set in Canada by a Canadian author.

Jenny Auer (mom23boys) | 131 comments I agree I hope there will be a next time. I will join in and help anyway I can!

Krista (kacey14) Jayme wrote: "aww Sam, I like the Reading With Style. There should BE a next time. "

Me too!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments aww Sam, I like the Reading With Style. There should BE a next time.

message 345: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Finished another task the other day.

20.8 Olympic Dreams
[book:Squire's Legacy: The Life and Struggles of Clifford Earl White, the Justice of the Peace, Clear Fork District, Ral..."

This weekend, I'm going to get a discussion started about what to change for next time that will hopefully make things less convoluted. (I'm still unsure, however, if there will be a next time.)

message 344: by Krista (last edited Feb 09, 2010 11:26AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Liz wrote: "Krista wrote: "Task 20.10 (Part A) - Lost Generation Author
Read: Cup of Gold by John Steinbeck
Combo points as it also works for....15.3 Historical Fiction"

Sam's definition of Historical fiction is different than the winter challenge -- he specifies published after WWII and taking place prior to WWII.
..."

Hi Liz: You're right! I had forgotten that Sam had used a narrower definition for this task. Luckily for met it still qualifees for the Combo point bonus since it fits the Island Dreams task (20.3). This was set primarily in Wales, Barbadoas, Jamaica nad England.

Cindie Harp | 840 comments I read The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone, an author whom I had never read...

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Teresa wrote: "Finished another task the other day.

20.8 Olympic Dreams
Squire's Legacy: The Life and Struggles of Clifford Earl White, the Justice of the Peace, Clear Fork District, Raleigh County, Wv. 1..."</i>

<i>Sam wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Finished:
10.2 NPR Top 100 Beach Reads: [book:The Joy Luck Club
by Amy Tan;
College Board: ,
The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot;
Oprah Book Club: [book..."

I'll take it. I must admit I've never quite caught on to the scoring of this challenge, so I'm at your mercy. LOL

message 341: by Liz M (last edited Feb 09, 2010 05:24AM) (new)

Liz M Krista wrote: "Task 20.10 (Part A) - Lost Generation Author
Read: Cup of Gold by John Steinbeck
Combo points as it also works for....15.3 Historical Fiction"

Sam's definition of Historical fiction is different than the winter challenge -- he specifies published after WWII and taking place prior to WWII.

message 340: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments I've completed 20.3 twice:

Slam - Nick Hornby (YA, no bonus)
The September Societ - Charles Finch (multiple finish)

Total = 50 points.

message 339: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Finished:
10.2 NPR Top 100 Beach Reads: The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan;
College Board: ,
The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot;
Oprah Book Club: [book:The Heart Is a L..."

I'm coming up with 85 points...ten for each book, ten points for a multiple finish for the first three books, and then fifteen points for a complete finish for the fourth book.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8