The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > ABIGAIL'S TASK - ODD MAN OUT

Comments (showing 54-103)    post a comment »

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I was thinking about Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd, but that was published in 2009, so it's out, huh? Hmmmmm... I think the first half of Bonnie's task is going to be the hardest for me. I guess I'll read this book for 25.1a....

Abigail | 318 comments Tanja wrote: "There's some fantasy taking place in modern times. Unfortunately Jim Butcher's books all were published in the past decade.

I'm doing [book:Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the B..."

Tanja, I just thought of one possible conflict. Is your new year's resolution anything to do with weight or looks? Because beauty definitely relates to that. If not, though, I think you're in good shape.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Abigail wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Right now I am looking at Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck, but haven't run ALL the tests on it yet. "

Oh, I *loved* that book when I read..."

You are a doll. Happy Thanksgiving with your Mom.

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments I have added per Abigail's request the additional caveat that the 50 pointer midway doesn't count as a dis-qualifier for this task.

Abigail | 318 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Right now I am looking at Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck, but haven't run ALL the tests on it yet. "

Oh, I *loved* that book when I read it years ago. Lucky for you, I'd forgotten all about it and don't have it on my five-star list. ;) (And I promise to wait to put it there until March, too!)

Right now, it looks like a good choice. If I think of something that rules it out, though, I'll let you know. Enjoy it!!

Abigail | 318 comments Krista wrote: "Abigail wrote: "Krista wrote: "I'm thinking about reading Deception on His Mind ... It is a mystery, but NOT a cozy mystery. We'll have to wait and see what Bonnie says re: the movie. ..."

Aw, Mom's flight was good. It was sweet of you to ask. Now the traffic away from the airport, that's another story. But, hey, not so bad when it's shared with someone, right?

But don't get too excited. I'll probably be bad about checking in as much in the next three or four days, once the house is overrun with visitors!

message 97: by Night (last edited Nov 24, 2009 06:45PM) (new)

Night | 57 comments Bridgit wrote: "Night - The Pilot's Wife was made into a movie in 2002, so that wouldnt work, and the Weight of Water was made into a movie in 2000, so that wouldnt' work either. "

Thanks, Bridgit. Movie will be the thing I'll have to watch for, since I'm Asian and not familiar with many movies.

Abigail wrote: "As for Lucky, it looks like a series with female protagonists. I'm not sure if they rotate, though, and if that makes it somehow exempt from qualifying for 15.3. Also, if your favorite game is poker or something like that, it could fit 15.4. As long as those two aren't true, I think it would work.

The Magician's Apprentice seemed okay, though. Also, as far as I'm concerned, if you've read anything by an author ..."

OK, thanks Abigail. Lucky is definitely out. I forgot to see that it's a series. But I'll keep The Magician's Assistant as a backup. (I'm not in Poker so this book definitely works.)
I don't want to re-read it so the search still continues!

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Right now I am looking at Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck, but haven't run ALL the tests on it yet.

Krista (kacey14) Abigail wrote: "Krista wrote: "I'm thinking about reading Deception on His Mind ... It is a mystery, but NOT a cozy mystery. We'll have to wait and see what Bonnie says re: the movie. Thanks!"

Sounds..."

Me too! How was your Mom's flight in? It's so nice of you to check back in on us after your airport run.

Abigail | 318 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Rachel Lee wrote: "Ok, let's try this again. Eye of the Beholder-..."
"I sure wouldn't call it a cozy. And it's not on the cozy list."

Then I think we have a winner! Phew.

Abigail | 318 comments Krista wrote: "I'm thinking about reading Deception on His Mind ... It is a mystery, but NOT a cozy mystery. We'll have to wait and see what Bonnie says re: the movie. Thanks!"

Sounds terrific then. (Sorry I didn't pay much attention to the finer nuances of its mystery qualities.) I'll keep my fingers crossed that Bonnie gives you the "right" answer. ;)

Abigail | 318 comments Beth(MN) wrote: "I think I finally found one.

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho. I've read 2 other books by the author and loved them both, so I am crossing my fingers that thi..."

That is one terrific checklist! My to-do list including making one for myself, and you just made my life easier. THANKS!

Plus, that book sounds great. Maybe I'll use it as my book for an author I haven't read before... Or would you recommend a different one by her?

Abigail | 318 comments Petra wrote: "...Abigail, does taking Band in High School count as music lessons and, therefore, disqualify this book for me?"

I don't think so -- at least, not unless your best gift was a private school education with a focus on music or some such. Even if you consider it a gift, it still has to be your *best* gift, so that's totally up to you.

Abigail | 318 comments Night wrote: "I am digging out old or TBR books. Would these be ok for this task?

Lucky by Sharon Sala (1995)

The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett (1997)
This will be a re..."

Someone already noted that the Anita Shreve books were turned into movies in the last decade, so I guess those are out.

As for Lucky, it looks like a series with female protagonists. I'm not sure if they rotate, though, and if that makes it somehow exempt from qualifying for 15.3. Also, if your favorite game is poker or something like that, it could fit 15.4. As long as those two aren't true, I think it would work.

The Magician's Apprentice seemed okay, though. Also, as far as I'm concerned, if you've read anything by an author -- including this book -- he/she is not new to you. Rereads are fine.

Abigail | 318 comments Katie wrote: "In a similar line of thinking to Dlmrose, Teresa in Ohio's profile is still set to private and she is no longer a member of this group. So unless you're her friend, you have no way of checking to make sure that your book is not one of her 5 stars, right? So, can we just, um, not include her? (That sounds really snide, but I didn't mean that way.)"

If you can't see her list, it can't constrain your choices. Don't include her, in the least snide way possible. :)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Abigail wrote: "Rachel Lee wrote: "Ok, let's try this again. Eye of the Beholder-not born in year of ox, have read this author before, not part of a series, very few reviews so no 5-star from any win..."

I sure wouldn't call it a cozy. And it's not on the cozy list.

Abigail | 318 comments Dlmrose wrote: "This may be splitting hairs, but the winners' task asks us to read a book from ONE of the winners' 5 star lists- would it be okay to check just one list for this task?

I'm just thinking that si..."

That might hard to track, but I'll think about it. If it were worded differently (i.e., Pick the challenge winner who something or another, and then read one of their five-star books...), it'd be an easy yes. But I think the point of the task is to give you a wide range of books/tastes to choose from.

But I'll definitely think about it. I don't want this task to be onerous.

Abigail | 318 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "Ok, let's try this again. Eye of the Beholder-not born in year of ox, have read this author before, not part of a series, very few reviews so no 5-star from any winner or other person..."

Does it count as a cozy mystery? (It had a couple classifications as mystery, so...) That's the only thing that immediately caught my eye.

Abigail | 318 comments Bridgit wrote: "I can't speak for Abigail, but based on her answers so far, I imagine she doesnt want anyone to go too crazy researching for this task. Make sure it doesnt obviously fit any of the task, but, for example, dont check every person who lives in Mongolia's list if your name starts with an M."

You're exactly right, Bridgit. If you can't find a place for that one book, this is your chance. Please don't spend hours trying to make sure that no one in Mongolia loved it, or that it doesn't tangentially relate to the 174 Dewey decimal category, or that its first printing in 1987 originally had a cover with red, white, and blue, or whatever.

That said, it *is* way more prohibitive than I originally thought. I promise I'll be lenient when I can!

night music -- bring on the clowns ♫ (pjreads) Beth(MN) wrote: "I think I finally found one.

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho. I've read 2 other books by the author and loved them both, so I am crossing my fingers that thi..."

Great check-list -- that will be helpful.
You're right, I haven't rated this one -- it's on my TBR list.

Krista (kacey14) Abigail wrote: "Krista wrote: "Okay, here's my next stab at this. I'm thinking about reading Deception on His Mind which I don't think will work for any of the current tasks ---drum roll please---- e..."

It is a mystery, but NOT a cozy mystery. We'll have to wait and see what Bonnie says re: the movie. Thanks!

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) Petra wrote: "Thanks! Abigail, does taking Band in High School count as music lessons and, therefore, disqualify this book for me? "

Petra, I think this would only matter if this is what you have chosen to be the gift you have appreciated the most (for task 15.6 Gifting & Giving). If you have selected something else as your 'best gift ever received', than I would guess this point to be moot. Which means Yippee for you and for Buddenbrooks!!
(Of course this is my totally unofficial opinion! LOL!!)

message 81: by Beth F. (last edited Nov 24, 2009 02:27PM) (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 451 comments I think I finally found one.

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho. I've read 2 other books by the author and loved them both, so I am crossing my fingers that this one won't be bumped by any new tasks (or that I've missed anything while checking the title against the current tasks).

Ok...and this is basically rambling but here are my notes to myself with my justifications for why I think this book will work (and it only took me 2 hours, hehe).

--originally published in 1989

--Coelho is Year of the Pig (I'm Horse)

--Teresa's profile is private so I'm not counting her but I checked all the other winners and only PJReads has this book on her list but it's not rated.

--No for winning any awards, not a movie, not Canadian, Hawaiian nor Russian.

--not a black comedy or a satire

--no for the "popularity contest" task for January 2009 (my b-day is in January)

--no alliteration, which I definitely had to check because originally I'd been looking at Veronika Decides to Die A Novel of Redemption by the same author but had to disqualify because of the alliteration

--the local literature lover I'm using for that task doesn't have this book on her list. Neither does Kate in Ethiopia (my name is Elizabeth) and Paraph in France (my last name starts with F) only gave this book 2 stars, so no worries there (these are my users for that task).

--no for Alice, Lewis, and Lewis & Clark

--one of the main characters is a woman but the author is a man. He's also still alive.

--not science fiction, not about an epidemic, no colors or numbers in the title, not related to my Dewey Decimal numbers, not a group read, nothing to do with a holiday or a gift (in my eyes), no cooking or recipes and no words related to my favorite game.

--book is set in Spain, which I'm sure is a lovely country but it's not on my top 5 list of "dream" vacation spots.

--Book isn't related to a resolution, no "time" related words or "winter vacation" related words in the title.

Ummm...yeah. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. :)

Petra Jennifer wrote: "Hi Petra.

Are you, by chance, the year of the horse for the Chinese zodiac? I believe that is where Mann would be with his birth date. Other than that, BJ Rose's task? It's open to anything, really. A final thought I had was the 'gifting & giving' task ~ if you were ever given the gift of music (lessons as a child?) you could possibly use this book as music is pretty important aspect of Hanno's being. I don't know if this helps, but thought I would try!

:)
..."

Thanks, Jennifer! You're helping me to confirm that Buddenbrooks fits this task afterall!
I'm born in the Year of the Dog and have never had music lessons as a child. I did take Band in High School. I don't think that would count as music lessons....but would it?
BJRose's task is exempt from this task, isn't it? I'd better check that out, too.

Thanks! Abigail, does taking Band in High School count as music lessons and, therefore, disqualify this book for me?

Bridgit | 384 comments Night wrote: "I am digging out old or TBR books. Would these be ok for this task?

This will be a re..."

Night - The Pilot's Wife was made into a movie in 2002, so that wouldnt work, and the Weight of Water was made into a movie in 2000, so that wouldnt' work either.

I didnt look up your first two books though,

Katie Dlmrose wrote: "This may be splitting hairs, but the winners' task asks us to read a book from ONE of the winners' 5 star lists- would it be okay to check just one list for this task?

I'm just thinking that si..."

In a similar line of thinking to Dlmrose, Teresa in Ohio's profile is still set to private and she is no longer a member of this group. So unless you're her friend, you have no way of checking to make sure that your book is not one of her 5 stars, right? So, can we just, um, not include her? (That sounds really snide, but I didn't mean that way.)

Night | 57 comments I am digging out old or TBR books. Would these be ok for this task?

This will be a re-read. So I guess it doesn't count as new writer to me?

The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve (1997) or maybe The Pilot's Wife (1998)

Dlmrose | 8009 comments Mod
This may be splitting hairs, but the winners' task asks us to read a book from ONE of the winners' 5 star lists- would it be okay to check just one list for this task?

I'm just thinking that since I'm so stingy with 5 stars I have really limited everyone for that task- maybe my sparse list might be a benefit here :)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments WOOHOOO! I can read Beauty!!!!

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments holy shnikey, this is tough!

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) Petra wrote: "If anyone sees a task this book fits into (other than this one), please let me know. I've been trying to fit it in."

Hi Petra.

Are you, by chance, the year of the horse for the Chinese zodiac? I believe that is where Mann would be with his birth date. Other than that, BJ Rose's task? It's open to anything, really. A final thought I had was the 'gifting & giving' task ~ if you were ever given the gift of music (lessons as a child?) you could possibly use this book as music is pretty important aspect of Hanno's being. I don't know if this helps, but thought I would try!

:)

Bridgit | 384 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "Ok, let's try this again. Eye of the Beholder-not born in year of ox, have read this author before, not part of a series, very few reviews so no 5-star from any winner or other person..."

This looks good to me! I think the point of this task is to be able to fit in that random book you have that you have been wanting to read, but cant find a slot for it - rather than to be so prohibitive.

I can't speak for Abigail, but based on her answers so far, I imagine she doesnt want anyone to go too crazy researching for this task. Make sure it doesnt obviously fit any of the task, but, for example, dont check every person who lives in Mongolia's list if your name starts with an M.

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes)
Amanda wrote: "I think I'm going to read East of Eden by John Steinbeck."

Hi Amanda!

I don't want to be the one to put a kink in your plans...but East of Eden does fit the alliteration task..SORRY! I didn't want you to get underway and then not have it count. I noticed Jamie already mentioned this, right after your initial post, so thought you might have missed that. I am actually reading East of Eden right now and LOVING it so much. Maybe you can put fit it into BJ Rose's task? The edition I am reading (Steinbeck Centennial Edition) is 601 pages, so you would only need a book 224 pages or longer to get you up to the 825 page requirement.

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Abigail wrote: "Jennifer L. wrote: "Steinbeck won a Nobel Prize - does that count as a prize-winner since Nobel is encompasses all of an author's body of work?"

No, the main prize task is constrained to prizes aw..."

Oh good! :)

message 69: by Heidi (last edited Nov 24, 2009 12:05PM) (new)

Heidi | 52 comments Abigail wrote: "Heidi wrote: "I think I'm ok with reading The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving...its a male author, who I've read before, it was published in 1981, the film of it was made in 1984......"

Thanks for that - I did have a quick look at the winners lists, but I'll wait and see if it ends up any of the future winners lists before the end of the challenge! I'm loving your task!

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Ok, let's try this again. Eye of the Beholder-not born in year of ox, have read this author before, not part of a series, very few reviews so no 5-star from any winner or other person. Anyone see any problem? Maybe 15th time is the charm :)

Must say as frustrating as this is, it has given me plenty to do this morning :D

Abigail | 318 comments I'm off to pick my mom up from the airport. Please don't worry if I take a little longer to respond over the holiday. I promise I'll check in relatively often.

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Abigail wrote: "Rachel Lee wrote: "Watchlist A Serial Thriller-This book has Jeffery Deaver listed as the main author however it is actually a collaboration of a bunch of different authors- I guess..."

It's ok. I haven't read all of the authors individually so it is disqualified. It is so much harder to search for something that doesn't fit criteria than it is for things that do fit criteria. I never realized that before.

Abigail | 318 comments Tanja wrote: "I'm doing [book:Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the B..."

I just reread the alliteration task. It doesn't say anything about subtitles, but it does say that the two words have to be separated by nothing more than A short word. You have two short words, so you're okay either way!

Abigail | 318 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "Watchlist A Serial Thriller-This book has Jeffery Deaver listed as the main author however it is actually a collaboration of a bunch of different authors- I guess they all wrote one..."

I hate to say it, but I think you need to check all of them. GR lists them all in the author byline, so they all count. Ugh, sorry.

Abigail | 318 comments Jennifer L. wrote: "Steinbeck won a Nobel Prize - does that count as a prize-winner since Nobel is encompasses all of an author's body of work?"

No, the main prize task is constrained to prizes awarded to specific books (not authors) in 2000-2009. Other tasks rule out Hugo, Nebula, and Newbery winners, but that still leaves the Nobel Prize winners up for grabs. Regardless, Steinbeck should be okay ... except for East of Eden fitting the alliteration task.

Abigail | 318 comments Heidi wrote: "I think I'm ok with reading The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving...its a male author, who I've read before, it was published in 1981, the film of it was made in 1984...is there anyth..."

I need to double-check the winners' five-star lists still (see 5.4). As long as it's not there and you haven't had it on your TBR shelf since 1984 (hee hee; see 15.9), AND your dream vacation isn't at a hotel in NH (see Wendy's task, currently 25.6), you should be all set.

message 61: by Rachel Lee (last edited Nov 24, 2009 11:43AM) (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Watchlist A Serial Thriller-This book has Jeffery Deaver listed as the main author however it is actually a collaboration of a bunch of different authors- I guess they all wrote one chapter of the story-would we need to check to see what the birthdates of all the authors are or can I just use Jeffery Deaver's to see if he was born in the same zodiac year I was?

Also, same thing for the author you have never read-it appears that this was Jeffery Deaver's brainchild.

I think it fits for everything else.

Hopefully that made sense.

Jamie Abigail wrote: "Please no! Don't do that! That sounds AWFUL. As long as it doesn't fit your *chosen* Dewey decimal task categories, it's fine.

That's good to know - thanks! : )

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments Amanda wrote: "I think I'm going to read East of Eden by John Steinbeck. It's not in this decade, not sci fi, no recent movies, I've read Steinbeck before, the author is male..it's not about Thomas Je..."

Steinbeck won a Nobel Prize - does that count as a prize-winner since Nobel is encompasses all of an author's body of work?

Abigail | 318 comments Jamie wrote: "For this task, how are we to consider the Dewey Decimal System task? Do we need to cross-reference all of our 5-star books with all possible subjects if we didn't participate in the Fall Challenge?"

Please no! Don't do that! That sounds AWFUL. As long as it doesn't fit your *chosen* Dewey decimal task categories, it's fine.

In other words, let's say you use a book with 300 pages for the Dewey decimal task. You also have a five-star book with 100 pages. You don't have to rule out all the books that relate to categories that correspond to the 100-page book just because you gave it five stars. It's on the book you USE for the challenge that you need to consider.

Warning: Please do keep in mind, though, that it can't fit into one of the +/-2 categories. In other words, if you chose the example book with 183 pages, you can't use a book that relates to anything in the Dewey categories of 181-185, 429-433, or 929-933.

Abigail | 318 comments Tanja wrote: "There's some fantasy taking place in modern times. Unfortunately Jim Butcher's books all were published in the past decade.

I'm doing [book:Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the B..."

I'll see if I can find out about subtitles and alliteration for you. Otherwise, it sounds good to me.

Heidi | 52 comments I think I'm ok with reading The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving...its a male author, who I've read before, it was published in 1981, the film of it was made in 1984...is there anything I've missed?

Jamie For this task, how are we to consider the Dewey Decimal System task? Do we need to cross-reference all of our 5-star books with all possible subjects if we didn't participate in the Fall Challenge?

message 54: by Rachel Lee (last edited Nov 24, 2009 11:15AM) (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Does anyone see any problem with City of Golden Shadow?

Nevermind-Gold was ok'd for Theresa's task so back to the drawing board.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The House of Mirth (other topics)
Buddenbrooks (other topics)
The Professor (other topics)
Villette (other topics)
Ender's Game (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Orson Scott Card (other topics)
Richard Yates (other topics)
Daphne du Maurier (other topics)