The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

READING WITH STYLE > Winter 2009 - Tasks, Questions, Scores, etc.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 388) (388 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Sam (last edited Dec 01, 2009 01:20PM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Reading with Style (Winter 2009)

The idea behind this “game” is to take the tasks from The Seasonal Challenge, shake them up a bit, and come up with something that might appeal to people who have been participating in the challenges for a while now (but anyone is welcome to play). You might like this game if one or more of the following applies to you:

-You’ve finished the Seasonal Challenge before
-You’ll likely never finish the Seasonal Challenge but love competition
-You find that skipping tasks in the Seasonal Challenge causes you physical pain
-You miss the instant gratification of points when you embark on multi-book tasks
-You’d like extra credit for reading books with exorbitant page counts

And so on.

The concept is this: I’ve selected some of the tasks from the Winter Challenge, modified them ever-so-slightly, applied a more streamlined point system, and created a system of “style points.” When you complete a task, you’ll get the points for completing the task as well as any style points that apply. In this way, you can win Reading with Style without ever having to complete tasks that you don’t like. Repeat tasks as often as you like! Read giant books without fear of getting behind or “never finishing”!

This game is set up so that you can play both Seasonal Challenge and Reading with Style. Or, just play Reading with Style--it’s completely up to you! Post questions, plans, and completed tasks all in this discussion topic (veterans of the Seasonal Challenge when it called TNBBC will recall this process).

Please note: Any decisions, postings, etc. pertaining to Reading with Style apply here and only here. If you want to claim points for a task for both Reading with Style and the Seasonal Challenge, you must claim points here AND there.

Here’s how you receive extra points for finishing tasks when playing Reading with Style:

Style Points:

Combo Finish: Receive an extra 5 points when claiming points for a book in one task that could have applied to another task as well.

Multiple Finish: Receive an extra 10 points every time you finish a task more than once.

Complete Finish: Receive an extra 15 points for reading both parts of an either/or task.

Jumbo Finish: Receive extra points for reading books according to the following scale:
-500 Pages: 5 Points
-700 Pages: 10 Points
-800 Pages: 15 Points
-900 Pages: 20 Points
-1000+ Pages: 25 Points

Exclusive Finish: Receive an extra 25 points for completing all Reading with Style Exclusive tasks.

Mega Finish: Receive an extra 30 points for completing all tasks.

Level of Difficulty Finish: No "style points" are awarded for Young Adult, Graphic Novels, or Re-Reads. (Note: Any task you complete using any of the above you will still earn you the original task points.)

And here are the selected tasks for Reading with Style (Winter 2009):

10 Points

1. Out with the Old & In with the New!
A. Read The Book That Has Been On Your TBR Pile/Shelf The Longest.
OR
B. Read A Book Written By An Author You Have Never Read Before.

2.Lists! - Read a book from one of the following lists:
Oprah Book Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah%27...)
College Board 101 Books to Read (http://www.collegeboard.com/parents/p...)
Time Magazine Top 100 Books: 1923-Present (http://www.time.com/time/2005/100book...)
NPR Top 100 Best Beach Reads (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...)
Reading with Style Exclusive!

3. A Winning Decade - Read A Book That Has Received One of the Following Literary Awards During The Years 2000-2009.
Man Booker Prize
Costa Award
PEN/Faulkner Award
Pulitzer Prize (Fiction or Drama)
Agatha Award

4. Popularity Contest – Discovering the Hot Books of 2009….
A. Go To http://www.goodreads.com/book/popular...
B. Pick a Book from Any Month List or from the List for the Year.

5. Eying the Tiger - Read A Book Written By An Author Who Shares Your Chinese Zodiac Sign.

6. It's about Time (DLM Rose):
Read a Book with One of These Words in the Title: Second(S), Minute(S), Hour(S), Day(S), Week(s), Month(S), Season(S), Year(S).

7. Celebrate the Decade (Bonnie)
Read a book that was written prior to 2000 that was made into a movie during the "Ots" (i.e., 2000-2009).

8. Winter Vacation Dreams (Wendy)
Read a Book That Takes Place in Your Dream Vacation Spot.

9. Baby It's Cold Outside - Read a Cozy Mystery.
http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

10. Isn't It Romantic? - Read A Book With One of These Words in the Title: Love, Romance, Cupid, Sweetheart, Valentine, Heart, Kiss, Chocolate, Roses, Or Jewelry.

message 2: by Sam (last edited Dec 01, 2009 01:22PM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments 15 Points

1. The Newberry Award (Rachel Lee)
Pick A Year And Read Both The Newbery Winner And One Of The Honor Books From That Year. (Note: You Must Read BOTH Books for This Task.)

2. Science Fiction - Past and Present (Helen):
A. Past: Choose A Sci-Fi Novel Written By An Author Who Has Won A
Hugo OR Nebula Award Prior To The Year 2000.
OR
B. Present: Choose A Sci-Fi Novel Published During the Current Century.

3. If I Could Turn Back Time (Lisa MD)
Read a historical fiction novel written after WWII (i.e,. 1946-2010)...
A. That takes place between 1845-1945
OR
B. That takes place prior to 1845.

4. Make Me Laugh - In Honor Of Richard Pryor (Born December 2, 1940 – Died December 10, 2005) Famous African American Comedian….
A. Read A Black Comedy Or Satirical Novel

5. Small Screen Stories - Read A Book Inspired By, OR Was The Inspiration For, OR Is In Some Way Related To Your Favorite Television Show (Past Or Present).

6. 1001 Books (Leora)
A. Read one book from the list written between 1910-2009 (1-755 on the list).
OR
B. Read one book from the list written before 1910 (756-1001).
THE LIST

7. The Allure of Alliteration - Read A Book Whose Title Contains Alliteration - The Title Must Have 2 Or More Words That Begin With Same Letter Back To Back OR With Only A Short Word In Between (i.e. A, And, In, On, The etc.).

8. What Women Want (to Read and Write) - In Honor Of Betty Friedan (Born February 4, 1921 - Died February 4, 2006) Famous Feminist…
A. Read A Novel Written By A Female Author From A Series That Has A Female Main Character.
OR
B. Read An Autobiography Or Biography Of A Woman You Admire (Book Must Also Have Been Written By A Woman).

9. Posthumously Speaking (Diane)
A. Read A Fiction Book Told By A Narrator Who Is Deceased While Telling The Story
OR
B. Read Either Fiction Or Non-Fiction Book That Was First Published After The Death Of The Author

10. Group Reads
Read One Of The Following Group Read Selections (or their Runners-Up!) And Make At Least One Post In The Discussion Thread.
A. Classic - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (Runner-Up: Rebecca)
B. Winter - The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0 (Runner-Up: A Christmas Carol)
C. Romance - The Princess Bride (Runner-Up: Outlander)

20 Points

1. Royal Reading
A. Read A Novel Featuring A Monarch As A Main Character.
OR
B. A Non-Fiction Book about a Monarch(s).

2. Harlem Renaissance - In Honor of Zora Neale Hurston (Born January 7, 1891– Died January 28, 1960) Famous Harlem Renaissance Author…
A. Read A Novel That Was Written By An African American That Also Has An African American Protagonist.
OR
B. Read A Non-Fictional Account Of The Harlem Renaissance Or A Biography/Autobiography Of An Important African American Figure From That Time Period. Ex. Langston Hughes Or Billie Holiday.

3. Island Dreams (Stephanie US)
Read A Book That Takes Place On An Island Country Listed On This Page: List Of Countries. Note: Reading with Style change: Any book that would qualify for the Pearl Harbor/Hawaiian task is acceptable here.

4. Oh Canada! - To Commemorate The Upcoming Winter Olympics That Will Be Held In Vancouver, Canada - Read A Novel Written By A Canadian Author, Set In Canada, Or A Non-Fiction Book About Canada.

5. From Russia with Love - Read A Novel Written By A Russian Author, Set In Russia, Or A Non-Fiction Book About Russia.

6. Celebrating the King, Part I: Elvis' birthday is January 8. Whether he is truly alive in the Witness Protection Program, travelling among the stars with alien races, or quietly slumbering in his Graceland grave, read a book (fiction or non) about a conspiracy. Reading with Style Exclusive!

7. Celebrating the King, Part II: In honor of Martin Luther King's birthday (January 15)...
A. Read a non-fiction book about the civil rights movement
OR
B. A fiction book set during that time period (c. 1955-68) Reading with Style Exclusive!

8. Olympic Dream: Athletes aren’t the only ones who work and train for years to achieve their goals. Read a fiction or non-fiction book in which one of the main characters sets a difficult goal, sacrifices, makes a great effort, and finally achieves the goal--in a span of no less than four years. Reading with Style Exclusive!

9. Fiction or Non? Read two books by the same author - one must be fiction, one must be non-fiction. In your estimation, which genre is the author's forte? (Both parts of this task must be completed to receive points, but you will also receive “Complete Finish” style points as well.) Reading with Style Exclusive!

10. The Lost Generations (Sam)
A. Read a novel or collection of short stories/plays by one of the following authors who are often called part of the post-WWI "Lost Generation": F. Scott Fizgerald, Ernest Hemingway, John dos Passos, Gertrude Stein, Zelda Fitzgerald, Sherwood Anderson, John Steinbeck, William Faulkner.
OR
B. To celebrate the final season of Lost, read a book featured on the show over the years: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Liter...

message 3: by Sam (last edited Mar 01, 2010 02:53AM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments -Tasks are finalized! I moved one time task from 15.3 to 10.6 and replaced it with the new time task (Historical Fiction). I also slightly adjusted Bonnie's decade task and re-added it as 10.7.

-When posting completed tasks, make sure you specify which style bonuses you might be claiming as well. (Remember, re-reads, YA, and Graphic Novels are not eligible for style points.)

-Strategize! Reading with Style is about reading, but it's also a game. Maximize your points just like you would if you were playing Scrabble or any other game.

-If you have ideas for future Reading with Style challenges, especially ideas for style points, send me a message.

-There will be winners! I'm still thinking about how winners will be incorporating into future Reading with Style games...

message 4: by Krista (last edited Nov 24, 2009 05:32PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Hey Sam -- this looks like a lot of fun! Thanks. I think I'll do BOTH challenges this next season.

Hey, I did have one question though. I'm not sure what the Multiple Finish style point means.

Multiple Finish: Receive an extra 10 points every time you finish a task more than once.

Could you give me an example?
Thanks!

message 5: by Sam (last edited Nov 24, 2009 05:42PM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Krista wrote: "Hey Sam -- this looks like a lot of fun! Thanks. I think I'll do BOTH challenges this next season.

Hey, I did have one question though. I'm not sure what the Multiple Finish style point mea..."

Absolutely...here's how it works:

Let's use 10.10 (Groupreads) as an example. Say you complete this task by reading The Stupidest Angel. That gets you 10 points. Later, you want to complete the task again by reading Outlander (because you can do that in Reading with Style). You get the original 10 point value for the task plus the 10 "Multiple Finish" style points. AND, because Outlander is 850 pages (at least it is in the edition I own), you'd also receive 15 "Jumbo Finish" style points.

So that's 10 points for The Stupidest Angel and 35 points for Outlander (unless, of course, one of those is a re-read).

It's a lot like double word/letter scores in Scrabble.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2696 comments Sam, this looks interesting. I sort of did this with the fall challenge--I read something for all the OR parts of the questions, for example. I'm just trying to think how to set my spread sheet up to accomodate the slight differences in numbering. Since the Winter challenge is shaping up to be so big I might not get that done this time...but who knows.

message 7: by Krista (last edited Nov 24, 2009 05:49PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Sam wrote: "Krista wrote: "Hey Sam -- this looks like a lot of fun! Thanks. I think I'll do BOTH challenges this next season.

Hey, I did have one question though. I'm not sure what the Multiple Finish st..."

Okay, I think I get it now. Just to clarify though, Outlander isn't one of the Group Reads selected for the Winter Challenge. For your example, I'd need to read another of the the books selected for the challenge's Group Read.

Correct?

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Krista wrote: "Sam wrote: "Krista wrote: "Hey Sam -- this looks like a lot of fun! Thanks. I think I'll do BOTH challenges this next season.

Hey, I did have one question though. I'm not sure what the Mult..."

That's one of the "tweaks" I made to some of the tasks for the sake of this game--here, you can get points for reading any of the three runners-up as well as the winners. Not going to do you a lot of good if you're only going to want to sync up with The Seasonal Challenge, but it's still a fun possibility here.

Krista (kacey14) Sam wrote: "Krista wrote: "Sam wrote: "Krista wrote: "Hey Sam -- this looks like a lot of fun! Thanks. I think I'll do BOTH challenges this next season.

Hey, I did have one question though. I'm not sure ..."

Doh! It helps if I read ALL the title in the task.

Angela | 370 comments Great idea Sam!! Def. interested :)

message 11: by El (new)

El Good plan, Sam. I won't be participating in the Winter Challenge either, but might enjoy dabbling in this a bit when/if my life starts to cooperate again. :) Regardless I plan to keep checking in; this idea intrigues me and I'm excited to see how it goes. Let me know if you would like an extra hand with anything. Except math... numbers and I had a fight when I was in Kindergarten and we've never quite made up.

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) Great idea Sam!

Erin Carney | 157 comments Count me in!

Deedee | 1090 comments I'll give this a try! :0)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 910 comments This was a good idea to me until the whole YA kick out... other than that, it looks like fun!

message 16: by El (new)

El Kathryn wrote: "This was a good idea to me until the whole YA kick out... other than that, it looks like fun!"

It's actually not a kick out. You can read them, you just don't get extra "style" points for it. Looks like you can still make points in a lot of other ways.

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Two things for people who want to play:

1) Suggest any pressing changes you think should be made prior to 12/1. Also, if we do this again in the springs, the style point categories can be changed based on what did/didn't work well.

2) Send me an idea for a task.

Erin Carney | 157 comments Hey Sam - I want to send you my idea for a task but your profile is private so I can send you a message!

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) This looks like fun. I might have to try this with the other one.

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Erin wrote: "Hey Sam - I want to send you my idea for a task but your profile is private so I can send you a message!"

I didn't realize that you couldn't send messages to someone with a private profile...so I changed it.

Felina I like idea alot. I am somewhat bummed about the exclusion of YA.

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Felina wrote: "I like idea alot. I am somewhat bummed about the exclusion of YA."

They're not excluded...you still get the original task points, but not the "style" points. I have YA and Graphic Novels picked out to read, so it's not that I don't like them myself. I just wanted to try and create different levels of difficulty within the game.

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1347 comments So, will the points for Reading with Style be stacked on top of the points for the Winter Reading Challenge, or are the totals completely separate?

message 24: by Sam (last edited Nov 25, 2009 12:47PM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "So, will the points for Reading with Style be stacked on top of the points for the Winter Reading Challenge, or are the totals completely separate?"

Completely separate. Post here to receive points for Reading with Style; post under "WINTER CHALLENGE 2009-10" to receive points for the Winter Reading Challenge. Ideally, in the future, Reading with Style will have its own winners who will create challenges exclusively for Reading with Style, making it more of a separate entity--with the idea that you can still compete in both if you like.

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Sounds like fun! This will help clear up some room on my TBR shelves. Thanks Sam!

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1347 comments Thank you for clarifying! I just wanted to make sure before I went in and started changing my list...this challenge should be interesting, too. I'm not sure how much I'll participate because of the YA restriction (that's mostly what I read so I'll know what to recommend to my students), but I think I'll play from time to time.

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Just to clarify, for the combo finish, if a book fits two tasks, you get an extra 5 points. If a book fits 3 or more tasks, do you get an extra 5 points for each extra task it fits? Or is it just an extra 5 points if it fits another task, regardless of the number of tasks it fits?

Just asking because I can think of a few I'd like to read that can fit at least 3 tasks.

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jennifer L. wrote: "Just to clarify, for the combo finish, if a book fits two tasks, you get an extra 5 points. If a book fits 3 or more tasks, do you get an extra 5 points for each extra task it fits? Or is it just..."

It would be the latter, a flat 5 points regardless of how many tasks a book fits.

Melissa | 198 comments I LOVE this! Sounds like a lot of fun! I am fairly confident I will not finish the winter challenge, but I'd love to try this in tandem to see how it plays out.

message 30: by El (new)

El Sam,
For this version of "9. BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE - Read a Cozy Mystery", does it also need to be something from the Cozy Mystery list that Cynthia had posted, or are you opening it up for any type of mystery? You didn't include the Cozy Mystery link so I wasn't sure your intention. Thanks!

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 910 comments No, I was referring to style points. I wasn't confused about that.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1857 comments How are these challenges different than the Winter Challenge 2009-2010?

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jayme wrote: "How are these challenges different than the Winter Challenge 2009-2010?"

Some of them are exactly the same. Some of the multi-book tasks have become either/or challenges. Others have been broadened or refined a little bit. However they've been modified, most of what you would read for points here will get you points in the main challenges as well.

message 34: by Sam (last edited Nov 26, 2009 05:52AM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments El wrote: "Sam,
For this version of "9. BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE - Read a Cozy Mystery", does it also need to be something from the Cozy Mystery list that Cynthia had posted, or are you opening it up for any ty..."

Let's keep the mysteries cozy...I checked the website, and it looks pretty comprehensive, so there's plenty of choices. I went back and posted the link. Incidentally, there's a lot of verbiage and some links from the original tasks that I edited out when I re-posted them here--my only intention there was to save space since I figured most people would have seen the full text in the main challenge section.

Plus, New Tasks Posted Above! There's room for more...keep sending them in!

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1347 comments "1. The Newberry Award (Rachel Lee)
Pick A Year And Read Both The Newbery Winner And One Of The Honor Books From That Year. (Note: You Must Read BOTH Books for This Task.)"

Uh, YA doesn't count...and the Newbery is for Children's/YA, so you couldn't possibly earn style points for this one, just the "normal" points.

message 36: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 26, 2009 04:07PM) (new)

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes)
Hi Sam.

I will definitely participate in both versions of the challenge. Thank you for organizing the first "Reading With Style" event.

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes)
Hi Sam.

Will you be creating a separate folder for posting completed tasks &/or plans? Or will we post in this folder?

Thanks!

message 38: by Sam (last edited Nov 27, 2009 02:31PM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jennifer wrote: "
Hi Sam.

Will you be creating a separate folder for posting completed tasks &/or plans? Or will we post in this folder?

Thanks!
"

Originally, I had asked for a separate discussion category so we could have multiple folders for tasks, plans, etc., but that's not the way that it worked out.

Post everything pertaining to Reading with Style--questions, completed tasks, and plans--right here. I'll post point totals once a day.

message 39: by Sera (last edited Nov 27, 2009 03:23PM) (new)

Sera Cool idea, Sam. I tend to read long books of 500 pages or more, which impedes my ability to finish the challenges. Now I can get style points for them - that's great!

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) Sam wrote: "Originally, I had asked for a separate discussion category so we could have multiple folders for tasks, plans, etc., but that's not the way that it worked out."

That's too bad, but thanks for managing this. Like Sera, who posted just above, I tend to read longer books so the bonus 'style' points is quite exciting.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2696 comments Sam, sorry my post to your private box was so abrupt--had a doggy emergency and had to go clean it up.

message 42: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 28, 2009 01:41PM) (new)

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes)
Hey Sam!

LOVE, love, love "The Lost Generation" task. Awesome call on that one!

:D

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Just want to make sure I understand how the "complete finish" tasks are scored.

For example, if I complete part A of a task (ie. 20.1 - a novel with a monarch as a main character), I get 20 points. Now, if I complete part B (a non-fiction about a monarch), I get the 20 points for completing the task, plus another 15 points, for a total of 35 points for the second book? Is this correct?

If so, what about "multiple finish" points? Do we also get 10 points for completing both parts of the task? Or do the "multiple finish" points only count for completing the same part of a task more than once (ie. part A two or more times)? Or, do the "multiple finish" points only count when you complete BOTH parts of a multi-part task more than once?

Sorry - I just want to make sure I'm clear on the scoring.

Thanks.

message 44: by Sam (last edited Nov 29, 2009 06:23PM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Jennifer L. wrote: "Just want to make sure I understand how the "complete finish" tasks are scored.

For example, if I complete part A of a task (ie. 20.1 - a novel with a monarch as a main character), I get 20 poin..."

You've pretty much got it down.

-If you read The Other Boleyn Girl, you'd get 20 points for finishing the task.

-Then, if you read The Six Wives of Henry VIII, you'd get the 20 points for finishing the task plus the 15 Complete Finish points.

-Finally, if you went back and read The Boleyn Inheritance, you'd receive another 20 points for finishing the task yet again plus the 10 Multiple Finish points.

So, that'd be a total of 85 points for the three books...and all three of those books would also qualify for Jumbo Finish points.

That's part of the purpose of this game--i.e., to reward for depth and/or breadth of reading instead of just breadth.

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Sam wrote: "Jennifer L. wrote: "Just want to make sure I understand how the "complete finish" tasks are scored.

For example, if I complete part A of a task (ie. 20.1 - a novel with a monarch as a main charact..."

Thanks Sam! I'm such a math geek and I can see so many possiblities in scoring - it's going to be very interesting! lol

Sera I'm not a math geek so I may need some help once we get started :)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments Sera wrote: "I'm not a math geek so I may need some help once we get started :)"

As long as you post the completed tasks and any style points that you are claiming, you don't have to sweat the math.

I'm going to be keeping score via Google Spreadsheet...there's a link in Message #3, where I'll also be posting in-game announcements as necessary.

message 48: by El (new)

El Sam, will you honor books we've started prior to December 1st so long as we're less than 50% of the way through at the beginning of the challenge? I hate to make the assumption; you know what they say about people who assume... :)

message 49: by Sam (last edited Nov 30, 2009 06:10PM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments El wrote: "Sam, will you honor books we've started prior to December 1st so long as we're less than 50% of the way through at the beginning of the challenge? I hate to make the assumption; you know what they..."

The assumption is fine, but I'd stay away from 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 until all the Seasonal Challenge tasks are in since those are the ones I'll take out if the new tasks are more attractive. (It's called working the kinks out.)

Liz M Sam,

For the new 15.6, it is structured as part A OR part B (each requiring one book), but also states we have to read two books.....?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8