Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Young Adult Werewolf?

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments I was looking for some advice for a good young adult stand alone or series on werewolves for an 11 year old. She is a little advanced and has read Twilight and is in the process of reading the Vampire Diaries, but she is partial to the wolves. I just don't want anything too romantic or steamy. Someone suggested Moonlight (#1 of the Dark Guardien Series) but all the talk of Soul Mate stuff just seems a bit much for me to give an 11 year old...any thoughts???

message 2: by Laura Lulu (last edited Nov 23, 2009 08:52AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) How about Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers series? Not shifters exclusively, but there is a wolf. It's about a group of teens who are sent to a home for teens with issues, but it turns out they all have supernatural powers (the main character sees dead people).

There are 2 books out now, the 3rd comes out in May 2010, and so far there has been no romance.

The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1384 comments Might find some recs in this thread.

message 4: by Mollyscribbles (new)

Mollyscribbles | 47 comments The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey. You've got magic, a sorta-werewolf, and a romance that doesn't go beyond slight innuendo at the end. A strong female lead who wears glasses makes this one of my favourites ever.

message 5: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (Nat_22) | 2 comments How about Shiver by Maggie Steifvater??

message 6: by Levi (new)

Levi Jenkins (levi-jade) | 43 comments How about this series?
Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs
or
Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2426 comments Mod
Levi--I think that the Mercy books and the Charles and Anna books are a little bit mature for an 11 year old. I know that I wouldn't let MY daughter read any of them when she was 11. Altho, knowing my daughter, she'd probably have figured out how to get her hands on them anyway. :o) She's well out of the 11 year range now (34 going on 35) and I'm STILL not sure if I should let her read them. lol

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I would suggest Shiver. A lot of the same Twilight type themes and romance. If you let her read Breaking Dawn then you would more than likely approve of this one.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments My only problem with Shiver for an 11 year old is that they share the same bed and thoughts are put forth as to how it makes her feel. I think they may even fool around a bit in bed. I LOVED Shiver so if you are okay with that then it is a great book.

I would go with the Armstrong YA series.

message 10: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Thank you all for the suggestions. She isn't my daughter, she is my best friend's daughter so I don't to make the judgement call. I would prefer very little to no romance for now. I have read some of the Mercy books, though there is no "sex" in them I do think they are far too mature for her IMO.

I did pick up the Summoning for her and I picked up Night Runner for her 13 year old son who is currently reading the Vlamir Todd Series and Night Runner looked promising for him : )

Thanks again!!!

message 11: by Clerah (new)

Clerah One series that I would recommend is the Guardians series by Rachel Hawthorne - Here is the linky to the books in the series.

I'm not sure how appropriate it is for an 11 year old but there is no sex. Most of the characters are in high school.

message 12: by Amanda (last edited Dec 01, 2009 04:30AM) (new)

Amanda Orlich (booknookreview) | 97 comments Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) by Melissa Marr Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) by Melissa MarrThese are good books, too. They aren't werewolfy, but they have the fae, so there's a lot of paranormal stuff. There's giddy teen romance, but it's not inappropriate for the age group. There are some sensual scenes, but nothing over the top. You may want to skim through Wicked Lovely first, as that is where two of the main characters start a relationship.

For a young teen, I recommend Don't Die, Dragonfly (The Seer, #1) by Linda Joy Singleton Witch Ball (The Seer, #3) by Linda Joy Singleton Last Dance (The Seer, #2) by Linda Joy Singleton Sword Play (The Seer, #4) by Linda Joy Singleton Fatal Charm (The Seer, #5) by Linda Joy Singleton There are some kissy scenes, but that's it. It deals with a somewhat deep issue of the main character's grandmother being ill due to a paranormal curse-type-thing, and a grand adventure ensues. There are some ghosts, and the main character can see spirits and talk to her "spirit guide." I've read it, and it was a fun read. I flew through those books so fast. (By the way, Linda Joy Singleton writes other kids books.)

Right now, I'm reading the House of Night series by P.C. Cast. I don't think those are really appropriate for an 11 year old. It deals with bloodlust and having multiple crushes, but in a few years if she's still into paranormal stuff, she'll probably love them.

Also, has she read Harry Potter? If she can read Twilight, she'll probably do fine with HP.

Hope that helps!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments I will start off by saying that I don't have kids, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. =)

While I love Marr's Wicked Lovely series, I worry that it might be a bit too much for an 11 year old. It's a dark series that touches on sex, drug use and sexual assault although they aren't the focus of any of the books. If she has someone with whom to discuss any questions that might arise from the books, then they might be okay, but I would probably give it a couple of years before introducing her to the series.

message 14: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (CrimsonFeather) | 66 comments Laura wrote: "How about Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers series? Not shifters exclusively, but there is a wolf. It's about a group of teens who are sent to a home for teens with issues, but it turns out they al..."

I agree. There hasn't been a lot of romance, but there will probably be some pg stuff in the 3rd. I loved the series and am looking forward to the next book.

message 15: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn | 211 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Levi--I think that the Mercy books and the Charles and Anna books are a little bit mature for an 11 year old. I know that I wouldn't let MY daughter read any of them when she was 11. Altho, knowi..."

I'm with you. MT And A&O are a little too mature, I think, especially with a rape scene, and a fair bit of violence.

Mortal Instruments is a good YA series, and it does have wolves in it. Although, there is some stuff about inappropriate feelings between siblings.The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass

message 16: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (CrimsonFeather) | 66 comments AlbertaJenn wrote: "Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Levi--I think that the Mercy books and the Charles and Anna books are a little bit mature for an 11 year old. I know that I wouldn't let MY daughter read any of them when sh..."

I loved the trilogy, and yes there was some inappropriateness between siblings, but when you're reading, you can feel that something isn't right and that they can't be siblings. When you first read it, it's appalling, but after a while you know that something is up.

message 17: by Tobin (new)

Tobin | 19 comments A new book just came out called Shiver, its by Maggie Stiefvater, it puts a whole different spin on the werewolf mythology and so far (im about 4/5 of the way done) its pretty good. It is a Young Adult book and is published by scholastic. The second book in what will be a 3 part series comes out next summer and it is called Linger. Hope this helps!

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie H. (StacieMH) | 73 comments I also agree that Shiver might be a good book, and, if she has read through the Twilight books and the Vampire Diaries books, then bed scenes will be much more mild. Also, maybe if she has liked the Vampire Diaries books, then try the Night World series also by L.J. Smith...

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) How about Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

I think I read it in 6th or 7th grade. I don't remember it being too racy or anything

message 20: by Klehmenteen (new)

Klehmenteen (Kanni) | 10 comments Amelia Atwater-Rhodes has written a number of books that are about shifters, but pretty exclusively avians and snakes...
She's a very good writer, though, and her vampire books are also good reads.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole um, yeah if she's reading Vampire Diaries then Shiver should be okay. i wouldn't recommend the Wicked Lovely series though. the Seer series by Linda Joy Singleton is a good choice. it is for grades 6-8. also i agree with any LJ Smith series.

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 438 comments I'd recommend visiting Amazon.com and doing an advanced search for keyword "werewolves" under the category of Young Adult/Teens and just browse a few that come up. The Twilight series is listed as age 12 & up, and most of the other books in the YA category have age recs so you should be able to find something with a similar age range that is appropriate.

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 438 comments i.e. "Need" by Carrie Jones sounds appropriate and is also listed as ages 12 & up.

message 24: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 1 comments There's a new book out this month called The Dark Divine that might fit the bill, especially for a younger teen/tween.

message 25: by ~Tiffany~ (new)

~Tiffany~ the The Summoning,and The Awakening have romance in them. it's just consealed. but the The Reckoning comes out on May 10, 2010.

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1384 comments Yup, Need has a werewolf and is pretty clean.

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mlsimmons) | 33 comments I saw several people mention the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs. And as much as I love this series, it is not young adult.

I did read a book that was listed as young adult. Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a great young adult werewolf book. I am not a huge fan of YA books, I have just gotten a little sick of the teenage angst, but there are a few that I love. This was one of those.

I would also recommend The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. They are not werewolf books, but they are probably the best YA books I have ever read.

I am also a fan of the Kelley Armstrong books listed above, The Summoning, The Awakening and The Reckoning are also very good books that do have werewolves in them. If you have read her adult Women of the Otherworld series, this series is set in the same world, but the characters are teenagers. I would recommend it as well.

message 28: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jul 31, 2010 12:23AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) You asked about Dark Guardians. I call this series Diet Twilight. It's actually more innocent than Twilight, so I'd feel fairly safe in letting her read it.
Moonlight (Dark Guardian, #1) by Rachel Hawthorne Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2) by Rachel Hawthorne Dark of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #3) by Rachel Hawthorne Shadow of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #4) by Rachel Hawthorne

Just realized that this thread was bumped today from months ago, so not sure if the original poster is even checking this anymore, haha.

message 29: by Mollyscribbles (new)

Mollyscribbles | 47 comments If you want a romance-free young adult book about werewolves (or something close to it), you'll want to check out The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place. It's about three children who were raised by wolves (possibly the shifting kind; hard to say at this point in the series) and the general tone is a less depressing Lemony Snicket.

message 30: by Caramelle (new)

Caramelle | 106 comments If you're still looking for suggestions for YA books w/ werewolves...

'The Wolves of Mercy Falls'
by Maggie Stiefvater
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
I have not read the series, but it has been highly recommended.

'The Mortal Instruments'
by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare
These I've read and truly enjoyed. They don't focus on werewolves, but are incorporated into the storyline.

message 31: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Weatherford (laceyweatherford) I would recommend Shiver. There is a romantic theme to it but it is light and tastefully done.

message 32: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Hi All!

Thank you so much for all the recommendations. I am always looking for new books for her and other "tweens" in my life so I am still occasionally checking this. This site has been such a tremendous and valuable resource!!!!

message 33: by Adrienne (last edited Aug 20, 2012 06:14PM) (new)

Adrienne | 1 comments let her try Once in a Full Moon Once in a Full Moon (Full Moon, #1) by Ellen Schreiber

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 240 comments If she wasn't so young I would suggest Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer but she is. The Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater would be better but although no detail is given, the leads do have sex in the first book. It's just mentioned it happens, again no detail not even much detail leading up to the act. Still, fair warning.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (MLPMomBookReviewer) | 784 comments Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock is very good and right in the YA genre that you are looking for.
Hemlock (Hemlock, #1) by Kathleen Peacock

I second the Need series as well, very good.

message 36: by Allison (last edited Aug 20, 2012 08:38PM) (new)

Allison | 247 comments Adrienne wrote: "let her try Once in a Full Moon Once in a Full Moon (Full Moon, #1) by Ellen Schreiber"

Once In A Full Moon is a good book, and so is it's sequel Magic of the Moonlight (Full Moon, #2) by Ellen Schreiber.

The main character isn't a werewolf, but one of the main love interests is in Firespell (Dark Elite, #1) by Chloe Neill. It is a great YA series.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Awakening (other topics)
The Summoning (other topics)
Iron Kissed (other topics)
Hunting Ground (other topics)
Moon Called (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Hawthorne (other topics)
Patricia Briggs (other topics)
Jennifer Lynn Barnes (other topics)