Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Young Adult Fiction > Welcome YA Authors and Readers!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 686) (686 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Vincent, Mod & Author (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 1004 comments Mod
This folder is for readers and writers of young adult fiction.

Welcome! Please post your books or leave a comment!

message 2: by Vincent, Mod & Author (last edited Dec 10, 2009 10:28PM) (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 1004 comments Mod
I have three categories for my book, so I'll leave a post here.

Title: Constellation Chronicles The Lost Civilization of Aries
Constellation Chronicles The Lost Civilization of Aries by Vincent Lowry

Synopsis:

A blinding fireball rips across the night sky and slams into a field in the remote town of Rigel, New Mexico. Glenn Sawyer, a broke and disillusioned 18-year-old, witnesses and investigates the crash, finding a surreal craft and an even stranger monkey-like creature named Paako, who secretly follows him home and stirs up trouble. As Glenn captures Paako and attempts to return her to the crash site, he discovers unexpected company, and learns that his remarkable journey -- filled with adventure, evil, and a cast of captivating characters -- has only just begun.

Books Website: http://www.ConstellationChronicles.com

message 3: by Carmen (last edited Nov 21, 2009 05:06PM) (new)

Carmen | 21 comments A Spanish Princess.
An American Boy.
A King set on revenge.

An unrequited love
and a disturbing family secret
bring a World to the brink of War.

Two Moon Princess is a young adult historical fiction fantasy that takes place in a medieval world reminicent of Medieval Spain.

This is how my publisher (Tanglewood Press) describes it:

In this coming-of-age story set in a medieval kingdom, Andrea is a headstrong princess longing to be a knight who finds her way to modern-day California. But her accidental return to her family's kingdom and a disastrous romance brings war, along with her discovery of some dark family secrets. Readers will love this mix of traditional fantasy elements with unique twists and will identify with Andrea and her difficult choices between duty and desire.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (SweetChinaDoll) | 2 comments Hello! Vincent was kind enough to ask me to join this group.
My novel, Baling, is about two teenage brothers who spend a summer on their Aunt's farm, baling hay. They find adventure, danger, and romance, and have the summer of a lifetime.

http://www.amazon.com/Baling-Carol-Ha...

Not sure how to send the link....
It is also available on Kindle. It has some nice reviews, so please check it out!

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber Lehman (amber_lehman73) | 28 comments Hello, My book TORN is a Young Adult novel for teens 17 years and older.

Synopsis: When fourteen-year old Krista McKinley transfers from Catholic school in Ohio to California’s public Crestmount High, she discovers she has a lot to learn. Luckily, she is befriended by Carrie and Brandon and things start to look up. But when a simple dare tests Krista’s values, it sends her entire world spiraling into a confusing series of events that leaves her questioning her identity as well as the people around her.

Torn by Amber Lehman

http://www.amazon.com/Torn-Amber-Lehm...

Thanks for viewing!
Amber :)

message 6: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (GloriaOliver) | 20 comments Hi!
My name is Gloria Oliver

I have four books currently in print for YA Fantasy/Fantasy genre with another on the way. Let me put some links in here and a little bit about each one.

In the Service of Samurai by Gloria Oliver
The choice: Serve the undead or become one of them.

Toshi never expected the strange visitor who one evening stepped foot inside his master’s shop. A samurai smelling of the sea, dripping on the ground, algae strung from his armor. For the first time in his life, he discovers that monsters do roam the earth. And this one has been specifically looking for him.

Dragged from his home and all he has ever known, Toshi must now use his acquired skills in foreign maps to help the creatures who have taken him. Yet at every turn there are problems. There are even those seeking to terminate his very life, not wanting his new master to succeed in his assigned task. And when they do find it, Toshi discovers his new master’s enemies have prepared for their eventual arrival, leaving him the only one capable of recovering what has been lost. Can he do what even the undead cannot? Or will he fail and be forced to wander the world as one of them?

Vassal of El by Gloria Oliver

Torn between two worlds, will he be able to save either of them?

Torren wanted nothing more than to forget his past and endure the life it had forced upon him. One small, begrudging act of kindness, however, embarks him on a path which will bring him face to face with everything he has so heartily attempted to avoid.

In so doing, events which seemed to have no bearing on his old life now appear to be tangled with it and his present.

Caught between the world of his birth and the one he currently lives in, will Torren be able to set aside his hate and guilt long enough to keep both from utter destruction?

Willing Sacrifice by Gloria Oliver

To save the world she must die! Or does she?

For as long as she can remember, La'tiera has known her purpose, her destiny. As the Bearer of the Eye, she will wait until the appointed time then sacrifice herself to the demons so the lands will be safe.

Yet as the time approaches, she is snatched from her home by strangers and is told it is for her protection. These strangers tell her she is not to be a sacrifice, but must fight to live in order for the world to be saved.

La'tiera will not be swayed, however, her duty clear. Despite their clever lies, she will follow through on her destiny and do what is required. Her every effort will be put to freeing herself from her kidnappers and meeting her fate as planned.

[image error]

Talia didn’t want to be apprenticed, not even to the prestigious Dragon Knight’s Guild. She is taken to the school by a cross-eyed dragon and his partner, Kel. A dizzying, madcap ride leaves her less than eager to be a knight, but soon she finds out the guild has need of many types of people. Running into the dragon and squire again and again, she comes to realize the unlikely pair are outsiders in their own school—participants of the dragon-human pairing ritual, which in the end didn’t work quite as intended. They are stubborn loners who are determined to overcome the obstacles in their path and make a true pair. Or are they?

As Talia’s first year at the guild evolves, she must deal with the quirks of the Administrator, her lessons, the odd rules of the school, the students, the mystery of Clarence and Kel, and somewhere in there, possibly decide what it is she wants for her own future.

Sample chapters and other info can be found at www.gloriaoliver.com

message 7: by Russ (new)

Russ Woody | 17 comments Vincent

Another great discussion group.

The Wheel of Nuldoid is for young adults through adults.

It's about three humans who must make a journey to a spherical city at the center of the earth called Nuldoid. The machinery there is responsible for the earth's rotation. And it's in trouble.

The Wheel of Nuldoid (Volume 1) by Russ Woody

The Wheel of Nuldoid

Hope you enjoy.
Russ

message 8: by Delyse (new)

Delyse Trink | 34 comments Hi,
I am so happy to annouce that my first romance novel was recently published. It is an ebook titled Wrapped in a Rainbow. Available for download to your computer at http://www.amazon.com or at http://www.clublighthousepublishing.com
It is a romance set in Canada and the Bahamas-appropriate for young adults or adults. Here is one review:
5.0 out of 5 stars Wrapped In A Rainbow by Delyse Rodrigues-Trink, January 25, 2010
By Janine Marzec

Amazon Verified Purchase
"Wrapped in a Rainbow is a special romance, involving a fantasy, tropical lifestyle set in the Bahamas with memorable characters, an interesting, uplifting and enjoyable plot and carefully written dialogue. Must reading during your next vacation!" -from ebook reader Janine Marzec

Hope you enjoy it!
Delyse

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Thomson (RachelStarrThomson) | 7 comments My YA fantasy is Worlds Unseen.

The Council for Exploration Into Worlds Unseen believed there was more to the world and its history than the empire had taught them. Treating ancient legends as history, they came a little too close to the truth. Betrayed by one of their own, the Council was torn apart before they could finish their work.

Forty years later, Maggie Sheffield just wants to leave the past behind. Memories of the Orphan House where she grew up are fading; memories of her guardians’ murder are harder to shake. When a dying friend shows up on her doorstep bearing the truth about the Seventh World–in the form of a written covenant with evil–Maggie is sent on a journey that will change her forever. Along with the Gifted gypsy Nicolas Fisher, who hears things no one else can, Maggie joins with the last surviving members of the Council and a group of eastern rebels led by a ploughman and a princess to discover the truth.

It won’t be easy. The Seventh World has long been controlled by the Blackness, and its monstrous forces are already on Maggie’s trail.

(The sequel, Burning Light, is also available.)

Free to download from http://www.smashwords.com/profile/vie... , or purchase in paperback from online retailers or http://www.rachelstarrthomson.com/boo...

Worlds Unseen (The Seventh World Trilogy, #1) by Rachel Starr Thomson Burning Light (The Seventh World Trilogy, #2) by Rachel Starr Thomson

message 10: by D.E. (new)

D.E. Knobbe (DEKnobbe) | 5 comments Runaway Storm by D. E. Knobbe
Nate stole the kayak . . . sort of. His parents don't know where he is, and that's just fine with him. He's made it to the chain of sparsely populated islands off the coast of Vancouver, his kayaking dream come true. So what could possibly go wrong?

For starters, he hadn't counted on real runaways making him feel like a fraud or on the cops chasing him into a wild and deadly storm. Nate hadn't planned to shipwreck on a deserted island either, or to have a run-in with a crazed drug smuggler, who drifted into the bay on a crippled Sailboat, ready to protect his stash with a loaded gun.

Should Nate save himself or the Goth girl from Seattle who tried to rescue him? Between being chased by criminals, shot at, and almost drowned, their options aren't looking good. You can enter to win a kayak at my website after you read the book, and I would be happy to answer emails if you have questions go to runawaystorm.com tks...D. E. Knobbe

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

[image error]

The might immortal Guardians of Jor’el once protected Allon. They knew no defeat until rebellion within their ranks and battle drove them away. For five centuries, mortals suffered under the Dark Way, until prophecies of the Promised Prince and return of the Guardians became reality. Still, Ellis must prove he is worthy to be king and gain support of the Council of Twelve if he is to defeat the evil. Not all are favorable and one will betray him, leaving the fate of Allon and Guardians in the balance.

You can view the book trailer at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Yc0s...

And visit the website at

http://www.allonbooks.com

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess Scott (jesscscott) Hello! My book EYELEASH: A BLOG NOVEL is an alternative Young Adult novel.

Jade Ashton is a sassy virgin. In her private blog, she vents about “fitting in” a world where superficiality reigns supreme.

Suddenly all logic flies out the window when she meets Novan: the former geek, who’s morphed into a delicious songwriter-musician.

They decide to be “friends-with-benefits”. But it’s Novan, with his poems and riddling passages on his own blog — which *isn’t private* — that backs out.

EyeLeash captures self-discovery in the 2000s, and showcases the colorful, intricate drama in two youths’ relentless search for themselves — and what’s really in their hearts.

EyeLeash A Blog Novel by Jess C Scott

Website Link: http://eyeleash.wordpress.com
Sample Chapters: http://fiction-ebooks.com/sample/2864...
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRoFD...

message 13: by Tika (last edited Apr 16, 2010 05:53PM) (new)

Tika Newman (TikaNewman) | 25 comments The Eyes of Innocence

The Eyes of Innocence series, by Tika Newman

This wildly popular series tells about the life of an orphaned girl as she grows up displaying an innate way with animals and many surprises for her aunt and uncle. By the age of five, Kalina is showing psychic abilities and the power to heal. The series opens when Kalina is nearly sixteen, and a white horse haunts her dreams. On her birthday, the horse appears. The mare is real, and she is hers.

Kalina's tumultuous life is riddled with unanswered questions. Someone is watching her, and although she is aware of this, she has no fear. When the day arrives that she actually meets these people, she quickly forms a bond with them, much to her aunt and uncle's dismay.

Follow Kalina's escapades, as she matures into a gifted psychic and healer. Her aunt and uncle want her to tone down her abilities, but Kalina is unwilling to do as they ask. If someone needs her, she reacts, especially if a child is involved. People grow suspicious of her extraordinary powers, and try to prove their theories, but haven't been able to uncover the truth....yet.
Kalina is unique, as is her story.

Finally, we have an author who displays her heartfelt emotions by bringing Kalina alive to us all!

www.thistlewoodpublishing.com

message 14: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Simone (CelesteSimone) | 1 comments Hi Gloria,
Your three books look really interesting. Something me and my friends would enjoy reading. I'm going to add them to my to-read. Which company did you publish them with?
I especially was intrigued by the samurai! Good luck in your ventures! (I'm a fellow young adult fantasy author.)

Gloria wrote: "Hi!
My name is Gloria Oliver

I have four books currently in print for YA Fantasy/Fantasy genre with another on the way. Let me put some links in here and a little bit about each o..."

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

My Handsome Vampire Falling in love (Volume 1) by Vianka Van Bokkem
Twin Vampire Witches Reign of Blood and Magic (Volume 1) by Vianka Van Bokkem
Nailah the Egyptian Vampire Sorcerer A Being a Ghost a Vampire and a Human Novella (Volume 2) by Vianka Van Bokkem
Dragons & Griffins Prince Edward and Emma's Quest (Volume 1) by Vianka Van Bokkem

I wanted my covers to show on my first post and I chose the link instead lol
Vianka Van Bokkem :-)

message 17: by Shelena (new)

Shelena | 4 comments Hello,
I'm Shelena Shorts, and my YA novel is THE PACE. It's a book with romance, mystery, suspense and an interesting take on immortality.I hope you guys check it out :)!!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/65...

message 18: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Benefiel (StaceyWallaceBenefiel) Hello all! My debut novel is entitled Glimpse. It is a YA paranormal romance. Here's a little blurb about it:

Zellie Wells has a devastating crush on Avery Adams, the son of her mom’s high school sweetheart. At her sixteenth birthday party, held in the basement of her dad’s church, she finally finds the courage to talk to him. Turns out, the devastating crush is mutual.

As Avery takes her hand and leads her out onto the makeshift dance floor, Zellie is overwhelmed by her first vision of his death; shocking because not only are they both covered in his blood, but they’re old, like 35, and she is pregnant.

Afraid to tell anyone about the vision, (she’d just be labeled a freaky black magic witch, right?) Zellie keeps the knowledge of Avery’s future to herself and tries to act like any other teenager in love. When they get caught on their way to a secret rendezvous by her mom and his dad, they are forbidden to see each other.

Convinced that their parents are freaking out unnecessarily, Avery and Zellie vow to be together no matter what. They continue their relationship in secret until Zellie learns that their parents are just trying to prevent her and Avery from suffering like they did. The visions are hereditary, they’re dangerous, and if they stay together the visions will come true.

Now Zellie must choose between severing all ties with Avery, like her mom did to prevent his father’s death, and finding a way to change Avery’s future.

My website: http://staceywb.webs.com

Cheers,
Stacey

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan Quinn (Susan_Kaye_Quinn) | 43 comments My debut novel Life, Liberty, and Pursuit is a young adult love story about a college-bound girl who falls in a pool, the Navy recruit who rescues her, and their struggle to choose between following their dreams and daring to love.

It's an empowering story for teen girls about making choices in life and love, but also a fun summer read for anyone who enjoys a love story. :)

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (ChasmofBooks) Your book sounds good Stacey.

message 22: by R.G. (new)

R.G. Cordiner | 3 comments I have just released Treasure Lost.

What do you treasure and how far would you go to find it?

Peter and Farren are two brothers who think adventure is sneaking into a pub one night for an ale. Little do they know! A dying, bedraggled man hands them a parchment and soon their beloved Nanna is captured, which sets the two youths on a whirlwind trip of betrayal, daggers, self-discovery and a giant reticulated python! Somehow they have to find a way to stop fighting with each other, overcome a sadistic Navy Admiral and his fleet, and avoid a mysterious cloaked pirate captain whilst remembering to tap the biscuits on the side of the ship – maggots are never good for breakfast!

Treasure Lost is an adventurous novel for all ages. It examines themes of loss, family, growing up and sacrifice, whilst immersing the reader in a world rich in history and painful surprises.

“If you came for treasure it lies within,
if you did not, what you treasure lies beyond your grasp.”

Treasure Lost by Cordiner, R.G.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Of Witches and Warlocks is my new YA Paranormal series. It follows the tale of sixteen year old novice witch, Portia Mullins, and her powerful, 18 year old, warlock boyfriend, Vance Mangum. The two of them suddenly find themselves tangled up in disasterous events when Vance's past, which he has been running from, suddenly catches up with them. Life altering events occur as they struggle to stay hold of one another against the evil that threatens them, hoping to come out both alive and together in the end.

Of Witches and Warlocks by Lacey Weatherford
Book one: Of Witches and Warlocks: The Trouble with Spells

The Demon Kiss by Lacey Weatherford
Book two: The Demon Kiss

Book three: Blood of the White Witch (coming soon!)

Official Website: www.ofwitchesandwarlocks.com

message 24: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Brodie (pristine) | 44 comments Hi my latest YA Fiction/Romance novel In His Love by Deborah Brodie
It tells the journey of a young woman pursuing her calling, her dream, and the love of ther life. The story unfolds in the process of the story.

My first book The Path That Gets Brighter A Devotional to Instruct, Illustrate, and Encourage Kingdom Principles by Deborah Brodie
It is a contemporay version of a devotional with inspirational poems and prayers.

Both are available at all major booksellers as well as amazon, cbd.com, and at my website: http://deborahbrodie.tatepublishing.net
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) Stacey,
I've seen this at my local library. I'll check it out next time I stop in!

message 26: by Stefne (new)

Stefne Miller (StefneMiller) | 18 comments My young adult novel is Salvaged. It was released in May and currently has 92 ratings (4.49 overall) and 52 reviews on Goodreads.

The book is available everywhere and also has a Kindle version. I sell signed copies for a (few dollars less than Amazon) on my website: www.stefnemiller.com.

Back Matter:
'My body was being torn apart, and my stomach felt as if it exploded. The pain was excruciating, and I was aware that I was dying... 'Mom?' My vision was murky, but I could see her face. It was bloody, and her eyes were large and full of fear. Her voice calmed. 'Get out of the car, Attie.' Her words sounded crisp and clear. I looked into the backseat in search of Melody and found her lying covered in blood in a twisted heap on the floor. I turned my attention back to my mother and out of the corner of my eye saw fire. 'Get out, Attie!' 'Mom?' Everything went dark.' Attie Reed should have died in the wreck that stole the lives of her mother and best friend. But her life was spared. Why? When Attie moves to Oklahoma to stay with the Bennetts for the summer, she hopes she has left her nightmares behind. But her battle is far from over, and Riley Bennett steps forward to help her fight the nighttime monsters. As the battle wears on, Riley begins fighting monsters of his own: his feelings for Attie. And Attie realizes she must begin to face the monsters of the night herself if she wants to conquer them for good. Can Attie's life be Salvaged?

Salvaged by Stefne Miller

message 27: by R.C. (new)

R.C. Rutter | 36 comments Cave Of Forlorn
Greetings all,
Join Lydia and Gweneviere as they begin a journey of self-discovery. This is a fantasy novel released this month written for young adults.

Kind regards,
R.C.Rutter
www.rcrutter.com

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Reyes (Elirey) Hello, My name is Elizabeth and I've written a young adult romance that is available on kindle. Forever Mine Forever Mine (The Moreno Brothers) by Elizabeth ReyesForever Mine

The Premise:

Forever Mine is a coming of age story about seventeen year old Sarah, who's life is abruptly interrupted when her single mom is put in jail. She is forced to move out of state just as her senior year of high school is starting and all she can focus on is getting back to her own school and the best friemd she left behind in Arizona. That is, until she meets and falls for gorgeous but very intense Angel Moreno. The relationship moves so quickly that before she knows it in an intense relationship with a boy who is adament that there is "no such thing" as a male female friendship, so when Angel assumes the best friend she is so determined to get back to is a girl, Sarah lets him. But as the relationship grows more serious, she realizes she has to come clean. But can she? Especially when Angel has made his unwillingness to share her blatantly clear? Read and find out! Available on Amazon kindle for only $2.99

message 29: by Patricia (last edited Oct 12, 2010 08:53PM) (new)

Patricia Caviglia (patriciacaviglia) | 6 comments Patricia Caviglia Patricia Caviglia's Debut Novel

Masks by Patricia Caviglia
Masks

Rebecca Jacobs doesn't need vampires, werewolves or magic for her existence to be chaotic. She has overprotective abusive parents, a secret boyfriend and a best friend who tries to steal her boyfriend. How will she deal with all of this?

The necessity of honesty and mutual respect in relationships, whether it's with family or friends, is the powerful message this novella effectively delivers to adults as well as teens.

message 30: by Jeffrey (last edited Oct 13, 2010 03:24PM) (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (JeffreyRCrimmelcom) | 152 comments Ok I get it. I need to re edit Living Beneath the Radar. All my friends read it and mentioned a few edit needs but the book give away people laid it out for me. I guess I was too much in a rush to get it published and the potential 5 stars have dropped to 4 and 3 . A word to the other authors. I guess you cannot over edit. Thanks for the imput and I am starting to fix the problems and have Authorhouse redo the book. I still have many un edited books I will sell for at my cost if you can get through a few editing mistakes and still read an exciting travel adventure. Even the people who had problems with the editing still loved the book so how about that.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie Weinstein (julieannw) | 10 comments Hi Everyone,
Flashes from the Other World by Julie Ann Weinstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M9ops...

Magic without the hocus pocus, these
stories explore the ethereal blur between
reality and not, between dream and sleep,
between love and other than love. They
present relationships with a tender
wackiness. Tossed into the mix are
mischievous ghosts, who give the talking
plants and even the seductive and vocal
grains of sand a run for their money.
Quirky and offbeat, these stories will
touch your heart, although they may tug at
your funny bone first.

message 32: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 140 comments Hi Jeffery,
ref your post No.30, one thing I learned some time ago, always, always get an independant editor to give your manuscript the 'once over' befor publishing. Almost anyone with a grasp of English can proof read it, no matter how many times you go through it yourself you always miss a few typos. Editing is a different ball game and is a skill on it's own. It is not only a good idea, it is vital.
I notice you use 'author house' surely they must have some editors in house. They have a bit of a mixed reputation, but speak as you find, talk to them, they are the ones making the money out of your book[s] so it is in their interest to get it right.
I'm indie as well, I use 'authors on line' they have some good editors. Try getting it touch with 'Lynne' on the U.K pages, she has just qualified as an editor.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie John (KatieMJohn) | 24 comments Hello, I'm Katie and my debut novel, 'The Forest of Adventures' comes out on December 1st.

It is book one of a trilogy called The Knight Trilogy. You can find out more about this at http://www.theknighttrilogy.com

When Seventeen year old Mina Singer falls in love with the devestatingly handsome new boy at college, she finds herself catpulted into a fairytale realm. But fairytales aren't for children and magic can be deadly...especially in the hands of a jealous Morgan Le Fay.
Held at the heart of an ancient prophesy, Mina risks losing all of those she loves the most.
Caught between two worlds. Torn between two hearts.
The adventure begins....

The Forest of AdventuresKatie M. John

The Forest of Adventures (The Knight Trilogy) by Katie M JohnKatie M. John

message 34: by David (new)

David Michael | 2 comments The Girl Who Ran With Horses by David Michael

It's summer vacation and all 13-year-old Stevie Buckbee wants is to be close to her family again and to ride her horses--especially Jack Rabbit, her first horse all her own. But past tragedies threaten her plans before the summer has a chance to begin. Even as she discovers that she is somehow able to communicate with Jack Rabbit and the other horses on the family ranch, she finds she can no longer get through to her Dad and brother Blake. And what good is it to be able to run with the horses if no matter how fast and how far she runs, everything she knows and loves is lost?

The Girl Who Ran With Horses

-David
David Michael

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Revamped the home page of my website to accommodate upcoming books and added links to excerpts - including the entire 1st chapter of Allon Book 3 -HEIR APPARENT due out April 2011

http://www.allonbooks.com

message 36: by Linda (new)

Linda Ash | 5 comments Hi! I'm Linda Ash and I'm both an author and an avid reader of YA fiction. I'm a bit new to Goodreads and I've been having fun finding my favorite authors and adding them to my "Favorite Authors" list!

I've already got tons of new ideas for books that have gone into my TBR list. This is a great place!

My two YA titles are My Twelfth Christmas and Rose of Par Kluhnd: A Fairy Tale.

Now I'm off to explore more of the group...

message 37: by Delyse (new)

Delyse Trink | 34 comments Do you like to decipher clues? Join the adventure as four friends try to solve the mystery of the majestic dragon statue with eyes that glow like precious rubies. Will they be able to complete their quest before danger manifests and ends it all for them?
The Crimson-Eyed Dragon is now $1.99 on Kindle and is also available in paperback.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Crimson-Eye...

message 38: by O. (last edited Jan 30, 2011 04:54PM) (new)

O. (Owarfield) | 49 comments "Omar Blue and K-9 Town, USA" is the name of my YAF. Its about Mighty Doberman Omar Blue and his pack of fierce canines and how they form K-9 Town, USA. With predators always lurking they survive by their fearlessness, love for each other and love for their growing town.

Between the canine male and female Elders, and the naughty puppies, there is no end to the adventure. Omar Blue's Pack is like no other. Omar's awareness and somewhat mystical behavior draws an affection and respect from his pack that no other canine leader has known.

The chapters are funny, but with a serious note, as these animals live in the dangerous wilds and face predators almost on a daily basis. They are always ready for any challenge, but Omar’s wit is what generally prevails.

Mine is a quick, unique read of about 116 pages and my story is told in rhymes. I've put a few chapters on Goodreads and I have a very lively blog that I wish all would visit. The name of it is "My Dog Leads Two Lives."
http://www.omarblue.blogspot.com. Omar Blue and K-9 Town, USA is also available on Amazon.com.

message 39: by Astrid (new)

Astrid Fitzgerald (goldenmean) Winter Break: A Luminous Journey into Wisdom and Love

Hello, I'm the author of WINTER BREAK: A LUMINOUS JOURNEY INTO WISDOM AND LOVE - a first novel for YA and their moms.

I wrote this book in response to fundamental needs in a culture that increasingly tends toward tasteless and mindless pursuits. Many young people seem to be lost in a world of materialism, lacking in guidance and ideals. The novel addresses an audience seeking more than entertainment – for those of any age who long to explore the deeper questions of existence and the true nature of what it truly means to be a human being.

Winter Break is a tale of first love, mystical encounters, surprising adventures and challenges for readers of every age. The teaching that Luma – a master teacher of great wisdom – imparts to Caroline goes beyond most spiritual self-help books in that it reveals both the secrets and practical tools to a self reliant, useful and happy life and does so in an entertaining, captivating and non-doctrinal way.

From the Back Cover
"Winter Break, on one level, is a classic coming-of-age story. The heroine undergoes a series of trials which form her character. But Fitzgerald sets the bar higher, moving from the ethical to the metaphysical. Her novel investigates a much-neglected facet of adolescence - an appetite for the spiritual and an openness to it. Fast-paced, suspenseful and inspiring, Winter Break is the perfect mix of entertainment and instruction." - Ann Arensberg, author of Incubus and Sister Wolf

message 40: by Astrid (new)

Astrid Fitzgerald (goldenmean) Winter Break: A Luminous Journey into Wisdom and Love

I'd like to share an excerpt from WINTER BREAK and would love to get feedback --

“Why do we forget?” Caroline asked
“It is a very long story . . . ” Luma fastened the shawl that had taken flight. “ . . . an eternal story inherent in matter. Forgetting, my dear child, is caused by the play of the forces of Maya – the eternal illusion. The forces of Maya ceaselessly combine and re-combine,” Luma said in a kind of chant, sweeping her arms through space, “ . . . vibrating as light and sound . . . forming waves and patterns of ringlets and spirals . . . giving endless births and unceasing sustenance to the visible and invisible universes.”
Caroline’s mouth fell open seeing Luma’s words take shape, and was still open as she watched the last of the vibrating clouds of light and undulating waves float through the hut and the ringlets and spirals and crystalline shapes go pop and disappear into thin air. Luma had to be a magician after all. She didn’t dare ask how she’d done it, seeing Luma was looking a little wobbly and had her eyes closed, concentrating very hard.
Luma, finally opened her eyes, smiled, and went on. “When human beings look about them at the visible world, they take it to be the only reality, and live as if matter were the only thing to be regarded.” She slung her shawl over her shoulder. “But the story doesn’t end there. Human beings, believing themselves to be independent of Universal Spirit, grow arrogant and, over time, deny Spirit altogether. Hence, they live from a small, constricted self, in a very small, constricted world of their own making. In this constricted state, they do not, cannot, know who they are. And having forgotten their true nature, their source and dependence on the One, they become despondent, fearing life and fearing death.”
Caroline was still trying to grasp what she’d heard, when Luma went on. “You have asked the big question, my child,” she chuckled, “and there is much more to the human story than can be told in this brief time together. But, as you do your own work – awakening to reality, and remembering who you are – you will, in due time, be able to answer your own questions.”
Caroline wondered how long ago she’d forgotten.
“When a baby is born,” Luma went on, “it has no sense of a separate existence, but feels itself at one with the universe. Later on, through contact with the physical world, the child loses the ability to commune with the imperceptible world. Soon thereafter, the child acquires the sense of me and mine, which is encoded in language and social conditioning.”
Caroline questioned whether she’d ever grasp the meaning of any of it.
“As the child loses the experience of unity, it feels itself to be separate, which brings on the pursuit of identity. Henceforth, the child believes itself to be the sensations, the feelings and the body. Later on in life, as the being falls deeper into forgetting, it identifies itself with its mind, its intelligence, its constitution, its profession and possessions. And there is no end to this drama of forgetfulness.”
Caroline always believed she was her body. Didn’t everyone? “Does this . . . this drama happen to everyone?” she said, hesitantly.
“Yes, my child. It is in the nature of things. Human beings, unlike other creatures, have been granted many glorious attributes – reason, self-awareness, intellect, intuition and discrimination – which, by universal intent, are the self-same instruments necessary to awaken from forgetfulness, and removing the veils of illusion, thereby finding the way back to unity.”
“Veils of illusion?” Caroline burst out.
“The veils of illusion, also known as vestments or coverings, are the effects of false beliefs and mistaken identification with the body and the faculties of mind. Divesting oneself of the veils of illusion is difficult, and achieved by only a few in a million through sincere aspiration, grace and strength of character.”
While Luma paused, Caroline tried to grasp what had sounded rather strange – unlike anything she’d ever heard. What was she to do with all this, and why on earth was she telling all this to her.
“You desired to know what is real.” Luma said.
Caroline was getting used to the fact that Luma was able to read her mind.
Luma smiled, which made the light around her even brighter. “The only way to know what is real is to remove that which is unreal – the mistaken beliefs and the claims on identity we spoke of earlier. When, in due time, ignorance retreats, just as the night at dawn, human beings experience that which is real. They are given glimpses of the essence of their true being, lifting them up into a higher order, where they enjoy happiness, knowledge and bliss.” . . .

message 41: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 8 comments The Scientific Method: a Wandering Koala tale

I wrote this book for the lovers of books like Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew that had gotten a little older and wanted something a little bit older and more sophisticated. It's also an excellent illustration of how science is manipulated by greed and politics and can't always be trusted.

Brent Jakes has discovered the Unified Field Theory, the Holy Grail of Physics! It will provide unlimited energy, new medical breakthroughs, and other advances only dreamed of before. There’s just one on catch: it’ll cost three men their careers, and they've vowed to do whatever it takes to prevent it. Only the intervention of a silent wanderer can stop them...

The Scientific Method is available in paperback and all eBook formats from most popular resellers. Read a sample at http://www.WanderingKoala.com/book01.php

message 42: by Astrid (new)

Astrid Fitzgerald (goldenmean) Vincent wrote: "I have three categories for my book, so I'll leave a post here.

Title: Constellation Chronicles The Lost Civilization of Aries
[bookcover:Constellation Chronicles The Lost Civili..."

I very much enjoyed reading the first chapter of Constellation Chronicles on amazon and it's on my list of books for my granchild who loves science fiction, adventure and mysteries. Your website is fabulous - full of mystery fitting the novel. As a writer of three published books I've never had a specific website for any of the titles. Do you think it's important for promotion?

message 43: by Chris (last edited Feb 08, 2011 06:39AM) (new)

Chris Patton (ChrisPattonAuthor) | 1 comments Hey!
Stoked to see there's a section for those of us who write in the YA category.

You can check out my book Scene Immortal if you'd like, or just say "hey!"

-Chris Patton
SCENE IMMORTAL

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dalton (sarahdalton) | 26 comments Hey Guys!

Check out my YA superhero novelette The Strange Case of Miss Strong and Hamster Girl

Available for kindle! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-Stron...

message 45: by Beth (last edited Mar 29, 2011 08:22PM) (new)

Beth (bethelisaharris) | 20 comments Hi everyone! Check out my new novel Vision, now available on Barnes & Noble for NOOK http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.c... and Smashwords. Visit my author blog here http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... for a pre-release promo code to use on Smashwords. Look for wide release hard copy on Amazon in April. See the book trailer on my blogs or YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ik12c....
Vision

message 46: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Clemmons (Caroline_Clemmons) | 27 comments Check out BLOOD LINE by Kate Hamilton on Amazon. Cute book for YA or adults for Kindle.

message 47: by Astrid (new)

This novel for young adults and adults is a winner of the prestigious Mom's Choice Award, and Finalist in Foreword Magazine’s Book of the Year competition and an Amazon Breakthrough Novel Quarterfinals Award

Deep in the snows of the Swiss Alps during her winter break, young Caroline Stillhart enters a mysterious world in which a master teacher, a woman of wisdom and insight, reveals to her the true nature of human being and the universe. Caroline experiences an awakening of heart, mind and consciousness as she meets the love of her life and with new-found understanding encounters a series of challenges and surprising adventures. Winter Break is a fast-paced novel that also provides thoughtful and reflective guidance for a self-reliant, useful and happy life.

message 48: by X. (new)

X. Williamson (XWilliamson) | 4 comments Hi everyone!
Distract my hunger by X. Williamson
Distract my hunger is a new vampire novel in the YA genre. It also fits into the urban fantasy and paranormal romance genres. It is pretty short, but it's the first book in a series I'm working on (book two is on its way!).

From the back cover:

Sometimes who we are is deeply hidden within our genes...
A spellbinding story about discovering one's own nature, and how it can be completely different from what you expected. Can our essence have more to it than simple, plain humanity? Do we really know who we are deep down to the core?
Iris is a regular teen; she loves parties and wants to fall in love but something dark and unexpected lurks within her veins... She discovers she was born a vampire and is just waking up to her true self.
Life's complexity, well kept secrets and a thrilling twist in Iris's seek for her true nature.

If you thought you knew everything about vampires, you are up for a surprise... Nothing you ever believed about them will ever stay the same...

message 49: by Christa (new)

Christa | 67 comments Hi Astrid,
This sounds like a fascinating book to me, not just because of its theme but because it takes place in the Swiss Alps. I'm originally from Switzerland and this book is on my to be read list. I'm not actually a young adult (LOL), but I enjoy reading YA novels. My own novel "Love of a Stonemason" takes place, in part, in the south of Switzerland, in case you want to drop by and check it out.
Good luck with your book!
Christa

Astrid wrote: "Winter Break: A Luminous Journey into Wisdom and Love

This novel for young adults and adults is a winner of the prestigious Mom's Choice Award, and Finalist in Foreword Magazine’s..."

message 50: by Astrid (new)

Astrid Fitzgerald (goldenmean) Hi Christa,
I'm writing on a miniscule notebook and I just managed to erase my reply. Here we go again: I find it interesting how one has to reach back to one's roots when writing a novel. After all, it is true experiences woven into a fictional story that capture readers attention. The Swiss way of life is unique and I can't imagine writing from any other point of view.
If you have a taste for the mystical, you will love this story. In fact more adults are reading it than teens. On the other hand, a friend's 12-year-old girl has read WINTER BREAK twice and has been beseeching her mother to read it.
Mom's Choice Award decided to put WINTER BREAK in General Fiction where older YA would find it.
I will certainly look for your book and wish you good luck with it.
If you'd like a signed copy you can get it here:

http://www.astridfitzgerald.com/Books...

or order it from amazon or b&n.

Please tell me more about your book!

Ciao, Astrid

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Two Moon Princess (other topics)
Constellation Chronicles: The Lost Civilization of Aries (other topics)
Torn (other topics)
Willing Sacrifice (other topics)
Vassal of El (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gloria Oliver (other topics)
K.D. Brogdon (other topics)
Patricia Caviglia (other topics)
Katie M. John (other topics)
David Michael (other topics)
More...