Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Really funny cozy mysteries

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harvee (last edited Nov 19, 2009 12:14PM) (new)

Harvee (HarveeLau) | 6 comments Murder With Peacocks by Donna Andrews is one of the funniest mysteries I've read. It won the 2000 Lefty Award for most humorous mystery.

More LEFTY award winners: http://bookbirddog.blogspot.com/2009/...

Susan (sumagoo) | 136 comments I love reading Maddy Hunter. Her books are very funny and just enjoy them.

message 3: by Heather L (last edited Nov 24, 2009 08:09PM) (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 2786 comments I have not read any of the books you listed, but have just finished one that had me laughing out loud over a couple different scenes: Stuck on Murder by Lucy Lawrence. Definitely an author I'll read again!

Beth | 588 comments Along with Donna Andrews funny mysteries, I enjoy Tim Cockey's undertaker series for humor.

Denise | 758 comments I think that Parnell Hall's Puzzle Lady mysteries with Cora Felton as protagonist are a hoot. I also like the Stanley Hastings mysteries by Hall and they are sort of funny but not like "The Puzzle Lady".

Mary Daheim's Bed & Breakfast Mysteries with Judith Flynn and cousin Rennie are light and somewhat funny.

It has been a long time since I have read
Selma Eichler's Desiree Shapiro series. Desiree is an overweight PI and if you like overweight digs all the time you can try these. (As a "queen size woman" it got kind of old--although I read 13 of them.)

Of course almost everyone knows Janet Evanovich and the Stephanie Plum series.

Joan Hess's Arly Hanks series is on the funny side.

Many find Tamar Myers series with Magdalena Yoder a Pennsylvania Dutch Amish Innkeeper series humorous. I have only read one and didn't really like the series but I may go back and try it again sometime. Although not funny, I much prefer Myers' Den of Antiquity series with protagonist Abigail Timberlake.

message 6: by Harvee (last edited Nov 25, 2009 06:13AM) (new)

Harvee (HarveeLau) | 6 comments The Den of Antiquity series by Tamar Myers is very funny, especially the first ones in the series.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5519 comments Beth wrote: "Along with Donna Andrews funny mysteries, I enjoy Tim Cockey's undertaker series for humor."

I really liked Cockey's Hitchcock Sewell books, too. Maybe he'll write another one someday.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5519 comments Laura Levine's Jaine Austen series is funny. Sometimes a little too much so, but if you're looking for something like that they definitely fit the bill. While not cozies, Robert B. Parker's Spenser books are quite entertaining. Spenser always has a smart ass remark and the exchanges between him & Hawk are quite funny usually.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5519 comments Denise, I've read some of Selma Eichler's books. I think I read at least 7 of them or so, and the overweight stuff wore thin real fast. I've also read quite a few of the Magdalena Yoder books and they've grown tiresome, too. I got tired of Magdalena's wailing and carrying on.

Denise | 758 comments Melodie wrote: "Denise, I've read some of Selma Eichler's books. I think I read at least 7 of them or so, and the overweight stuff wore thin real fast. I've also read quite a few of the Magdalena Yoder books and they've grown tiresome, too. I got tired of Magdalena's wailing and carrying on."

I only made it through one of the Magdalena Yoder books and didn't go back. There are so many really good old series and new ones coming out all the time that when you read one and it is so-so it is hard to get up the enthusiasm to go back for more.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stuck on Murder (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Daheim (other topics)
Joan Hess (other topics)
Tamar Myers (other topics)
Parnell Hall (other topics)
Selma Eichler (other topics)
More...