The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC group quizzes > quick questionaire

Comments (showing 1-50 of 114) (114 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8422 comments Mod
I was sitting here thinking. (yeah, I do that sometimes!)... Who my favorite character in a novel is, which antagonist I most despised, so I thought I would create another cheesy survey. Feel free to share with us....

1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest?

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!)

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in?

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened?

6- Which book are you most glad to have read?

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money?

8- Which book scared you the most?

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about.

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at.

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I guess I'll start it off :)

I really liked Odd Thomas (of Dean Koontz three book series) and I also really liked Dexter Morgan (of Jeff Lindsays three novel series).

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? Couplehood by Paul Rieser (the main character from Mad About You with Helen Hunt.. the tv show, remember?) That book was so true to what relationships are like. You couldnt help but relate, and crack up!

The Gift by Richard Paul Evans, and/or For One More Day by Mitch Albom. I dont usually get teary eye by a book, but these were a little high on the emotional scale for me.

This is a tie, I think. I really disliked the little boys father in The Gift (He was trying to expolit his sons gift, and put his sons life in jepordy without a second thought) and I also disliked the little boys father/ghost in The Dead Fathers Club (he was using his son to get revenge for his death without caring how it made his son feel). I really hate self serving fathers....

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened?
VALIS did this to me throughout most of the novel. It was whacked to say the least!

Blindness by Jose Saramago and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? Catch 22. Tryed three times to read it, never got past page 40-ish. And I see it everyday sitting on my bookshelf, and I think to myself..what a waster of money...ugh!

The Ruins didnt scare me perse, but it creeped me the hell out. I read it ages ago and can still recall everything... I totally want to see the movie but I am really really afraid it will scar me for life.

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about.
I am currently reading Then We Came To The End, it was in the 10 Best of 07 list.. and Im not really getting why. Its just, uhhhh... ok.

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at.
The Coma by Alex Garland. Twisted novel. Sometimes you are just as confused as the main character. Its a great read.

Tana Lacy 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? Becky Bloomwood from Shopaholic and series by Sophie Kinsella. Sad to say that I relate to her! She's hilarious.

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? Baptists at the Barbeque by Robert Farrell Smith

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) The Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. Wonderfully emotional

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? Javert in Les Miserables

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? The Time Traveler's Wife. I still think about that book.

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? The Great Divorce by CS Lewis

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? The Good Earth. I will never get that 7 bucks back!

8- Which book scared you the most? The Innocent Man by John Grisham. Very realistic.

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. Twilight. It got better but it hyped up too much for what it delivered.

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Jen | 282 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?
Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird - hands down. He is what we should all strive to be.

Dress Your Family in Corduroys and Denim by David Sedaris. My FAVORITE story in the book is "6 to 8 Black Men." If you haven't heard it, it is the funniest thing I've ever heard. They do have a version of it on the internet that David Sedaris read live. Link is below. It's absolutely brilliant and will have you on the floor.
http://odeo.com/audio/4475683/view

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) I think this one would be Kite Runner. I could still muster tears today over those characters.

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? Percy from Green Mile - What I wouldn't give to kick that guy in the teeth.

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? The Double Bind - Huh?

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? I think this has to be To Kill a Mockingbird.

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? The Pilot's Wife - I read it years ago and just thought, so what? It sounded like an interesting plot but I could have cared less about those characters.

8- Which book scared you the most? I'm not sure on this one.
Germs - I didn't even read it, my husband did, but he talked about it the whole time. It's a book about biological warfare - enough said.

Angels and Demons

A Pigeon and a Boy by Meir Shalev. I just recently finished it and it was a wonderful book. It's recently been translated into English from Hebrew and just hasn't gotten big in the US yet.

Charity (bigbookslut) | 1848 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? Probably Josephine March in Little Women. I always wanted to be her.

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Hilarious. Especially the part where he is making his class watch soap operas and write essays on what they think might happen next.

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) The most recent was probably Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. There are a lot of sad and touching moments in that book.

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? I really hated Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. That woman infuriated me. However, I just couldn't stop reading. I had to find out what she would do next.

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? Probably Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. That one's a thinker.

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? Oh, there are so many. I would have to choose The World According to Garp by John Irving though because it was better than I thought it could be. I never wanted to put it down.

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? Definitely The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

8- Which book scared you the most? I found the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (series) by Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell that I read when I was a child pretty terrifying. I haven't read them since. I'd still probably be creeped out.

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. Again...The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I just don't get the love affair with this book.

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. There are so many. I'll just narrow it down to two. Joe College by Tom Perrotta and Need by Lawrence David. Good stuff.

Chloe (lolosrun) | 1135 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?
-This changes all the time, but I think one of my most consistently respected and favorite characters is that of crotchety old Jubal Harshaw in Stranger in a Strange Land. Dispensing bits of wisdom while surrounded by a bevy of intelligent, amazonian secretaries? Yeah, he's my role model.

-That has to be Lamb by Christopher Moore.

-It has to be a tie. The first book I remember crying over was Sir Thomas Mallory's collection in 4th grade, which still stands out as a very galvanizing experience for me. Next, and more likely to take home the prize, would be Mark Twain's Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. Something about her story has always touched me, and Twain's mastery of the language served it up in a superb manner.

-Probably one of Ayn Rand's antagonists, like Wesley Mouch from Atlas Shrugged or Ellsworth Toohey from The Fountainhead. Say what you want about Rand's Objectivist philosophy, but she certainly knew how to frame her characters in such a way that the reader can not help but feel inarticulate rage at the stifling of her Protagonist's genius at the hands of these weasely characters.

-Catch-22. Easily a book I read at too young of an age to understand, let alone appreciate. At the time I read it, I remember just scratching my head and thinking "why did it take him 300 pages to tell me that" before moving on to the next book. With the added experience that living brings, I think I would like to re-read this book and see what all the fuss is about.

-Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein, Island by Aldous Huxley, The Road by Jack Kerouac, Culture of Make Believe by Derrick Jensen, and so so so many more.

-Recently? The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I picked it up used for $7 and I want every penny of that money back.

-House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. This book seeped into my subconscious and had me jumping at every random creak in the old house I was living in at the time and frustratingly trying to figure out if the story were true or not (there was a lot of ambiguity in the way it made its way into my life). I haven't re-read it yet simply because I am not yet ready to plunge my head into that state again.

-The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Four years after the fuss has begun to die down and I'm still wondering why people were so into that book.

For sci-fi lovers, Norman Spinrad is frighteningly ignored. His best work, by far, is Child of Fortune, which should be required reading for everyone. Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is one of the most touching books I've ever read. Ooooo... my current read- The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. I am so overjoyed that this was finally translated into English, because Bolano is an author easily on the same level as Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Octavio Paz or Isabel Allende, yet who is virtually unknown outside of the Spanish-speaking world.

Christopher (cmkeel) | 1 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?

Bordon Chantry in Bordon Chantry by Louis L'Amour

Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

Can't remember crying over a book yet. Seriously.

Abigail Williams in The Crucible by Arthur Miller

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

The Metamorphosis by Kafka (creeped me out!)

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Violent Bear it Away by Flannery O'Connor and The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain

Stacie 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?

Dean in On the Road by Kerouac

Tie between Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne and The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

It is a tie between Lonesome Dove by McMurtry and Power of One by Bryce Courtney

Richard in The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing

Faulkner can do that to me sometimes.

Lonesome Dove by McMurty...it was such a surprise because I really didn't think I would like it and it has ended up in my top 10 best books

Peace like a River by Leif Enger

Helter Skelter by Bugliosi

Geek Love by K. Dunn

Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway

Jessica Vogtman (jessica_vogtman) | 9 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? Daphne, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

hmmm... have to think for a little while on that one
3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) Totally honest... there's a tie betwenn Old Yeller and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? Trujillo in the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Strange ending - did the twins really commit incest?
Pride and Prejudice
7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? Genetics: A molecular Approach (Hated the professor in college)

Christine by Stephen King
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Good, but not the best piece of lit I've ever read.
Saving the World by Julia Alvarez

Kathy McC 1- Favorite character
Rhett Butler Gone With The Wind and Rhett Butler's People

2- Made me Laugh
Daisy Far and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg

3- Made Me Cry
There are several from my youth but Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows were the worst. Most recently, The Kite Runner and For one More Day

4- Antagonist
All the mean, cool kids in Nineteen Minutes

5- Scratching my head
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian

6- Most Glad
There are hundreds as most books make me glad. Most recently, The Lottery by Patricia Wood and Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin

7- Scared me
The Prince of Tides

8- Waste of time & money
A New Earth by Tolle

9- Too much hype
March by Geraldine Brooks

10- Take a peek at
Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin

Celeste (CelesteLueck) | 91 comments 1. Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? Mulch Diggums from Artemis Fowl. Mulch is a very gassy dwarf. Funny.

2. Which book made you laugh the loudest: Just Wait Until You Have Children of Your Own by Erma Bombeck. I remember my mother laughing so loud she woke everyone up on the hotel room on vacation on year, so after I had children I bought it and boy does she have it pegged. If you are a parent pick it up.

3. Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys don't be shy)Has to be Gone With the Wind.

4. Which Antagonist pisses you off the most and what novel were they in? That honor goes to Professor Umbridge. Could anyone be more evil, yet so rightous.

5. Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happen? Snow in August. I knew what had happened I just wondered why Peter Hamil hadn't finished his novel befor publishing it.

6. Which novel are you most glad you have read? I'll have to name two here: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zabon. Great literature.

7. Which book do you think was the greatest waste of your money? The latest one I have felt that way about was: The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright.

8. Which book scared you the most: Either Kiss the Girls by James Patterson or The Shining by Stephen King

9. List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about? Case Histories by kate Atkinson. I just found it depressing.

10. List a novel that others may not have heard of , but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. Here, too, I'll have to list two: Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Glen-this book,set in San Fransico mainly, is about magicians in the 1920's. It's a mystery, and a very good read.

The other book is: Chasing the Devil's Tail by David Fulmer. Set in New Orleans' redlight district at the turn of the twentith century. It's a sort of Jack the Ripper tale.

Both of these are very historically correct

Sarah (_queserasarah) Oh dear me -- I can never resist a good questionnaire!

1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?Mick Kelly from The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? I recall a lot of moments from the Harry Potter series making me burst out laughing.

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) Definitely Where The Red Fern Grows. Who didn't cry for that book?! ;P

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? Ugh, I agree with an earlier post -- Doloris Umbrigde drove me NUTS! OR Iago from Shakespeare's Othello -- what a poo-face!

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened?Atonement -- mostly because I was picturing one ending and got something completely different.

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? Les Miserables. It was the 1 of only 2 "required reading" books I really liked from school.

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? The Lovely Bones. And I got it cheap because I work(ed) at a bookstore.

8- Which book scared you the most?Lord of the Flies

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. The Da Vinci Code. I thought it was terrible!

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. It's not a novel, really, but The Night in Question which is a collection of short stories by Tobias Wolff. AMAZING. If anything, just read "Bullet in the Brain" -- it's perfect.

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Apr 19, 2008 10:11AM) (new)

Nicole 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? This is very tough for me because I like a lot of characters but want to pick one I really relate to...but I don't really directly identify with any one character. I will have to say, Holden Caulfield is one of my favorite characters of all time. And do I really need to name the book? lol

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? Probably Bridget Jones's Diary or anything by Laurie Notaro

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? I cry a lot when I read books. Probably Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? Hmmm. I can't really think this one through. I shall sit this one out

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? Most things by Henry James because I often feel nothing happened

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? Anna Karenina. I don't know if I would have the stamina and mental energy for it now, but it was the book I was reading during my junior year in high school at the time I decided I wanted to be a teacher.

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? Funny enough- I loved The Lovely Bones but thought Almost Moon was the most wretched book I ever read voluntarily.

8- Which book scared you the most? Crime and Punishment because I was starting to think like Raskalnikoff (sp?).

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I couldn't force myself to finish it.

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. I would have to say The Song Reader by Lisa Tucker, not because I think people haven't heard of her, but because some might have dismissed it as merely chick lit when it is actually quite deep. At least for me it was.

Chloe (lolosrun) | 1135 comments Nicole, I completely agree with you. A Heartbreaking Work... has to be one of my least favorite reads of the past few years. I just don't understand how so many people who's opinions I respect could have gone absolutely ga-ga over it.

Jessalina 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? Well I have many favorite characters... ok lets see *searches though books* Ok There's Torina from The Seer and the Sword; there's Arianna and Luciano/Lucien from the Stravaganza Series; There's Damia... from well Damia; And Morwen from the Enchanted Forest Chronicles

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? Rather one of the Maximum Ride books or the Enchanted Forest Chronicles

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? A Child Called It, Chinese Cinderella and The Second Summer of the Sisterhood

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? I really can't think of one right now.

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? For All Time, at the end of the book it had taken me a moment to actually realize what had happened.

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? Currently it's Beastly

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? Sirena because it really wasn't all that great

8- Which book scared you the most? I don't think I've ever read one that scared me...

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. None because I never read a book because of it's reviews.

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. The Stravaganza Series by Mary Hoffman because even if they are for kids they're still great!

Pooch | 44 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?
Joan Anderson in her memoir A Year By The Sea

Long Time No See by Susan Isaacs

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The British Aristocracy in The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown

Ciao America by Beppe Severgnini

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

The Deadly Game by Catherine Crier

Prague: A Novel by Arthur Phillips

Swan Place by Augusta Trobaugh

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 618 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?

don't really have a favourite character, but at the moment I like Orchid from Empress Orchid by Anchee Min

Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes

I haven't read many books that have made me cry, but my most recent was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

can't think of anyone at the moment...

I haven't read anything 'deep' enough yet, but I'm sure I will have this at some point!

The Book Thief - it made me really appreciate what I have, and the country that I live in

The Thomas Berryman Number by James Patterson

I'm not a big fan of scary books - it sends my imagination into overdrive... I recently read The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert, which was pretty freaky...

Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris... it was OK, but definitely didn't live up to the hype

The Butterfly House by Marcia Preston

Kathy McC Nicole- I would agree with you on Almost Moon. This book was so bad I forgot about reading it or it definitely would have made this questionaire.

liz (mancini) | 8 comments 1. Valentino Deng- What is the What- I don't know if he counts, since he is a real person, but what this man goes through not only in Sudan but once he gets to America, is heartwrenching, yet through it all he remains optimistic and hopeful
2. Anything by David Sedaris, Santaland Diaries is required reading for the holidays
3. Where the Red Fern Grows- I can break into hysterics just thinking about those two dogs
4. Rasheed in A Thousand Splendid Suns
5. White Noise by Don Delillo
6. What I have read by recent African and South Asian writers, gives insight into groups too long overlooked by the West
7.See number 5
8. Cujo or It- I occassionally get a little nervous walking by sewer openings
9. Again, see number 5
10. The Darling,R.Banks

Zunpip (☼Zoeee☼) i am just going to post number 2. all the maximun ride books had me laughing out loud.i unwisely brought it on an air plane and i broke out laughing. people probley thought i was crazy.

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? - Jamie Frasier in Gabaldon's Outlander series

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? - Kinsella's Shopaholic series

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) - I cry at a lot of books...happy tears a lot of the time...I'm very sentimental...but of hand I'd say The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? Jonathan Randall in the Outlander series

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? - two come to mind The Sister by Poppy Montgomery, and Setting Free the Bears by John Irving

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? - The Outlander series...all of them were fantastic

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? - I work in a library so I don't buy a lot of books anymore...but the book I wish I had never bothered reading would be Lord of the Flies

8- Which book scared you the most? - I don't really get scared by books...I don't read scary stuff really but I guess if I had to pick one The Historian by Kostova

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. - Definitely The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards...it was ok it just wasn't all that

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. - I'll suggest an author here...Pamela Duncan (Moon Women, Plant Life, and The Big Beautiful) the books were wonderful and she is really cool...she came to a book festival for the library system I work for.

Katie (HockeyGoddess) | 257 comments Liz -- I have that same fear of sewer drains because of It!!! And I'm also pretty wary of clowns now too:0 *L*

message 23: by (G)Emma (last edited May 14, 2008 11:09AM) (new)

(G)Emma  (litlover) | 2398 comments 1. ooooo tie! Gemma Doyle in The Gemma Doyle Trilogy and Stargirl from Stargirl
2. Honestly can't think of anything
3. The Sweet Far Thing, god I love that book!
4. Can't think of anything. Darn it I should know this!
5.Can't think of anything, again
6. The Gemma Doyle Trilogy, by far.
7. Twilight (technically I didn't buy it, it was a gift but still a waste!)
8. Can't think of anything
9. Twilight! Omg, so completely not worth it.
10. If you ever want to check out Children's re-working of fairy tales, go to Frog Princess, it's quite good.

message 24: by Sherry (last edited May 15, 2008 10:01AM) (new)

Sherry | 1192 comments -Favorite character-Cynthia, I'm with you
Jamie Frasier from the Outlander series.
-Books that made me laugh the loudest
Any from the Stephanie Plum series
-Which novel made you cry the hardest
Flowers for Algernon
-Which character pissed you off the most
Don John from Shakespeare's Much Ado About
Nothing.Nasty baggage!
-Which novel had you scratching your head
Right now it would have to be Snow.I can't
understand why he's so blissed out on his poetry
while so much is going on.
-Which book are you glad to have read
Anne of Green Gables.I had so much in common
with her and because of circumstances at that
time in my life reading about how she managed
helped me come to terms as well.it was when I first realized that books could provide more
than just entertainment.
-Which book was the biggest waste of money
A book from Janet Evanovitch,which I thought would be like her Stephanie Plum novels but was in fact a very cheesy romance novel.I was unable to get past the first chapter.it was horrible.
-Which book scared you the most
Christine by Stephen King.I don't know why but
for a while seeing parked cars on the street at
night was a little freaky.I kept waiting for
them to start up oh their own.Silly but true!
-List a novel you read because of all the great
reviews...
That's a toss up between Carol Shield's Stone
Diaries and Love in the Time of Cholera
Stone Diaries was damn depressing and I didn't
find Love in the Time of Cholera Oh so romantic
The man boinked himself through a rather sizable
population of woman one of which was his young
teen-aged ward.How is that romantic?
-List a novel that others may not of heard of...
The Music of Razors comes to mind.I don't know
how well known it was but I really enjoyed it.
The title first grabbed me then having read the
first couple of pages I was hooked.It was a
strange and beautiful book and I wasn't
disappointed.

Sherry | 1192 comments Oh my God! My post just seems to go on and on...
So sorry!

Connie | 181 comments Lori: I saw that you were reading Then We Came to the End b/c of the hype. Did you ever finish it or did you move on to bigger and better things? I didn't get the humor in it at all. I mean it wasn't laugh out loud funny like the reviews said it would be. I really thought I would like it more coming from a semi-agency environment myself. There seemed to just be way too many characters and no one I could really relate to at all. And what was the deal with the whole sub-story with their boss? Ugh. I just didn't get it.

message 27: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Connie, I forced myself through it. I was just ok for me. I didnt get all the characters and bland personalities either. It was as if the author took a normal person, and removed each of thier quirks or traits and turned each one into a character. If you mushed them all together, they were one whole person. Didnt get the hype. Wasnt at all breakthrough or funny.... oh well.

Michelle (mcd724) | 118 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?
Hermione Granger from HP series at the moment as I am feeling a bit sad about the lack of new book to look forward to this summer...

Anything by Chuck Klosterman

I am sap, so alot do...but at the moment...Love is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, one song at time by ROb Sheffield

While not true antagonists, pretty much any of the main characters in Jodi Piccoult's books where there is no resolution or closure for holding up my end of the bargain...i.e. finishing the book...

Fury by Salman Rushdie (although most of works has that effect on me...)

Pride & Prejudice...it is like an old friend at this point...

The Poisonwood Bible...I have tried and tried and tried and tried to get through it and I can't...

The Dark Half by Stephen King...It was the first of his books that I ever read (and I did so after my parents told me I wasn't allowed to read him...) Even after all these years that image of the leftover twin still makes my skin crawl...

The Life of Pi...I finished it, but I am still not sure why...

Be True to Your School by Bob Green...Really a diary more than a novel...but still resonates even after all this time...

Chloe (lolosrun) | 1135 comments Michelle, I loved Rob Sheffield's book. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it as well. Such a tender story of love and loss and the healing power of music. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Julianne | 311 comments FYI-most of these will be based on books I've read fairly recently

1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? Hmmm...perhaps the protagonist in the Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, Susie

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? The entire Stephanie Plum series

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? Both antagonists (the bishop and the nobleman) in Pillars of the Earth. And we stayed with them for 900 pages!

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? Has to be Life of Pi. I can't wait for someone I know to finish this book so I can discuss

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? Hmmm...The Tipping Point, I suppose

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? Definitely The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

8- Which book scared you the most? Recently, it was Cell, by Stephen King. Growing up, it was by far the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series--the pictures were horrifying in that book!

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. Love in the Time of Cholera. I'm not done yet (actually, I've put it down at least 3 times), but it's not holding my interest at all!

Relating to medical ethics: The Lazarus Case, by John Lantos (not an easy read, but worth it).

Non-fiction: The Sea Hunters by Clive Cussler (2 books). It has historical anectdotes about sunken ships, then he dives to find them. Cool beans! (And I'm not that big a fan of his fiction work)

Educational Theory: The Evolving Self by Robert Kegan. Awesome!!!

Julianne | 311 comments Charity-

Ha ha! We have the same scariest book! I didn't even read your post yet. I would hide the books under my parents' bed so the characters wouldn't come and get me!!

Jeremy | 817 comments Julianne - I just read The Tipping Point and it was amazing to me. The best piece of non-fiction I have ever read. I am going to read Blink pretty soon.

Jeremy | 817 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?

Tough question, but that would have to be Homer Wells from Cider House Rules.

Not many books get me laughing, but I usually get some chuckles out of Irving. Probably the most out of Prayer for Owen Meany.

Even though I cry during a fair amount of movies and any father/daughter scene, I can't think of a book that made me cry.

Uriah Heep from David Copperfield

Diary in a good way

If this is different than favorite book then East of Eden

Moby Dick. I should have used the library for that one.

Pet Semetary

I can't think of any. I don't use reviews to pick books, however, even though I did like Kite Runner I didn't like it as much as everyone else seemed to.

Tideland by Mitch Cullin.

Charity (bigbookslut) | 1848 comments Julianne - I fear the day my kids want to read those books.

Macy | 156 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? Probably Jamie Fraser from Outlander and Harry Potter (I know everyone always picks someone else from the books, but I've always liked Harry)

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? David Sedaris' Naked and various parts of Harry Potter

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) I too am a bit of a sap about books, I get so involved with the characters! Recently it would be The Deathly Hallows or the final Gunslinger book.

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? I can't think of anyone other than Umbridge from Harry Potter that really got under my skin. I have a very hard time with characters (and people) that are willfully ignorant and continue on their path of obstruction out of obstinance and malice.

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? As I Lay Dying - I never really got into it and it seemed to wrap up a bit too quickly.

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? Harry Potter, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead and Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? See response to #9. I don't remember if I actually bought them or not, but someone at some point paid for them.

8- Which book scared you the most? Ghost Story by Peter Straub, Winter Moon by Dean Koontz and a short story in Everything's Eventual by Stephen King about a painting coming to life.

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. Probably either The Sun Also Rises or The Great Gatsby. I know they are both classics, but I thought they were terribly dull.

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. The Bee Keeper's Apprentice by Laurie King is a fun look at Sherlock Holmes post-retirement. Maia by Richard Adams is a fun, epic fantasy novel. It's the only other book of his I've read and it's so different from Watership Down!

Chloe (lolosrun) | 1135 comments the story about the spider that laid eggs in the girl's face freaked the hell out of me when I was a kid. Anything about insects/spiders burrowing/laying crap inside of me has always freaked me out. Then, Burroughs had a crippling fear of centipedes which seems well justified in light of this.

Charity (bigbookslut) | 1848 comments See...now I had to add Life in the Undergrowth to my queue. Damn you, Logan. :-)

Chloe (lolosrun) | 1135 comments We own nearlyall the David Attenborough/BBC series- Life of Birds, Life of Mammals, Blue Planet, Planet Earth (I greatly prefer Attenborough's naration to the American version with Sigourney Weaver). Blue Planet is my favorite, but we always select a disc at random to fall asleep to and end up too interested to sleep.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?
Eliza Bennett, in Pride and Prejudice.

Lucky Jim. (My father could hear me laughing. From upstairs!)

Possibly The Diary of Anne Frank.

Mr. Dombey in Dombey and Son, by Charles Dickens, is a real piece of work.

Novel: A Novel, by George Singleton.

Bleak House.

Not my money, because it was a birthday present, but Novel: A Novel.

I'm not much for scary books, really.

The Secret History, by Donna Tartt.

Dissolution, by C.J. Sansom. A great historical mystery set in the days of Henry VIII.

Liesl (LieslM) | 170 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in?

Jean Valjean in Les Miserables: I admire his spirit, his kindness, and his ability to love

I don't really read books that make me laugh much (hmm, perhaps I should start looking for more of those), but The Crazyladies of Pearl Street at times has such a deadpan delivery that it made me laugh out loud quite a few times, which was really fun.

It's hard to remember, but probably Flowers for Algernon; it's heartbreaking

Javert from Les Mis - just infuriating!

Hmmm . . . maybe The Hunt for Red October; I had a hard time following it

Oh, you guys will probably get sick of hearing about my fave 3 -- but, Les Miserables, Hawaii and Atlas Shrugged are books that now that I've read them just reside in my heart. I have to go back and re-read them occasionally. They're like old friends.

The Testament - oh, wait, I didn't buy that one. A co-worker gave it to me along with a hearty recommendation. Since it came so highly recommended I kept turning pages thinking surely this has to get better. It never did. It was a waste of time and, if I HAD paid for it, money. Don't waste yours.

The Amityville Horror. I was reading it at night on the couch and looked over to notice that the coat closet door was ajar. Scared me so bad I had to creep silently to the phone, call my sister and have her stay on the line (so she could hang up and call the police if I started screaming - Ha, ha!) while I checked to make sure there was no one in there. Not to worry, I was safe. I did keep reading, but was creeped out the whole time. Mind you, this happened, oh about 30 years ago, and I STILL remember it vividly. Gee, do you think I was scared?

There are several, but let's just say The Hobbit. I never could read it, couldn't get past, oh, about page 25. Just leaves me cold.

Diana by R.F. Delderfield. It's a story of love and dreams, unparalleled in devotion to character.

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? I like Weezie and BeBe in the Savannah Breeze/Blues novels by Mary Kay Andrews.

Believe it or not, A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!) Just Recently, Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? The husband in A Special Relationship by Douglas Kennedy

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Little Women...Everyone else has read it. I read it and hated it.

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? Little Women

8- Which book scared you the most? The Broken Window by Deaver because if all the information on identity theft. You wonder just how much fiction this was.

LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. A Transita book called "Emotional Geology" by Linda Goodard

Kristie (spedkristie) 1- Who is your favorite character and what novel were they in? ANNA IN MY SISTER'S KEEPER

2- Which book made you laugh the loudest? CANNOT THINK OF ANYTHING.

3- Which novel made you cry the hardest? (c'mon boys, dont be shy!)AT RISK BY ALICE HOFFMAN IS TIED WITH A WALK TO REMEMBER BY NICHOLAS SPARKS

4- Which Antagonist pissed you off the most and what novel were they in? GOTTA SAY PROFESSOR SNAPE!

5- Which novel left you scratching your head wondering what the heck had just happened? THE ROAD, I GET THE PREMISE BUT ????

6- Which book are you most glad to have read? THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES! LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT

7- Which book do you think was the biggest waste of your money? ATONEMENT!!!!!!!

8- Which book scared you the most? THE HANDMAID'S TALE BY MARGARET ATWOOD, IT REALLY COULD HAPPEN!

9- List a novel that you read because of all the great reviews and hype it got, but left you wondering what all the buzz was about. ATONEMENT, THE ROAD

10- List a novel that others may not have heard of, but that you really liked, and would like us to take a peek at. BECAUSE OF ROMEK BY DAVID FARBER

Boof Oooh, I love this.

Richard Parker in Life of Pi. I just love that tiger!

Starter for Ten by David Nicholl. I wept with laughter.

Oh, I cry all the time at books. My sisters Keeper, The Book Thief, but my all time weepy fest was The Good Women of China (I defy you not to shed a tear at that).

Conchis in The Magus

One hundred Years of Solitude. Eh?

Loads, but possibly Memoirs of a Geisha. So beautiful.

Loads again. If I had to chose then that godawful thing written by Madonna's brother!

Pop Goes the Weasil by James Patterson (read it on holiday when I had sunstroke and it gave me nightmares)

I would have to say The Book of Lost Things

The Magus by John Fowles

Chloe (lolosrun) | 1135 comments Seth, I've had Orbitsville recommended to me a lot recently. I'm going to have to track down a copy rather soon.

Chloe (lolosrun) | 1135 comments maybe it's just that you've mentioned it in a lot of different posts but it's one that I've noticed. The Goodreads reviews sound interesting too.

Liesl (LieslM) | 170 comments Oh boy, Seth, you've got me intrigued with Kentuckiana - one more addition to my TBR list.

Liesl (LieslM) | 170 comments Kristie Faye -- I'm with you on The Secret Life of Bees - it's superb and on e of my all-time faves! I was so sorry to turn the last page.

message 48: by Liesl (last edited Aug 08, 2008 04:53PM) (new)

Liesl (LieslM) | 170 comments Leppaluoto -- I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but I must disagree with you that Dan Brown should have been found guilty of plagiarism. A copyright protects someone's words, not ideas. According to the U.S. Copyright Office "Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed." http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq...

After all, how many times have classic plots like Romeo and Juliet been rewritten? Heck, the book we're reading now (BoLT) relies heavily on fairy tales someone wrote a long time ago. Does that make it plagiarism? Again, it's the work itself (the words and structure) that are protected by copyright, not the ideas.

In the world of academia, had he been writing a research paper, perhaps he would be guilty of plagiarism. In the world of fiction, it was his own words and story built around some other people's ideas. I see nothing wrong with that.

Mary | 16 comments Jessalina, I read Falling Leaves, which is the same story by the same author as Chinese Cinderalle, and I cried too. What a very sad story and knowing it was a true story made it even worse.

message 50: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Seth, I dont think I have heard of most of the books you have listed. Do you mind if I ask how you were drawn to them?

I know, for me, one tends to lead to another.... in a sense that, I will stumble upon one that caught my interest, and then search online for something similar. Ive hit quite a few gems (well, gems to me, anyway)that way, by accident. Novels or authors that were never recommended to me, that no one I knew had read, but that I had the luck of falling upon... Glen Duncan, David Maine, Jose Saramago, and amazingly great books that I may never had picked up otherwise.. The Coma, The Third Policeman... ect.

« previous 1 3